|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Annie's mother injured?
2. The handbag that Annie's mother buys is made of _____________.
3. Who is Annie's mother walking with in the department store when she is laughing?
4. What was the reason for the argument about a bra between Annie and her mother?
5. What physical manifestation does Annie experience as a result of her mother's decline?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the time period of this very short chapter?
2. How do Annie and her sons get offended by the behavior of visitors?
3. How does Annie get the content for I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
4. How does Annie's mother's body make her aware of her own aging process?
5. Does Annie believe she can do justice to her mother's ordeal by writing about it?
6. What is Annie reminded of when she visits her mother after a trip to Spain?
7. What does Annie recall as the last sentence her mother ever wrote?
8. What does it mean for Annie when her mother recognizes her?
9. Name some of the disturbing behaviors exhibited by Annie's mother.
10. In what way does Annie feel indifferent toward her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Guilt takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Does Ernaux end the book on a note of hope for herself or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with his flawed relationship and grief for her mother? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the dynamic of the mother-daughter role. Why is this relationship such a critical one for girls? How does the relationship between Annie and her mother exhibit in flashbacks? How is the relationship characterized in current time?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)