|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annie do as her mother sleeps?
2. What is the premise of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
3. Who does Annie bring into her home to live?
4. What is the purpose of the Preface?
5. What physical manifestation does Annie experience as a result of her mother's decline?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the irony of Annie's mother's comments as they relate to the events in Annie's life.
2. On what does Annie base the title of the book?
3. How do Annie and her sons get offended by the behavior of visitors?
4. How is the theme of role reversal explained as the story extends?
5. How does Annie's mother embarrass a sales clerk in a department store?
6. Name some of the disturbing behaviors exhibited by Annie's mother.
7. Name some of the motifs related to personal functioning that appear throughout I REMAIN IN DARKNESS.
8. What is the significance of Annie's mother dying on Easter Sunday?
9. What connection does Annie make between writing and memory?
10. How does Annie's mother's body make her aware of her own aging process?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of girls and women in mid-20th century France. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Alzheimer's Disease and all forms of dementia are met with intolerance from many in society. Do some research on the diseases and write an essay on the physical, emotional and cultural ramifications of these devastating illnesses for people and their families.
Essay Topic 3
Guilt takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,311 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)