|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the premise of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
2. What alarms Annie about her mother's daily life?
3. Annie has become her mother's _______________.
4. Annie's mother can no longer remember _______________.
5. On what year does this chapter focus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the focus of this chapter?
2. Why is Annie conflicted by reading and writing about her mother after her death?
3. How was the process of writing this book cathartic for Annie?
4. What is the state of Annie's mother's body and how does Annie relate to it?
5. What is the significance of Annie's mother dying on Easter Sunday?
6. What is Annie's reaction to seeing her mother behaving is such unusual ways?
7. How does Annie describe the nursing home?
8. On what does Annie base the title of the book?
9. Describe the feeling of nothingness that Annie experiences after the death of her mother?
10. What event in Annie's life parallels her mother's decline?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of girls and women in mid-20th century France. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in the book. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)