|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the reason for the argument about a bra between Annie and her mother?
2. Annie has to remind herself that the situation with her mother ___________________.
3. How many bras does Annie's mother put on at one time?
4. Annie comes to realize how ____________ memories are.
5. Annie has become her mother's _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the unexpected gesture from her mother that surprises and touches Annie?
2. Explain Annie's conflicted feelings when leaving her mother at the elevator in the hospital?
3. What does Annie say about the roommates her mother has in the hospital?
4. Name some of the odd functional behavior exhibited by Annie's mother during her illness.
5. What is the significance of Annie's mother dying on Easter Sunday?
6. What happens between Annie and her mother which is heartbreaking for Annie?
7. In what way does Annie feel indifferent toward her mother?
8. What mixed feelings does Annie have about her mother's "voice" in her head?
9. Name some of the memory-related problems Annie's mother experiences during this time.
10. What emotional motifs are repeated throughout I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the story I REMAIN IN DARKNESS? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Name and describe the three primary reasons Annie's diary is special. Compare it to similar famous diaries in history. How do diaries help us us understand personal and public histories?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)