|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the last sentence Annie's mother ever wrote?
2. Which of the following does Annie not do for her mother while she is in the hospital?
3. Annie's book talks about the juxtaposition of _______________.
4. Annie notes that Blanche's eyes are _________________.
5. What is the premise of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the feeling of nothingness that Annie experiences after the death of her mother?
2. What is the focus of this chapter?
3. Explain what Annie means by associating days in her own life with days in her mother's life.
4. How does Annie try to come to terms with the idea that her mother will die?
5. What was the nickname Annie gave her mother when she was only five-years-old?
6. What is the time period of this very short chapter?
7. How does Annie's mother begin to show violent tendencies?
8. What personal identity issues does Annie have regarding her birth and the death of her sister?
9. What does Annie recall as the last sentence her mother ever wrote?
10. What are Annie's plans for the notes she takes during her mother's illness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the people are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
There are several events of foreshadowing in the book. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in I REMAIN IN DARKNESS. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most French families living during the mid-20th century?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)