|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much content did Annie create with each diary entry?
2. What does Annie make her mother wear?
3. What is an important theme in the book?
4. Annie notes that Blanche's body __________________.
5. When is Annie's patience most tested with her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Annie's plans for the notes she takes during her mother's illness?
2. Describe the thoughts that Annie has of the circle of life concept.
3. What notes does Annie make about her mother on Easter Sunday?
4. What effect does Annie's mother's impending death have on Annie and her writing?
5. Name some of the odd functional behavior exhibited by Annie's mother during her illness.
6. What is Annie reminded of when her mother puts on two bras at one time?
7. What is the unexpected gesture from her mother that surprises and touches Annie?
8. What is the focus of this chapter?
9. How does Annie get the content for I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
10. How does Annie feel guilty about her mother's "darkness?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Ernaux end the book on a note of hope for herself or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with his flawed relationship and grief for her mother? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several metaphors in telling her story. Define a metaphor. Identify at least two metaphors in the story and support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Not being able to escape the past is an important theme in I REMAIN IN DARKNESS. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answers.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)