|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annie notes that Blanche's body __________________.
2. What is the premise of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
3. Which of the following does Annie not do for her mother while she is in the hospital?
4. When does Annie get the idea to publish her notes as a book?
5. Who is embarrassed by Annie's mother's behavior in the department store?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Annie recall as the last sentence her mother ever wrote?
2. In what way does Annie feel indifferent toward her mother?
3. What surprises Annie about the handbag purchase her mother makes?
4. How do Annie and her sons get offended by the behavior of visitors?
5. What is the focus of this chapter?
6. What was the nickname Annie gave her mother when she was only five-years-old?
7. Does Annie believe she can do justice to her mother's ordeal by writing about it?
8. How does Annie manage her mother's care when she begins to decline?
9. Name some of the disturbing behaviors exhibited by Annie's mother.
10. What emotional motifs are repeated throughout I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the people are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Does Ernaux end the book on a note of hope for herself or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with his flawed relationship and grief for her mother? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of girls and women in mid-20th century France. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)