|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Throughout the story, Annie has consistent feelings of __________.
2. Annie's mother lifts her legs and bends her knees in an exaggerated way ____________.
3. How do Annie's sons react when visitors laugh at Blanche?
4. What is a major motif in this chapter?
5. Of what is Annie reminded when her mother puts on two bras at one time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the focus of this chapter?
2. Name some of the disturbing behaviors exhibited by Annie's mother.
3. What two themes become evident in this chapter?
4. What effect does Annie's mother's impending death have on Annie and her writing?
5. How is the theme of role reversal explained as the story extends?
6. What does it mean for Annie when her mother recognizes her?
7. When does Annie's mother first begin to show signs of deterioration?
8. What is Annie reminded of when she visits her mother after a trip to Spain?
9. What is the purpose of the Preface in I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
10. What is the time period of this very short chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alzheimer's Disease and all forms of dementia are met with intolerance from many in society. Do some research on the diseases and write an essay on the physical, emotional and cultural ramifications of these devastating illnesses for people and their families.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the story I REMAIN IN DARKNESS? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
This section contains 1,281 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)