|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Throughout the story, Annie has consistent feelings of __________.
2. Where does Annie's mother go to live after she stays at Annie's house for awhile?
3. When does Annie's mother begin to show signs of deterioration?
4. Annie states that "The body I see ________________."
5. Who is the author of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Annie say about the roommates her mother has in the hospital?
2. What is the unexpected gesture from her mother that surprises and touches Annie?
3. What emotional motifs are repeated throughout I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
4. Why is Annie conflicted by reading and writing about her mother after her death?
5. What is Annie's reaction to seeing her mother behaving is such unusual ways?
6. What notes does Annie make about the death of her mother on April 7?
7. How does Annie manage her mother's care when she begins to decline?
8. Name some of the disturbing behaviors exhibited by Annie's mother.
9. How does Annie describe the nursing home?
10. How does Annie's mother embarrass a sales clerk in a department store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
I REMAIN IN DARKNESS is a classic reversal of roles story. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the dynamic of the mother-daughter role. Why is this relationship such a critical one for girls? How does the relationship between Annie and her mother exhibit in flashbacks? How is the relationship characterized in current time?
Essay Topic 3
The author provides her own perspective of the world throughout the story. Choose at least one situation in the book which also involves another person and create a brief synopsis of how he/she viewed the same situation.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)