|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annie notes that Blanche's eyes are _________________.
2. What is Annie's mother's name?
3. When does Annie's mother make exaggerated moves?
4. Which of the following does Annie's mother NOT do?
5. Blanche has always had a fear of poverty and ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Annie's conflicted feelings when leaving her mother at the elevator in the hospital?
2. Explain the irony of Annie's mother's comments as they relate to the events in Annie's life.
3. Explain what Annie means by associating days in her own life with days in her mother's life.
4. What is the state of Annie's mother's body and how does Annie relate to it?
5. How does Annie feel when she sees a woman talking to herself while shopping?
6. How do Annie and her sons get offended by the behavior of visitors?
7. What connection does Annie make between writing and memory?
8. What two themes become evident in this chapter?
9. How does Annie manage her mother's care when she begins to decline?
10. What physical pain does Annie develop in response to her mother's illness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alzheimer's Disease and all forms of dementia are met with intolerance from many in society. Do some research on the diseases and write an essay on the physical, emotional and cultural ramifications of these devastating illnesses for people and their families.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in the book. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,363 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)