|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Annie reminded when her mother puts on two bras at one time?
2. How does Annie document her mother's illness?
3. What does Annie's mother do as she walks through the department store?
4. The handbag that Annie's mother buys is made of _____________.
5. In what price range is the handbag that Annie's mother buys?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of role reversal explained as the story extends?
2. How does Annie try to come to terms with the idea that her mother will die?
3. What are some of the items that Annie notes that belong to her mother and how does she plan to get rid of them?
4. What does Annie recall as the last sentence her mother ever wrote?
5. What two themes become evident in this chapter?
6. What is the purpose of the Preface in I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
7. What is the significance of Annie's mother dying on Easter Sunday?
8. Explain Annie's conflicted feelings when leaving her mother at the elevator in the hospital?
9. How does Annie's mother's body make her aware of her own aging process?
10. Does Annie believe she can do justice to her mother's ordeal by writing about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the people?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several metaphors in telling her story. Define a metaphor. Identify at least two metaphors in the story and support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Alzheimer's Disease and all forms of dementia are met with intolerance from many in society. Do some research on the diseases and write an essay on the physical, emotional and cultural ramifications of these devastating illnesses for people and their families.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)