|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annie's book talks about the juxtaposition of _______________.
2. In what price range is the handbag that Annie's mother buys?
3. On what month does this chapter focus?
4. Annie's mother can no longer remember _______________.
5. Annie notes that Blanche's body __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Annie say about the roommates her mother has in the hospital?
2. Name some of the disturbing behaviors exhibited by Annie's mother.
3. Explain Annie's conflicted feelings when leaving her mother at the elevator in the hospital?
4. What are Annie's plans for the notes she takes during her mother's illness?
5. How do Annie and her sons get offended by the behavior of visitors?
6. Explain the irony of Annie's mother's comments as they relate to the events in Annie's life.
7. How does Annie get the content for I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
8. What is the state of Annie's mother's body and how does Annie relate to it?
9. How does Annie describe the nursing home?
10. How does Annie feel when she sees a woman talking to herself while shopping?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several metaphors in telling her story. Define a metaphor. Identify at least two metaphors in the story and support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Alzheimer's Disease and all forms of dementia are met with intolerance from many in society. Do some research on the diseases and write an essay on the physical, emotional and cultural ramifications of these devastating illnesses for people and their families.
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in the book. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,276 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)