|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annie's story addresses the changing role of _________________.
2. Which of the following does Annie's mother NOT do?
3. Throughout the story, Annie has consistent feelings of __________.
4. How does Annie document her mother's illness?
5. When does Annie's mother make exaggerated moves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What physical pain does Annie develop in response to her mother's illness?
2. What is Annie's reaction to seeing her mother behaving is such unusual ways?
3. In what way does Annie feel indifferent toward her mother?
4. Name some of the odd functional behavior exhibited by Annie's mother during her illness.
5. What is the unexpected gesture from her mother that surprises and touches Annie?
6. Name some of the disturbing behaviors exhibited by Annie's mother.
7. What is the purpose of the Preface in I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
8. When does Annie's mother first begin to show signs of deterioration?
9. What sorts of things does Annie do to take care of her mother's physical needs?
10. Describe the feeling of nothingness that Annie experiences after the death of her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Ernaux end the book on a note of hope for herself or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with his flawed relationship and grief for her mother? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author provides her own perspective of the world throughout the story. Choose at least one situation in the book which also involves another person and create a brief synopsis of how he/she viewed the same situation.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the story. What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the people?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)