Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what is the title of the book based?
2. Who does Annie bring into her home to live?
3. What physical manifestation does Annie experience as a result of her mother's decline?
4. In addition to Annie, who else lives in the home when Annie's mother comes to live there?
5. What does the author do with the events she summarizes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the Preface in I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
2. What is the unexpected gesture from her mother that surprises and touches Annie?
3. How does Annie take care of her mother's physical needs and how does her mother's condition affect her?
4. On what does Annie base the title of the book?
5. Explain what Annie means by associating days in her own life with days in her mother's life.
6. What is the premise of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
7. What happens between Annie and her mother which is heartbreaking for Annie?
8. What effect does Annie's mother's impending death have on Annie and her writing?
9. What notes does Annie make about the death of her mother on April 7?
10. What two themes become evident in this chapter?
Guilt takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Not being able to escape the past is an important theme in I REMAIN IN DARKNESS. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answers.
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)