|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reaction does Annie's mother cause in the department store?
2. When Annie was young, she believed her mother _________________.
3. Annie's story addresses the changing role of _________________.
4. What is the purpose of the Preface?
5. Throughout the story, Annie has consistent feelings of __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Annie feel indifferent toward her mother?
2. What mixed feelings does Annie have about her mother's "voice" in her head?
3. What is the premise of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
4. How does Annie manage her mother's care when she begins to decline?
5. What is Annie reminded of when she visits her mother after a trip to Spain?
6. What notes does Annie make about the death of her mother on April 7?
7. What is the time period of this very short chapter?
8. On what does Annie base the title of the book?
9. Explain what Annie means by associating days in her own life with days in her mother's life.
10. What notes does Annie make about her mother on Easter Sunday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in the book. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 3
Alzheimer's Disease and all forms of dementia are met with intolerance from many in society. Do some research on the diseases and write an essay on the physical, emotional and cultural ramifications of these devastating illnesses for people and their families.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)