|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following elements does Annie not document regarding her mother's illness?
2. How old was Annie when she had an argument with her mother about a bra?
3. Which of the following does NOT describe Blanche?
4. With what does Annie come to terms in this book?
5. What alarms Annie about her mother's daily life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the state of Annie's mother's body and how does Annie relate to it?
2. What is the time period of this very short chapter?
3. How does Annie describe the nursing home?
4. How do Annie and her sons get offended by the behavior of visitors?
5. How did Annie's grandmother's death affect Annie's mother?
6. What is the purpose of the Preface in I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
7. Explain Annie's conflicted feelings when leaving her mother at the elevator in the hospital?
8. How does Annie get the content for I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
9. What notes does Annie make about her mother on Easter Sunday?
10. On what does Annie base the title of the book?
Essay Topic 1
The author provides her own perspective of the world throughout the story. Choose at least one situation in the book which also involves another person and create a brief synopsis of how he/she viewed the same situation.
Essay Topic 2
I REMAIN IN DARKNESS is a classic reversal of roles story. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Annie. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her, if anything, at this point in her life?
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)