|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annie would rather accept her mother's ____________ instead of her death.
2. Her mother's physical state forces Annie to acknowledge _____________________.
3. Annie's book talks about the juxtaposition of _______________.
4. Who is Annie's mother walking with in the department store when she is laughing?
5. What is the premise of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event in Annie's life parallels her mother's decline?
2. What connection does Annie make between writing and memory?
3. Explain the irony of Annie's mother's comments as they relate to the events in Annie's life.
4. Name some of the memory-related problems Annie's mother experiences during this time.
5. How does Annie get the content for I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
6. What does the author mean by everything being in the past tense now?
7. What two themes become evident in this chapter?
8. Explain what Annie means by associating days in her own life with days in her mother's life.
9. On what does Annie base the title of the book?
10. What notes does Annie make about her mother on Easter Sunday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the people are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2Explain the role of girls and women in mid-20th century France. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3Create a brief character study of Annie. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her, if anything, at this point in her life?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)