|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Annie's patience most tested with her mother?
2. What does Annie note about the hospital where her mother is staying?
3. What does Annie describe in this chapter?
4. Why does Annie's mother buy such an expensive handbag?
5. What is an important theme in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it mean for Annie when her mother recognizes her?
2. How is the theme of role reversal explained as the story extends?
3. Does Annie believe she can do justice to her mother's ordeal by writing about it?
4. What two themes become evident in this chapter?
5. What is the unexpected gesture from her mother that surprises and touches Annie?
6. What physical pain does Annie develop in response to her mother's illness?
7. How does Annie's mother embarrass a sales clerk in a department store?
8. What is the state of Annie's mother's body and how does Annie relate to it?
9. In what way does Annie feel indifferent toward her mother?
10. How does Annie try to come to terms with the idea that her mother will die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in the book. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)