Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what is the title of the book based?
2. Who does Annie bring into her home to live?
3. What physical manifestation does Annie experience as a result of her mother's decline?
4. In addition to Annie, who else lives in the home when Annie's mother comes to live there?
5. What does the author do with the events she summarizes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the Preface in I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
2. What is the unexpected gesture from her mother that surprises and touches Annie?
3. How does Annie take care of her mother's physical needs and how does her mother's condition affect her?
4. On what does Annie base the title of the book?
5. Explain what Annie means by associating days in her own life with days in her mother's life.
6. What is the premise of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
7. What happens between Annie and her mother which is heartbreaking for Annie?
8. What effect does Annie's mother's impending death have on Annie and her writing?
9. What notes does Annie make about the death of her mother on April 7?
10. What two themes become evident in this chapter?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the people?
Essay Topic 2
I REMAIN IN DARKNESS is a classic reversal of roles story. What does that classification entail? Why does this story fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)