|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who can Annie's mother no longer remember?
2. Whose changes does Annie describe?
3. What was the reason for the argument about a bra between Annie and her mother?
4. Who wrote the sentence, "I remain in darkness?"
5. What does Annie note about the hospital where her mother is staying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does Annie's mother's impending death have on Annie and her writing?
2. Describe the thoughts that Annie has of the circle of life concept.
3. Does Annie believe she can do justice to her mother's ordeal by writing about it?
4. What two themes become evident in this chapter?
5. What notes does Annie make about the death of her mother on April 7?
6. How does Annie feel guilty about her mother's "darkness?"
7. How does Annie try to come to terms with the idea that her mother will die?
8. Why is Annie conflicted by reading and writing about her mother after her death?
9. What is the premise of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
10. Explain what Annie means by associating days in her own life with days in her mother's life.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several metaphors in telling her story. Define a metaphor. Identify at least two metaphors in the story and support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the story I REMAIN IN DARKNESS? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Not being able to escape the past is an important theme in I REMAIN IN DARKNESS. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answers.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)