|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Annie when she had an argument with her mother about a bra?
2. What does Annie describe in this chapter?
3. Who can Annie's mother no longer remember?
4. Annie states that "The body I see ________________."
5. Which of the following elements does Annie not document regarding her mother's illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Annie's mother's body make her aware of her own aging process?
2. How did Annie's grandmother's death affect Annie's mother?
3. How was the process of writing this book cathartic for Annie?
4. What personal identity issues does Annie have regarding her birth and the death of her sister?
5. What does the author mean by everything being in the past tense now?
6. How does Annie take care of her mother's physical needs and how does her mother's condition affect her?
7. How does Annie feel guilty about her mother's "darkness?"
8. What is the state of Annie's mother's body and how does Annie relate to it?
9. How does Annie describe the nursing home?
10. On what does Annie base the title of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Guilt takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the story I REMAIN IN DARKNESS? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)