|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annie notes that Blanche's body __________________.
2. What physical manifestation does Annie experience as a result of her mother's decline?
3. What was the last sentence Annie's mother ever wrote?
4. Annie's book talks about the juxtaposition of _______________.
5. What physical ailment does Annie experience lately?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Annie and her sons get offended by the behavior of visitors?
2. How does Annie's mother's body make her aware of her own aging process?
3. What does the author mean by everything being in the past tense now?
4. When does Annie's mother first begin to show signs of deterioration?
5. What is the purpose of the Preface in I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
6. Name some of the memory-related problems Annie's mother experiences during this time.
7. What is Annie's reaction to seeing her mother behaving is such unusual ways?
8. What does Annie say about the roommates her mother has in the hospital?
9. What connection does Annie make between writing and memory?
10. What does Annie recall about her mother's temperament?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the story I REMAIN IN DARKNESS? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Annie's mother. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What is important to her, if anything, at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Annie. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her, if anything, at this point in her life?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)