|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an important theme in the book?
2. What is the purpose of the Preface?
3. Annie's mother lifts her legs and bends her knees in an exaggerated way ____________.
4. What does Annie describe in this chapter?
5. How old was Annie when she had an argument with her mother about a bra?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Annie manage her mother's care when she begins to decline?
2. How does Annie's mother's body make her aware of her own aging process?
3. Explain what Annie means by associating days in her own life with days in her mother's life.
4. How does Annie try to come to terms with the idea that her mother will die?
5. How does Annie feel when she sees a woman talking to herself while shopping?
6. What does Annie recall about her mother's temperament?
7. How does Annie describe the nursing home?
8. Explain Annie's conflicted feelings when leaving her mother at the elevator in the hospital?
9. Explain the irony of Annie's mother's comments as they relate to the events in Annie's life.
10. What is the purpose of the Preface in I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Annie. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her, if anything, at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several metaphors in telling her story. Define a metaphor. Identify at least two metaphors in the story and support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Alzheimer's Disease and all forms of dementia are met with intolerance from many in society. Do some research on the diseases and write an essay on the physical, emotional and cultural ramifications of these devastating illnesses for people and their families.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)