|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose feelings does Annie examine primarily in the book?
2. Which of the following does NOT describe Blanche?
3. Where does Annie's mother go to live after she stays at Annie's house for awhile?
4. With what does Annie come to terms in this book?
5. Annie's book makes a connection between writing and ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Annie's mother dying on Easter Sunday?
2. Explain the irony of Annie's mother's comments as they relate to the events in Annie's life.
3. What notes does Annie make about the death of her mother on April 7?
4. What is the state of Annie's mother's body and how does Annie relate to it?
5. What physical pain does Annie develop in response to her mother's illness?
6. Explain Annie's conflicted feelings when leaving her mother at the elevator in the hospital?
7. What does it mean for Annie when her mother recognizes her?
8. What personal identity issues does Annie have regarding her birth and the death of her sister?
9. How is the theme of role reversal explained as the story extends?
10. In what way does Annie feel indifferent toward her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the people?
Essay Topic 2
There are several events of foreshadowing in the book. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
The author provides her own perspective of the world throughout the story. Choose at least one situation in the book which also involves another person and create a brief synopsis of how he/she viewed the same situation.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)