|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the handbag that Annie's mother buys?
2. Who can Annie's mother no longer remember?
3. Annie's story explores the connection between ___________________.
4. Annie feels more indifferent than angry at her mother's ________________.
5. What are Annie's intentions for her journal notes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two themes become evident in this chapter?
2. Explain Annie's conflicted feelings when leaving her mother at the elevator in the hospital?
3. What is the time period of this very short chapter?
4. What happens between Annie and her mother which is heartbreaking for Annie?
5. How did Annie's grandmother's death affect Annie's mother?
6. Name some of the odd functional behavior exhibited by Annie's mother during her illness.
7. How is the theme of role reversal explained as the story extends?
8. When does Annie's mother first begin to show signs of deterioration?
9. On what does Annie base the title of the book?
10. What physical pain does Annie develop in response to her mother's illness?
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in the book. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Does Ernaux end the book on a note of hope for herself or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with his flawed relationship and grief for her mother? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Alzheimer's Disease and all forms of dementia are met with intolerance from many in society. Do some research on the diseases and write an essay on the physical, emotional and cultural ramifications of these devastating illnesses for people and their families.
This section contains 1,286 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)