|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annie notes that Blanche's eyes are _________________.
2. Annie feels more indifferent than angry at her mother's ________________.
3. Who is Annie's mother walking with in the department store when she is laughing?
4. Who can Annie's mother no longer remember?
5. Annie's story addresses the changing role of _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the feeling of nothingness that Annie experiences after the death of her mother?
2. In what way does Annie feel indifferent toward her mother?
3. How does Annie's mother's body make her aware of her own aging process?
4. How does Annie feel guilty about her mother's "darkness?"
5. Does Annie believe she can do justice to her mother's ordeal by writing about it?
6. Explain the irony of Annie's mother's comments as they relate to the events in Annie's life.
7. How does Annie's mother embarrass a sales clerk in a department store?
8. What notes does Annie make about her mother on Easter Sunday?
9. What does the author mean by everything being in the past tense now?
10. How did Annie's grandmother's death affect Annie's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in I REMAIN IN DARKNESS. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family to most French families living during the mid-20th century?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Does Ernaux end the book on a note of hope for herself or the continuance of her struggle to come to terms with his flawed relationship and grief for her mother? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)