|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annie make her mother wear?
2. When does Annie's mother make exaggerated moves?
3. On what month does this chapter focus?
4. Where does Annie's mother get lost?
5. Who wrote the sentence, "I remain in darkness?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Annie say about the roommates her mother has in the hospital?
2. What is Annie's reaction to seeing her mother behaving is such unusual ways?
3. What personal identity issues does Annie have regarding her birth and the death of her sister?
4. How does Annie's mother begin to show violent tendencies?
5. How does Annie feel when she sees a woman talking to herself while shopping?
6. What is the state of Annie's mother's body and how does Annie relate to it?
7. What is the focus of this chapter?
8. How does Annie describe the nursing home?
9. What was the nickname Annie gave her mother when she was only five-years-old?
10. What event in Annie's life parallels her mother's decline?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several metaphors in telling her story. Define a metaphor. Identify at least two metaphors in the story and support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the people are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)