|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Annie's mother go to live after she stays at Annie's house for awhile?
2. Annie's story explores the connection between ___________________.
3. What does Annie do as her mother sleeps?
4. What is it about her mother's physical appearance that is most distressing for Annie?
5. In what circumstance does Blanche ironically ask Annie a question?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Annie's reaction to seeing her mother behaving is such unusual ways?
2. How does Annie describe the nursing home?
3. What gesture does Annie's mother make that reminds Annie of her mother's personality?
4. Does Annie believe she can do justice to her mother's ordeal by writing about it?
5. What is the state of Annie's mother's body and how does Annie relate to it?
6. What are some of the items that Annie notes that belong to her mother and how does she plan to get rid of them?
7. What are Annie's plans for the notes she takes during her mother's illness?
8. In what way does Annie feel indifferent toward her mother?
9. What is Annie reminded of when her mother puts on two bras at one time?
10. What emotional motifs are repeated throughout I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name and describe the three primary reasons Annie's diary is special. Compare it to similar famous diaries in history. How do diaries help us us understand personal and public histories?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of girls and women in mid-20th century France. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several metaphors in telling her story. Define a metaphor. Identify at least two metaphors in the story and support your answers.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)