|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annie states that "The body I see ________________."
2. Who is Annie's mother walking with in the department store when she is laughing?
3. Who is embarrassed by Annie's mother's behavior in the department store?
4. What alarms Annie about her mother's daily life?
5. Who is the author of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Annie recall about her mother's temperament?
2. Describe the thoughts that Annie has of the circle of life concept.
3. What personal identity issues does Annie have regarding her birth and the death of her sister?
4. Name some of the disturbing behaviors exhibited by Annie's mother.
5. What physical pain does Annie develop in response to her mother's illness?
6. Explain the irony of Annie's mother's comments as they relate to the events in Annie's life.
7. What is the time period of this very short chapter?
8. How is the theme of role reversal explained as the story extends?
9. Explain Annie's conflicted feelings when leaving her mother at the elevator in the hospital?
10. How did Annie's grandmother's death affect Annie's mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Name and describe the three primary reasons Annie's diary is special. Compare it to similar famous diaries in history. How do diaries help us us understand personal and public histories?
Essay Topic 3
The author provides her own perspective of the world throughout the story. Choose at least one situation in the book which also involves another person and create a brief synopsis of how he/she viewed the same situation.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)