|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what is the title of the book based?
2. Who does Annie bring into her home to live?
3. What physical manifestation does Annie experience as a result of her mother's decline?
4. In addition to Annie, who else lives in the home when Annie's mother comes to live there?
5. What does the author do with the events she summarizes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the Preface in I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
2. What is the unexpected gesture from her mother that surprises and touches Annie?
3. How does Annie take care of her mother's physical needs and how does her mother's condition affect her?
4. On what does Annie base the title of the book?
5. Explain what Annie means by associating days in her own life with days in her mother's life.
6. What is the premise of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
7. What happens between Annie and her mother which is heartbreaking for Annie?
8. What effect does Annie's mother's impending death have on Annie and her writing?
9. What notes does Annie make about the death of her mother on April 7?
10. What two themes become evident in this chapter?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What did the author mean by calling the story I REMAIN IN DARKNESS? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of girls and women in mid-20th century France. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 1,368 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)