|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what year does this chapter focus?
2. In what circumstance does Blanche ironically ask Annie a question?
(a) When she failed her driver's test.
(b) When she fell down stairs.
(c) When she wrecked the car.
(d) When she has an appointment to file for divorce.
3. What color is the handbag that Annie's mother buys?
4. Which of the following does Annie's mother NOT do?
(a) Talks to imaginary people.
(b) Dials psychic hotline numbers.
(c) Hides her soiled clothing.
(d) Goes to the bathroom in her underwear.
5. Whose changes does Annie describe?
(a) Her own.
(b) Her younger son's.
(c) Her husband's.
(d) Her mother's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author do with the events she summarizes?
2. The handbag that Annie's mother buys is made of _____________.
3. What is Annie's mother's name?
4. Annie comes to realize how ____________ memories are.
5. What is a major motif in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
2. What surprises Annie about the handbag purchase her mother makes?
3. What effect does Annie's mother's impending death have on Annie and her writing?
4. How does Annie's mother begin to show violent tendencies?
5. How do Annie and her sons get offended by the behavior of visitors?
6. In what way does Annie feel indifferent toward her mother?
7. What event in Annie's life parallels her mother's decline?
8. How was the process of writing this book cathartic for Annie?
9. How does Annie take care of her mother's physical needs and how does her mother's condition affect her?
10. Does Annie believe she can do justice to her mother's ordeal by writing about it?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)