|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Annie has become her mother's _______________.
(a) Hair stylist.
(d) Best friend.
2. In addition to Annie, who else lives in the home when Annie's mother comes to live there?
(a) Annie's sons.
(b) Annie's mother-in-law.
(c) Annie's sister.
(d) Annie's husband.
3. Annie notes that Blanche's eyes are _________________.
(d) Red and sunken.
4. On what month does this chapter focus?
5. Her mother's physical state forces Annie to acknowledge _____________________.
(a) She needs better doctors.
(b) She probably inherited this.
(c) Her own mortality.
(d) The ultimate death of her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annie make her mother wear?
2. Which of the following does Annie NOT note about the hospital?
3. Annie's book makes a connection between writing and ____________________.
4. Annie has to remind herself that the situation with her mother ___________________.
5. Where does Annie's mother go to live after she stays at Annie's house for awhile?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Annie feel indifferent toward her mother?
2. What is the premise of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
3. What is the state of Annie's mother's body and how does Annie relate to it?
4. How does Annie's mother begin to show violent tendencies?
5. Explain Annie's conflicted feelings when leaving her mother at the elevator in the hospital?
6. Name some of the motifs related to personal functioning that appear throughout I REMAIN IN DARKNESS.
7. What gesture does Annie's mother make that reminds Annie of her mother's personality?
8. How does Annie try to come to terms with the idea that her mother will die?
9. How does Annie take care of her mother's physical needs and how does her mother's condition affect her?
10. How did Annie's grandmother's death affect Annie's mother?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)