|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Annie's mother puts on more than one ___________.
2. One of Blanche's roommates is __________________.
(a) A crier.
(b) A screamer.
(c) A novelist.
(d) A nurse.
3. When Annie was young, she believed her mother _________________.
(a) Was a beauty queen.
(b) Was comedic.
(c) Knew everything.
(d) Was a shrew.
4. When Blanche's needs change she is moved to ________________.
(a) A mental hospital.
(b) An assisted living apartment.
(c) A geriatric ward.
(d) Intensive care unit.
5. Annie's story explores the connection between ___________________.
(a) Brother and sister.
(b) Husband and wife.
(c) Father and son.
(d) Mother and daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who can Annie's mother no longer remember?
2. Why does Annie's mother buy such an expensive handbag?
3. What does the author do with the events she summarizes?
4. When is Annie's patience most tested with her mother?
5. One of Blanche's roommates reminds Annie of _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the irony of Annie's mother's comments as they relate to the events in Annie's life.
2. What does it mean for Annie when her mother recognizes her?
3. What is the focus of this chapter?
4. What surprises Annie about the handbag purchase her mother makes?
5. Why is Annie conflicted by reading and writing about her mother after her death?
6. What personal identity issues does Annie have regarding her birth and the death of her sister?
7. What mixed feelings does Annie have about her mother's "voice" in her head?
8. What does Annie recall about her mother's temperament?
9. How did Annie's grandmother's death affect Annie's mother?
10. How does Annie feel guilty about her mother's "darkness?"
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)