|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Annie document her mother's illness?
(a) Shoots video.
(b) Makes audio tapes.
(c) Takes notes.
(d) Takes Polaroids.
2. Which of the following does Annie NOT note about the hospital?
(a) The patients act the same way over and over.
(b) The same visitors are always there.
(c) Visits with her mother are always the same.
(d) It is a very clean facility.
3. Annie notes that Blanche's eyes are _________________.
(a) Red and sunken.
4. Annie feels more indifferent than angry at her mother's ________________.
(a) Loss of memory.
(c) Eating habits.
(d) Bodily functions.
5. On what is the title of the book based?
(a) A line in a poem.
(b) A sentence written by someone.
(c) A phrase uttered during a dream.
(d) A scream in a hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what year does this chapter focus?
2. What is an important theme in the book?
3. Which of the following does NOT describe Blanche?
4. Whose feelings does Annie examine primarily in the book?
5. On what month does this chapter focus?
Short Essay Questions
1. On what does Annie base the title of the book?
2. Explain the irony of Annie's mother's comments as they relate to the events in Annie's life.
3. What physical pain does Annie develop in response to her mother's illness?
4. What emotional motifs are repeated throughout I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
5. What mixed feelings does Annie have about her mother's "voice" in her head?
6. How does Annie get the content for I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
7. What was the nickname Annie gave her mother when she was only five-years-old?
8. What are some of the items that Annie notes that belong to her mother and how does she plan to get rid of them?
9. What is the focus of this chapter?
10. What is the unexpected gesture from her mother that surprises and touches Annie?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)