|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Annie's book talks about the juxtaposition of _______________.
(a) The right.
(b) The beginning.
(c) The left.
2. Who is Annie's mother walking with in the department store when she is laughing?
(a) Her husband.
(d) Her grandson.
3. Whose changes does Annie describe?
(a) Her own.
(b) Her mother's.
(c) Her younger son's.
(d) Her husband's.
4. What is the premise of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
(a) The gradual decline of Annie's mother.
(b) A hostage tells her story to Annie.
(c) The experience of Annie going blind.
(d) A young girl in the South shares her diary.
5. One of Blanche's roommates is __________________.
(a) A crier.
(b) A nurse.
(c) A screamer.
(d) A novelist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annie's mother want to buy?
2. Annie's mother puts on more than one ___________.
3. Annie would rather accept her mother's ____________ instead of her death.
4. How old was Annie when she had an argument with her mother about a bra?
5. How many bras does Annie's mother put on at one time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
2. What is the unexpected gesture from her mother that surprises and touches Annie?
3. How is the theme of role reversal explained as the story extends?
4. What are Annie's plans for the notes she takes during her mother's illness?
5. How does Annie's mother embarrass a sales clerk in a department store?
6. What effect does Annie's mother's impending death have on Annie and her writing?
7. How does Annie try to come to terms with the idea that her mother will die?
8. Does Annie believe she can do justice to her mother's ordeal by writing about it?
9. What notes does Annie make about her mother on Easter Sunday?
10. How does Annie's mother begin to show violent tendencies?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)