|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Annie's mother can no longer remember _______________.
(a) Her age.
(b) Her name.
(c) Her birthday.
(d) Her address.
2. Which of the following does Annie's mother NOT do?
(a) Talks to imaginary people.
(b) Goes to the bathroom in her underwear.
(c) Dials psychic hotline numbers.
(d) Hides her soiled clothing.
3. When does Annie's mother approach her about being ashamed of Annie's behavior?
(a) When she made love with a man not her husband.
(b) When she wrote a bad check.
(c) When she slapped her son.
(d) When she wrecked the car.
4. What was the last sentence Annie's mother ever wrote?
(a) I love you all.
(b) I remain in darkness.
(c) Life is so good.
(d) I am so tired.
5. Throughout the story, Annie has consistent feelings of __________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following has Blanche not done by the middle of 1984?
2. Which of the following does Annie not do for her mother while she is in the hospital?
3. What does Annie note about the hospital where her mother is staying?
4. In addition to Annie, who else lives in the home when Annie's mother comes to live there?
5. In what circumstance does Blanche ironically ask Annie a question?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Annie feel when she sees a woman talking to herself while shopping?
2. What emotional motifs are repeated throughout I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
3. What are some of the items that Annie notes that belong to her mother and how does she plan to get rid of them?
4. What does Annie recall about her mother's temperament?
5. How do Annie and her sons get offended by the behavior of visitors?
6. What is Annie reminded of when she visits her mother after a trip to Spain?
7. How is the theme of role reversal explained as the story extends?
8. Name some of the motifs related to personal functioning that appear throughout I REMAIN IN DARKNESS.
9. Does Annie believe she can do justice to her mother's ordeal by writing about it?
10. What two themes become evident in this chapter?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)