|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what is the title of the book based?
(a) A line in a poem.
(b) A scream in a hospital.
(c) A phrase uttered during a dream.
(d) A sentence written by someone.
2. Who does Annie bring into her home to live?
(a) Her stepson.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her mother-in-law.
3. What physical manifestation does Annie experience as a result of her mother's decline?
(b) Stomach pains.
(d) Dizzy spells.
4. In addition to Annie, who else lives in the home when Annie's mother comes to live there?
(a) Annie's mother-in-law.
(b) Annie's husband.
(c) Annie's sons.
(d) Annie's sister.
5. What does the author do with the events she summarizes?
(a) She documents her pregnancy.
(b) She teaches Alzheimer's support classes.
(c) She bases her book on them.
(d) She teaches journaling classes.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Annie's mother begin to show signs of deterioration?
2. Annie notes that Blanche's body __________________.
3. How does Annie's mother sit?
4. One of Blanche's roommates is __________________.
5. The handbag that Annie's mother buys is made of _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the Preface in I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
2. What is the unexpected gesture from her mother that surprises and touches Annie?
3. How does Annie take care of her mother's physical needs and how does her mother's condition affect her?
4. On what does Annie base the title of the book?
5. Explain what Annie means by associating days in her own life with days in her mother's life.
6. What is the premise of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
7. What happens between Annie and her mother which is heartbreaking for Annie?
8. What effect does Annie's mother's impending death have on Annie and her writing?
9. What notes does Annie make about the death of her mother on April 7?
10. What two themes become evident in this chapter?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)