|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what circumstance does Blanche ironically ask Annie a question?
(a) When she fell down stairs.
(b) When she failed her driver's test.
(c) When she wrecked the car.
(d) When she has an appointment to file for divorce.
2. Why does Annie's mother buy such an expensive handbag?
(a) She wants it to last forever.
(b) She is going out and wants to look nice.
(c) It will be her last one.
(d) It coordinates with everything.
3. When does Annie's mother begin to show signs of deterioration?
(a) Autumn of 1964.
(b) Winter of 1982.
(c) Summer of 1972.
(d) Summer of 1983.
4. Whose changes does Annie describe?
(a) Her own.
(b) Her mother's.
(c) Her younger son's.
(d) Her husband's.
5. What physical manifestation does Annie experience as a result of her mother's decline?
(b) Dizzy spells.
(d) Stomach pains.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following has Blanche not done by the middle of 1984?
2. Which of the following elements does Annie not document regarding her mother's illness?
3. What is it about her mother's physical appearance that is most distressing for Annie?
4. Annie's mother puts on more than one ___________.
5. Who does Annie bring into her home to live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the feeling of nothingness that Annie experiences after the death of her mother?
2. Does Annie believe she can do justice to her mother's ordeal by writing about it?
3. Explain Annie's conflicted feelings when leaving her mother at the elevator in the hospital?
4. What notes does Annie make about the death of her mother on April 7?
5. What is the premise of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
6. What gesture does Annie's mother make that reminds Annie of her mother's personality?
7. When does Annie's mother first begin to show signs of deterioration?
8. How does Annie's mother embarrass a sales clerk in a department store?
9. What connection does Annie make between writing and memory?
10. What notes does Annie make about her mother on Easter Sunday?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)