|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The handbag that Annie's mother buys is made of _____________.
2. Her mother's physical state forces Annie to acknowledge _____________________.
(a) She probably inherited this.
(b) She needs better doctors.
(c) The ultimate death of her mother.
(d) Her own mortality.
3. Annie's mother is moved to a medical facility because she _____________________.
(a) Doesn't like living in somebody else's house.
(b) Is scared at the house.
(c) Becomes very ill and needs special care.
(d) Doesn't like living alone.
4. Which of the following has Blanche not done by the middle of 1984?
(a) Isolated herself from others.
(b) Turned apathetic about everything.
(c) Balanced her checkbook.
(d) Lost all her possessions.
5. What reaction does Annie's mother cause in the department store?
Short Answer Questions
1. Annie notes that Blanche's body __________________.
2. How much content did Annie create with each diary entry?
3. Annie's mother lifts her legs and bends her knees in an exaggerated way ____________.
4. What alarms Annie about her mother's daily life?
5. Annie would rather accept her mother's ____________ instead of her death.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
2. Name some of the odd functional behavior exhibited by Annie's mother during her illness.
3. What does the author mean by everything being in the past tense now?
4. What gesture does Annie's mother make that reminds Annie of her mother's personality?
5. Explain Annie's conflicted feelings when leaving her mother at the elevator in the hospital?
6. How is the theme of role reversal explained as the story extends?
7. What happens between Annie and her mother which is heartbreaking for Annie?
8. What is Annie's reaction to seeing her mother behaving is such unusual ways?
9. What does Annie recall as the last sentence her mother ever wrote?
10. What is Annie reminded of when her mother puts on two bras at one time?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)