|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Annie's mother NOT do?
(a) Dials psychic hotline numbers.
(b) Hides her soiled clothing.
(c) Goes to the bathroom in her underwear.
(d) Talks to imaginary people.
2. Where does Annie's mother go to live after she stays at Annie's house for awhile?
(a) A full-time medical facility.
(b) An assisted living apartment.
(c) She dies.
(d) She returns to her own home.
3. The handbag that Annie's mother buys is made of _____________.
4. What physical manifestation does Annie experience as a result of her mother's decline?
(a) Dizzy spells.
(b) Stomach pains.
5. Which of the following has Blanche not done by the middle of 1984?
(a) Isolated herself from others.
(b) Lost all her possessions.
(c) Turned apathetic about everything.
(d) Balanced her checkbook.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annie feels emotional and _____________ connections with her mother.
2. What alarms Annie about her mother's daily life?
3. Which member of Annie's family had been injured?
4. What physical ailment does Annie experience lately?
5. What does Annie do as her mother sleeps?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
2. What emotional motifs are repeated throughout I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
3. What does Annie say about the roommates her mother has in the hospital?
4. What are Annie's plans for the notes she takes during her mother's illness?
5. What notes does Annie make about her mother on Easter Sunday?
6. What is the significance of Annie's mother dying on Easter Sunday?
7. What sorts of things does Annie do to take care of her mother's physical needs?
8. What gesture does Annie's mother make that reminds Annie of her mother's personality?
9. How does Annie's mother embarrass a sales clerk in a department store?
10. Why is Annie conflicted by reading and writing about her mother after her death?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)