|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reaction does Annie's mother cause in the department store?
2. What alarms Annie about her mother's daily life?
(a) She can't be trusted with matches.
(b) She pours bleach on her clothes.
(c) She gave away her watch.
(d) She doesn't look for her cologne.
3. Which of the following elements does Annie not document regarding her mother's illness?
(c) Bodily functions.
4. What is the purpose of the Preface?
(a) The author gives acknowledgements.
(b) The author summarizes events.
(c) The author tells her personal history.
(d) The author provides her resume.
5. What does the author do with the events she summarizes?
(a) She teaches Alzheimer's support classes.
(b) She teaches journaling classes.
(c) She documents her pregnancy.
(d) She bases her book on them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annie finds herself feeling ____________ toward her mother.
2. What is it about her mother's physical appearance that is most distressing for Annie?
3. When does Annie's mother approach her about being ashamed of Annie's behavior?
4. Throughout the story, Annie has consistent feelings of __________.
5. How old was Annie when she had an argument with her mother about a bra?
Short Essay Questions
1. On what does Annie base the title of the book?
2. What notes does Annie make about the death of her mother on April 7?
3. Does Annie believe she can do justice to her mother's ordeal by writing about it?
4. Explain what Annie means by associating days in her own life with days in her mother's life.
5. What does Annie recall about her mother's temperament?
6. Describe the feeling of nothingness that Annie experiences after the death of her mother?
7. Explain Annie's conflicted feelings when leaving her mother at the elevator in the hospital?
8. How does Annie take care of her mother's physical needs and how does her mother's condition affect her?
9. What happens between Annie and her mother which is heartbreaking for Annie?
10. Why is Annie conflicted by reading and writing about her mother after her death?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)