|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of Blanche's roommates reminds Annie of _____________________.
(a) A beauty queen.
(b) A comedian.
(c) A prison warden.
(d) A prisoner of Buchenwald.
2. Annie has to remind herself that the situation with her mother ___________________.
(a) Is a payback.
(b) Is impossible.
(c) Is reality.
(d) Is just temporary.
3. Where does Annie's mother get lost?
(a) At church.
(b) In the house.
(c) In the neighborhood.
(d) At the mall.
4. Annie's story explores the connection between ___________________.
(a) Husband and wife.
(b) Mother and daughter.
(c) Brother and sister.
(d) Father and son.
5. What does Annie describe in this chapter?
(a) Her summer vacation.
(b) The autumn leaves.
(c) Physical and mental changes.
(d) Her Christmas decorations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annie's book makes a connection between writing and ____________________.
2. When Annie was young, she believed her mother _________________.
3. One of Blanche's roommates is __________________.
4. Whose changes does Annie describe?
5. The handbag that Annie's mother buys is made of _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it mean for Annie when her mother recognizes her?
2. Name some of the motifs related to personal functioning that appear throughout I REMAIN IN DARKNESS.
3. How does Annie's mother's body make her aware of her own aging process?
4. What is Annie reminded of when her mother puts on two bras at one time?
5. Does Annie believe she can do justice to her mother's ordeal by writing about it?
6. What surprises Annie about the handbag purchase her mother makes?
7. How does Annie feel when she sees a woman talking to herself while shopping?
8. How does Annie take care of her mother's physical needs and how does her mother's condition affect her?
9. Explain the irony of Annie's mother's comments as they relate to the events in Annie's life.
10. What are Annie's plans for the notes she takes during her mother's illness?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)