|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Annie's mother NOT do?
(a) Goes to the bathroom in her underwear.
(b) Dials psychic hotline numbers.
(c) Hides her soiled clothing.
(d) Talks to imaginary people.
2. What is an important theme in the book?
(a) The power of memory.
(c) Coming of age.
3. Annie would rather accept her mother's ____________ instead of her death.
4. Who is the author of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
(a) Annie Ernaux.
(b) Alice Ernaux.
(c) Annie Lemeaux.
(d) Annie Proux.
5. In addition to a handbag, Annie's mother buys a dress and ______________.
(a) A pair of shoes.
(b) A hat.
(c) A cardigan.
(d) A coat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annie's story addresses the changing role of _________________.
2. What does Blanche put into her pockets?
3. Annie's mother is moved to a medical facility because she _____________________.
4. What is the premise of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
5. Which of the following elements does Annie not document regarding her mother's illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Annie's mother first begin to show signs of deterioration?
2. What notes does Annie make about the death of her mother on April 7?
3. How does Annie manage her mother's care when she begins to decline?
4. What gesture does Annie's mother make that reminds Annie of her mother's personality?
5. Name some of the motifs related to personal functioning that appear throughout I REMAIN IN DARKNESS.
6. Describe the thoughts that Annie has of the circle of life concept.
7. What is the focus of this chapter?
8. What happens between Annie and her mother which is heartbreaking for Annie?
9. What surprises Annie about the handbag purchase her mother makes?
10. What connection does Annie make between writing and memory?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)