|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What request does Blanche make of Annie that breaks Annie's heart?
(a) To sing her a lullaby.
(b) To tell her a story.
(c) To comb her hair.
(d) To take her away from the hospital.
2. On rare occasions, Blanche is ____________.
3. How does Annie plan to dispose of her mother's belongings?
(a) Burn them.
(b) Put them in storage.
(c) Give them to charity.
(d) Sell them.
4. Why does Blanche have such a hard time eating the cake Annie brings?
(a) She can't hold her fork properly.
(b) She can't stop coughing.
(c) She can't sit up.
(d) She can't find her mouth.
5. What sentence does Annie decide she can never use in a fictional story?
(a) I have big feet.
(b) I had an abortion.
(c) My mother is dead.
(d) I hated my mother.
6. With what does Annie associate days in her life?
(a) Days in her mother's life.
(b) Pictures on the calendar.
(c) Bank statements.
(d) Church bulletins.
7. The nurses tell Annie that her mother is always talking about _______________.
(a) Her house.
(b) Soap opera characters.
(d) Old boyfriends.
8. What does Annie find in her mother's nightstand table drawer?
(a) A picture of Annie.
(b) Nail clippers.
(c) A Bible.
(d) A turd.
9. Where does Annie remember hiding her own feces as a child?
(a) The basement.
(b) The closet.
(c) The linen closet.
(d) Dresser drawer.
10. What does Annie bring each time she visits her mother?
(c) Music CDs.
11. What does Blanche do when Annie visits on Easter Day in April?
(a) Draws a picture.
(b) Pulls up her gown to expose herself.
(c) Plays a piano.
(d) Recites a poem.
12. What does Annie know about her mother?
(a) She is very beautiful.
(b) She needs more surgery.
(c) She is going to die.
(d) She is recovering nicely.
13. Annie thinks that she can't write anything with enough ______________ to describe her mother's ordeal.
14. Annie notes that she talks about her mother _________________.
(b) To anyone who will listen.
(c) In the past tense.
(d) To no one.
15. What is Blanche doing when Annie visits her in February?
(a) Attending a Valentine's Day party.
(b) Watching soap operas.
(c) Sitting in a wheelchair with her arm outstretched.
(d) Playing the piano.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Annie projects into the future, she _____________________.
2. What did Annie feel was her role after her sister died?
3. Annie's grief nearly _______________ her.
4. On the anniversary of the day Annie met the man with whom she had an affair was the day she found her mother _____________________.
5. Which of the following does NOT describe the cake that Annie brings for her mother to eat.
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)