|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Annie recalls that there were many times she experienced _____________ with her mother.
2. Where must Blanche sit during Annie's Sunday visits with her now?
(a) In a wheelchair.
(b) In her bed.
(c) In the TV room.
(d) On a bench.
3. What does Annie recall her mother telling Annie it was their duty to do?
(a) Brush their hair 100 strokes before going to bed.
(b) Give coins to beggars.
(c) Take food to shut-ins.
(d) Volunteer at the hospital.
4. Surgery prevents Annie from seeing her mother for how long?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Two months.
(c) One month.
(d) Three weeks.
5. What does Annie remember about her mother's physical presence?
(a) She was a real diva.
(b) She was always overweight.
(c) She had beautiful hair.
(d) She never pampered herself.
6. In what does Annie find some small comfort related to her mother?
(a) Listening to records she used to like.
(b) Remembering her mother's unique sayings.
(c) Seeing her mother smile at her.
(d) Reading some stories her mother had written.
7. How does Blanche say that she feels with Annie?
8. What is the last sentence Annie's mother ever wrote?
(a) I remain in darkness.
(b) This is a living hell.
(c) Life is so good.
(d) I smell coffee.
9. Which of the following does Blanche NOT exhibit after her hip surgery?
(a) Better mobility.
(b) Twitching hands.
(c) Inability to eat.
(d) Blank eyes.
10. With what does Annie associate days in her life?
(a) Pictures on the calendar.
(b) Church bulletins.
(c) Days in her mother's life.
(d) Bank statements.
11. The nurses tell Annie that her mother is always talking about _______________.
(a) Her house.
(b) Soap opera characters.
(c) Old boyfriends.
12. What does Annie remember that makes her break down and cry?
(a) The smell of her mother's face powder.
(b) How her mother would play the piano.
(c) How pretty her mother was when she got dressed to go out.
(d) How her mother used to hold her when she was upset.
13. Why does Blanche have such a hard time eating the cake Annie brings?
(a) She can't hold her fork properly.
(b) She can't find her mouth.
(c) She can't stop coughing.
(d) She can't sit up.
14. How does Annie plan to dispose of her mother's belongings?
(a) Burn them.
(b) Give them to charity.
(c) Sell them.
(d) Put them in storage.
15. Why did Annie hide feces as a child?
(a) She didn't want to go to the outside toilet.
(b) She was confused.
(c) She was embarrassed.
(d) She wanted to show her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annie recall about her mother's temperament?
2. What did Annie never tell her mother about?
3. What do the nurses hand out to the patients?
4. How do the women in the nursing home behave?
5. Writing about her mother is a good way for Annie to do what?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)