|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens once Annie decides to tell her mother's story?
(a) She is very prolific.
(b) She can't face her mother.
(c) She is unable to write when she returns from her visits.
(d) She cries every day.
2. What is Blanche doing when Annie visits her in February?
(a) Watching soap operas.
(b) Sitting in a wheelchair with her arm outstretched.
(c) Attending a Valentine's Day party.
(d) Playing the piano.
3. The nurses tell Annie that her mother is always talking about _______________.
(a) Old boyfriends.
(c) Her house.
(d) Soap opera characters.
4. Annie notes that she talks about her mother _________________.
(a) In the past tense.
(b) To anyone who will listen.
(d) To no one.
5. Why did Annie hide feces as a child?
(a) She wanted to show her mother.
(b) She was confused.
(c) She didn't want to go to the outside toilet.
(d) She was embarrassed.
6. How does Annie respond to the ways people try to comfort her?
7. What do the nurses dress the patients in at New Year's?
(a) Tuxedos and ballgowns.
(b) New hospital gowns.
(c) Street clothes.
(d) Fancy clothes.
8. Surgery prevents Annie from seeing her mother for how long?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Two months.
(c) One month.
(d) Six weeks.
9. What is Annie's state of mind at her mother's death?
(a) The pain is unbearable.
(b) She is inconsolable.
(c) She is relieved.
(d) She doesn't feel anything.
10. What is the last sentence Annie's mother ever wrote?
(a) This is a living hell.
(b) I smell coffee.
(c) Life is so good.
(d) I remain in darkness.
11. What is the one thing that remains of the mother that Annie once knew?
(a) Her eyes.
(b) Her laugh.
(c) Her voice.
(d) Her smile.
12. How do the women in the nursing home behave?
(a) They are very friendly toward everybody.
(b) They go around in pairs.
(c) They always walk alone.
(d) They shun each other.
13. What does Annie recall her mother saying about her after Annie's sister died?
(a) I'm glad I still have Annie with me.
(b) The other one was prettier.
(c) Annie is so much like her sister.
(d) She's not nearly as nice as the other one.
14. With what does Annie associate days in her life?
(a) Pictures on the calendar.
(b) Church bulletins.
(c) Bank statements.
(d) Days in her mother's life.
15. What does Annie recall about her mother's temperament?
(a) She was extremely shy.
(b) She was very docile.
(c) She had a violent temper.
(d) She was always laughing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annie regret now that her mother is dead?
2. What does Blanche do when Annie bends down to secure the lock on Blanche's wheelchair?
3. What does Annie get in the mail that reminds her of her mother?
4. What does Annie remember that makes her break down and cry?
5. What did Annie feel was her role after her sister died?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)