|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Blanche doing when Annie visits her in February?
(a) Watching soap operas.
(b) Attending a Valentine's Day party.
(c) Playing the piano.
(d) Sitting in a wheelchair with her arm outstretched.
2. Who did Blanche take Annie to visit in the hospital when Annie was a child?
(a) An uncle.
(b) Her father.
(c) A neighbor.
(d) Her grandmother.
3. Annie thinks that she can't write anything with enough ______________ to describe her mother's ordeal.
4. Why does Annie feel guilty regarding her mother?
(a) That she swore at her.
(b) That she never came home for Christmas holidays.
(c) That she couldn't care for her in her own home.
(d) That she talked about her behind her back.
5. What does Annie recall that her mother did for even the smallest misbehavior?
(a) Slapped her.
(b) Spanked her.
(c) Swore at her.
(d) Screamed at her.
6. How does Annie define her own emotional state at this time?
7. On rare occasions, Blanche is ____________.
8. What happens to Blanche in September?
(a) She is allowed home visits.
(b) She gets a new hairstyle.
(c) She breaks her hip.
(d) She has heart surgery.
9. The nurses tell Annie that her mother is always talking about _______________.
(a) Her house.
(b) Old boyfriends.
(d) Soap opera characters.
10. What does Annie regret doing regarding her mother?
(a) Not making her a birthday cake.
(b) Not bringing her new clothes.
(c) Writing a short story about her.
(d) Refusing to visit her.
11. How does Annie characterize her mother's personality when she was well?
12. Which of the following does Annie find she can do while grieving for her mother?
13. On what day does Blanche die?
(a) November 7.
(b) April 6.
(c) December 13.
(d) May 7.
14. What does Annie remember that makes her break down and cry?
(a) How her mother would play the piano.
(b) How pretty her mother was when she got dressed to go out.
(c) How her mother used to hold her when she was upset.
(d) The smell of her mother's face powder.
15. What sentence does Annie decide she can never use in a fictional story?
(a) My mother is dead.
(b) I had an abortion.
(c) I have big feet.
(d) I hated my mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Annie want to do on the first Sunday that she does not go to visit her mother?
2. What does Annie look at two weeks after her mother dies?
3. What does Annie regret now that her mother is dead?
4. What does Annie recall her mother telling Annie it was their duty to do?
5. From what country does Annie return at the beginning of this chapter?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)