|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Blanche has always had a fear of poverty and ____________.
(a) Tall buildings.
2. What is Annie's mother's name?
(a) Betty Duchesne.
(b) Blanche DuBois.
(c) Blanche Duchesne.
(d) Blanche Duquesne.
3. In what circumstance does Blanche ironically ask Annie a question?
(a) When she wrecked the car.
(b) When she has an appointment to file for divorce.
(c) When she fell down stairs.
(d) When she failed her driver's test.
4. What does Annie do as her mother sleeps?
(b) Goes out to lunch.
(c) Touches her gently.
(d) Makes coffee.
5. Where does Annie's mother go to live after she stays at Annie's house for awhile?
(a) A full-time medical facility.
(b) She returns to her own home.
(c) She dies.
(d) An assisted living apartment.
6. Who is the author of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
(a) Alice Ernaux.
(b) Annie Ernaux.
(c) Annie Proux.
(d) Annie Lemeaux.
7. Who is Annie's mother walking with in the department store when she is laughing?
(a) Her grandson.
(b) Her husband.
8. What physical manifestation does Annie experience as a result of her mother's decline?
(b) Stomach pains.
(d) Dizzy spells.
9. Annie feels emotional and _____________ connections with her mother.
10. When does Annie get the idea to publish her notes as a book?
(a) After her mother's death.
(b) When her mother doesn't recognize her anymore.
(c) When she gets mad at her ex-husband.
(d) When her mother goes to the medical facility.
11. Annie notes that Blanche's eyes are _________________.
(b) Red and sunken.
12. Which member of Annie's family had been injured?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her son.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her ex-husband.
13. Annie has to remind herself that the situation with her mother ___________________.
(a) Is reality.
(b) Is a payback.
(c) Is impossible.
(d) Is just temporary.
14. What does Annie's mother do as she walks through the department store?
15. In what price range is the handbag that Annie's mother buys?
(b) The most expensive.
(c) Bargain basement.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annie's story explores the connection between ___________________.
2. What is it about her mother's physical appearance that is most distressing for Annie?
3. Who wrote the sentence, "I remain in darkness?"
4. Annie's book talks about the juxtaposition of _______________.
5. Which of the following does NOT describe Blanche?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)