|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author do with the events she summarizes?
(a) She teaches Alzheimer's support classes.
(b) She documents her pregnancy.
(c) She teaches journaling classes.
(d) She bases her book on them.
2. Which of the following has Blanche not done by the middle of 1984?
(a) Turned apathetic about everything.
(b) Isolated herself from others.
(c) Lost all her possessions.
(d) Balanced her checkbook.
3. What is an important theme in the book?
(a) The power of memory.
(c) Coming of age.
4. Annie finds herself feeling ____________ toward her mother.
5. When does Annie's mother make exaggerated moves?
(a) When she walks onto carpet.
(b) When she gets out of bed.
(c) When she crosses the street.
(d) When she walks up steps.
6. With what does Annie come to terms in this book?
(b) A new job.
(c) Memories of her mother.
7. Annie states that "The body I see ________________."
(a) Is repugnant to me.
(b) Is a memory.
(c) Is also mine.
(d) Is beautiful.
8. When Annie was young, she believed her mother _________________.
(a) Was a shrew.
(b) Knew everything.
(c) Was comedic.
(d) Was a beauty queen.
9. What does Annie describe in this chapter?
(a) The autumn leaves.
(b) Her Christmas decorations.
(c) Her summer vacation.
(d) Physical and mental changes.
10. Annie would rather accept her mother's ____________ instead of her death.
11. The handbag that Annie's mother buys is made of _____________.
12. Where does Annie's mother get lost?
(a) At the mall.
(b) At church.
(c) In the house.
(d) In the neighborhood.
13. When does Annie's mother begin to show signs of deterioration?
(a) Summer of 1983.
(b) Summer of 1972.
(c) Winter of 1982.
(d) Autumn of 1964.
14. How old was Annie when she had an argument with her mother about a bra?
15. What is the premise of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
(a) A hostage tells her story to Annie.
(b) The experience of Annie going blind.
(c) The gradual decline of Annie's mother.
(d) A young girl in the South shares her diary.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is embarrassed by Annie's mother's behavior in the department store?
2. Annie's book talks about the juxtaposition of _______________.
3. What does Annie's mother do as she walks through the department store?
4. On what month does this chapter focus?
5. When Blanche's needs change she is moved to ________________.
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)