|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the premise of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
(a) The experience of Annie going blind.
(b) The gradual decline of Annie's mother.
(c) A young girl in the South shares her diary.
(d) A hostage tells her story to Annie.
2. Annie has to remind herself that the situation with her mother ___________________.
(a) Is impossible.
(b) Is a payback.
(c) Is reality.
(d) Is just temporary.
3. How old was Annie when she had an argument with her mother about a bra?
4. What does Annie make her mother wear?
(a) Girdle and stockings.
5. What is it about her mother's physical appearance that is most distressing for Annie?
(a) Her vacant eyes.
(b) Her wrinkles.
(c) Her stringy hair.
(d) Her pale skin.
6. Annie's story addresses the changing role of _________________.
(a) National government.
(b) Child to parent.
(c) Parent to child.
7. Who wrote the sentence, "I remain in darkness?"
(a) Annie's mother.
(c) Annie's older son.
(d) Annie's sister.
8. What does Blanche put into her pockets?
(b) Kitty litter.
9. When does Annie's mother make exaggerated moves?
(a) When she walks onto carpet.
(b) When she gets out of bed.
(c) When she crosses the street.
(d) When she walks up steps.
10. What color is the handbag that Annie's mother buys?
11. When was Annie's mother injured?
(a) Ten years ago.
(b) Last year.
(c) Two years ago.
(d) A couple days ago.
12. Whose changes does Annie describe?
(a) Her husband's.
(b) Her own.
(c) Her younger son's.
(d) Her mother's.
13. On what year does this chapter focus?
14. Who can Annie's mother no longer remember?
(a) Her husband.
(c) Her daughter-in-law.
(d) Her son-in-law.
15. What does the author do with the events she summarizes?
(a) She teaches journaling classes.
(b) She bases her book on them.
(c) She documents her pregnancy.
(d) She teaches Alzheimer's support classes.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Annie's mother approach her about being ashamed of Annie's behavior?
2. What physical manifestation does Annie experience as a result of her mother's decline?
3. When Annie was young, she believed her mother _________________.
4. What are Annie's intentions for her journal notes?
5. In what price range is the handbag that Annie's mother buys?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)