|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote the sentence, "I remain in darkness?"
(b) Annie's mother.
(c) Annie's sister.
(d) Annie's older son.
2. With what does Annie come to terms in this book?
(a) A new job.
(b) Memories of her mother.
3. What does Annie's mother want to buy?
(a) A springform pan.
(b) A car.
(c) A handbag.
(d) A house.
4. Who can Annie's mother no longer remember?
(a) Her husband.
(c) Her son-in-law.
(d) Her daughter-in-law.
5. Which of the following does Annie not do for her mother while she is in the hospital?
(a) Iron her clothes.
(b) Comb her hair.
(c) Shave her face.
(d) Clip her nails.
6. What is the premise of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
(a) The experience of Annie going blind.
(b) The gradual decline of Annie's mother.
(c) A young girl in the South shares her diary.
(d) A hostage tells her story to Annie.
7. What does Annie do as her mother sleeps?
(a) Goes out to lunch.
(b) Makes coffee.
(c) Touches her gently.
8. Annie's story explores the connection between ___________________.
(a) Father and son.
(b) Brother and sister.
(c) Mother and daughter.
(d) Husband and wife.
9. What is Annie's mother's name?
(a) Blanche Duquesne.
(b) Betty Duchesne.
(c) Blanche DuBois.
(d) Blanche Duchesne.
10. Which of the following does NOT describe Blanche?
(a) She has accidents.
(b) She needs lots of care.
(c) She loves situation comedies.
(d) She wets the bed.
11. Annie's mother can no longer remember _______________.
(a) Her name.
(b) Her age.
(c) Her address.
(d) Her birthday.
12. Which of the following does Annie's mother NOT do?
(a) Talks to imaginary people.
(b) Dials psychic hotline numbers.
(c) Hides her soiled clothing.
(d) Goes to the bathroom in her underwear.
13. Annie notes that Blanche's body __________________.
(a) Is very rough.
(b) Has no strength or firmness.
(c) Is losing weight.
(d) Is getting fat.
14. Who is embarrassed by Annie's mother's behavior in the department store?
(a) A sales clerk.
(c) Annie's father.
(d) Annie's husband.
15. Annie would rather accept her mother's ____________ instead of her death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the Preface?
2. When does Annie's mother approach her about being ashamed of Annie's behavior?
3. Annie has to remind herself that the situation with her mother ___________________.
4. Whose feelings does Annie examine primarily in the book?
5. What does Annie make her mother wear?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)