|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Annie's mother go to live after she stays at Annie's house for awhile?
(a) She returns to her own home.
(b) A full-time medical facility.
(c) She dies.
(d) An assisted living apartment.
2. Annie comes to realize how ____________ memories are.
3. Whose changes does Annie describe?
(a) Her mother's.
(b) Her younger son's.
(c) Her own.
(d) Her husband's.
4. What is the premise of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
(a) The experience of Annie going blind.
(b) A hostage tells her story to Annie.
(c) The gradual decline of Annie's mother.
(d) A young girl in the South shares her diary.
5. Annie's mother is moved to a medical facility because she _____________________.
(a) Doesn't like living alone.
(b) Doesn't like living in somebody else's house.
(c) Becomes very ill and needs special care.
(d) Is scared at the house.
6. When does Annie get the idea to publish her notes as a book?
(a) When she gets mad at her ex-husband.
(b) When her mother goes to the medical facility.
(c) After her mother's death.
(d) When her mother doesn't recognize her anymore.
7. Who does Annie bring into her home to live?
(a) Her stepson.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her mother-in-law.
8. The handbag that Annie's mother buys is made of _____________.
9. With what does Annie come to terms in this book?
(a) A new job.
(b) Memories of her mother.
10. Which of the following has Blanche not done by the middle of 1984?
(a) Lost all her possessions.
(b) Isolated herself from others.
(c) Turned apathetic about everything.
(d) Balanced her checkbook.
11. What does Blanche put into her pockets?
(b) Kitty litter.
12. Annie has become her mother's _______________.
(b) Best friend.
(c) Hair stylist.
13. How does Annie's mother sit?
(a) With her mouth open.
(b) With one leg tucked under her.
(c) With her legs spread.
(d) With her legs crossed.
14. Annie's story addresses the changing role of _________________.
(a) Parent to child.
(b) Child to parent.
(d) National government.
15. What alarms Annie about her mother's daily life?
(a) She pours bleach on her clothes.
(b) She gave away her watch.
(c) She can't be trusted with matches.
(d) She doesn't look for her cologne.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what circumstance does Blanche ironically ask Annie a question?
2. On what is the title of the book based?
3. On what year does this chapter focus?
4. How do Annie's sons react when visitors laugh at Blanche?
5. Her mother's physical state forces Annie to acknowledge _____________________.
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)