|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Annie's mother begin to show signs of deterioration?
(a) Autumn of 1964.
(b) Summer of 1972.
(c) Winter of 1982.
(d) Summer of 1983.
2. What physical manifestation does Annie experience as a result of her mother's decline?
(b) Stomach pains.
(d) Dizzy spells.
3. How does Annie's mother sit?
(a) With her legs crossed.
(b) With her mouth open.
(c) With one leg tucked under her.
(d) With her legs spread.
4. When does Annie's mother make exaggerated moves?
(a) When she gets out of bed.
(b) When she walks up steps.
(c) When she walks onto carpet.
(d) When she crosses the street.
5. How do Annie's sons react when visitors laugh at Blanche?
(a) They reprimand them.
(b) They cry.
(c) They laugh too.
(d) They are offended.
6. How much content did Annie create with each diary entry?
(a) Two or three chapters at a time.
(b) At least a chapter.
(d) Pages of paragraphs at a time.
7. What is the premise of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
(a) A young girl in the South shares her diary.
(b) The gradual decline of Annie's mother.
(c) The experience of Annie going blind.
(d) A hostage tells her story to Annie.
8. What is it about her mother's physical appearance that is most distressing for Annie?
(a) Her pale skin.
(b) Her wrinkles.
(c) Her vacant eyes.
(d) Her stringy hair.
9. When is Annie's patience most tested with her mother?
(a) Keeping her from making long distance calls to strangers.
(b) Keeping her clean after she defecates and wets the bed.
(c) Making her keep her clothes on.
(d) Trying to style her thin hair.
10. With what does Annie come to terms in this book?
(b) Memories of her mother.
(d) A new job.
11. What is a major motif in this chapter?
(b) Role reversal.
12. Annie finds herself feeling ____________ toward her mother.
13. What is the purpose of the Preface?
(a) The author summarizes events.
(b) The author tells her personal history.
(c) The author provides her resume.
(d) The author gives acknowledgements.
14. Throughout the story, Annie has consistent feelings of __________.
15. Which of the following does Annie's mother NOT do?
(a) Goes to the bathroom in her underwear.
(b) Talks to imaginary people.
(c) Dials psychic hotline numbers.
(d) Hides her soiled clothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Annie bring into her home to live?
2. How many bras does Annie's mother put on at one time?
3. Annie's mother is moved to a medical facility because she _____________________.
4. What does Annie do as her mother sleeps?
5. Which of the following does Annie not do for her mother while she is in the hospital?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)