|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the premise of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
(a) The gradual decline of Annie's mother.
(b) The experience of Annie going blind.
(c) A hostage tells her story to Annie.
(d) A young girl in the South shares her diary.
2. What is it about her mother's physical appearance that is most distressing for Annie?
(a) Her wrinkles.
(b) Her pale skin.
(c) Her stringy hair.
(d) Her vacant eyes.
3. What does Annie describe in this chapter?
(a) Her summer vacation.
(b) Physical and mental changes.
(c) The autumn leaves.
(d) Her Christmas decorations.
4. How much content did Annie create with each diary entry?
(b) Two or three chapters at a time.
(c) Pages of paragraphs at a time.
(d) At least a chapter.
5. Where does Annie's mother get lost?
(a) In the house.
(b) At the mall.
(c) In the neighborhood.
(d) At church.
6. What does Annie make her mother wear?
(b) Girdle and stockings.
7. What does Annie do as her mother sleeps?
(b) Makes coffee.
(c) Touches her gently.
(d) Goes out to lunch.
8. Which of the following does NOT describe Blanche?
(a) She has accidents.
(b) She needs lots of care.
(c) She wets the bed.
(d) She loves situation comedies.
9. What alarms Annie about her mother's daily life?
(a) She can't be trusted with matches.
(b) She doesn't look for her cologne.
(c) She gave away her watch.
(d) She pours bleach on her clothes.
10. Annie would rather accept her mother's ____________ instead of her death.
11. Annie finds herself feeling ____________ toward her mother.
12. On what year does this chapter focus?
13. What does Annie note about the hospital where her mother is staying?
(a) It's a lovely facility.
(b) It's hell on earth.
(c) It's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.
(d) It's beyond sadness.
14. Annie's story addresses the changing role of _________________.
(a) Child to parent.
(b) National government.
(c) Parent to child.
15. Which of the following does Annie NOT note about the hospital?
(a) Visits with her mother are always the same.
(b) It is a very clean facility.
(c) The patients act the same way over and over.
(d) The same visitors are always there.
Short Answer Questions
1. Her mother's physical state forces Annie to acknowledge _____________________.
2. Of what is Annie reminded when her mother puts on two bras at one time?
3. Throughout the story, Annie has consistent feelings of __________.
4. How do Annie's sons react when visitors laugh at Blanche?
5. What does Annie's mother want to buy?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)