|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Annie's sons react when visitors laugh at Blanche?
(a) They laugh too.
(b) They reprimand them.
(c) They cry.
(d) They are offended.
2. Annie has to remind herself that the situation with her mother ___________________.
(a) Is just temporary.
(b) Is a payback.
(c) Is reality.
(d) Is impossible.
3. What does Annie's mother lose?
(a) Her memory.
(b) Her gloves.
(c) Her house keys.
(d) Her purse.
4. Annie's mother is moved to a medical facility because she _____________________.
(a) Is scared at the house.
(b) Doesn't like living alone.
(c) Doesn't like living in somebody else's house.
(d) Becomes very ill and needs special care.
5. What physical ailment does Annie experience lately?
(a) Her ear aches.
(b) Her stomach hurts.
(c) She has acid indigestion.
(d) She gets migraines.
6. Which of the following has Blanche not done by the middle of 1984?
(a) Lost all her possessions.
(b) Balanced her checkbook.
(c) Isolated herself from others.
(d) Turned apathetic about everything.
7. In addition to Annie, who else lives in the home when Annie's mother comes to live there?
(a) Annie's sons.
(b) Annie's sister.
(c) Annie's husband.
(d) Annie's mother-in-law.
8. Annie feels emotional and _____________ connections with her mother.
9. One of Blanche's roommates is __________________.
(a) A novelist.
(b) A crier.
(c) A screamer.
(d) A nurse.
10. Annie would rather accept her mother's ____________ instead of her death.
11. How does Annie's mother sit?
(a) With her legs crossed.
(b) With one leg tucked under her.
(c) With her legs spread.
(d) With her mouth open.
12. What is the premise of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
(a) A young girl in the South shares her diary.
(b) The experience of Annie going blind.
(c) A hostage tells her story to Annie.
(d) The gradual decline of Annie's mother.
13. How had Annie's mother been injured?
(a) She was pushed down stairs.
(b) A drunk driver hit her.
(c) She tried to shoot herself.
(d) She cut her hand while chopping vegetables.
14. Annie states that "The body I see ________________."
(a) Is beautiful.
(b) Is repugnant to me.
(c) Is a memory.
(d) Is also mine.
15. When does Annie's mother make exaggerated moves?
(a) When she walks up steps.
(b) When she gets out of bed.
(c) When she walks onto carpet.
(d) When she crosses the street.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annie's story explores the connection between ___________________.
2. What was the last sentence Annie's mother ever wrote?
3. Who is the author of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
4. Annie feels more indifferent than angry at her mother's ________________.
5. Who can Annie's mother no longer remember?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)