|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is embarrassed by Annie's mother's behavior in the department store?
(a) Annie's father.
(b) A sales clerk.
(c) Annie's husband.
2. Whose changes does Annie describe?
(a) Her younger son's.
(b) Her mother's.
(c) Her husband's.
(d) Her own.
3. On what is the title of the book based?
(a) A phrase uttered during a dream.
(b) A scream in a hospital.
(c) A line in a poem.
(d) A sentence written by someone.
4. What was the last sentence Annie's mother ever wrote?
(a) I remain in darkness.
(b) I am so tired.
(c) I love you all.
(d) Life is so good.
5. What is the premise of I REMAIN IN DARKNESS?
(a) A hostage tells her story to Annie.
(b) The experience of Annie going blind.
(c) The gradual decline of Annie's mother.
(d) A young girl in the South shares her diary.
6. When does Annie's mother approach her about being ashamed of Annie's behavior?
(a) When she wrote a bad check.
(b) When she slapped her son.
(c) When she wrecked the car.
(d) When she made love with a man not her husband.
7. The handbag that Annie's mother buys is made of _____________.
8. What alarms Annie about her mother's daily life?
(a) She can't be trusted with matches.
(b) She pours bleach on her clothes.
(c) She gave away her watch.
(d) She doesn't look for her cologne.
9. Annie feels more indifferent than angry at her mother's ________________.
(a) Bodily functions.
(c) Loss of memory.
(d) Eating habits.
10. How much content did Annie create with each diary entry?
(a) Two or three chapters at a time.
(b) At least a chapter.
(d) Pages of paragraphs at a time.
11. What is a major motif in this chapter?
(d) Role reversal.
12. Which of the following elements does Annie not document regarding her mother's illness?
(b) Bodily functions.
13. In what circumstance does Blanche ironically ask Annie a question?
(a) When she fell down stairs.
(b) When she has an appointment to file for divorce.
(c) When she failed her driver's test.
(d) When she wrecked the car.
14. What is it about her mother's physical appearance that is most distressing for Annie?
(a) Her wrinkles.
(b) Her pale skin.
(c) Her stringy hair.
(d) Her vacant eyes.
15. Her mother's physical state forces Annie to acknowledge _____________________.
(a) She probably inherited this.
(b) She needs better doctors.
(c) Her own mortality.
(d) The ultimate death of her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annie's story addresses the changing role of _________________.
2. How old was Annie when she had an argument with her mother about a bra?
3. What was the reason for the argument about a bra between Annie and her mother?
4. Blanche has always had a fear of poverty and ____________.
5. Which member of Annie's family had been injured?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)