* I REMAIN IN DARKNESS is Annie Ernaux's account of her mother's decline and death as the result of aging and mental volatility.
* Annie's mother was injured in a car accident two years prior to the onset of her illness but was never right since that event.
* In the summer of 1983, Annie's mother shows signs of deterioration so Annie brings her to her home to live with her and her two sons.
* Eventually Annie's mother requires more care than Annie can provide and her mother is moved to a full-time medical facility.
* Annie jots notes during the time of her mother's illness which will become the foundation for the book.
* The book's title is based on the last sentence Annie's mother ever wrote, "I remain in darkness."
* Annie also examines her own feelings and how she used writing to come to terms with memories of her mother.
This section contains 1,267 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)