|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pierre do when Rodrig Ivanovich comes in to listen to his lecture?
2. What does Cincinnatus do on the morning of his scheduled execution?
3. What happens to the scratching noises when Cincinnatus makes noise?
4. What does Cincinnatus finally ask for as his last wish?
5. Where will the execution take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pierre realize that he has forgotten in his speech?
2. How does Marthe get permission to come and see Cincinnatus?
3. What happens at the moment of Cincinnatus's execution?
4. Describe what happens to Cincinnatus's cell when the tunnel is completed.
5. What did Cecilia C. ask Marthe for, and what was Marthe's response?
6. What does Emmie's mother describe as Emmie's last prank before going back to school?
7. What does Pierre do, when the party moves outside at the meeting between Cincinnatus, Pierre, and the city officials?
8. How does Cincinnatus respond to Pierre's speech?
9. What reason does Pierre give Cincinnatus for pretending to be a prisoner?
10. How does Pierre act during his chess game with Cincinnatus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Cincinnatus's character and how others perceive him in the novel.
1) What does Cincinnatus's writing reveal about his character?
2) How do other people perceive and treat Cincinnatus in the novel? What character flaws do others point out to him? Is there any truth in these accusations?
3) How does Cincinnatus change over the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the hope of escape in the novel.
1) How does Cincinnatus interpret the drawings that he finds in the library catalog? How does he interpret the scratching sounds he hears in the wall?
2) Does hope of escape play a role in keeping Cincinnatus in prison? What would be necessary, in order for Cincinnatus to escape?
3) Who does Cincinnatus put his hope into? What does he expect from Emmie, Pierre, or other characters who might help him in some way?
Essay Topic 3
The ending of the novel is ambiguous, open to more than one interpretation. Discuss the ending of the novel.
1) If the ending of the novel is objectively real, what is happening? Why is Cincinnatus able to walk away? What does this imply about Cincinnatus's character, the culture he is immersed in, and the prison that he has been in? What does it imply about the other characters?
2) If the ending of the novel is merely Cincinnatus's subjective perception, what is happening? Why is Cincinnatus suddenly freed? What does this imply about Cincinnatus's character, the nature of reality, the culture he is immersed in, and the prison he has been in? What does it imply about his crime?
3) What is your personal interpretation of the ending of the novel?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)