|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodrig want to add to Pierre's speech?
2. Where does Cincinnatus see Marthe, during his trip to the location of his execution?
3. What falls from the sky when Cincinnatus goes to bed to read his novel?
4. Who meets Cincinnatus, when he is finally outside of the prison?
5. What is displayed at the gathering of the city officials, Pierre, and Cincinnatus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pierre realize that he has forgotten in his speech?
2. What inconsistency in Cecilia C.'s clothes does Cincinnatus point out?
3. How does Marthe get permission to come and see Cincinnatus?
4. What is a nonnon?
5. How does Cincinnatus react when Pierre, the director, and the lawyer announce that it is time for his execution?
6. What happens at the moment of Cincinnatus's execution?
7. What does Emmie's mother describe as Emmie's last prank before going back to school?
8. How does Cincinnatus respond to Pierre's speech?
9. What does Pierre do, when the party moves outside at the meeting between Cincinnatus, Pierre, and the city officials?
10. What is on the list of acceptable last requests that Pierre reads?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss communication in the novel.
1) Why does Cincinnatus believe he has communicated with whoever he hears digging a tunnel beyond his wall? How does he feel about having communicated? What does he hope to gain through this communication?
2) How does Cincinnatus use his writing to try to communicate? What is he trying to communicate, and to whom?
3) In what other ways does Cincinnatus try to communicate with those around him? What are the obstacles to communication?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Cincinnatus's character and how others perceive him in the novel.
1) What does Cincinnatus's writing reveal about his character?
2) How do other people perceive and treat Cincinnatus in the novel? What character flaws do others point out to him? Is there any truth in these accusations?
3) How does Cincinnatus change over the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Absurd and surreal events occur throughout the novel. Discuss the unreality of the novel.
1) In what ways could the novel be considered surrealist? In what ways is it not surrealist?
2) Do the events of the novel reflect Cincinnatus's mind, or do they reflect an objective reality? Is Cincinnatus subconsciously in control of the events?
3) Why does the author use incongruous and dreamlike events in the novel?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)