|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the director request Cincinnatus to do?
(a) Write a formal note of thanks to the director.
(b) Write down his requests for his last meal.
(c) Write a formal welcome for the executioner.
(d) Write a last will and testament.
2. Who enters the cell after Cincinnatus undresses at the end of his second day in prison, snapping Cincinnatus's world back to normal?
(b) The spider.
(d) The prison director.
3. How does Marthe leave her first visit with Cincinnatus?
(a) She is carried out on a couch.
(b) She waves goodbye and seems to vanish.
(c) She walks out laughing.
(d) She runs out crying.
4. Where does Cincinnatus write that he will evolve a third eye?
(a) On the back of his neck.
(b) On his forehead.
(c) On his hand.
(d) On the back of his skull.
5. What does Pierre criticize Cincinnatus' attitude as?
(a) Not serious enough.
(c) Selfish and contemptuous.
(d) Constantly angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What method of death does Cincinnatus write that he would prefer to beheading by axe?
2. What is Marthe wearing when she meets with Cincinnatus?
3. How does Cincinnatus describe his wife?
4. How does Pierre characterize Cincinnatus's desire to know the date of his execution?
5. What does Cincinnatus do at night in his youth when he has his first job?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the story that Cincinnatus tells from his childhood, how does he get to the garden?
2. Describe Pierre's circus performance.
3. What does Cincinnatus describe happening to the world in his dreams?
4. What happens after Cincinnatus goes to bed, the night after the prisoner arrives?
5. What ring does Cincinnatus describe wearing in his memory from his childhood?
6. What does Emmie do with the books in Cincinnatus' cell?
7. What does Emmie do with the water jug in Cincinnatus' cell?
8. After the director reads his formal speech to Cincinnatus, where does Cincinnatus go?
9. What happens when there start to be complaints about Cincinnatus?
10. How does Cincinnatus describe his difference from other people?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)