|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the eighth day, how much of Cincinnatus' pencil is used up?
(a) More than a third.
(b) Almost two-thirds.
(c) About half.
(d) Exactly one quarter.
2. What is Rodrig Ivanovich holding after Cincinnatus reads the letter?
(a) A wall calendar.
(b) A large apple.
(c) A carving knife.
(d) A desk lamp.
3. What does Pierre tell Cincinnatus that they will do together?
(a) Take over the guard towers.
(b) Find a path to spiritual well-being.
(c) Walk out of the prison to freedom.
(d) Walk up the execution scaffold.
4. Where is the new prisoner sitting when Cincinnatus first sees him?
(a) On a chair in the corner.
(b) On the bed.
(c) On the floor.
(d) At the table.
5. What does Cincinnatus do at night in his youth when he has his first job?
(a) He listens to music.
(b) He writes.
(c) He plays chess.
(d) He reads.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Emmie slip past when he opens the door to Cincinnatus's cell?
2. What is dirtying the lawyer's back?
3. Which way does Rodion sharpen a pencil?
4. Who tells Cincinnatus that the new prisoner has arrived?
5. What color are the festive walls of Cincinnatus' cell, as the sun shines in through the freshly washed window?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cincinnatus do, when the director briefly leaves the meeting between Cincinnatus and Pierre?
2. What memory of his wife does Cincinnatus recall in his writing?
3. Describe Cincinnatus's early days with his wife.
4. What does Emmie do with the water jug in Cincinnatus' cell?
5. What does Emmie do with the books in Cincinnatus' cell?
6. How do the lawyer, the prison director, and Rodion characterize Cincinnatus' behavior?
7. What does Cincinnatus realize as he heads back to his cell with Rodion?
8. What does Pierre say about himself?
9. Besides how long Cincinnatus has until his execution, what else does Cincinnatus want to know from his captors? What is their response?
10. Describe Pierre's circus performance.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)