|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Cincinnatus see Marthe, during his trip to the location of his execution?
(a) In an apple tree.
(b) Peeking out of a window.
(c) On a park bench, kissing a man.
(d) Hiding behind a wheelbarrow.
2. What happens to the tunnel entrance in Cincinntus' cell?
(a) It is covered with a sign that says "Do Not Enter."
(b) It is loosely boarded over.
(c) It disappears without explanation.
(d) It is plastered over.
3. What does Cincinnatus do when Marthe offers to have sex with him?
(a) He says that he wants to but he's too afraid.
(b) He doesn't answer.
(c) He says yes, if Marthe agrees to be quiet.
(d) He refuses.
4. What does Pierre lecture Cincinnatus on, in the evening after Emmie tells Cincinnatus she is planning his escape?
(a) Love, starting with brotherly love.
(b) Pleasure, starting with erotic pleasure.
(c) The conflict between man's spiritual and earthly natures.
(d) The nature of virtue and obedience.
5. What does Cincinnatus complain about that causes Pierre to call him rude?
(a) The smell of Pierre's feet.
(b) The color of Pierre's clothes.
(c) The slurping sound Pierre makes.
(d) Pierre's habit of talking quickly.
6. When does Emmie tell Cincinnatus that her rescue attempt will take place?
(a) The next day.
(b) On the day of his execution.
(c) In a week.
(d) In a month.
7. What time of day do the scratching noises start up again, for the last time?
(a) In the late afternoon.
(b) Exactly at noon.
(c) In the early morning.
(d) In the dead of night.
8. How do the city officials say to Pierre at the end of the supper?
(a) They give him a raise.
(b) They hope they'll have more executions for him.
(c) They warn him to be careful.
(d) They congratulate him.
9. Where is the light on Cincinnatus' ceiling placed?
(a) At the edge of the room, right over the window.
(b) At the edge of the room, right over the door.
(c) Not quite in the center of the ceiling.
(d) Exactly in the center of the ceiling.
10. What do the guards bring Cincinnatus instead of hot chocolate to drink?
11. What explanation does Marthe give Cincinnatus for why his execution has been delayed?
(a) There is a possibility of a new trial.
(b) Everyone is too tired.
(c) The weather is wrong.
(d) There is a problem with the execution platform.
12. What does Cecilia C. tell Cincinnatus about his father?
(a) That he could be anyone.
(b) That he has moved out of the country.
(c) That she never saw his face.
(d) That he is dead.
13. Who does Cincinnatus ask to deliver his letter to Marthe?
(c) The director.
14. What does Pierre anoint himself and Cincinnatus with?
15. What does Pierre tell Cincinnatus to do in the moments before the execution?
(d) Close his eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What initials are supposed to be spelled out in lights in the park?
2. How does Cincinnatus get to the location of the execution?
3. What is the last word that Cincinnatus has to find an additional piece of paper to write?
4. What falls from the sky when Cincinnatus goes to bed to read his novel?
5. What does Rodion bring for the spider?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)