|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cincinnatus do outside the new prisoner's cell?
(a) He whistles and knocks.
(b) He listens at the cell door.
(c) He looks through the peephole.
(d) He writes a secret chalk mark on the wall.
2. What time does Rodrig Ivanovich appear?
(a) Twenty minutes after his scheduled arrival at eleven.
(b) Exactly at ten o'clock.
(c) Fifteen minues early, at quarter to nine.
(d) Exactly at noon.
3. What metaphor does Cincinnatus use for trying to find the essence of what he wants to say?
(a) Digging down into the ground to try to uncover roots.
(b) Searching through a forest for a vanishing figure.
(c) Groping in the sand beneath the water for something shiny.
(d) Trying to capture the ash as it flies up in the flame.
4. Who turns the cell light out?
(a) The director.
(d) The spider.
5. What does Pierre criticize Cincinnatus' attitude as?
(b) Constantly angry.
(c) Not serious enough.
(d) Selfish and contemptuous.
6. Where does Rodion tell Cincinnatus to go while his cell is cleaned?
(a) Down to the guards' quarters.
(b) Out in the hall.
(c) Up to the roof.
(d) To another cell.
7. What does Cincinnatus look at in the library catalog?
(a) A map of the town.
(b) A note from the librarian.
(c) A photograph of himself.
(d) A child's drawings.
8. What reason does Rodrig give Cincinnatus to discourage him from complaining?
(a) He says that complainers tend to get worse punishment.
(b) He says the Congress will not meet until June.
(c) He says a letter of complaint will not be delivered unless the prison director allows it.
(d) He says that it would be impolite of him to complain.
9. Where does the lawyer take Cincinnatus during their meeting?
(a) The prison basement.
(b) The prison roof.
(c) Cincinnatus's home.
(d) The lawyer's home.
10. What does the director say is wrong with Roman Vissarionovich?
(a) He fell down the stairs.
(b) He has pneumonia.
(c) He has laryngitis.
(d) He has a bad cold.
11. What is Marthe holding when she meets with Cincinnaus?
(a) A flower.
(b) A mirror.
(c) A rosary.
(d) A candle.
12. What does Pierre say was the main evidence against him?
(a) A notepad with notes from a phone call on it.
(b) A drawing with his marks on it.
(c) A glove he left behind.
(d) A pair of broken glasses.
13. What is Cincinnatus's first job?
(a) Making socks.
(b) Binding books.
(c) Building toys.
(d) Repairing clocks.
14. Who does Emmie tease during Marthe's visit?
(a) The grandfather.
15. Who does Emmie slip past when he opens the door to Cincinnatus's cell?
(b) Cincinnatus's lawyer.
(c) The prison director.
(d) The prison guard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What crime does Pierre say he was accused of?
2. Besides blades, what does Rodion's penknife have?
3. How does the director think Cincinnatus should feel about the new prisoner?
4. What irrelevant detail does the letter mention?
5. Where does Cincinnatus write that he will evolve a third eye?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)