|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does the letter say Cincinnatus will have to wait for the interview?
(a) One day.
(b) One week.
(c) One month.
(d) Four days.
2. What present has one of Marthe's brothers brought Cincinnatus?
(a) A harmonica.
(b) A photograph of himself.
(c) A bowl of wax fruit.
(d) A statue of Marthe.
3. What does Pierre criticize Cincinnatus' attitude as?
(a) Constantly angry.
(c) Not serious enough.
(d) Selfish and contemptuous.
4. Where on the table does Rodion set the vase of flowers?
(a) Not quite in the center.
(b) Not quite at the edge.
(c) Right on the edge.
(d) Exactly in the center.
5. Besides blades, what does Rodion's penknife have?
(a) A corkscrew.
(b) A nail file.
(c) A spoon.
(d) A screw driver.
6. How many children does Marthe have?
7. Who does Rodrig Ivanovich seem to transform into?
(d) The spider.
8. What does the lawyer offer to Cincinnatus?
(a) Copies of the trial transcript.
(b) An autographed photo of himself.
(c) A private meeting with the judge.
(d) Free services to make his will and a trust for his wife.
9. What does Pierre tell Cincinnatus that they will do together?
(a) Walk up the execution scaffold.
(b) Walk out of the prison to freedom.
(c) Find a path to spiritual well-being.
(d) Take over the guard towers.
10. What is Cincinnatus allowed to wear at gala performances because of his profession?
(a) Heeled black velvet shoes.
(b) White silk stockings.
(c) A red fringed robe.
(d) A feathered hat.
11. How old is Cincinnatus when he gets his first job?
12. What does Cincinnatus think is happening when he wakes up the third day?
(a) Cincinnatus thinks he must be dreaming.
(b) Cincinnatus thinks Marthe must be coming to visit.
(c) Cincinnatus thinks it must be time for the execution.
(d) Cincinnatus thinks he must be about to be freed.
13. What color is the letter Cincinnatus receives when he wakes?
14. Where is Cincinnatus during his meeting with Pierre the day after Marthe's first visit?
(a) On his chair.
(b) On his cot.
(c) On his table.
(d) On his floor.
15. What time does Rodrig Ivanovich appear?
(a) Twenty minutes after his scheduled arrival at eleven.
(b) Fifteen minues early, at quarter to nine.
(c) Exactly at noon.
(d) Exactly at ten o'clock.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Cincinnatus write that he is too dangerous as his own accomplice?
2. What furniture is in Cincinnatus' cell?
3. Who enters the cell after Cincinnatus undresses at the end of his second day in prison, snapping Cincinnatus's world back to normal?
4. What animal arrives with Marthe and her family?
5. How does the director think Cincinnatus should feel about the new prisoner?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)