|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Cincinnatus think the execution will be at the end of his second day in prison?
(a) He thinks it will probably be the next day.
(b) He thinks it will probably be on Saturday, when everyone is off work.
(c) He thinks it will probably be at least a month.
(d) He thinks it will probably be at least a week.
2. What do Rodion and Cincinnatus do when Rodion comes back to Cincinnatus's cell after first dropping him off?
(a) They fly.
(b) They dance.
(c) They sing.
(d) They jump.
3. What does the librarian refuse to do?
(a) Bring Cincinnatus's books.
(b) Particpate in Pierre's card trick.
(c) Discuss the conditions of Cincinnatus's cell.
(d) Discuss the organization of the library.
4. How many children does Marthe have?
5. Who does Cincinnatus ask to turn off the lights before he goes to bed?
(a) The prison director.
(b) An empty room.
(c) The guard.
(d) The spider.
6. What reason does Cincinnatus give Emmie that proves to him that everyone is talking about the date of his execution?
(a) A square was cut out of his morning paper.
(b) Everyone looks at him as if they know a secret.
(c) The guard turns off the radio whenever he approaches.
(d) He hears people whispering outside his cell.
7. What does the new prisoner look like?
(a) He is average in every way.
(b) He is large and muscular.
(c) He is tall and thin.
(d) He is small and fat.
8. What is Marthe holding when she meets with Cincinnaus?
(a) A mirror.
(b) A flower.
(c) A candle.
(d) A rosary.
9. Where does Pierre say he is from?
(a) Upper Elderbury.
(b) Upper Didderdown.
(c) Upper Hampshire.
(d) Upper Kinderton.
10. Who does Emmie slip past when he opens the door to Cincinnatus's cell?
(a) The prison director.
(b) The prison guard.
(c) Cincinnatus's lawyer.
11. What is Marthe wearing when she meets with Cincinnatus?
(a) A good black dress and a velvet ribbon choker.
(b) A short red dress and high heeled shoes.
(c) A flowing white dress with silver trim.
(d) A bright blue tafetta dress with golden bracelets.
12. How does Cincinnatus describe his wife?
(a) Forgiving, empty-headed, and easily manipulated.
(b) Beautiful, humble, and weak.
(c) Nagging, stubborn, and unfaithful.
(d) Friendly, happy, and giving.
13. Which way does Rodion sharpen a pencil?
(a) Alternately away from himself and toward himself with a knife.
(b) Toward himself with a knife.
(c) Away from himself with a knife.
(d) With his teeth.
14. What does the director request Cincinnatus to do?
(a) Write a last will and testament.
(b) Write down his requests for his last meal.
(c) Write a formal welcome for the executioner.
(d) Write a formal note of thanks to the director.
15. Who does Emmie tease during Marthe's visit?
(b) The grandfather.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scent does Rodrig spray around the cell?
2. What does Rodrig Ivanovich say after Cincinnatus reads the letter?
3. Besides blades, what does Rodion's penknife have?
4. What method of death does Cincinnatus write that he would prefer to beheading by axe?
5. What present has one of Marthe's brothers brought Cincinnatus?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)