|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cincinnatus have to eat when Emmie comes into his cell?
(a) Eggs and bacon.
(b) Hot chocolate and toast.
(c) Sweet rolls and orange juice.
(d) Coffee and cereal.
2. What does Cincinnatus think would be necessary for Emmie to rescue him?
(a) For her to feel sorry for him.
(b) For her to listen to him tell his story.
(c) For her to mature yet remain a child.
(d) For her to love him.
3. What do Rodion and Cincinnatus do when Rodion comes back to Cincinnatus's cell after first dropping him off?
(a) They sing.
(b) They fly.
(c) They jump.
(d) They dance.
4. Besides blades, what does Rodion's penknife have?
(a) A corkscrew.
(b) A screw driver.
(c) A spoon.
(d) A nail file.
5. What scent does Rodrig spray around the cell?
6. What does Diomedon's right leg resemble?
(a) A bottle.
(b) A fishing pole.
(c) A rifle.
(d) A tree.
7. Who turns the cell light out?
(b) The director.
(c) The spider.
8. Where does Cincinnatus write that he will evolve a third eye?
(a) On the back of his skull.
(b) On his hand.
(c) On his forehead.
(d) On the back of his neck.
9. What is dirtying the lawyer's back?
10. What does Rodion do while Cincinnatus looks out over the landscape?
(a) He sweeps.
(b) He washes windows.
(c) He washes dishes.
(d) He paints.
11. Who enters the cell after Cincinnatus undresses at the end of his second day in prison, snapping Cincinnatus's world back to normal?
(b) The prison director.
(c) The spider.
12. What does Cincinnatus think is happening when he wakes up the third day?
(a) Cincinnatus thinks it must be time for the execution.
(b) Cincinnatus thinks he must be about to be freed.
(c) Cincinnatus thinks Marthe must be coming to visit.
(d) Cincinnatus thinks he must be dreaming.
13. What is Rodrig Ivanovich holding after Cincinnatus reads the letter?
(a) A large apple.
(b) A desk lamp.
(c) A wall calendar.
(d) A carving knife.
14. How does the director think Cincinnatus should feel about the new prisoner?
(a) Sad at sharing the prison.
(b) Afraid to meet him, for fear of not being good enough.
(c) Excited and anxious to meet him.
(d) Jealous and suspicious.
15. What does the new prisoner look like?
(a) He is average in every way.
(b) He is small and fat.
(c) He is large and muscular.
(d) He is tall and thin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What irrelevant detail does the letter mention?
2. What does Cincinnatus credit his lawyer with?
3. How does the judge deliver Cincinnatus' sentence?
4. What metaphor does Cincinnatus use for trying to find the essence of what he wants to say?
5. What does Cincinnatus do at night in his youth when he has his first job?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)