|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Cincinnatus that the new prisoner has arrived?
(a) His lawyer.
(b) The prison director.
2. What does Rodrig Ivanovich say after Cincinnatus reads the letter?
(a) He says exactly what the letter says, word for word.
(b) He says the opposite of what the letter has told Cincinnatus.
(c) He repeats the letter backwards.
(d) He says not to trust the written word.
3. What job does Cincinnatus take on in his twenties?
(a) Factory manager.
(b) Kindergarten teacher.
(c) Window washer.
(d) Cake baker.
4. What is Cincinnatus's lawyer looking for when he visits Cincinnatus?
(a) The lawyer is looking for his pen.
(b) The lawyer is looking for his cufflink.
(c) The lawyer is looking for his reading glasses.
(d) The lawyer is looking for his library card.
5. What does the director say to Cincinnatus after the meeting with Pierre?
(a) That he is proud of Cincinnatus.
(b) That he is ashamed of Cincinnatus.
(c) That he envies Cincinnatus.
(d) That he is happy for Cincinnatus.
6. What method of death does Cincinnatus write that he would prefer to beheading by axe?
(a) Shooting by a firing squad.
(b) Hanging by rope.
(c) Electric chair.
7. What does Cincinnatus think would be necessary for Emmie to rescue him?
(a) For her to feel sorry for him.
(b) For her to mature yet remain a child.
(c) For her to listen to him tell his story.
(d) For her to love him.
8. What time does the cell light go out?
(a) At eleven o'clock.
(b) At midnight.
(c) At nine o'clock.
(d) At ten o'clock.
9. What is M'sieur Pierre's attitude when he is led into Cincinnatus' cell?
(a) Flustered and confused.
(b) Angry and irritable.
(c) Calm and composed.
(d) Raucous and loud.
10. What is the director doing when Rodion brings Cincinnatus back to his cell from the new prisoner's cell?
(a) Whistling and dancing around the hallway.
(b) Painting the new prisoner's door with red paint.
(c) Bringing the new prisoner a five-course meal.
(d) Looking through the peephole in the new prisoner's door.
11. What scent does Rodrig spray around the cell?
12. What color are the festive walls of Cincinnatus' cell, as the sun shines in through the freshly washed window?
13. Where is Cincinnatus during his meeting with Pierre the day after Marthe's first visit?
(a) On his floor.
(b) On his cot.
(c) On his chair.
(d) On his table.
14. What does Cincinnatus see in the morning papers?
(a) Photos of his house and family.
(b) Photos of the prison.
(c) Photos of the judge and his lawyer.
(d) Photos of the executioner waving to a crowd.
15. How does Cincinnatus describe his wife?
(a) Nagging, stubborn, and unfaithful.
(b) Forgiving, empty-headed, and easily manipulated.
(c) Friendly, happy, and giving.
(d) Beautiful, humble, and weak.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cincinnatus start doing in his cell after Emmie's visit?
2. What metaphor does Cincinnatus use for trying to find the essence of what he wants to say?
3. What does Pierre say when Cincinnatus asks if he is telling the truth?
4. What about Pierre does Cincinnatus say might prevent him from making an effective escape?
5. Who finds what the lawyer was looking for at the beginning of his meeting with Cincinnatus?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)