|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unnatural event from Cincinnatus' childhood does he describe?
(a) A woman singing and gradually becoming a chorus and then an orchestra.
(b) A spider growing larger and larger, and then turning into a bus.
(c) A man getting up to help him, and his shadow not following right away.
(d) A bird flying up into the sky and becoming a cloud.
2. Where is Cincinnatus during his meeting with Pierre the day after Marthe's first visit?
(a) On his floor.
(b) On his cot.
(c) On his table.
(d) On his chair.
3. What method of death does Cincinnatus write that he would prefer to beheading by axe?
(b) Shooting by a firing squad.
(c) Electric chair.
(d) Hanging by rope.
4. What do Rodion and Cincinnatus do when Rodion comes back to Cincinnatus's cell after first dropping him off?
(a) They dance.
(b) They jump.
(c) They sing.
(d) They fly.
5. How many children does Marthe have?
6. What is Cincinnatus's first job?
(a) Repairing clocks.
(b) Binding books.
(c) Building toys.
(d) Making socks.
7. What is the director doing when Rodion brings Cincinnatus back to his cell from the new prisoner's cell?
(a) Bringing the new prisoner a five-course meal.
(b) Painting the new prisoner's door with red paint.
(c) Whistling and dancing around the hallway.
(d) Looking through the peephole in the new prisoner's door.
8. What special item has Cincinnatus asked for?
(a) A tub to bathe in.
(b) A new suit of clothes.
(c) A mirror and shaving kit.
(d) A pocketwatch.
9. What words does Cincinnatus see written on the wall of the hallway?
(a) Give up already.
(b) No one was here.
(c) Testing brush.
(d) Look up.
10. Where does Rodion tell Cincinnatus to go while his cell is cleaned?
(a) To another cell.
(b) Down to the guards' quarters.
(c) Out in the hall.
(d) Up to the roof.
11. What metaphor does Cincinnatus use for trying to find the essence of what he wants to say?
(a) Searching through a forest for a vanishing figure.
(b) Groping in the sand beneath the water for something shiny.
(c) Trying to capture the ash as it flies up in the flame.
(d) Digging down into the ground to try to uncover roots.
12. What is Marthe wearing when she meets with Cincinnatus?
(a) A good black dress and a velvet ribbon choker.
(b) A short red dress and high heeled shoes.
(c) A flowing white dress with silver trim.
(d) A bright blue tafetta dress with golden bracelets.
13. Who does Rodrig Ivanovich seem to transform into?
(d) The spider.
14. What color are the festive walls of Cincinnatus' cell, as the sun shines in through the freshly washed window?
15. What time does the cell light go out?
(a) At eleven o'clock.
(b) At midnight.
(c) At nine o'clock.
(d) At ten o'clock.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Cincinnatus write that he will evolve a third eye?
2. What is M'sieur Pierre's attitude when he is led into Cincinnatus' cell?
3. What scent does Rodrig spray around the cell?
4. How old is Emmie?
5. In the prison rule number two, what does it say is the prison's pride?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)