|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cincinnatus start doing in his cell after Emmie's visit?
2. How does Cincinnatus feel about his wife?
(a) He doesn't care about her.
(b) He likes her.
(c) He loves her.
(d) He hates her.
3. What does Cincinnatus think is happening when he wakes up the third day?
(a) Cincinnatus thinks he must be dreaming.
(b) Cincinnatus thinks Marthe must be coming to visit.
(c) Cincinnatus thinks it must be time for the execution.
(d) Cincinnatus thinks he must be about to be freed.
4. What reason does Cincinnatus give Emmie that proves to him that everyone is talking about the date of his execution?
(a) A square was cut out of his morning paper.
(b) He hears people whispering outside his cell.
(c) The guard turns off the radio whenever he approaches.
(d) Everyone looks at him as if they know a secret.
5. When does Cincinnatus think the execution will be at the end of his second day in prison?
(a) He thinks it will probably be the next day.
(b) He thinks it will probably be on Saturday, when everyone is off work.
(c) He thinks it will probably be at least a month.
(d) He thinks it will probably be at least a week.
6. How does Pierre characterize Cincinnatus's desire to know the date of his execution?
(a) As light and friendly banter.
(b) As a clever ruse.
(c) As foolish curiosity.
(d) As mindless parroting.
7. What is wrapped around Pauline's neck?
(a) A chain.
(b) A napkin.
(c) A scarf.
(d) A rope.
8. How old is Cincinnatus when he gets his first job?
9. Who does Rodrig Ivanovich seem to transform into?
(a) The spider.
10. What does the director say to Cincinnatus after the meeting with Pierre?
(a) That he envies Cincinnatus.
(b) That he is proud of Cincinnatus.
(c) That he is ashamed of Cincinnatus.
(d) That he is happy for Cincinnatus.
11. What does Cincinnatus have to eat when Emmie comes into his cell?
(a) Hot chocolate and toast.
(b) Coffee and cereal.
(c) Sweet rolls and orange juice.
(d) Eggs and bacon.
12. What is the weather like the day that Cincinnatus receives the letter?
13. What special item has Cincinnatus asked for?
(a) A pocketwatch.
(b) A tub to bathe in.
(c) A mirror and shaving kit.
(d) A new suit of clothes.
14. What is reflected in the mirror of the wardrobe that Marthe brings with her?
(a) A shadowy figure that Cincinnatus cannot make out.
(b) The back of Marthe's head.
(c) Cincinnatus and Marthe's hallway and the front door beyond.
(d) A corner of her and Cincinnatus' bedroom.
15. What does the director say is wrong with Roman Vissarionovich?
(a) He fell down the stairs.
(b) He has a bad cold.
(c) He has laryngitis.
(d) He has pneumonia.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Cincinnatus gets the news about the new prisoner, what does his cot seem to change into?
2. What does Cincinnatus credit his lawyer with?
3. What awakens Cincinnatus the third day?
4. What does Cincinnatus do when he undresses at the end of his second day in prison?
5. What is Rodrig Ivanovich holding after Cincinnatus reads the letter?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)