|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Rodrig give Cincinnatus to discourage him from complaining?
(a) He says the Congress will not meet until June.
(b) He says that complainers tend to get worse punishment.
(c) He says a letter of complaint will not be delivered unless the prison director allows it.
(d) He says that it would be impolite of him to complain.
2. What does Cincinnatus think is happening when he wakes up the third day?
(a) Cincinnatus thinks Marthe must be coming to visit.
(b) Cincinnatus thinks he must be about to be freed.
(c) Cincinnatus thinks he must be dreaming.
(d) Cincinnatus thinks it must be time for the execution.
3. What does Emmie do when Rodion comes to chase her out of the cell?
(a) She laughs and runs away.
(b) She runs to him and hugs him.
(c) She sits down and refuses to budge.
(d) She asks him to pick her up and carry her.
4. Where did Cincinnatus grow up?
(a) In a foster home.
(b) Homeless on the streets.
(c) In a convent.
(d) In an orphanage.
5. What does Cincinnatus start doing in his cell after Emmie's visit?
6. What is Rodrig Ivanovich holding after Cincinnatus reads the letter?
(a) A wall calendar.
(b) A carving knife.
(c) A desk lamp.
(d) A large apple.
7. What part of Cincinnatus' body does Pierre examine?
(a) His neck.
(b) His arm.
(c) His back.
(d) His foot.
8. What method of death does Cincinnatus write that he would prefer to beheading by axe?
(b) Shooting by a firing squad.
(c) Hanging by rope.
(d) Electric chair.
9. What animal arrives with Marthe and her family?
(a) An albino rat.
(b) A black cat.
(c) An iguana.
(d) A bulldog.
10. What reason does Cincinnatus give Emmie that proves to him that everyone is talking about the date of his execution?
(a) Everyone looks at him as if they know a secret.
(b) A square was cut out of his morning paper.
(c) The guard turns off the radio whenever he approaches.
(d) He hears people whispering outside his cell.
11. How does Marthe leave her first visit with Cincinnatus?
(a) She waves goodbye and seems to vanish.
(b) She walks out laughing.
(c) She is carried out on a couch.
(d) She runs out crying.
12. How does the judge deliver Cincinnatus' sentence?
(a) He whispers it in Cincinnatus' ear.
(b) He writes it on a piece of paper and gives it to Cincinnatus' attorney.
(c) He shouts it out to the courtroom.
(d) He puts up a sign over the window.
13. What does Rodrig Ivanovich say after Cincinnatus reads the letter?
(a) He says not to trust the written word.
(b) He says the opposite of what the letter has told Cincinnatus.
(c) He repeats the letter backwards.
(d) He says exactly what the letter says, word for word.
14. What scent does Rodrig spray around the cell?
15. Where does Pierre say he is from?
(a) Upper Hampshire.
(b) Upper Didderdown.
(c) Upper Elderbury.
(d) Upper Kinderton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cincinnatus allowed to wear at gala performances because of his profession?
2. What does Cincinnatus tell the lawyer is not real?
3. What is wrapped around Pauline's neck?
4. How does Cincinnatus feel about his wife?
5. What happens when M'sieur Pierre sits down?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)