|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marthe leave her first visit with Cincinnatus?
(a) She is carried out on a couch.
(b) She walks out laughing.
(c) She waves goodbye and seems to vanish.
(d) She runs out crying.
2. How long does the letter say Cincinnatus will have to wait for the interview?
(a) One day.
(b) One month.
(c) One week.
(d) Four days.
3. Where does Pierre say he is from?
(a) Upper Hampshire.
(b) Upper Elderbury.
(c) Upper Kinderton.
(d) Upper Didderdown.
4. Which way does Rodion sharpen a pencil?
(a) With his teeth.
(b) Toward himself with a knife.
(c) Away from himself with a knife.
(d) Alternately away from himself and toward himself with a knife.
5. After Emmie leaves his cell, what does Cincinnatus start philosophizing about in his pile of books?
(a) A collection of newspaper clippings.
(b) An old magazine.
(c) A large hardcover volume missing the rest of the set.
(d) A small pamphlet.
6. What does the director say is wrong with Roman Vissarionovich?
(a) He has pneumonia.
(b) He has a bad cold.
(c) He fell down the stairs.
(d) He has laryngitis.
7. What irrelevant detail does the letter mention?
(a) Paint for the sentry boxes.
(b) Presents for the guards.
(c) New bricks for the prison driveway.
(d) Replacement parts for the prison clock.
8. Why does Cincinnatus start to go for a walk?
(a) Rodion suggests it.
(b) He sees a light down the hallway.
(c) Emmie beckons to him.
(d) He wants to sneak away.
9. What does the prison director scold the prisoner for doing?
(a) Going out of his cell.
(b) Letting his dinner get cold.
(c) Complaining about the conditions at the prison.
(d) Looking out of the window.
10. When does Pierre say that prison escapes happen?
(a) Only at night.
(b) Only in fairy tales.
(c) When you are unjustly accused.
(d) When the guards are lax.
11. What does Pierre say when Cincinnatus asks if he is telling the truth?
(a) That he never lies.
(b) That he often lies, but not about this.
(c) That he can neither confirm nor deny it.
(d) That he's insulted by the question.
12. What does Cincinnatus think would be necessary for Emmie to rescue him?
(a) For her to mature yet remain a child.
(b) For her to listen to him tell his story.
(c) For her to love him.
(d) For her to feel sorry for him.
13. What does Cincinnatus start doing in his cell after Emmie's visit?
14. What present has one of Marthe's brothers brought Cincinnatus?
(a) A photograph of himself.
(b) A harmonica.
(c) A statue of Marthe.
(d) A bowl of wax fruit.
15. What is Cincinnatus's first job?
(a) Making socks.
(b) Building toys.
(c) Repairing clocks.
(d) Binding books.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Cincinnatus grow up?
2. What reason does Cincinnatus write that he is too dangerous as his own accomplice?
3. What is Marthe holding when she meets with Cincinnaus?
4. What does Cincinnatus describe as discovering, as he takes off layer after layer of his clothes/himself?
5. What time does the cell light go out?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)