|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the lawyer take Cincinnatus during their meeting?
(a) The prison basement.
(b) The lawyer's home.
(c) The prison roof.
(d) Cincinnatus's home.
2. Who does Emmie slip past when he opens the door to Cincinnatus's cell?
(a) The prison director.
(b) The prison guard.
(d) Cincinnatus's lawyer.
3. What words does Cincinnatus see written on the wall of the hallway?
(a) Give up already.
(b) No one was here.
(c) Testing brush.
(d) Look up.
4. What does Cincinnatus write is more real than the everyday world?
5. What is the one difference between Marthe's two identical twin brothers?
(a) One wears all red clothes and the other all black.
(b) One is missing a hand, and he keeps his false hand in is pocket.
(c) One has a black mustache and the other a blonde one.
(d) One is an inch taller than the other.
6. When Cincinnatus asks the prison director when his execution will be, what answer does the director give?
(a) The director says the execution will be in a year.
(b) The director says the execution will be whenever Cincinnatus is ready.
(c) The director says the execution will be the next day.
(d) The director does not know when the execution will be.
7. Where is Cincinnatus during his meeting with Pierre the day after Marthe's first visit?
(a) On his floor.
(b) On his table.
(c) On his chair.
(d) On his cot.
8. What crime does Pierre say he was accused of?
(a) Arguing against the trial system.
(b) Breaking into his wife's bedroom.
(c) Trying to steal a public statue.
(d) Trying to help Cincinnatus escape.
9. What reason does Cincinnatus give Emmie that proves to him that everyone is talking about the date of his execution?
(a) The guard turns off the radio whenever he approaches.
(b) A square was cut out of his morning paper.
(c) He hears people whispering outside his cell.
(d) Everyone looks at him as if they know a secret.
10. What metaphor does Cincinnatus use for trying to find the essence of what he wants to say?
(a) Digging down into the ground to try to uncover roots.
(b) Trying to capture the ash as it flies up in the flame.
(c) Searching through a forest for a vanishing figure.
(d) Groping in the sand beneath the water for something shiny.
11. What does Pierre say was the main evidence against him?
(a) A pair of broken glasses.
(b) A notepad with notes from a phone call on it.
(c) A drawing with his marks on it.
(d) A glove he left behind.
12. Who enters the cell after Cincinnatus undresses at the end of his second day in prison, snapping Cincinnatus's world back to normal?
(c) The prison director.
(d) The spider.
13. Where does Pierre say he is from?
(a) Upper Hampshire.
(b) Upper Kinderton.
(c) Upper Elderbury.
(d) Upper Didderdown.
14. What method of death does Cincinnatus write that he would prefer to beheading by axe?
(a) Shooting by a firing squad.
(b) Electric chair.
(c) Hanging by rope.
15. What reason does Cincinnatus write that he is too dangerous as his own accomplice?
(a) He cannot control himself.
(b) He knows too much.
(c) He distrusts himself.
(d) He means to betray himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Emmie tease during Marthe's visit?
2. What does Rodion do while Cincinnatus looks out over the landscape?
3. What part of Cincinnatus' body does Pierre examine?
4. What scent does Rodrig spray around the cell?
5. What possible consequence of Roman's sickness does the director mention?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)