|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unnatural event from Cincinnatus' childhood does he describe?
(a) A bird flying up into the sky and becoming a cloud.
(b) A woman singing and gradually becoming a chorus and then an orchestra.
(c) A spider growing larger and larger, and then turning into a bus.
(d) A man getting up to help him, and his shadow not following right away.
2. What words does Cincinnatus see written on the wall of the hallway?
(a) Give up already.
(b) Look up.
(c) Testing brush.
(d) No one was here.
3. Who does Cincinnatus ask to turn off the lights before he goes to bed?
(a) An empty room.
(b) The prison director.
(c) The guard.
(d) The spider.
4. What does Rodrig Ivanovich say after Cincinnatus reads the letter?
(a) He repeats the letter backwards.
(b) He says not to trust the written word.
(c) He says the opposite of what the letter has told Cincinnatus.
(d) He says exactly what the letter says, word for word.
5. What does Cincinnatus describe as discovering, as he takes off layer after layer of his clothes/himself?
(a) A connection with the world.
(c) His core being.
6. Who does Emmie slip past when he opens the door to Cincinnatus's cell?
(a) The prison guard.
(c) Cincinnatus's lawyer.
(d) The prison director.
7. What is reflected in the mirror of the wardrobe that Marthe brings with her?
(a) Cincinnatus and Marthe's hallway and the front door beyond.
(b) A corner of her and Cincinnatus' bedroom.
(c) A shadowy figure that Cincinnatus cannot make out.
(d) The back of Marthe's head.
8. What crime does Pierre say he was accused of?
(a) Trying to help Cincinnatus escape.
(b) Arguing against the trial system.
(c) Breaking into his wife's bedroom.
(d) Trying to steal a public statue.
9. What is Marthe holding when she meets with Cincinnaus?
(a) A mirror.
(b) A rosary.
(c) A flower.
(d) A candle.
10. What color are the festive walls of Cincinnatus' cell, as the sun shines in through the freshly washed window?
11. What does Diomedon's right leg resemble?
(a) A rifle.
(b) A bottle.
(c) A tree.
(d) A fishing pole.
12. Which way does Rodion sharpen a pencil?
(a) Toward himself with a knife.
(b) Away from himself with a knife.
(c) With his teeth.
(d) Alternately away from himself and toward himself with a knife.
13. What is the one difference between Marthe's two identical twin brothers?
(a) One is missing a hand, and he keeps his false hand in is pocket.
(b) One is an inch taller than the other.
(c) One has a black mustache and the other a blonde one.
(d) One wears all red clothes and the other all black.
14. Where does Cincinnatus write that he will evolve a third eye?
(a) On the back of his neck.
(b) On the back of his skull.
(c) On his forehead.
(d) On his hand.
15. What does the librarian refuse to do?
(a) Discuss the organization of the library.
(b) Bring Cincinnatus's books.
(c) Particpate in Pierre's card trick.
(d) Discuss the conditions of Cincinnatus's cell.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Emmie?
2. What reason does Cincinnatus give Emmie that proves to him that everyone is talking about the date of his execution?
3. What special item has Cincinnatus asked for?
4. Who is waiting for Cincinnatus in his prison cell?
5. What irrelevant detail does the letter mention?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)