|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cincinnatus think would be necessary for Emmie to rescue him?
(a) For her to feel sorry for him.
(b) For her to listen to him tell his story.
(c) For her to love him.
(d) For her to mature yet remain a child.
2. What is reflected in the mirror of the wardrobe that Marthe brings with her?
(a) Cincinnatus and Marthe's hallway and the front door beyond.
(b) The back of Marthe's head.
(c) A shadowy figure that Cincinnatus cannot make out.
(d) A corner of her and Cincinnatus' bedroom.
3. What does Cincinnatus tell the lawyer is not real?
(a) Cincinnatus says the people around him aren't real.
(b) Cincinnatus says that the execution isn't real.
(c) Cincinnatus says the prison isn't real.
(d) Cincinnatus says that he is not real.
4. What is the first thing Cincinnatus says to Emmie after she slips into his room?
(a) He is gone.
(b) Who are you?
(c) Hello, little girl.
(d) You are safe.
5. What is Rodrig Ivanovich holding after Cincinnatus reads the letter?
(a) A carving knife.
(b) A large apple.
(c) A desk lamp.
(d) A wall calendar.
6. When did Cincinnatus first meet his mother?
(a) In his teens.
(b) In his thirties.
(c) In his twenties.
(d) When he was five.
7. What is Marthe holding when she meets with Cincinnaus?
(a) A rosary.
(b) A candle.
(c) A mirror.
(d) A flower.
8. What metaphor does Cincinnatus use for trying to find the essence of what he wants to say?
(a) Searching through a forest for a vanishing figure.
(b) Trying to capture the ash as it flies up in the flame.
(c) Groping in the sand beneath the water for something shiny.
(d) Digging down into the ground to try to uncover roots.
9. When Cincinnatus asks the prison director when his execution will be, what answer does the director give?
(a) The director says the execution will be the next day.
(b) The director does not know when the execution will be.
(c) The director says the execution will be in a year.
(d) The director says the execution will be whenever Cincinnatus is ready.
10. Which way does Rodion sharpen a pencil?
(a) With his teeth.
(b) Alternately away from himself and toward himself with a knife.
(c) Away from himself with a knife.
(d) Toward himself with a knife.
11. Where is the prison located?
(a) Inside a cavern.
(b) In the middle of the town.
(c) In a lake in a valley.
(d) On a mountaintop.
12. What was unusual about Cincinnatus' sentence?
(a) The sentence was pronounced in a coded phrase.
(b) The sentence was pronounced three times in repetion.
(c) The sentences was pronounced in a foreign language.
(d) The sentence was pronounced backwards.
13. Who tells Cincinnatus that the new prisoner has arrived?
(a) His lawyer.
(c) The prison director.
14. Who does the director say will need time to prepare for the execution?
(a) The townspeople.
(b) The executioner.
(c) The director.
15. When does Pierre say that prison escapes happen?
(a) Only at night.
(b) Only in fairy tales.
(c) When you are unjustly accused.
(d) When the guards are lax.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is waiting for Cincinnatus in his prison cell?
2. What crime does Pierre say he was accused of?
3. What does Rodion do while Cincinnatus looks out over the landscape?
4. What is the director's attitude toward M'sieur Pierre?
5. What special item has Cincinnatus asked for?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)