|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What method of death does Cincinnatus write that he would prefer to beheading by axe?
(a) Electric chair.
(b) Hanging by rope.
(d) Shooting by a firing squad.
2. Which way does Rodion sharpen a pencil?
(a) Alternately away from himself and toward himself with a knife.
(b) With his teeth.
(c) Away from himself with a knife.
(d) Toward himself with a knife.
3. What additional news does Cincinnatus get at the same time?
(a) He will be allowed to meet with his wife.
(b) He will be allowed to choose the time of his execution.
(c) He will be moved to a roomier cell.
(d) He will be given an extra daily dessert.
4. What does the director give to Pierre?
(a) A chocolate cake.
(b) Two gold coins.
(c) Cincinnatus's drawing.
(d) The librarian's scarf.
5. How long does the letter say Cincinnatus will have to wait for the interview?
(a) One day.
(b) One week.
(c) One month.
(d) Four days.
6. Where does Pierre say he is from?
(a) Upper Kinderton.
(b) Upper Didderdown.
(c) Upper Elderbury.
(d) Upper Hampshire.
7. What is dirtying the lawyer's back?
8. What reason does Cincinnatus write that he is too dangerous as his own accomplice?
(a) He knows too much.
(b) He distrusts himself.
(c) He means to betray himself.
(d) He cannot control himself.
9. How old is Emmie?
10. What does the director say to Cincinnatus after the meeting with Pierre?
(a) That he is ashamed of Cincinnatus.
(b) That he is proud of Cincinnatus.
(c) That he is happy for Cincinnatus.
(d) That he envies Cincinnatus.
11. After Cincinnatus gets the news about the new prisoner, what does his cot seem to change into?
(a) A horse.
(b) A door.
(c) A bush.
(d) A boat.
12. What is the first thing Cincinnatus says to Emmie after she slips into his room?
(a) Hello, little girl.
(b) Who are you?
(c) You are safe.
(d) He is gone.
13. What does Rodrig Ivanovich say after Cincinnatus reads the letter?
(a) He says exactly what the letter says, word for word.
(b) He repeats the letter backwards.
(c) He says not to trust the written word.
(d) He says the opposite of what the letter has told Cincinnatus.
14. What awakens Cincinnatus the third day?
(a) A smell.
(d) A taste.
15. What does Cincinnatus credit his lawyer with?
(a) Making himself look good at Cincinnatus's expense.
(b) Saving him from a worse punishment than beheading.
(c) Avoiding doing anything at all at the trial.
(d) Making eloquent speeches that accomplish nothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marthe's escort keep trying to make her wear?
2. What is Cincinnatus's lawyer looking for when he visits Cincinnatus?
3. How old is Cincinnatus when he gets his first job?
4. What does the lawyer offer to Cincinnatus?
5. How are the books in the library catalog listed?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)