|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the director think Cincinnatus should feel about the new prisoner?
(a) Excited and anxious to meet him.
(b) Afraid to meet him, for fear of not being good enough.
(c) Sad at sharing the prison.
(d) Jealous and suspicious.
2. What do Rodion and Cincinnatus do when Rodion comes back to Cincinnatus's cell after first dropping him off?
(a) They jump.
(b) They sing.
(c) They fly.
(d) They dance.
3. What does the lawyer offer to Cincinnatus?
(a) An autographed photo of himself.
(b) Free services to make his will and a trust for his wife.
(c) A private meeting with the judge.
(d) Copies of the trial transcript.
4. Who does Rodrig Ivanovich seem to transform into?
(d) The spider.
5. What does Cincinnatus think would be necessary for Emmie to rescue him?
(a) For her to mature yet remain a child.
(b) For her to love him.
(c) For her to listen to him tell his story.
(d) For her to feel sorry for him.
6. What reason does Rodrig give Cincinnatus to discourage him from complaining?
(a) He says a letter of complaint will not be delivered unless the prison director allows it.
(b) He says that it would be impolite of him to complain.
(c) He says that complainers tend to get worse punishment.
(d) He says the Congress will not meet until June.
7. Who is waiting for Cincinnatus in his prison cell?
(a) His wife.
(b) His lawyer.
(c) The judge.
(d) The prison director.
8. Where is the new prisoner sitting when Cincinnatus first sees him?
(a) On a chair in the corner.
(b) At the table.
(c) On the floor.
(d) On the bed.
9. What irrelevant detail does the letter mention?
(a) New bricks for the prison driveway.
(b) Paint for the sentry boxes.
(c) Presents for the guards.
(d) Replacement parts for the prison clock.
10. What is the first thing Cincinnatus says to Emmie after she slips into his room?
(a) You are safe.
(b) Hello, little girl.
(c) He is gone.
(d) Who are you?
11. What is dirtying the lawyer's back?
12. How are the books in the library catalog listed?
(a) By the color of the cover.
(b) By the author's middle initial.
(c) By the weight of the volume.
(d) By the number of pages.
13. After Emmie leaves his cell, what does Cincinnatus start philosophizing about in his pile of books?
(a) A collection of newspaper clippings.
(b) An old magazine.
(c) A large hardcover volume missing the rest of the set.
(d) A small pamphlet.
14. What does the director give to Pierre?
(a) Cincinnatus's drawing.
(b) The librarian's scarf.
(c) Two gold coins.
(d) A chocolate cake.
15. What does Cincinnatus write is more real than the everyday world?
Short Answer Questions
1. What possible consequence of Roman's sickness does the director mention?
2. What color are the festive walls of Cincinnatus' cell, as the sun shines in through the freshly washed window?
3. What is Cincinnatus allowed to wear at gala performances because of his profession?
4. What is M'sieur Pierre's attitude when he is led into Cincinnatus' cell?
5. What happens when Marthe's grandfather goes to light Marthe's father's cigarette?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)