|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Rodrig give Cincinnatus to discourage him from complaining?
(a) He says a letter of complaint will not be delivered unless the prison director allows it.
(b) He says the Congress will not meet until June.
(c) He says that it would be impolite of him to complain.
(d) He says that complainers tend to get worse punishment.
2. What does the new prisoner look like?
(a) He is tall and thin.
(b) He is small and fat.
(c) He is large and muscular.
(d) He is average in every way.
3. What does Rodion do while Cincinnatus looks out over the landscape?
(a) He paints.
(b) He sweeps.
(c) He washes windows.
(d) He washes dishes.
4. What scent does Rodrig spray around the cell?
5. What does Cincinnatus do with the special envelope his lawyer has brought?
(a) Cincinnatus burns it.
(b) Cincinnatus tears it up.
(c) Cincinnatus throws it out the window.
(d) Cincinnatus spits on it.
6. How old is Cincinnatus when he gets his first job?
7. What crime does Pierre say he was accused of?
(a) Trying to steal a public statue.
(b) Arguing against the trial system.
(c) Breaking into his wife's bedroom.
(d) Trying to help Cincinnatus escape.
8. Which way does Rodion sharpen a pencil?
(a) Away from himself with a knife.
(b) Alternately away from himself and toward himself with a knife.
(c) Toward himself with a knife.
(d) With his teeth.
9. On the eighth day, how much of Cincinnatus' pencil is used up?
(a) More than a third.
(b) About half.
(c) Exactly one quarter.
(d) Almost two-thirds.
10. What animal does Pierre compare Cincinnatus to?
(a) A snake.
(b) A prowling cat.
(c) A shy deer.
(d) A wolf cub.
11. How does Cincinnatus describe his wife?
(a) Forgiving, empty-headed, and easily manipulated.
(b) Friendly, happy, and giving.
(c) Beautiful, humble, and weak.
(d) Nagging, stubborn, and unfaithful.
12. What does Cincinnatus repeat?
(a) All is false and illusory.
(b) There is something missing.
(c) There is nothing in this world.
(d) There is something I know.
13. What animal arrives with Marthe and her family?
(a) An albino rat.
(b) A black cat.
(c) A bulldog.
(d) An iguana.
14. Who does Emmie slip past when he opens the door to Cincinnatus's cell?
(b) Cincinnatus's lawyer.
(c) The prison guard.
(d) The prison director.
15. How does Cincinnatus feel about his wife?
(a) He loves her.
(b) He hates her.
(c) He likes her.
(d) He doesn't care about her.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Cincinnatus asks the prison director when his execution will be, what answer does the director give?
2. What does Cincinnatus see in the morning papers?
3. Who does the director say will need time to prepare for the execution?
4. What about Pierre does Cincinnatus say might prevent him from making an effective escape?
5. Who does Cincinnatus ask to turn off the lights before he goes to bed?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)