|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where on the table does Rodion set the vase of flowers?
(a) Exactly in the center.
(b) Right on the edge.
(c) Not quite at the edge.
(d) Not quite in the center.
2. Who does Emmie slip past when he opens the door to Cincinnatus's cell?
(b) The prison director.
(c) Cincinnatus's lawyer.
(d) The prison guard.
3. What does Rodion do while Cincinnatus looks out over the landscape?
(a) He washes windows.
(b) He washes dishes.
(c) He paints.
(d) He sweeps.
4. How does Pierre characterize Cincinnatus's desire to know the date of his execution?
(a) As a clever ruse.
(b) As foolish curiosity.
(c) As mindless parroting.
(d) As light and friendly banter.
5. What is Rodrig Ivanovich holding after Cincinnatus reads the letter?
(a) A wall calendar.
(b) A carving knife.
(c) A desk lamp.
(d) A large apple.
6. What does Pierre criticize Cincinnatus' attitude as?
(a) Selfish and contemptuous.
(b) Not serious enough.
(c) Constantly angry.
7. What does Cincinnatus do when he undresses at the end of his second day in prison?
(a) He throws his clothes out the window.
(b) He puts his clothes in the bed to form a second version of him.
(c) He redresses and undresses in several different outfits, changing personality.
(d) He continues undressing and takes apart his entire body.
8. What does the director say to Cincinnatus after the meeting with Pierre?
(a) That he is ashamed of Cincinnatus.
(b) That he is happy for Cincinnatus.
(c) That he envies Cincinnatus.
(d) That he is proud of Cincinnatus.
9. Where is the prison located?
(a) On a mountaintop.
(b) Inside a cavern.
(c) In a lake in a valley.
(d) In the middle of the town.
10. What words does Cincinnatus see written on the wall of the hallway?
(a) Give up already.
(b) No one was here.
(c) Testing brush.
(d) Look up.
11. Where is the new prisoner sitting when Cincinnatus first sees him?
(a) On a chair in the corner.
(b) On the floor.
(c) At the table.
(d) On the bed.
12. What does Cincinnatus have to eat when Emmie comes into his cell?
(a) Coffee and cereal.
(b) Eggs and bacon.
(c) Sweet rolls and orange juice.
(d) Hot chocolate and toast.
13. What color are the festive walls of Cincinnatus' cell, as the sun shines in through the freshly washed window?
14. What about Pierre does Cincinnatus say might prevent him from making an effective escape?
(a) His short legs.
(b) His tendency to talk.
(c) His attitude.
(d) His clothes.
15. Why does Cincinnatus start to go for a walk?
(a) Rodion suggests it.
(b) Emmie beckons to him.
(c) He wants to sneak away.
(d) He sees a light down the hallway.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Emmie tease during Marthe's visit?
2. What is M'sieur Pierre's attitude when he is led into Cincinnatus' cell?
3. How long does the letter say Cincinnatus will have to wait for the interview?
4. What does Cincinnatus write is more real than the everyday world?
5. What is dirtying the lawyer's back?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)