|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Cincinnatus describe his wife?
(a) Friendly, happy, and giving.
(b) Forgiving, empty-headed, and easily manipulated.
(c) Nagging, stubborn, and unfaithful.
(d) Beautiful, humble, and weak.
2. What color is the letter Cincinnatus receives when he wakes?
3. What is Cincinnatus's lawyer looking for when he visits Cincinnatus?
(a) The lawyer is looking for his cufflink.
(b) The lawyer is looking for his reading glasses.
(c) The lawyer is looking for his pen.
(d) The lawyer is looking for his library card.
4. What does Pierre criticize Cincinnatus' attitude as?
(a) Constantly angry.
(c) Not serious enough.
(d) Selfish and contemptuous.
5. Who is waiting for Cincinnatus in his prison cell?
(a) His lawyer.
(b) The prison director.
(c) The judge.
(d) His wife.
6. What does Cincinnatus look at in the library catalog?
(a) A child's drawings.
(b) A note from the librarian.
(c) A photograph of himself.
(d) A map of the town.
7. When does Pierre say that prison escapes happen?
(a) Only at night.
(b) Only in fairy tales.
(c) When you are unjustly accused.
(d) When the guards are lax.
8. What present has one of Marthe's brothers brought Cincinnatus?
(a) A bowl of wax fruit.
(b) A statue of Marthe.
(c) A harmonica.
(d) A photograph of himself.
9. How old is Cincinnatus when he gets his first job?
10. What metaphor does Cincinnatus use for trying to find the essence of what he wants to say?
(a) Trying to capture the ash as it flies up in the flame.
(b) Searching through a forest for a vanishing figure.
(c) Groping in the sand beneath the water for something shiny.
(d) Digging down into the ground to try to uncover roots.
11. What possible consequence of Roman's sickness does the director mention?
(a) Cincinnatus will need to represent himself.
(b) Cincinnatus will need a new attorney.
(c) Roman may not make it to the execution.
(d) Roman will not be able to deliver a complaint for Cincinnatus.
12. What does Cincinnatus do when he undresses at the end of his second day in prison?
(a) He throws his clothes out the window.
(b) He puts his clothes in the bed to form a second version of him.
(c) He redresses and undresses in several different outfits, changing personality.
(d) He continues undressing and takes apart his entire body.
13. How does the director think Cincinnatus should feel about the new prisoner?
(a) Afraid to meet him, for fear of not being good enough.
(b) Sad at sharing the prison.
(c) Jealous and suspicious.
(d) Excited and anxious to meet him.
14. What does Cincinnatus have to eat when Emmie comes into his cell?
(a) Eggs and bacon.
(b) Hot chocolate and toast.
(c) Coffee and cereal.
(d) Sweet rolls and orange juice.
15. What does Cincinnatus write is more real than the everyday world?
Short Answer Questions
1. While Cincinnatus meets with his lawyer, who does the prison director inform Cincinnatus is coming?
2. Who enters the cell after Cincinnatus undresses at the end of his second day in prison, snapping Cincinnatus's world back to normal?
3. What is the director doing when Rodion brings Cincinnatus back to his cell from the new prisoner's cell?
4. How long does the letter say Cincinnatus will have to wait for the interview?
5. How are the books in the library catalog listed?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)