|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cincinnatus write is more real than the everyday world?
2. What job does Cincinnatus take on in his twenties?
(a) Window washer.
(b) Cake baker.
(c) Factory manager.
(d) Kindergarten teacher.
3. Who tells Cincinnatus that the new prisoner has arrived?
(b) The prison director.
(c) His lawyer.
4. What color are the festive walls of Cincinnatus' cell, as the sun shines in through the freshly washed window?
5. What is Marthe holding when she meets with Cincinnaus?
(a) A flower.
(b) A rosary.
(c) A mirror.
(d) A candle.
6. What does Cincinnatus see in the morning papers?
(a) Photos of the prison.
(b) Photos of the executioner waving to a crowd.
(c) Photos of his house and family.
(d) Photos of the judge and his lawyer.
7. What method of death does Cincinnatus write that he would prefer to beheading by axe?
(a) Electric chair.
(b) Hanging by rope.
(d) Shooting by a firing squad.
8. What does the new prisoner look like?
(a) He is large and muscular.
(b) He is small and fat.
(c) He is tall and thin.
(d) He is average in every way.
9. Where does Pierre say he is from?
(a) Upper Kinderton.
(b) Upper Elderbury.
(c) Upper Hampshire.
(d) Upper Didderdown.
10. What does Emmie do when Rodion comes to chase her out of the cell?
(a) She sits down and refuses to budge.
(b) She runs to him and hugs him.
(c) She asks him to pick her up and carry her.
(d) She laughs and runs away.
11. What does Cincinnatus repeat?
(a) There is something missing.
(b) There is nothing in this world.
(c) All is false and illusory.
(d) There is something I know.
12. What unnatural event from Cincinnatus' childhood does he describe?
(a) A man getting up to help him, and his shadow not following right away.
(b) A bird flying up into the sky and becoming a cloud.
(c) A spider growing larger and larger, and then turning into a bus.
(d) A woman singing and gradually becoming a chorus and then an orchestra.
13. Where is the prison located?
(a) In a lake in a valley.
(b) On a mountaintop.
(c) Inside a cavern.
(d) In the middle of the town.
14. What does Cincinnatus do at night in his youth when he has his first job?
(a) He writes.
(b) He listens to music.
(c) He plays chess.
(d) He reads.
15. What is Rodrig Ivanovich holding after Cincinnatus reads the letter?
(a) A carving knife.
(b) A large apple.
(c) A wall calendar.
(d) A desk lamp.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the librarian refuse to do?
2. What is Cincinnatus's lawyer looking for when he visits Cincinnatus?
3. What is Marthe wearing when she meets with Cincinnatus?
4. What irrelevant detail does the letter mention?
5. How old is Emmie?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)