|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when M'sieur Pierre sits down?
(a) The chair is too weak and the seat cracks beneath him.
(b) The chair is too deep and he must sit on the forward edge.
(c) He bends his body as if sitting but floats an inch above the chair seat.
(d) His legs do not reach the floor.
2. What is reflected in the mirror of the wardrobe that Marthe brings with her?
(a) Cincinnatus and Marthe's hallway and the front door beyond.
(b) A shadowy figure that Cincinnatus cannot make out.
(c) A corner of her and Cincinnatus' bedroom.
(d) The back of Marthe's head.
3. What awakens Cincinnatus the third day?
(c) A taste.
(d) A smell.
4. What does Cincinnatus repeat?
(a) All is false and illusory.
(b) There is nothing in this world.
(c) There is something I know.
(d) There is something missing.
5. What is Marthe holding when she meets with Cincinnaus?
(a) A rosary.
(b) A flower.
(c) A mirror.
(d) A candle.
6. What does Cincinnatus look at in the library catalog?
(a) A map of the town.
(b) A child's drawings.
(c) A note from the librarian.
(d) A photograph of himself.
7. What do Rodion and Cincinnatus do when Rodion comes back to Cincinnatus's cell after first dropping him off?
(a) They dance.
(b) They fly.
(c) They jump.
(d) They sing.
8. On the eighth day, how much of Cincinnatus' pencil is used up?
(a) Exactly one quarter.
(b) Almost two-thirds.
(c) More than a third.
(d) About half.
9. What is M'sieur Pierre's attitude when he is led into Cincinnatus' cell?
(a) Angry and irritable.
(b) Calm and composed.
(c) Raucous and loud.
(d) Flustered and confused.
10. What does the new prisoner look like?
(a) He is average in every way.
(b) He is tall and thin.
(c) He is large and muscular.
(d) He is small and fat.
11. What does Cincinnatus write is more real than the everyday world?
12. What does the director say to Cincinnatus after the meeting with Pierre?
(a) That he envies Cincinnatus.
(b) That he is proud of Cincinnatus.
(c) That he is happy for Cincinnatus.
(d) That he is ashamed of Cincinnatus.
13. How does Cincinnatus describe his wife?
(a) Beautiful, humble, and weak.
(b) Forgiving, empty-headed, and easily manipulated.
(c) Friendly, happy, and giving.
(d) Nagging, stubborn, and unfaithful.
14. Where does the lawyer take Cincinnatus during their meeting?
(a) Cincinnatus's home.
(b) The lawyer's home.
(c) The prison basement.
(d) The prison roof.
15. What does Cincinnatus do when he undresses at the end of his second day in prison?
(a) He continues undressing and takes apart his entire body.
(b) He puts his clothes in the bed to form a second version of him.
(c) He redresses and undresses in several different outfits, changing personality.
(d) He throws his clothes out the window.
Short Answer Questions
1. What metaphor does Cincinnatus use for trying to find the essence of what he wants to say?
2. When does Cincinnatus think the execution will be at the end of his second day in prison?
3. Who tells Cincinnatus that the new prisoner has arrived?
4. What does the director say is wrong with Roman Vissarionovich?
5. What color are the festive walls of Cincinnatus' cell, as the sun shines in through the freshly washed window?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)