|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Cincinnatus that the new prisoner has arrived?
(a) The prison director.
(b) His lawyer.
2. Where does Pierre say he is from?
(a) Upper Elderbury.
(b) Upper Hampshire.
(c) Upper Didderdown.
(d) Upper Kinderton.
3. What reason does Rodrig give Cincinnatus to discourage him from complaining?
(a) He says a letter of complaint will not be delivered unless the prison director allows it.
(b) He says the Congress will not meet until June.
(c) He says that complainers tend to get worse punishment.
(d) He says that it would be impolite of him to complain.
4. How does the director think Cincinnatus should feel about the new prisoner?
(a) Sad at sharing the prison.
(b) Afraid to meet him, for fear of not being good enough.
(c) Jealous and suspicious.
(d) Excited and anxious to meet him.
5. What does Cincinnatus look at in the library catalog?
(a) A map of the town.
(b) A note from the librarian.
(c) A photograph of himself.
(d) A child's drawings.
6. What does Cincinnatus do with the special envelope his lawyer has brought?
(a) Cincinnatus spits on it.
(b) Cincinnatus tears it up.
(c) Cincinnatus throws it out the window.
(d) Cincinnatus burns it.
7. What does Pierre tell Cincinnatus that they will do together?
(a) Walk up the execution scaffold.
(b) Walk out of the prison to freedom.
(c) Find a path to spiritual well-being.
(d) Take over the guard towers.
8. How many children does Marthe have?
9. What reason does Cincinnatus give Emmie that proves to him that everyone is talking about the date of his execution?
(a) He hears people whispering outside his cell.
(b) The guard turns off the radio whenever he approaches.
(c) A square was cut out of his morning paper.
(d) Everyone looks at him as if they know a secret.
10. What scent does Rodrig spray around the cell?
11. What does Cincinnatus think would be necessary for Emmie to rescue him?
(a) For her to mature yet remain a child.
(b) For her to listen to him tell his story.
(c) For her to feel sorry for him.
(d) For her to love him.
12. In the prison rule number two, what does it say is the prison's pride?
(a) A prisoner's misery.
(b) A prisoner's happiness.
(c) A prisoner's meekness.
(d) A prisoner's good behavior.
13. What does Cincinnatus do outside the new prisoner's cell?
(a) He looks through the peephole.
(b) He whistles and knocks.
(c) He listens at the cell door.
(d) He writes a secret chalk mark on the wall.
14. What happens when Marthe's grandfather goes to light Marthe's father's cigarette?
(a) The lighter goes out.
(b) Marthe's father lights the cigarette first.
(c) He can't make the lighter alight.
(d) He drops the lighter.
15. What crime does Pierre say he was accused of?
(a) Arguing against the trial system.
(b) Trying to steal a public statue.
(c) Breaking into his wife's bedroom.
(d) Trying to help Cincinnatus escape.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cincinnatus allowed to wear at gala performances because of his profession?
2. What is dirtying the lawyer's back?
3. When did Cincinnatus first meet his mother?
4. What does the lawyer offer to Cincinnatus?
5. What job does Cincinnatus take on in his twenties?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)