|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Brandy Alexander owe her entire persona?
2. Where does Shane and Shannon's father take them with his pickup truck in the middle of the night?
3. How does Brandy suggest Shannon think of herself?
4. How long does Brandy have to live in her new gender role before she can have the next surgery?
5. Where has Manus disappeared to at the reception?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the truth about both Shane's and Shannon's accidents?
2. Though he has broken into the house with a knife, what does Manus try to tell Shannon?
3. How does Shannon briefly try to resume her modeling career?
4. After locking Manus in the closet, who does Shannon call and what are the results?
5. Why does Manus's career as a police officer end?
6. What does Brandy propose to Shannon?
7. How does Shannon first meet Brandy?
8. How does Evie feel about her womanhood thus far?
9. What do Shannon's parents buy her for Christmas?
10. How does Shannon try to kill Brandy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shannon's final act is to give Brandy her identity. Why does Shannon choose to do this? What does this action mean for Shannon? What does this action mean for Brandy? Why does Shannon, after the huge adventure she has just had with her brother, need to leave him and never look back? How does the idea of an invisible monster drive her to this point? Why has Shane chosen to look exactly like Shannon in his new life? Do either of these characters find redemption?
Essay Topic 2
According to Brandy, Shannon is not responsible for the way she acts. We are all products of products of products, and have no real choice in whom we become. How is this idea reflected in the novel? Has Brandy broken out of this cycle or does she consider herself a part of it? How has Shannon attempted to break outside of herself? By the end of the novel, has she accomplished her goals? Why or why not? Be sure to include textual evidence in your argument.
Essay Topic 3
The idea of an invisible monster is present throughout the novel. How does this idea apply to each of the main characters? What kind of invisible monsters are affecting their lives? In Shannon's case, how does feeling like an invisible monster hinder her? Does it help her? Why or why not? Be sure to use citations from the text to strengthen your argument.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)