|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose directions does Krakauer decide to follow in his search for missing climbers?
2. Krakauer makes his way to the top of __________ where he must wait for descending climbers to pass.
3. Who admits he perhaps did not always speak up to the other guides when he should have?
4. Who tells one of Fischer's Sherpas to stay behind?
5. Who discovers the bodies of the team mentioned in #151 the next day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gau do in violation of his promise?
2. What does Krakauer notice about the air in Seattle?
3. What does Groom say about the tanks of oxygen at the South Summit, even though Harris was mistaken about this fact?
4. Why does Mike Groom give Krakauer his tank of oxygen?
5. What happens to Krakauer and other climbers from Hall's group when they fly back to Katmandu?
6. What does Krakauer observe about Beidleman?
7. What risks go up as the oxygen in Krakauer's tank begins to decrease?
8. What does Hutchison tell Krakauer which surprises him?
9. What does Krakauer realize about the hiker he thought to be Harris?
10. What do the Japanese climbers do when they find the bodies of the Indian climbers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With the teams, there seems to be trouble brewing between some of the guides and the leaders. This is thought to be another contributing factor to the tragic events.
Part 1: How did Anatoli's absence affect Fischer's team?
Part 2: In what ways did other guides affect their teams? For example, what might Beidleman have done better to help his team?
Part 3: What is crucial in the formation of a team like this? What would have been the ideal situations for the leaders and the guides?
Essay Topic 2
The gradual ascent of the hikers to the different camps allows them to get adjusted to the altitude at different points, without exhausting them.
Part 1: How many camps are located between Base Camp and the Summit?
Part 2: What are some ways hikers acclimate to the decrease in the air density at each phase of their hike?
Part 3: What can happen if the hikers don't take their time in ascending Mount Everest? What are some effects of the altitude on the human body?
Essay Topic 3
In reaching the summit, it can be a amazing feeling of accomplishment. But it almost seems anti-climatic when you realize you still have to go back down - and quickly.
Part 1: Describe how Krakauer feels when he reaches the summit. Are his feelings positive? Negative? Mixed?
Part 2: Do you think hikers might rethink their plans if they knew they only had a few moments to spend on the summit itself? Why or why not?
Part 3: What might you do in the few moments you'd spend at the top of Everest?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)