|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Krakauer impatient about as he runs out of oxygen?
2. What is the final destination of the first hike of the climbers in Rob Hall's group?
3. Hall only makes his climbers hike a few miles a day because of the _______________.
4. What is the name of Rob Hall's climbing organization that leads climbers up to the summit of Mount Everest?
5. Many people on the mountain with Krakauer, he says, are 'marginally qualified ____________. '
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the climbers have to return to Camp Two as they are making their way up to Camp Three?
2. What has Goran Kropp been doing on Mount Everest?
3. What is HACE?
4. What does Krakauer notice in the snow as they are climbing up to Camp Two?
5. Why does Sir Edmund Hillary criticize Rob Hall and similar Everest guides?
6. When Krakauer looks out his airplane window, what does he find so absurd?
7. What alarms Krakauer as he begins to make his own descent from the summit?
8. Why does Doug Hansen stay behind while the rest of the climbers head up to Camp Three?
9. What is Krakauer alarmed to see other climbers doing as they prepare their equipment for their first acclimatization climb?
10. Describe the Icefall.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Krakauer offered to write an article about the commercialization of Mount Everest and how it's affecting the beauty of the area as well as its power.
Part 1: What are some examples of the way Mount Everest has been commercialized in this story?
Part 2: How might this commercialization affect the respect Mount Everest should have from those who climb it?
Part 3: Is there any way to stop the commercialization of this area? Isn't this book furthering its commercialization? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
With the teams, there seems to be trouble brewing between some of the guides and the leaders. This is thought to be another contributing factor to the tragic events.
Part 1: How did Anatoli's absence affect Fischer's team?
Part 2: In what ways did other guides affect their teams? For example, what might Beidleman have done better to help his team?
Part 3: What is crucial in the formation of a team like this? What would have been the ideal situations for the leaders and the guides?
Essay Topic 3
During this particular time period, there are a number of teams up on Mount Everest, all trying to reach the summit on the same date or similar dates.
Part 1: Name three of the teams that are on the mountain at the time of this story.
Part 2: How does the number of teams affect the hiking schedule and the ascents to the summit?
Part 3: If there were fewer groups up on the mountain, would this have made a difference in terms of the eventual events of the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)