|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives a call to Groom, telling him to call off the climb?
2. What is the name of the large chunks into which the glacier breaks?
3. What is the name of John Krakauer's wife?
4. Who is suspected to have frostbite and a frozen larynx?
5. What is the name of the part on the climb where the glacier fractures into large chunks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were the first climbers to reach the summit of Mount Everest?
2. How is the influence of Western culture seen in the village of Namche?
3. List some of the amenities the climbers have while at Base Camp.
4. What does Krakauer help Ang Dorje with when they are back at Camp One?
5. Describe the character of Rob Hall.
6. What does Krakauer describe Tenzing as saying about climbing Mount Everest?
7. When Krakauer looks out his airplane window, what does he find so absurd?
8. Why does Doug Hansen stay behind while the rest of the climbers head up to Camp Three?
9. How experienced are the climbers in Hall's group?
10. Why does Sir Edmund Hillary criticize Rob Hall and similar Everest guides?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Krakauer offered to write an article about the commercialization of Mount Everest and how it's affecting the beauty of the area as well as its power.
Part 1: What are some examples of the way Mount Everest has been commercialized in this story?
Part 2: How might this commercialization affect the respect Mount Everest should have from those who climb it?
Part 3: Is there any way to stop the commercialization of this area? Isn't this book furthering its commercialization? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Anatoli Bourkeev is a person who might be considered a strong hiker, as he was also a guide on the trip to the summit. However, he does not always act in a way that seems to support his role.
Part 1: Describe the character of Anatoli Bourkeev.
Part 2: What kind of hiker and guide is Anatoli Bourkeev? How does this differ from other guides on the trip?
Part 3: In what ways does Anatoli Bourkeev help the hikers? In what ways does he harm the hikers?
Essay Topic 3
With the teams, there seems to be trouble brewing between some of the guides and the leaders. This is thought to be another contributing factor to the tragic events.
Part 1: How did Anatoli's absence affect Fischer's team?
Part 2: In what ways did other guides affect their teams? For example, what might Beidleman have done better to help his team?
Part 3: What is crucial in the formation of a team like this? What would have been the ideal situations for the leaders and the guides?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)