|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who meets Krakauer at the airport when he lands in India for his climbing journey?
(a) Rob Hall
(b) Anatoli Bourkeev
(c) Andy Harris
(d) Scott Fischer
2. What is the cruising altitude of the plane that makes Krakauer realize how absurd it seems to climb that distance as it is so close to Everest's summit measurement?
(a) 30,000 feet
(b) 50,000 feet
(c) 20,000 feet
(d) 35,000 feet
3. Who is the retired colonel who enjoys climbing because it gives him a mission in his new civilian life?
(a) Doug Hansen
(b) Beck Weathers
(c) John Taske
(d) Andy Harris
4. What does Krakauer notice about the Sherpas' culture when they arrive in Namche?
(a) How old they are
(b) How many there are
(c) American clothing and movies
(d) How disrespectful they are
5. Hall says it's actually easy to get up the mountain, "The trick is get down _________."
(b) In time
(c) In one piece
(d) Without falling
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Surveyor General of India that names the peak Mount Everest?
2. What does Krakauer find on a short hike up from Camp Two?
3. Who is the leader of Krakauer's group with which he is climbing in order to write a story for Outside Magazine?
4. Who looked to be the strongest, but is worn out by the quick pace at the start?
5. What is the name for the silk scarf that the Buddhist lama ties around the necks of the climbers before their ascent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sir Edmund Hillary criticize Rob Hall and similar Everest guides?
2. Why does Doug Hansen stay behind while the rest of the climbers head up to Camp Three?
3. How is Krakauer feeling when he arrives at Camp Two?
4. Why does Fischer have to descend to help one of his clients, instead of one of the guides?
5. What alarms Krakauer as he begins to make his own descent from the summit?
6. Describe the character of Pete Shoening.
7. What is Krakauer alarmed to see other climbers doing as they prepare their equipment for their first acclimatization climb?
8. Why do Krakauer and Hansen have troubles getting out of their sleeping bags in the morning?
9. Who were the first climbers to reach the summit of Mount Everest?
10. Describe the Icefall.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)