|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who carries most of the gear for the climbers as they continue their hike up the mountain?
(a) Doug Hansen
(b) John Krakauer
(c) Rob Hall
2. Who is the inexperienced climber that made it to the top of Everest with a guide?
(a) Richard Mills
(b) Robert Menis
(c) Dick Bass
(d) Doug Hansen
3. What is the acronym for the illness Topche comes down with?
4. What has NOT left Krukauer feeling drained when he reaches the summit?
(a) No water
(b) Lack of sleep
(d) Thin air
5. Which team on the mountain is sponsored by a newspaper?
(a) Scott Fischer's
(b) Rob Hall's
(c) South African
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Krakauer notice in the sky after taking pictures? This is something that he had not noticed before.
2. Hall says, "I think it's pretty unlikely that we'll get through this season without something ______ happening up high."
3. While at the summit, Krakauer takes photos of ___________ and Andy Harris.
4. Who are the main guides of Nepal that help the climbers with their goals of reaching the summit?
5. What is Ang Dorje called by the other climbers in the group?
Short Essay Questions
1. List some of the amenities the climbers have while at Base Camp.
2. What has Goran Kropp been doing on Mount Everest?
3. What does Krakauer realize about his breathing when they reach Base Camp again before starting their second acclimatization climb?
4. Why does Sir Edmund Hillary criticize Rob Hall and similar Everest guides?
5. Describe the character of Pete Shoening.
6. Which two people are in the picture Krakauer takes when he gets to the summit?
7. How is Krakauer feeling when he arrives at Camp Two?
8. What is Krakauer alarmed to see other climbers doing as they prepare their equipment for their first acclimatization climb?
9. Describe Andy Harris and what Krakauer learns about him as they hike.
10. After whom was Mount Everest named after?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)