|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Icefall is a dangerous area that is laid out in ropes and _____________.
(a) Fishing lines
(c) Aluminum ladders
2. Krakauer believes climbing Everest is not about the adrenaline rush, but it is 'more about ___________."
(a) Enduring pain
(c) Making it
(d) Loving struggles
3. What is Harris' wife's occupation?
4. What climber actually saved the lives of five other climbers as he tried to ascent to the top of K2?
(a) Anatoli Bourkeev
(c) Scott Fischer
(d) Rob Hall
5. What is Ang Dorje called by the other climbers in the group?
(a) Sherpa master
(b) Climbing monkey
(c) Climbing sirdar
(d) Smiling sherpa
Short Answer Questions
1. Who decides to dress lightly, thinking the sun will warm him up, but instead finds out the wind makes him very cold?
2. Who is the leader of Krakauer's group with which he is climbing in order to write a story for Outside Magazine?
3. Who is Krakauer impressed with in his group because he keeps up a steady pace?
4. Who accompanied Denman on a mission even though he knew it would be unsuccessful?
5. Who was Hall's first partner when he began his climbing operation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Krakauer's feelings when he reaches the summit in his description at the beginning of this book.
2. Why does Fischer have to descend to help one of his clients, instead of one of the guides?
3. How is the influence of Western culture seen in the village of Namche?
4. Who does Krakauer idolize from his own town, as related to his own hiking love?
5. Describe Scott Fischer.
6. What is Krakauer alarmed to see other climbers doing as they prepare their equipment for their first acclimatization climb?
7. How is Krakauer feeling when he arrives at Camp Two?
8. Why do the climbers have to return to Camp Two as they are making their way up to Camp Three?
9. What happened to turn Base Camp into the tidy place it is in the 1990's?
10. Why do Krakauer and Hansen have troubles getting out of their sleeping bags in the morning?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)