|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Icefall is a dangerous area that is laid out in ropes and _____________.
(b) Fishing lines
(d) Aluminum ladders
2. What did Bourkeev do that necessitated that Fischer descend to help a client?
(a) Sleep in
(b) Got ill
(c) Ignored instructions
(d) Climbed ahead of the group
3. What is Ang Dorje called by the other climbers in the group?
(a) Smiling sherpa
(b) Climbing sirdar
(c) Climbing monkey
(d) Sherpa master
4. Sherpas that have reached the summit are highly _________ in the community in which they live.
5. What is Krakauer's reaction to seeing climbers lined up to get to the summit?
6. Who is suspected to have frostbite and a frozen larynx?
(a) Andy Harris
(b) Doug Hansen
(c) John Krakauer
(d) Rob Hall
7. Hall says, "I think it's pretty unlikely that we'll get through this season without something ______ happening up high."
8. In what year did the Mount Everest tragedy as described in the book take place among the climbers in Rob Hall's and Scott Fischer's teams?
9. Who is the doctor for Fischer's group?
(a) Helen Wilton
(b) Doug Hansen
(c) Caroline Mackenzie
(d) Ingrid Hunt
10. What is Andy Harris' wife's name, as Krakauer finds out from hiking with him?
(a) Mary Richardson
(b) Fiona Stevenson
(c) Maddie Lane
(d) Lola Harris
11. What is the name of the part on the climb where the glacier fractures into large chunks?
(a) Glacier Freeze
(c) Western Col
(d) Moving Meadow
12. In 1852, who takes a complete survey of India in order to find out more about this land that is their colony now?
13. Who does Krakauer help when they reach Camp One?
(a) Rob Hall
(b) Ang Dorje
(d) Ang Roshula
14. Who is the overachieving doctor, one who is actually hooked on climbing for its real challenges?
(a) John Taske
(b) Beck Weathers
(c) Doug Hansen
(d) Andy Harris
15. How many camps are above Base Camp, according to Krakauer's description of the mountain?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the quiet Australian that is the third guide in Rob Hall's group that is climbing to the summit?
2. Who is coming down the mountain after traveling from sea level to the top of Everest?
3. Where do the climbers who find Wilson's body bury him?
4. Fischer is from _________.
5. What is on the trail that slows down the hikers as they move along the glacier?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)