|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through South Col: 7:30 a.m., May 11, 1996 - 26,000 Feet.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who carries most of the gear for the climbers as they continue their hike up the mountain?
(a) John Krakauer
(b) Doug Hansen
(c) Rob Hall
2. What has Krakauer worried when he reaches the summit, so much so that he can not enjoy his time there?
(a) Low oxygen
(b) Lack of food
(c) The weather
(d) The appearance of Hall
3. Who led an effort to clean up Base Camp when it was dirty in the 70's and 80's?
(d) Commercial guides
4. Krakauer makes his way to the top of __________ where he must wait for descending climbers to pass.
(a) Hillary Step
(b) Western Cwm
(c) South Col
5. Who is NOT one of the climbers that decides to turn back when they realize they will reach the summit later than they should?
(a) Doug Hansen
(b) John Taske
(c) Lou Kasischke
(d) Stuart Hutchison
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Willi Unsoeld, a man from Krakauer's hometown, do that inspired Krakauer to climb?
2. Who is the overachieving doctor, one who is actually hooked on climbing for its real challenges?
3. What was the nationality of the two climbers who are thought to have reached the summit first, although they never returned to camp?
4. What is obscuring the actual peak for the team climbing in #151, making it look much closer than it actually is?
5. Which climbers were found ill, but alive, although no one stopped to help them?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)