|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The value of the dream is not like a _______________ being banged upon.
2. The wish fulfillment dream is a dream of ____________.
3. What should one be careful to consider after the idea in #55?
4. Freud likens dreaming to other kinds like mental activity like:
5. Dream peculiarity is due to limited ____________ during sleep.
Short Essay Questions
1. The transformation of unconscious thoughts does not imply what, according to Freud?
2. What other question does Freud propose other dream analysts ask?
3. What might dreams appear to not have, according to Strumpell?
4. What does Freud have to say about criticism by the dreamer?
5. What is the fractional interpretation of dreams?
6. Freud says that dream interpretation can be problematic because it should not be based on what?
7. What does Freud say should happen after a great discovery?
8. What is the final additional component of dream formation?
9. What is Freud's method of researching dreams?
10. Where did Freud say that he discovered the wish fulfillment dream?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The forgetting of dreams is a big topic of debate for Freud as he seems to believe it is not that dreams cannot be remembered, but that a patient's view of dreams is what stands in the way of his memory. What evidence does Freud offer to support this theory? Does he ever seem to contradict himself in this idea? What other reasons does Freud give for the forgetting of dreams? What do you personally believe makes one forget about dreams?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of the censor in our lives is brought up by Freud. What does Freud mean by a this? What are some examples of ways that the censor gets in the way of a person? What ways can we avoid the censor? Is a censor a good or a bad thing? Or both? Why? What are some real life examples you can give of censors in your own life?
Essay Topic 3
Freud concedes at one point that there are limitations to symbolic dream interpretation. Why does he feel this way? What are some of the limitations that you see to symbolic dream interpretation? What can these limitations cause? How can these limitations be overcome? Can they? Can symbols be standardized, for example?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)