|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One's mortality will ____________ in one's dreams.
2. Freud questions whether wish fulfillment is a typical __________ of dreams.
3. Freud says that the doctrine is not based on an interpretation of the obvious _______ of dream content.
4. Many people perceive their dreams are _______ or alien.
5. The dream is a significant ___________ tool.
Short Essay Questions
1. What other things (besides the answer to #1) does Freud say he will discuss in the course of the book?
2. With what the dream does Freud begin this section?
3. What does Freud have to say about other dream theories?
4. What cannot be denied in relation to dream work, according to Freud?
5. What is Freud's method of researching dreams?
6. What is the final additional component of dream formation?
7. What does Freud share as something vital in understanding dreams?
8. What does Freud say about the human regard for dreams?
9. Instead of the dream turning a waking idea into a dreaming hallucination, what happens?
10. What are the physical sources of dreams according to Freud?
Essay Topic 1
Freud states that childhood memories may not be 'available' during our waking hours. Why would these memories not be available? Do you agree with Freud? Why or why not? What does Freud think the value of childhood memories is? How can the past be connected to the present? Why is the childhood such an important part of the dream interpretation process?
Essay Topic 2
The forgetting of dreams is a big topic of debate for Freud as he seems to believe it is not that dreams cannot be remembered, but that a patient's view of dreams is what stands in the way of his memory. What evidence does Freud offer to support this theory? Does he ever seem to contradict himself in this idea? What other reasons does Freud give for the forgetting of dreams? What do you personally believe makes one forget about dreams?
Essay Topic 3
Freud creates a list of symbols that could be used to find sexually latent content in dreams. What are some of the symbols he shares and their meanings? Do you agree with his findings? What other symbols do you feel could be used to extrapolate a sexual meaning? What does the focus on sex seem to say abut Freud?
This section contains 1,731 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)