|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After a great ______, one should be careful.
2. While dreams are unreal, the ________ that occur in the dream are real.
3. Freud also talks about the _________ who have calculated the preponderance of painful or distressing dreams.
4. The ____________ of dreams is a manifestation of subjective feelings, desires, and passions.
5. Freud does not believe one set of _________ applies to everyone.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the scientific world left without proper methods for interpreting dreams?
2. What might dreams appear to not have, according to Strumpell?
3. What cannot be denied in relation to dream work, according to Freud?
4. What is one of the things that Freud says can threaten careful dream study?
5. What does Freud say about the human regard for dreams?
6. With what the dream does Freud begin this section?
7. Of what does Freud discuss the conflicts and contradictions?
8. What is the first issue Freud addresses regarding the dream as wish fulfillment?
9. In relation to the waking state, what does Freud say happens during the dreaming state?
10. What is the concern about the disguise of the dream?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freud brings up the idea of the subconscious, the pre-conscious, and the unconscious in this book. What are the definitions of each? How do these terms relate to each other? How do these terms relate to the dream interpretation process? What do these states have to offer the dreamer in their everyday life? Does the separation of thought patterns complicate life or make it easier? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Freud concedes at one point that there are limitations to symbolic dream interpretation. Why does he feel this way? What are some of the limitations that you see to symbolic dream interpretation? What can these limitations cause? How can these limitations be overcome? Can they? Can symbols be standardized, for example?
Essay Topic 3
Symbols are a big part of dream interpretation. Using one dream in Freud's book, list all of the symbols you can find. Then, create your own interpretations of each of these symbols. Knowing these interpretations, what can you ascertain about the meaning of the dream you have chosen? Without these symbols, what would you have interpreted the dream to mean?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)