|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dreams which contain material of which we are not aware in our waking state are called what?
2. After a great ______, one should be careful.
3. Many ______ dreams are strictly painful dreams and appear to have nothing to do with wish fulfillment.
4. At the same time, Freud believes dreams are poetic, divinatory and ________.
5. Freud likens dreaming to other kinds like mental activity like:
Short Essay Questions
1. What might dreams appear to not have, according to Strumpell?
2. What does Freud say about the nature of dreams?
3. What other question does Freud propose other dream analysts ask?
4. As what is the displacement of the dream carried out?
5. What does Schleiermacher's theory state in reference to the strangeness of dreams?
6. What does Freud believe is quote foolish to do?
7. What is the goal of the first interpretation of a dream?
8. In what do dreams mostly 'think'?
9. What does Freud have to say about other dream theories?
10. Whose studies on children does Freud refer to and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freud believes that the interpretation of dreams can yield powerful results for patients. Why does he believe this? How does Freud think dream interpretation will help patients? Do you agree with him? Why or why not? Give three examples of ways dreams could help patients.
Essay Topic 2
Wish fulfillment is another term Freud brings up and discusses at length. Define this term and create a description of a dream in which this process is taking place. What does this mean for the dreamer? What are some examples of wish fulfillment dreams as stated in the book? Does this dream concept make sense to you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Freud discusses the ideas of condensation, displacement and representation. Define each of these terms as Freud uses them and give examples of each. Which of these ideas do you agree with most in terms of dream interpretation? Why? With which of these terms do you not agree? Why?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)