|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Freud does not say there is only one kind of dream as this theory would be easily _________.
2. The dream for the __________ is not meaningless or absurd.
3. The value of the dream is not like a _______________ being banged upon.
4. Freud hopes he will be able to _______ the dream process.
5. Freud justifies that his method is a ______ method of dream interpretation.
Short Essay Questions
1. What inevitably leads to a deeper study of dream problems according to Freud?
2. What does Freud say is difficult about using dream examples?
3. Dreams play no part in the creation of what?
4. Freud says that dream interpretation can be problematic because it should not be based on what?
5. What is another way Freud describes the symbols found in dreams?
6. To what does Freud liken the act of dreaming?
7. Freud says that a scene or wish in the unconscious progresses toward the pre-conscious. What happens then?
8. After Freud defines the act of dreaming, what does he include in this section?
9. What are some alternative causes of dreams as indicated by Freud?
10. What are the ways Freud interprets the dreams he has given for examples?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dreams, as Freud believes, are considered to be foreign to our everyday lives and experiences. However, is this the case? In everyday life, we might have one experience and then dream about that same experience. Does this support the idea of dreams being foreign? What do you think Freud means by that? Can you give one example in which dreams become foreign in relation to real life?
Essay Topic 2
Freud states that childhood memories may not be 'available' during our waking hours. Why would these memories not be available? Do you agree with Freud? Why or why not? What does Freud think the value of childhood memories is? How can the past be connected to the present? Why is the childhood such an important part of the dream interpretation process?
Essay Topic 3
Freud discusses the ideas of condensation, displacement and representation. Define each of these terms as Freud uses them and give examples of each. Which of these ideas do you agree with most in terms of dream interpretation? Why? With which of these terms do you not agree? Why?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)