|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Included in the importance of forgetting dream matter is how __________________ a dream is.
2. From where does the dream's ________ material come?
3. Freud does not believe one set of _________ applies to everyone.
4. Who wrote the studies on anxiety dreams in children?
5. Dream peculiarity is due to limited ____________ during sleep.
Short Essay Questions
1. In relation to the waking state, what does Freud say happens during the dreaming state?
2. What are day residues?
3. What cannot be denied in relation to dream work, according to Freud?
4. Freud says that a scene or wish in the unconscious progresses toward the pre-conscious. What happens then?
5. What does Freud believe is quote foolish to do?
6. What does Freud mention about the dreams in which he has seen numbers and calculations?
7. What are some alternative causes of dreams as indicated by Freud?
8. Of what does Freud discuss the conflicts and contradictions?
9. Where did Freud say that he discovered the wish fulfillment dream?
10. As what is the displacement of the dream carried out?
Essay Topic 1
Freud brings up the idea of the subconscious, the pre-conscious, and the unconscious in this book. What are the definitions of each? How do these terms relate to each other? How do these terms relate to the dream interpretation process? What do these states have to offer the dreamer in their everyday life? Does the separation of thought patterns complicate life or make it easier? Why?
Essay Topic 2
When dreams include actions the dreamer wants to take, but does not, the idea of responsibility becomes a point to consider. Do you feel that these kinds of dreams are a way for a dreamer to avoid taking real life action? Why or why not? Are there instances in which dreams can cause external action in waking life? Give an example of a time in which a dream spurred you on or give an example of a dream that you enjoy having but have not acted upon.
Essay Topic 3
Freud creates a list of symbols that could be used to find sexually latent content in dreams. What are some of the symbols he shares and their meanings? Do you agree with his findings? What other symbols do you feel could be used to extrapolate a sexual meaning? What does the focus on sex seem to say abut Freud?
This section contains 1,722 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)