|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who said dreams appear without actual or appropriate emotional value?
2. Freud explores the ____________ process if a dream is a condensed version of thoughts by virtue of its leaving out most of those thoughts.
3. The dreamer's ________ typical stimuli is never consistent.
(a) response to
(b) interpretation of
(c) movement toward
(d) understanding of
4. Freud uses the dream to discuss the _____ of the problematic nature of dream interpretation.
5. One thought is represented and extended through the dream by way of associated imagery, much in the same way ________ does, according to Freud.
(a) a theories
(b) a book
6. What causes the answer to #159?
(d) A fallen candle
7. These symbols must be translated ______________.
(b) in groups.
(c) one at a time.
(d) within the context of the dreamer's life.
8. What is very common as Freud states occurs in absurd dreams?
(a) Running away
(b) Intellectual performance
(c) Being naked
9. Freud begins this chapter with a discussion of ___________.
(b) retroactive dreaming
(d) changing dream theories
10. What occurs frequently for the dreamer in relation to the characteristics specific to the dream?
(d) Poor interpretation
11. This displacement is also carried out as a _____________ of condensing.
12. Freud does admit that some dreams contain symbols the are responding to ____________ stimuli.
13. In interpreting dreams, the elements that are uncovered must be seen as a _________ whole.
14. The answer to #152 is not directed at the ________ itself but is applied appropriately to the dream content as a response by the dreamer.
15. The means by which dreams are represented do NOT include:
(d) Inverting in nature
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these is NOT considered to be a source of dreams, according to laymen?
2. Dreams can be pointing to a ___________ or to history.
3. What can threaten to undermine the very foundation of our efforts at dream interpretation?
4. Freud notes that the nature of dreams as _____ items in which the intensity of the elements is displaced.
5. The displacement is carried out as ____________ of one idea for another.
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)