|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Waugh describe society?
(a) He described it as it was and as it must be.
(b) He described it as he hoped it to be.
(c) He described it as being far worse than it was.
(d) He did not describe society, but stuck mainly to esotaric ideas.
2. What is the name of the mystery writer with whom Hellman had a long time affair?
(a) Gore Vidal.
(b) Tom Clancy.
(c) Fredrick Hudson.
(d) Dashiell Hammett.
3. What event caused the breakup of Wilson's marriage to Mary McCarthy?
(a) He was caught having an affair.
(b) He cauth his wife having an affair and left her.
(c) He punched his wife and she left him.
(d) His wife unexpectedly died.
4. Which of these was not written by Brecht?
(a) Rape of the Sabine women.
(b) Mother Courage.
(c) The Life of Galileo.
(d) The Trail of Lucullus.
5. Where was the ancestral home that Wilson inherited?
(a) In upstate New York.
(b) In Cape Cod.
(c) In Maine.
(d) In Boston.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year did Wilson die?
2. What was the name of the American philosophy graduate who became Russell's secretary?
3. Where did Russell believe all of the answers to the riddles of the universe could be found?
4. Why did Hellman owe almost two hundred thousand dollars to the government in 1952?
5. How many books did he author?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Hellman view her father?
2. What event caused Orwell to realize that the left was capable of injustice and cruelty of kind almost unknown?
3. Why does Johnson describe Russell as being detached from physical reality?
4. What did Orwell think of fellow intellectuals in comparison to the poor?
5. How did Sartre feel towards America?
6. Describe the uniform Brecht devised for himself in developing of his persona.
7. How did Gollancz typically make his agreements with authors?
8. Why did Gollancz prefer to hire female employees?
9. What activity of Russell's resulted in a mock War Crimes Tribunal held in Stockholm?
10. How does Johnson describe Wilson's writings?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)