|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What friend did Russell give $3000.00 of stock to during WWII?
(a) T.S. Eliot.
(b) Lady Constance Malleson.
(c) Williams Stratchey.
(d) George Santayana.
2. How tall was Sartre?
(a) Very tall at 6 feet 5 inches.
(b) Just over 5 feet 2 inches.
(c) Just under 6 feet tall.
(d) Average nondescript height.
3. What year did Gollancz die?
4. On average how many books did Sartre read every year?
(a) About 100.
(b) He read one per week, 52.
(c) About 300.
(d) He only read one, but studied it intensely.
5. Who did Brecht leave rights to his works to in his will?
(a) He left his estate to his illegimate children and left out his wife.
(b) He left everything to his wife.
(c) He left half of his oeuvre to the Communist Party and half to his wife.
(d) He left different works to four women.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Waugh dislike his contemporary, Cyril Connolly?
2. What was Brecht's first successful play?
3. What year did Wilson die?
4. What political cause did Gollancz successfully campaign for that was close to his heart?
5. What subject did Gollancz teach at Repton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of relationships did Gollancz have with people from the working class?
2. Describe Orwell's appearance.
3. Why was Hellman blacklisted from Hollywood in 1948?
4. How did Hellman view her mother?
5. What business arrangements did Brecht make for himself in 1949 that gave him artistic freedom as well as great revenue?
6. Why did Bertrand Russell write so much?
7. Describe Brecht's childhood.
8. How did Hellman view her father?
9. Why does Johnson describe Russell as being detached from physical reality?
10. According to Johnson, what did Orwell believe about what force had the power to shape the world.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)