|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Brecht's wife?
(a) Helene Weigel.
(b) Isot Kilian.
(c) Kathe Rulicke.
(d) Ruth Berlau.
2. What political cause did Gollancz successfully campaign for that was close to his heart?
(a) He was a spokesperson for veneral disease awareness.
(b) He fought for education reform.
(c) The movement to abolish capital punishment.
(d) He was an advocate for women's suffrage.
3. Who does Johnson select as the write to represent the Old Intellectual belief in utopia?
(a) Evelyn Waugh.
(b) G.K. Chesterton.
(c) Normal Mailer.
(d) George Orwell.
4. What play did Hellman write in the 1960s that was a big success?
(a) Toys in the Attic.
(b) The Seeker.
(d) Thirty-nine Steps.
5. What honor did Gollancz receive in 1945?
(a) He was elected to parliament.
(b) A Knighthood.
(c) The Nobel Prize.
(d) The Golden Seal, a publishers award.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Brecht's work received in the United States?
2. What position did Sartre have during the war?
3. How many books did he author?
4. After Gollancz broke with the Communist, which party did he begin to support?
5. What year did Sartre die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Hellman view her father?
2. What political views did Wilson adopt during the Great Depression?
3. How did Hellman view her mother?
4. Describe the uniform Brecht devised for himself in developing of his persona.
5. According to Johnson, what did Orwell believe about what force had the power to shape the world.
6. Why does Johnson describe Russell as being detached from physical reality?
7. Describe Orwell's appearance.
8. What business arrangements did Brecht make for himself in 1949 that gave him artistic freedom as well as great revenue?
9. Describe Jean-Paul Sartre's appearance.
10. What type of relationships did Gollancz have with people from the working class?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)