|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many siblings did Connolly have?
(a) He was an only child.
(b) He was a twin, but had no other siblings.
(c) He had three siblings.
(d) He came from a large family of nine.
2. Where did Russell believe all of the answers to the riddles of the universe could be found?
(a) In the human mind.
(b) He believed that most things could not be solved or understood.
(c) In the Bible.
(d) In observing nature.
3. Who opened Gollancz'a papers for inspection?
(a) His brother, Archibald.
(b) His wife.
(c) His daughter Livia.
(d) Gollancz asked that his papers be made public in his will.
4. How many wives did Wilson have?
5. What was Brecht's first successful play?
(a) The Slave.
(b) Triumph and Sadness.
(c) The Mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What enabled Wilson financially to travel to Russia?
2. Which political party did Bertolt Brecht faithfully serve?
3. What event caused the breakup of Wilson's marriage to Mary McCarthy?
4. What was the name of Russell's fourth wife?
5. What was the name of Hellman's first hit play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the uniform Brecht devised for himself in developing of his persona.
2. What made Sartre famous in 1944?
3. What political views did Wilson adopt during the Great Depression?
4. How did Gollancz typically make his agreements with authors?
5. Describe Jean-Paul Sartre's appearance.
6. What type of relationship did Wilson have with other writers?
7. What redeeming quality does Johnson specifically note of Brecht?
8. Why did Gollancz prefer to hire female employees?
9. What business arrangements did Brecht make for himself in 1949 that gave him artistic freedom as well as great revenue?
10. What event caused Orwell to realize that the left was capable of injustice and cruelty of kind almost unknown?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)