|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For which American newspaper did Marx work as a European correspondent for?
(a) The New York Times.
(b) The Washington Post.
(c) The New York Daily Tribune.
(d) The Guardian.
2. What was Hemingway's nickname?
(a) Action man.
(b) Whisky Hemingway.
(c) Papa Hemingway.
(d) Exciting Ernst.
3. How did Shelley die?
(a) He drowned.
(b) He was shot.
(c) He suffered a heart attack.
(d) He overdosed on opium.
4. What was the name of the US Ambassador that gave him a job to look out for German U-boats?
(a) Don Passos.
(b) Robert Jordan.
(c) Spruille braden.
(d) Art Duran.
5. What was Ibsen's last statement?
(a) I have conquered.
(b) I will sleep peacefully.
(c) No thank you.
(d) On the contrary.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Marx write the Communist Manifesto?
2. What year was Tolstoy born?
3. Where was Hemingway's home Finca Vigia?
4. What occupation did Hemingway serve latter part of the Great War?
5. What was the nickname of Helen Demuth who spent her life working for the Marx family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Tolstoy go through periods where he would renounce art and only exert moral leadership?
2. How did Ibsen interact with women?
3. What addiction did Hemingway suffer from most of his life?
4. How did Tolstoy view women?
5. What action did Rousseau take after his second book prompted book burning and resulted in a warrant for his arrest in France?
6. What effect did Ernst Hemingway have upon American culture?
7. Why could it be argued that Karl Marx is the intellectual who has had the most impact on people?
8. Describe Harriet Shelley.
9. Describe Rousseau's family life in his youth.
10. How did Marx believe that Socialism would come about?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)