|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Shelley die?
(a) He was shot.
(b) He suffered a heart attack.
(c) He drowned.
(d) He overdosed on opium.
2. Why did Ibsen claim he liked to be around young women?
(a) He was attracted sexually to young girls.
(b) They were muses for his writing.
(c) He liked to pretend they were his daughters.
(d) He liked to have them about as servants to take care of him.
3. What was the name of Tolstoy's wife?
4. How did Hemingway regard organized religion?
(a) He had no opinion on religion.
(b) He believed in personal worship rather than organized religion.
(c) He identified Christianity with male honor.
(d) He saw it as a menace to human happiness.
5. What type of vocation did Marx's family (on both sides) participate in?
(a) They were farmers.
(b) They were Talmudic scholars.
(c) They were factory workers from the proletariat class.
(d) They were aristocrats.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who would receive Shelley's title of baronet?
2. What vices appealed to Tolstoy the most?
3. How did Hemingway interact with his fellow writers?
4. What is the name of the person, whom Ibsen based his character of Nora from A Doll's House on?
5. What country was Ibsen born in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ibsen feel about medals and awards?
2. Following his death, how did scholars like Eliot, Hugo, Flaubert, Tolstoy, Kant and Shelley regard Rousseau?
3. Why are all of Ibsen's works so different?
4. How did Ibsen interact with women?
5. What effect did Ernst Hemingway have upon American culture?
6. Why could it be argued that Karl Marx is the intellectual who has had the most impact on people?
7. How did Tolstoy view women?
8. Describe Rousseau's family life in his youth.
9. What personal hygiene habits did Hemingway have?
10. Describe Ibsen's appearance.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)