|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What vocation did Rousseau's father have?
(a) He was a politician.
(b) He was born an aristocrat.
(c) He was a writer.
(d) He was a watchmaker.
2. What mistress of Shelley's would live to be over eighty and inspire Henry James's story, The Aspern Papers?
(a) Mary Hoppner.
(b) Elena Goodwin.
(c) Claire Clairmont.
(d) Beth Owen.
3. What political approach did Hemingway take in his perspective of the Spanish Civil War?
(a) He wrote with a republican agenda.
(b) He wrote from the Communist Party line.
(c) He wrote with an emphasis on Capitalism.
(d) He supported the Fascist perspective.
4. What is the name of Rousseau's first novel?
(b) La Nouvelle Heloise.
(d) La Nouvelle Histoire.
5. What was Ibsen's first literary success?
(a) Hedda Gabler.
(b) The Pretenders.
(c) A Doll's House.
(d) The Wild Duck.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Hemingway's home Finca Vigia?
2. What University did Marx receive his doctorate from?
3. what was the name of Hemingway's second wife?
4. What is the name of the person, whom Ibsen based his character of Nora from A Doll's House on?
5. What was the name of Hemingway's favorite sister?
Short Essay Questions
1. What arrangement did Shelley attempt to make with his women counterparts, that never worked?
2. Describe Rousseau's family life in his youth.
3. What type of soldier was Tolstoy?
4. When Marx wrote poetry as a child, what was the content of his creations?
5. How did the American public view Hemingway?
6. How did Tolstoy view women?
7. Describe Harriet Shelley.
8. What addiction did Hemingway suffer from most of his life?
9. Describe the typical arc of Rousseau's friendships.
10. How did Ibsen feel about medals and awards?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)