|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Ibsen pay for his university education?
(a) By writing plays.
(b) He worked as a grammar tutor.
(c) By waiting tables.
(d) He worked at the fish docks.
2. What is the name of the book that Marx spent most of his life working on?
(d) The Philosphy of Marx.
3. Where was Hemingway's home Finca Vigia?
(a) In Flordia.
(b) On the island of Crete.
(c) In Cuba.
(d) In Madrid Spain.
4. What was the name of Hemingway's third wife?
(a) Martha Gellhorn.
(b) Pauline Pfeiffer.
(c) Mary Welsh.
(d) Hadley Richardson.
5. Who did Tolstoy correspond with frequently in his old age, offering his opinions on every subject?
(a) Many serfs from his childhood home.
(b) Charles Dickens.
(c) The pope.
(d) Heads of state.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the nickname of Helen Demuth who spent her life working for the Marx family?
2. What religion did Ibsen follow?
3. What is the name of Ibsen's acknowledged son?
4. What was the name of the US Ambassador that gave him a job to look out for German U-boats?
5. Which of the following is not a play penned by Ibsen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tolstoy view women?
2. What action did Rousseau take after his second book prompted book burning and resulted in a warrant for his arrest in France?
3. What effect did Ernst Hemingway have upon American culture?
4. Describe Harriet Shelley.
5. How did the American public view Hemingway?
6. What personal hygiene habits did Hemingway have?
7. Following his death, how did scholars like Eliot, Hugo, Flaubert, Tolstoy, Kant and Shelley regard Rousseau?
8. Describe Ibsen's appearance.
9. What type of childhood did Shelley have as described in Chapter 2?
10. Why could it be argued that Karl Marx is the intellectual who has had the most impact on people?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)