|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What foreign country did Gollancz live in briefly while working for the Ministry of Food?
2. What year did Gollancz break with the Communist party?
3. How many books did he author?
4. What was Brecht's first Marxist work that was produced in 1930?
(a) Threepenny Opera.
(d) Die Massanhme.
5. What title did Russell hold?
(a) He was a Duke.
(b) He was an Earl.
(c) He was a Lord in the House of Parliament.
(d) He was a Baron.
6. How many siblings did Sartre have?
(c) He was an only child.
7. What honor did Gollancz receive in 1945?
(a) The Nobel Prize.
(b) A Knighthood.
(c) The Golden Seal, a publishers award.
(d) He was elected to parliament.
8. Who does Johnson select as the write to represent the Old Intellectual belief in utopia?
(a) Normal Mailer.
(b) George Orwell.
(c) G.K. Chesterton.
(d) Evelyn Waugh.
9. What year did Russell die?
10. What caused Brecht to leave Germany in 1933?
(a) He married a woman from Italy.
(b) He was offered a position in Russia.
(c) Hitler came to power.
(d) He was invited to go to Hollywood.
11. What year did Sartre die?
12. What political cause did Gollancz successfully campaign for that was close to his heart?
(a) The movement to abolish capital punishment.
(b) He was a spokesperson for veneral disease awareness.
(c) He was an advocate for women's suffrage.
(d) He fought for education reform.
13. What was the name of Gollancz'a wife?
14. What year was Bertrand Russell born?
15. What was the name of the rich Philadelphian with whom Hellman became involved with towards the end of her life?
(a) Samuel McCracken.
(b) Herbert Steiner.
(c) Joseph McCarthy.
(d) Arthut Cowan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not a title of a volume of Hellman's autobiography?
2. Where did Russell believe all of the answers to the riddles of the universe could be found?
3. What was the name of the progressive school that Russell set up?
4. What year did Hellman die?
5. How tall was Sartre?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)