|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was the ancestral home that Wilson inherited?
(a) In Cape Cod.
(b) In Maine.
(c) In Boston.
(d) In upstate New York.
2. How was Brecht's work received in the United States?
(a) The government provided him with a small stipend.
(b) Hollywood embraced his style.
(c) He was not accepted.
(d) Brecht never attempted to promote his work in America.
3. What enabled Wilson financially to travel to Russia?
(a) He won the lottery.
(b) A Guggenheim scholarship.
(c) A legacy from his father.
(d) An advance on his next book.
4. How did Brecht die?
(a) He was in a car accident.
(b) He was executed by a West German sniper.
(c) He suffered a heart attack.
(d) He committed suicide.
5. What was the name of George Orwell when he was born?
(a) Harold Lewis.
(b) Peter Soles.
(c) Eric Blair.
(d) Keith Burton.
6. What year did Brecht die?
7. After Gollancz broke with the Communist, which party did he begin to support?
(a) The Whig Party.
(b) The Labour Party.
(c) The Nazis.
(d) The Neo-Democrats.
8. What was the name of Gollancz'a wife?
9. What did Hellman use as inspiration for her book, Miss Lonelyhearts?
(a) Information from the classifieds.
(b) She stole the material from another writer.
(c) Guests' letters that she secretly opened.
(d) Conversations she heard in the stairwell of her apartment.
10. What year did Orwell die?
11. What is the autobiography penned by Sartre?
(a) C'est la.
(b) La Vie.
(d) Les Mots.
12. What was Brecht's first successful play?
(a) Triumph and Sadness.
(b) The Slave.
(d) The Mother.
13. How did Waugh describe society?
(a) He described it as being far worse than it was.
(b) He did not describe society, but stuck mainly to esotaric ideas.
(c) He described it as he hoped it to be.
(d) He described it as it was and as it must be.
14. Who does Johnson select as the write to represent the Old Intellectual belief in utopia?
(a) Normal Mailer.
(b) G.K. Chesterton.
(c) Evelyn Waugh.
(d) George Orwell.
15. What work did Wilson write when he was exploring Communist?
(a) To the Finland Station.
(b) The Trotsky theory.
(c) A Socialist View.
(d) Letters to Stalin.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many books did he author?
2. What was the name of Connolly's wife?
3. What language did Wilson learn and master in order to read books in their original form in the 1930s?
4. What opera had Gollancz seen forty-seven times before the age of twenty-one?
5. What was the name of Sartre's first philosophical novel published in 1938?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)