|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of contact did Hellman have with the workers?
(a) Hellman minutely studied the workers and even lived with them for a year.
(b) Hellman had little contact with the workers.
(c) Hellman came from a low-income family.
(d) Hellman had two close friends from the worker class.
2. What desire did Wilson's mother have for him?
(a) She wanted him to become a doctor and save lives.
(b) She wanted him to become a distinguished athete.
(c) She saw his potential and urged him to be a writer.
(d) She wanted him to be an architect.
3. Who did Brecht leave rights to his works to in his will?
(a) He left everything to his wife.
(b) He left his estate to his illegimate children and left out his wife.
(c) He left different works to four women.
(d) He left half of his oeuvre to the Communist Party and half to his wife.
4. What is the autobiography penned by Sartre?
(a) C'est la.
(c) Les Mots.
(d) La Vie.
5. What event caused the breakup of Wilson's marriage to Mary McCarthy?
(a) He was caught having an affair.
(b) He punched his wife and she left him.
(c) He cauth his wife having an affair and left her.
(d) His wife unexpectedly died.
6. How did Wilson regard women?
(a) He was somewhat fearful of them.
(b) He was completely indifferent towards women and saw them only as objects.
(c) He adored and worshipped women.
(d) He saw women as incapable darlings.
7. What work did Wilson write when he was exploring Communist?
(a) Letters to Stalin.
(b) The Trotsky theory.
(c) A Socialist View.
(d) To the Finland Station.
8. Which political party did Bertolt Brecht faithfully serve?
(a) The Communist Party.
(b) The Nazi Party.
(c) The Eastern Democratic Party.
(d) The Nationalist Party.
9. How was Brecht's work received in the United States?
(a) Brecht never attempted to promote his work in America.
(b) The government provided him with a small stipend.
(c) He was not accepted.
(d) Hollywood embraced his style.
10. What enabled Wilson financially to travel to Russia?
(a) An advance on his next book.
(b) He won the lottery.
(c) A Guggenheim scholarship.
(d) A legacy from his father.
11. How many siblings did Sartre have?
(a) He was an only child.
12. What year was Bertrand Russell born?
13. What year did Gollancz die?
14. What was the name of Hellman's first hit play?
(a) The Captive.
(b) The Weirding Way.
(d) The Childrens Hour.
15. What year was Hellman born?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Brecht's first successful play?
2. What position did Sartre have during the war?
3. How many books did he author?
4. What opera had Gollancz seen forty-seven times before the age of twenty-one?
5. What did Hellman use as inspiration for her book, Miss Lonelyhearts?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)