|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which benefactress of Rousseau died of malnutrition after he refused to help her in her old age?
(a) Mademoiselle Lambercier.
(b) Mademoiselle Groton.
(c) Madame de Warens.
(d) Madame D'Epinary.
2. How many children did Rousseau have with his wife?
3. How did Hemingway die?
(a) He drowned while deep sea fishing.
(b) He was in a plane accident.
(c) He committed suicide.
(d) He died of natural causes.
4. What vices appealed to Tolstoy the most?
(a) Drinking and hunting.
(b) Drugs and alcohol.
(c) Lying and forging.
(d) Women and gambling.
5. What was the name of Tolstoy's wife?
6. What was the nickname of Helen Demuth who spent her life working for the Marx family?
7. How many siblings did Ibsen have?
(c) He was an only child.
8. Who was the first great nineteenth century American intellectual?
(a) Gertrude Stein.
(b) Mark Twain.
(c) Nathanial Hawthorne.
(d) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
9. What mistress of Shelley's would live to be over eighty and inspire Henry James's story, The Aspern Papers?
(a) Claire Clairmont.
(b) Beth Owen.
(c) Mary Hoppner.
(d) Elena Goodwin.
10. What was the name of the estate that Tolstoy inherited from his mother?
(a) The Romanov pula.
(b) Yasnaya Polyana.
11. Where is Rousseau buried?
(b) Ile des Peupliers.
(c) Pere Lachaise Cemetery.
12. What was the name of Tolstoy's youngest daughter that revered him as his disciple?
13. What other Intellectual influenced Tolstoy in his youth?
(d) St. Augustine.
14. How did Marx support his family financially through most of his life?
(a) He was supported by the government and received a salary for his work.
(b) He worked as a railway clerk.
(c) He borrowed money and received legacies from family.
(d) His writings were an immediate success and provided handsomely for the family.
15. Which of the following armies did Tolstoy not fight during his tenure with the Russian army?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ibsen's last statement?
2. What is the name of Marx's daughter, who became a mistress of Edward Aveling?
3. What is the name of Ibsen's wife?
4. How many children did Shelley have?
5. What young woman was a laundress and agreed to become Rousseau's mistress on a permanent basis?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)