|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the partner, with whom Marx co-authored many of his works?
2. What is the name of Ibsen's acknowledged son?
3. What year was Shelley born?
4. What was the nickname of Hemingway's son, Jack?
5. What is the name of the person, whom Ibsen based his character of Nora from A Doll's House on?
(a) Kirste Holst.
(b) Miriam White.
(c) Laura Kieler.
(d) Hilde Wangel.
6. What was Hemingway's nickname?
(a) Papa Hemingway.
(b) Exciting Ernst.
(c) Whisky Hemingway.
(d) Action man.
7. What University did Marx receive his doctorate from?
(a) Oxford University.
(b) Berlin University.
(c) Bonn University.
(d) Sorbonne University.
8. How did Marx support his family financially through most of his life?
(a) He worked as a railway clerk.
(b) His writings were an immediate success and provided handsomely for the family.
(c) He was supported by the government and received a salary for his work.
(d) He borrowed money and received legacies from family.
9. What was Hemingway's first published work?
(a) The Old Man and the Sea.
(b) Three Stories and Ten Poems.
(c) The Sun Also Rises.
(d) For Whom the Bell Tolls.
10. Who did Tolstoy correspond with frequently in his old age, offering his opinions on every subject?
(a) Charles Dickens.
(b) Heads of state.
(c) Many serfs from his childhood home.
(d) The pope.
11. What movement did Ralph Waldo Emerson found?
(c) New Nationalism.
12. Where was Rousseau born?
13. What ancient languages did Shelley attain great fluency in at Eton?
(a) Latin and Greek.
(b) Hebrew and Sanskrit.
(c) Latin and Egyptian.
(d) Greek and Hebrew.
14. What was the name of Hemingway's first wife?
(a) Hadley Richardson.
(b) Martha Gellhorn.
(c) Katie Passos.
(d) Bryn Mawr.
15. What was the name of the estate that Tolstoy inherited from his mother?
(b) Yasnaya Polyana.
(c) The Romanov pula.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Ibsen's wife?
2. What was Ibsen's last statement?
3. How did Marx's daughter Laura die?
4. How many children did Rousseau have with his wife?
5. Which benefactress of Rousseau died of malnutrition after he refused to help her in her old age?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)