|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the first great nineteenth century American intellectual?
(a) Gertrude Stein.
(b) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(c) Nathanial Hawthorne.
(d) Mark Twain.
2. What University did Marx receive his doctorate from?
(a) Bonn University.
(b) Berlin University.
(c) Sorbonne University.
(d) Oxford University.
3. What occupation did Hemingway serve latter part of the Great War?
(a) He was a spy stationed in Italy.
(b) He worked as an ambulance worker.
(c) He served as a pilot in the airforce.
(d) He served on a submarine.
4. What was Shelley's nickname at school?
(a) Baron Secrecy.
(b) The Poet Prophet.
(c) The Eton atheist.
5. Where was Rousseau born?
6. What country was Ibsen born in?
7. what was the name of Hemingway's second wife?
(a) Mary Welsh.
(b) Dorothy Smurthwaite.
(c) Pauline Pfeiffer.
(d) Hadley Richardson.
8. What is the name of the partner, with whom Marx co-authored many of his works?
9. What was Hemingway's first published work?
(a) The Sun Also Rises.
(b) For Whom the Bell Tolls.
(c) The Old Man and the Sea.
(d) Three Stories and Ten Poems.
10. What year was Hemingway born?
11. What was the name of Hemingway's favorite sister?
12. When Marx could not find an academic position after receiving his doctorate, what type of work did begin?
(a) He became a journalist.
(b) He became a librarian.
(c) He became a factory foreman.
(d) He because a privat tutor.
13. What vocation did Rousseau's father have?
(a) He was born an aristocrat.
(b) He was a politician.
(c) He was a writer.
(d) He was a watchmaker.
14. How did Shelley die?
(a) He suffered a heart attack.
(b) He drowned.
(c) He was shot.
(d) He overdosed on opium.
15. Where was Hemingway's home Finca Vigia?
(a) On the island of Crete.
(b) In Flordia.
(c) In Cuba.
(d) In Madrid Spain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following armies did Tolstoy not fight during his tenure with the Russian army?
2. How did Ibsen pay for his university education?
3. What was the name of Tolstoy's wife?
4. What occupation did Hemingway begin his career with in 1921?
5. How many siblings did Ibsen have?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)