Chapter 1, Jean-Jacques Rousseau: An Interesting Madman
1. How did Rousseau first become known?
(a) He won an essay competition.
(b) He published a novel.
(c) He was distinguished as a soldier.
(d) He was elected as mayor of his city.
2. What is the name of Rousseau's first novel?
(a) La Nouvelle Heloise.
(c) La Nouvelle Histoire.
3. Where was Rousseau born?
4. What vocation did Rousseau's father have?
(a) He was born an aristocrat.
(b) He was a watchmaker.
(c) He was a writer.
(d) He was a politician.
5. What young woman was a laundress and agreed to become Rousseau's mistress on a permanent basis?
(a) Therese Levasseur.
(b) Madame Melchior.
(c) Joan MacDonald.
(d) Madame d'Epinay.
6. What work did Rousseau write that was autobiographical?
7. What was the name of Rousseau's dog?
8. How many children did Rousseau have with his wife?
9. What happened to Rousseau's children?
(a) He abandoned all of them at orphanages.
(b) They all grew up to be writers.
(c) They were adopted by Lord Boswell in England.
(d) They all died at birth.
This section contains 4,065 words
(approx. 14 pages at 300 words per page)