|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Innumeracy is ________.
2. Which is the false adage pointed out by Paulos?
3. What is not a common aid used to teach math?
4. What famous doctor does Paulos consider to be an innumerate?
5. What age is the child mentioned?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is used as Paulos' example of educated innumerates? What is the person known for in the scientific world?
2. Why was Freud's calculation incorrect? What was overlooked?
3. How is it possible for people to ignore false outcomes in regards to probabilities?
4. What is the author's opinion of the most common example of innumeracy?
5. In what areas of one's life is estimation important?
6. How common is innumeracy? What is the opinion of the general population regarding the subject?
7. How does Paulos relate this theory to Freud and the prediction of the great doctor's death?
8. What is the downfall of technology in regards to innumeracy?
9. What is Paulos' assertion regarding the principle of threes?
10. What is Paulos' quote regarding innumeracy and pseudoscience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Paulos' definition of "Extreme Intellectual Lethargy." What is it? How is it described? Do you or anyone you know suffer from EIL? Explain. What are the symptoms? Are there any remedies for EIL? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Freud and Jung are important people in Chapter 2. Compare and contrast the two famous doctors, their professional lives, careers, and legacies.
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of polling? How is it done? What missteps can cause a poll to be inaccurate? How can the issue be resolved? Give at least three examples of polls, methods, and why they are important.
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)