|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is not mentioned as something being estimated?
(d) Mortgage payment.
2. What did Paulos dream about?
(a) Flying to the moon.
(b) A hut on a tropical island beach.
(d) Solving the world's largest word problem.
3. The situation for mathematically uneducated high school students is:
(b) A fact of life.
4. Which is taught in elementary schools?
5. Which of the following is rationalized?
(a) Truth in predictions.
(b) Failure of predictions.
(c) Uncertain results.
(d) False evidence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Paulos states that some people believe _______.
2. Lack of what is responsible for that fear?
3. Which is an incorrect statement in science?
4. Many are innumerate because they cannot connect math to:
5. At what age did the second doctor think he would die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paulos explain the famous monkey/Shakespeare probability example?
2. What is the discussion regarding the number of certainties involved in math?
3. What is the downfall of technology in regards to innumeracy?
4. What other fallacies were contributed by Freud?
5. Explain Paulos' example about Ronald Regan and the incorrect use of substitution values.
6. Why is the innumeracy in this case surprising to many?
7. How does Paulos relate this theory to Freud and the prediction of the great doctor's death?
8. How is it possible for people to ignore false outcomes in regards to probabilities?
9. What is the author's opinion of parapsychology as a pseudoscience?
10. Why is estimation important? Who does it affect?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)