|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lack of what is responsible for that fear?
2. Which can be blamed for poor curriculum?
(a) Economic data.
(b) Reading level of students.
(d) Employment demographics.
3. Paulos likes to debunk which of the following?
(d) Abstract thinking.
4. How many days is a woman's cycle?
(a) 14 days.
(b) 23 days.
(c) 28 days.
(d) 5 days.
5. Which skill is rarely taught?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which capital city is mentioned?
2. What do people often use to rationalize things?
3. Deciding how to buy which item might help children learn?
4. Children often fear what?
5. Innumerates are more likely to believe in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the largest errors in integrating math into a student's life? What is a common result?
2. Explain Paulos' example about Ronald Regan and the incorrect use of substitution values.
3. What are the most obvious causes of innumeracy?
4. What is the downfall of technology in regards to innumeracy?
5. Who is used as Paulos' example of educated innumerates? What is the person known for in the scientific world?
6. How does Paulos explain the famous monkey/Shakespeare probability example?
7. Why is the innumeracy in this case surprising to many?
8. What is the author's opinion of parapsychology as a pseudoscience?
9. What is another commonly overlooked skill in elementary math classes? Why is it an issue?
10. In what areas of one's life is estimation important?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)