|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which president is mentioned in the beginning of this chapter?
2. Who is used as one of the examples?
3. What is a student's last chance to learn math?
(b) Middle school.
(c) High school.
(d) On the job.
4. Many people assume that cashiers can calculate ________.
(d) Multiple items.
5. What is the best way to improve math skills?
(a) Study underlying philosophy.
(b) Reading math books.
(c) Teach another.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which other country is mentioned?
2. Which of the following is mentioned as being highly affected by lack of estimating skills?
3. What did the doctor invent?
4. When a student reaches college it is impossible to take the time to teach ________.
5. What did Paulos dream about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Freud's calculation incorrect? What was overlooked?
2. What is the author's opinion of parapsychology as a pseudoscience?
3. In what areas of one's life is estimation important?
4. What is one of the largest errors in integrating math into a student's life? What is a common result?
5. What is the author's opinion of the most common example of innumeracy?
6. What are the most obvious causes of innumeracy?
7. Why is the innumeracy in this case surprising to many?
8. How does Paulos explain the famous monkey/Shakespeare probability example?
9. How did Paulos overcome his early negative experiences in math?
10. What is the discussion regarding the number of certainties involved in math?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)