|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What number is used in the joke about the population of the city?
2. What did the explorer discover?
(b) Polio vaccine.
(c) Spice Islands.
(d) Fountain of Youth.
3. Who is the first doctor mentioned?
4. Which is an example of a coincidence?
(a) Finding a penny on the sidewalk.
(b) Finding a good parking spot.
(c) Being hired for a new job.
(d) Winning streak.
5. This doctor was fond of which topic?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did the Italian scientist make this discovery?
2. What is the name of the expert in this chapter?
3. The first stranger's wife went to what kind of camp?
4. What news professional makes common errors in predictions?
5. Where is the stadium located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do doctors often do that is mathematically incorrect?
2. How is that encounter explained?
3. What amusing example does Paulos use to illustrate the misunderstanding of numbers?
4. Discuss the first of the most famous examples of coincidence.
5. What is the example used by Paulos to demonstrate the connections between people?
6. The first example Paulos uses about percentages relates to weather forecasters. What is the mistake?
7. What is the Archimedes Principle?
8. Examine the first story told by Paulos in this chapter.
9. How was the situation in the story handled? How did it involve probability?
10. Which famous doctor does Paulos introduce first? What is the doctor's opinion?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)