|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is rationalized?
(a) False evidence.
(b) Truth in predictions.
(c) Failure of predictions.
(d) Uncertain results.
2. When a student reaches college it is impossible to take the time to teach ________.
(a) Basic algorithms.
3. What animal is referred to by the author?
4. Paulos mentions which famous structure?
(a) Statue of Liberty.
(b) Sears Tower.
(c) Eiffel Tower.
(d) Empire State Building.
5. What is stronger than gravity?
6. How many days is a man's cycle?
(a) 23 days.
(b) 31 days.
(c) 12 days.
(d) 28 days.
7. What did the doctor invent?
(a) Poisson's Formula.
(b) Slide rule.
(c) The rat's maze.
(d) Biorhythmic analysis.
8. Many people are numerate despite lack of:
(b) Private instruction.
9. Which doctor was the inventor's good friend?
10. Teaching which skill is helpful?
(a) Rounding numbers.
(b) Fraction conversion.
11. Which doctor is referenced in this chapter?
12. What is often caused by childhood trauma?
(a) Educational blocks.
(c) Math anxiety.
13. Paulos believes that technological advances encourage:
14. What is Paulos' favorite pseudoscience?
15. Paulos believes that elementary schools lack ______ in their curriculum?
(c) Informal logic.
(d) Follow through.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous doctor does Paulos consider to be an innumerate?
2. Which skill is used daily?
3. Which is not mentioned as being a way to teach children?
4. When does this occur?
5. Which is the false adage pointed out by Paulos?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)