|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When a student reaches college it is impossible to take the time to teach ________.
(a) Basic algorithms.
2. Paulos states that some people believe _______.
(a) No one cares how to calculate tax.
(b) 1 and 1 do not equal 2.
(c) Calculators rule the world.
(d) Math is incomprehensible.
3. What is often used to explain non-science?
(b) False reports.
(c) Double talk.
(d) Useless statistics.
4. Paulos was encouraged to learn math because ____.
(a) Childhood trauma.
(b) Couldn't tell time.
(c) Wanted to learn about money.
(d) Father was a math teacher.
5. Innumeracy is ________.
(c) A myth.
6. Which of the following is rationalized?
(a) Uncertain results.
(b) Failure of predictions.
(c) Truth in predictions.
(d) False evidence.
7. Which president is mentioned in the beginning of this chapter?
8. Teaching which skill is helpful?
(b) Fraction conversion.
(c) Rounding numbers.
9. What did the doctor invent?
(a) Slide rule.
(b) Poisson's Formula.
(c) The rat's maze.
(d) Biorhythmic analysis.
10. A correct answer is _______.
(a) A correct answer.
11. Math is ________.
12. Paulos likes to debunk which of the following?
(a) Abstract thinking.
13. Which capital city is mentioned?
(c) Washington, D.C.
14. Which book in the Bible is quoted by Paulos?
(b) 1 John.
(d) Gospel of Matthew.
15. What is not mentioned as something being estimated?
(d) Mortgage payment.
Short Answer Questions
1. The situation for mathematically uneducated high school students is:
2. According to Paulos, math has many ________.
3. Deciding how to buy which item might help children learn?
4. What piece of office equipment is mentioned?
5. What is not a reason for innumeracy?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)