|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is actually the professional conversationalist?
2. In preparation for the woman's arrival with his delivery in Chapter 2, Ken has thrown out which item?
3. Up to Chapter 10, what activity has the medical attache been doing?
4. In Chapter 2, what is Ken waiting for a woman to deliver?
5. What kind of relationship did James Incandenza have with his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joelle try to overdose at Molly's party?
2. Who is Joelle Van Dyne?
3. What events led to Orin's football career?
4. What kind of relationship did James seem to have with his sons?
5. Is James similar to his father?
6. What significant event happens in Chapter 5, Year of the Depend Adult Undergarment?
7. Why is Orin being followed?
8. Why do many of the Enfield students use drugs?
9. Who is Kate Gompert?
10. What kind of relationship do Mario and Hal have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hal begins to have a recurring dream about losing his teeth. Choose one of the following prompts about the dream to write about:
(a) How does this dream build tension?
(b) How does it provide insight into Hal's character?
(c) How does the dream serve to foreshadow future events?
Essay Topic 2
How does Wallace create a dramatic opening sequence in the beginning of Infinite Jest? What is the purpose of opening so dramatically?
Essay Topic 3
How does Mario show that he is worried about Hal? Is he right to be worried? Why does Mario ask Avril about sadness?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)