|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joelle always wear?
2. Where is Orin in Chapter 13?
3. What drug do Hal and his friends plan to take before their next upcoming tennis match?
4. What is Orin's occupation?
5. What is the name of the student at Enfield Tennis Academy who is ill, and has vague and vibrant dreams?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Millicent Kent play in Mario's life?
2. Who is Orin Incandenza?
3. Who is Joelle Van Dyne?
4. What does Mario want to Hal to tell him about sadness?
5. What kind of relationship do Hal, Orin and Mario have with Avril?
6. How do the deans react to Hal's communication skills?
7. What kind of relationship did James seem to have with his sons?
8. Why does the separatist group want the Entertainment?
9. What are the results of watching the Entertainment?
10. Who is Ken Erdedy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Of the Incandenza brothers, which is the most emotionally and psychologically stable? Why do you believe this is so?
Essay Topic 2
Assess the overall tone of Infinite Jest. Is it positive or negative? Is it melancholy or uplifting? Is it reflective? Use three tones to describe Infinite Jest.
Essay Topic 3
How does Wallace create a dramatic opening sequence in the beginning of Infinite Jest? What is the purpose of opening so dramatically?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)