|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter Thirteen why is it supposed that Burton comes to visit the MacDonalds?
2. As William continues his search for Ben in Chapter Nine, which of the following animals does he NOT worry may have attacked the boy?
3. When the badger returns to the den in Chapter Eight, what animal does she bring for Ben to eat?
4. What animal do Ben and the badger fight and kill at the end of Chapter Ten?
5. As John continues his search southwest of the farm in Chapter Eleven, what article of clothing does he find belonging to his brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ben afraid of the badger when she returns to her den and finds him there?
2. What explains the badger's behavior in feeding Ben during Chapter Ten?
3. What are William's thoughts when Ben asks if the badger will live?
4. Why does John decide to use his prized rifle to mark the spot where he found Ben's shoe, as the rifle will certainly be ruined?
5. Why does the author make a point of saying that Ben cries for his father at the end of Chapter Eight?
6. Describe how Ben gets clean after his first night in the badger den.
7. Describe the condition of the MacDonalds in the weeks after Ben's disappearance.
8. Why does Ben not recognize his brother when John first attempts contact with him in Chapter Eleven?
9. Why does Ben go to such lengths to hide Lobo's body after the badger kills him?
10. Why do both William and Ben believe they are responsible for William hitting Ben during the badger skinning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eckert includes some imagery--such as the deaths of animals--that may strike the reader as gruesome and unnecessary. Are these details unnecessary? Or are they essential to the story? What message does the author intend to convey with these descriptions? Is the author heartless? Or is he merely trying to present an accurate picture of nature?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between William and Esther MacDonald. Do the two have a believable relationship? What are the major sources of conflict between the two of them, if any? Use supporting details from the book to support your paper.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of George Burton and Ben MacDonald. Are they good versus evil? Or something else? In what ways are their motivations alike and different? Do they have anything in common at all?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)