|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ben initially try to take shelter from the coming storm after he gets lost?
2. When Ben awakens from his difficult night in Chapter Eight, what is the weather like?
3. What does William tell his son about the badger's chances to live?
4. What issue do the MacDonalds face at the end of Chapter Twelve?
5. After the fight between Burton and the MacDonalds, William tells Burton to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Ben been unresponsive to his family until he is taken into the house after his rescue?
2. In Chapter Eight, does the badger intend to bring the prairie chicken for Ben or does he essentially steal it from her?
3. What explains the badger's behavior in feeding Ben during Chapter Ten?
4. Esther is concerned about her son all morning in Chapter Nine, and yet she does not go look for him. Why?
5. Describe the condition of the MacDonalds in the weeks after Ben's disappearance.
6. Describe William's orders to Burton after the fight.
7. Why do both William and Ben believe they are responsible for William hitting Ben during the badger skinning?
8. Describe the process by which Ben cleans the badger's injured paw.
9. Describe Ben's appearance when John finds him and returns home.
10. Describe the fight between Burton and William.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on his treatment of each group in the novel, does the author prefer humans or animals? What evidence supports your theory? Which group does the author spend more time describing, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Can the novel be accurately described as a coming-of-age story? Why or why not? What characteristics of that genre apply? Are there characteristics that do not apply? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Readers can, to an extent, determine the strength of Ben's relationships with those around him by examining the extent to which Ben speaks with them. To which characters is Ben closest? Which characters does he not have much of a relationship with? Analyze Ben's relationship with each of his family members using his communication as evidence of his feelings.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)