|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the problem with the first site the badger examined in Chapter Two?
2. At the beginning of Chapter Two, how old is the female badger?
3. How does the author say Esther MacDonald reacts to the journey in the prologue?
4. With which of Ben's siblings does he NOT have a good relationship?
5. What noise does the female badger NOT make while digging?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the female badger did not run after her meeting with Ben.
2. Describe the growth of the MacDonald farm in the early years of the settlement.
3. Describe the badger's appearance at the opening of Chapter Two.
4. What occurrence leads the MacDonalds to name the site for the new farm?
5. What reasons does William give Esther for why he agreed to let Burton run traps on their land?
6. Describe Mr. Burton's appearance as discussed in Chapter One.
7. Why was the male badger unable to detect the danger of the trap?
8. What happened to the badger's last litter?
9. According to the townspeople of Winnipeg, why does Burton take his dog, Lobo, with him wherever he goes?
10. Describe Ben's behavior when the family goes inside to dinner and he is left alone with the dead badger's body.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is William a believable pioneer father? At different points in the novel he is concerned about his lack of relationship with Ben. Is this realistic? Given the era, how much of a role is William expected to play in raising the children?
Essay Topic 2
Ben communicates with humans and with animals, but does not completely communicate with either group. Compare and contrast Ben's communication methods between these groups and explain why he cannot communicate completely with either.
Essay Topic 3
Does the author present a realistic view of pioneer life, or is his version idealized to the point of being unbelievable? Include research to support your claim.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)