|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the neighbor leaves, how does Esther MacDonald say she feels about the man?
2. Why is Esther so angry with her husband over his attitude toward Ben?
3. How does the female badger free herself from the trap?
4. How does Esther react when Ben refuses to come inside for dinner after Burton shows them the dead male badger?
5. What noise does the female badger NOT make while digging?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the difference between William and Esther's opinions of Ben's development in Chapter Two.
2. Why does William think Ben isn't normal, as stated in Chapter One?
3. Why does Burton wish to trap on the MacDonald's land?
4. During dinner in Chapter Five, who does Burton tell John carries badger fangs?
5. Why was the male badger unable to detect the danger of the trap?
6. Explain why the female badger did not run after her meeting with Ben.
7. Describe how the female badger hunts prairie dogs, and what problem she might encounter in the process.
8. Why is Ben so happy at dinner at the end of Chapter Three?
9. Describe Mr. Burton's appearance as discussed in Chapter One.
10. As the prologue ends, what does the author say is the MacDonald family's greatest problem and why is that problem strange?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on his treatment of each group in the novel, does the author prefer humans or animals? What evidence supports your theory? Which group does the author spend more time describing, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Are Eckert's animals lifelike and believable? Or are they too anthropomorphic to be real? Pick three animals from the story (aside from the badger) and discuss how realistic the animals seem.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of George Burton and Ben MacDonald. Are they good versus evil? Or something else? In what ways are their motivations alike and different? Do they have anything in common at all?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)