|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ben initially react when Esther tries to take him from John after he is found?
(a) He begins to cry.
(b) He grabs for his mother.
(c) He wrestles free and runs to hide.
(d) He clings tightly to John.
2. With what prized possession does John mark the spot where he finds Ben's missing article of clothing?
(b) Walking stick.
3. Why does Esther not initially go to look for her son when she realizes she hasn't seen him for awhile?
(a) She is trying not to smother him.
(b) She doesn't want to interrupt if he's spending time with William.
(c) She is too busy with housework.
(d) She knows Ben is upset with her.
4. How does Ben respond when William offers to help him bury the badger?
(b) Doesn't respond.
(c) Starts screaming.
5. How long does the search party look for Ben before giving up the search in Chapter Nine?
(a) Six hours.
(b) Two days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Four days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ben initially try to take shelter from the coming storm after he gets lost?
2. To what conclusion do the doctor and pastor come as the MacDonalds tell them Ben's story?
3. How long has Ben been walking when he realizes he may be traveling in the wrong direction?
4. When the badger returns to the den in Chapter Eight, what animal does she bring for Ben to eat?
5. For which of the following does Ben NOT cry at the end of Chapter Eight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Ben gets clean after his first night in the badger den.
2. Why does the badger follow John's horse when he rides for home with Ben?
3. Describe the fight between Burton and William.
4. Why is William initially unconcerned about Ben's location in Chapter Nine?
5. Why does John decide to use his prized rifle to mark the spot where he found Ben's shoe, as the rifle will certainly be ruined?
6. Why does the search team from North Corners not turn up any sign of Ben in the two days they spend looking?
7. Why does Ben retreat to the burrow and hide when he sees Burton and Lobo riding nearby?
8. Esther is concerned about her son all morning in Chapter Nine, and yet she does not go look for him. Why?
9. Why do both William and Ben believe they are responsible for William hitting Ben during the badger skinning?
10. Why does the MacDonald family allow the badger to move in with them?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)