|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has Ben been walking when he realizes he may be traveling in the wrong direction?
(a) Ten minutes.
(b) One hour.
(c) Half an hour.
(d) Five hours.
2. For how long after his return does Ben alternate between being human and being badger?
(a) Six months.
(b) Five weeks.
(c) One week.
(d) Twelve days.
3. When Burton's gun goes off while William is trying to wrestle it away, where is William hit?
4. As daylight breaks in Chapter Ten, the badger brings Ben what to eat?
(b) Prairie dog.
5. Where does Ben plan to bury the badger?
(a) Behind the barn.
(b) In the burrow.
(c) By the river.
(d) Under the porch.
Short Answer Questions
1. As William continues his search for Ben in Chapter Nine, which of the following animals does he NOT worry may have attacked the boy?
2. What animal is Ben following when he initially wanders off during Chapter Seven?
3. How long does it take the badger to stop growling at the MacDonald family after Ben's rescue?
4. Where does Ben initially try to take shelter from the coming storm after he gets lost?
5. How does Ben react when the badger returns at the beginning of Chapter Eight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author make a point of saying that Ben cries for his father at the end of Chapter Eight?
2. Describe the fight between Burton and William.
3. In Chapter Eight, does the badger intend to bring the prairie chicken for Ben or does he essentially steal it from her?
4. What are William's thoughts when Ben asks if the badger will live?
5. Why does Ben retreat to the burrow and hide when he sees Burton and Lobo riding nearby?
6. Describe how Ben gets clean after his first night in the badger den.
7. Why does the badger follow John's horse when he rides for home with Ben?
8. What explains the badger's behavior in feeding Ben during Chapter Ten?
9. Describe the change in the MacDonald family's behavior toward Ben after the incident with Burton's badger, and Ben's response to the change.
10. Esther is concerned about her son all morning in Chapter Nine, and yet she does not go look for him. Why?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)