|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Esther not initially go to look for her son when she realizes she hasn't seen him for awhile?
(a) She doesn't want to interrupt if he's spending time with William.
(b) She is trying not to smother him.
(c) She is too busy with housework.
(d) She knows Ben is upset with her.
2. How does Ben initially react when Esther tries to take him from John after he is found?
(a) He grabs for his mother.
(b) He wrestles free and runs to hide.
(c) He clings tightly to John.
(d) He begins to cry.
3. With what prized possession does John mark the spot where he finds Ben's missing article of clothing?
(d) Walking stick.
4. Which of the following animals does Ben NOT observe while wandering away from the house in Chapter Seven?
5. What is William's response to the search party giving up in Chapter Nine?
(a) His family will not give up.
(b) He agrees that it is probably hopeless.
(c) He calls his neighbors traitors.
(d) He is angry with the neighbors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has been different about the MacDonald family since the evening Burton brought the dead badger over?
2. After the relationship between Ben and the badger begins to grow, how long does he spend most of his time underground?
3. Where is the badger sleeping when Burton arrives at the MacDonald farm in Chapter Thirteen?
4. Why does Ben initially decide not to head for home in Chapter Seven?
5. What hiding place does Ben stumble into during the storm in Chapter Seven?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author make a point of saying that Ben cries for his father at the end of Chapter Eight?
2. What are William's thoughts when Ben asks if the badger will live?
3. Why do both William and Ben believe they are responsible for William hitting Ben during the badger skinning?
4. Why does John decide to use his prized rifle to mark the spot where he found Ben's shoe, as the rifle will certainly be ruined?
5. Why does Ben retreat to the burrow and hide when he sees Burton and Lobo riding nearby?
6. Esther is concerned about her son all morning in Chapter Nine, and yet she does not go look for him. Why?
7. Why does the MacDonald family allow the badger to move in with them?
8. Why does the search team finally call off their search for Ben after two days?
9. Why does the badger follow John's horse when he rides for home with Ben?
10. Describe the fight between Burton and William.
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)