|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did William first meet the neighbor?
(a) Last month.
(b) He hasn't met him.
(c) Three weeks ago.
(d) Last week.
2. From what country was the man who originally built Fort Rouge near Winnipeg?
3. What reason does Burton give for Lobo's respect of badgers?
(a) He fought one when he was a pup.
(b) He doesn't like the way they smell.
(c) He knows they're bigger than he is.
(d) He thinks they're good hunters.
4. What was the problem with the first site the badger examined in Chapter Two?
(a) Food supply.
(c) Water supply.
5. From which city did the MacDonalds set out when traveling to Winnipeg looking for a site to farm?
Short Answer Questions
1. What scent does the female badger encounter and ignore that her mate later smells during Chapter Four?
2. Why does Burton move his trap after the male badger is killed?
3. In Chapter Three, how is the relationship between William and Esther?
4. What effect does hearing the dying cries of the pups have on the badger while she is stuck in the trap?
5. Which of the following does Burton NOT mention as a use for badger pelts in Chapter Five?
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurrence leads the MacDonalds to name the site for the new farm?
2. What reasons does William give Esther for why he agreed to let Burton run traps on their land?
3. How do the townspeople of Winnipeg react to the stories of Ben's relationship with animals?
4. One of the pups is still alive when the female badger finally escapes the trap and returns to her den. Why does the last pup die?
5. Why is Ben so happy at dinner at the end of Chapter Three?
6. Describe Ben's behavior when the family goes inside to dinner and he is left alone with the dead badger's body.
7. What happened to the badger's last litter?
8. During dinner in Chapter Five, who does Burton tell John carries badger fangs?
9. Describe how the female badger escapes from the trap in Chapter Six.
10. Explain the development of the baby badgers as described in Chapter Four.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)