|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The neighbor is surprised to learn that Ben is six years old, because Ben looks as though he ought to be how old?
(a) Eight or nine.
(b) Eleven or twelve.
(c) One or two.
(d) Three or four.
2. The MacDonalds have an argument after their new neighbor leaves in Chapter One. About what are they arguing?
(a) The farm.
(c) The neighbor.
3. The North West Company's original fort is seized and destroyed by the Hudson Bay Company; what is the name of the fort that replaces this original fort?
(a) Fort Kearney.
(b) Fort Riley.
(c) Fort Garry.
(d) Fort Leonard.
4. While the female badger is digging, what other animal catches her attention for a few minutes?
(b) Prairie dog.
5. How does the animal Ben encounters in Chapter Three respond when he tries to feed it?
(a) The animals runs from him.
(b) The animal accepts the food.
(c) The animal ignores him.
(d) The animal attacks him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following fates did NOT befall the female badger's previous litter?
2. As Chapter One opens, what animal is Ben MacDonald following?
3. Where does the female badger take shelter after collapsing in her den?
4. As Chapter Five opens, Burton arrives at the MacDonald farm just in time for what?
5. What reputation does the neighbor have with the townspeople of Winnipeg?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the female badger hunts prairie dogs, and what problem she might encounter in the process.
2. Describe how the female badger escapes from the trap in Chapter Six.
3. During dinner in Chapter Five, who does Burton tell John carries badger fangs?
4. Describe Mr. Burton's appearance as discussed in Chapter One.
5. One of the pups is still alive when the female badger finally escapes the trap and returns to her den. Why does the last pup die?
6. How do the townspeople of Winnipeg react to the stories of Ben's relationship with animals?
7. As the book opens, how does the author describe William MacDonald?
8. In the prologue, how is Esther MacDonald described?
9. Explain why the female badger did not run after her meeting with Ben.
10. What reasons does the author give in Chapter Three for why Ben wishes to become a bird?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)