|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Esther react when Ben refuses to come inside for dinner after Burton shows them the dead male badger?
(a) She forces him in the house.
(b) She tells him she'll put a plate aside for him.
(c) She gets angry with him.
(d) She yells and spanks him.
2. As far as the townspeople can tell, the new neighbor originally comes from where?
3. How do the MacDonald animals respond when they see Ben coming?
(a) They run away from him.
(b) They ignore him.
(c) They run to him.
(d) They do not move at all.
4. Why does the author say the real agony begins for the badger at dawn of the second morning?
(a) She knows she is going to die.
(b) She realizes that her mate is dead.
(c) She can hear her pups crying for food.
(d) She has to hunt with her injuries.
5. At the end of Chapter One, what animal is Ben following?
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1806, the North West Company builds on top of what had been Fort Rouge. What is the name of the new fort?
2. At the beginning of Chapter Four, how old are the badger's babies?
3. How does the MacDonald family react to seeing the badger Burton caught?
4. What purpose does the badger's second tunnel serve as she completes her digging project?
5. Why is Esther so angry with her husband over his attitude toward Ben?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the den the badger creates for herself and her litter.
2. Describe the growth of the MacDonald farm in the early years of the settlement.
3. As the book opens, how does the author describe William MacDonald?
4. Explain the development of the baby badgers as described in Chapter Four.
5. Describe Ben's behavior when the family goes inside to dinner and he is left alone with the dead badger's body.
6. Describe how the female badger hunts prairie dogs, and what problem she might encounter in the process.
7. What happened to the badger's last litter?
8. What does Esther suggest in Chapter One as the real reason Ben acts as though he is afraid of his father?
9. What reasons does William give Esther for why he agreed to let Burton run traps on their land?
10. How do the townspeople of Winnipeg react to the stories of Ben's relationship with animals?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)