Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the author say Esther MacDonald reacts to the journey in the prologue?
(a) She is very frightened.
(b) She cries most of the time.
(c) She shows no fear.
(d) She spends the trip mad at her husband.
2. While examining his find in Chapter Three, Ben finds himself face to face with what animal?
3. How does Esther ask Ben to respond to the new neighbor?
(a) Shake hands.
(b) Offer a gift.
(c) Run and hide.
(d) Be quiet.
4. How long does the male badger struggle in the trap before Burton finds him?
(a) Two hours.
(b) Three days.
(c) Two days.
(d) One day.
5. How does the animal Ben encounters in Chapter Three respond when he tries to feed it?
(a) The animal ignores him.
(b) The animal accepts the food.
(c) The animal attacks him.
(d) The animals runs from him.
Short Answer Questions
1. While the female badger is digging, what other animal catches her attention for a few minutes?
2. The female badger has a scar on her right ear as a result of fighting what animal?
3. At the end of Chapter Three, William comments on what behavior from Ben?
4. What does Ben notice when he examines the badger's body that assures him it's not the badger he met?
5. What noise does the author say Ben makes in Chapter Three that seems to soothe any animal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe why the MacDonald family finally accepts Ben's story as complete truth.
2. Describe Ben's behavior when the family goes inside to dinner and he is left alone with the dead badger's body.
3. Why does Ben retreat to the burrow and hide when he sees Burton and Lobo riding nearby?
4. Describe how the female badger hunts prairie dogs, and what problem she might encounter in the process.
5. What reasons does the author give in Chapter Three for why Ben wishes to become a bird?
6. Why was the male badger unable to detect the danger of the trap?
7. How do the townspeople of Winnipeg react to the stories of Ben's relationship with animals?
8. Describe the fight between Burton and William.
9. What are William's thoughts when Ben asks if the badger will live?
10. Describe the growth of the MacDonald farm in the early years of the settlement.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)