|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Burton say he can make off the male badger's pelt?
(a) Eighteen or twenty dollars.
(b) Five or six dollars.
(c) Thirty or forty dollars.
(d) Twelve or fifteen dollars.
2. Normally the badger is a nocturnal animal. Why was she out during the day she encountered Ben?
(a) She is unable to sleep because her babies are too loud.
(b) She needs a great deal of food to produce milk.
(c) She smells Ben and is curious to find out what he is.
(d) She knows a storm is coming and needs to hunt early.
3. What reason does Burton give for Lobo's respect of badgers?
(a) He doesn't like the way they smell.
(b) He fought one when he was a pup.
(c) He knows they're bigger than he is.
(d) He thinks they're good hunters.
4. Why does the neighbor say the dog's reaction to Ben is unusual?
(a) The dog is usually friendly to strangers.
(b) The dog only lets his owner close to him.
(c) The dog doesn't usually obey verbal commands.
(d) The dog doesn't normally care about kids.
5. What is the name of the new neighbor Ben's father wants him to meet?
(a) Mr. Burton.
(b) Mr. McCray.
(c) Mr. Lobo.
(d) Mr. Hill.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter One, what animal is Ben following?
2. What was the problem with the first site the badger examined in Chapter Two?
3. After the initial digging, the badger moves away and begins to dig again at what distance from the first site?
4. At the beginning of Chapter Four, how old are the badger's babies?
5. In Chapter Four, how much longer will it be before the baby badgers are ready to try solid food?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does William hit Ben when Ben tries to stop him from skinning the badger?
2. In Chapter Thirteen, why is Burton coming to visit the MacDonalds?
3. Why does Ben retreat to the burrow and hide when he sees Burton and Lobo riding nearby?
4. Why does the badger follow John's horse when he rides for home with Ben?
5. Describe Mr. Burton's appearance as discussed in Chapter One.
6. What explains the badger's behavior in feeding Ben during Chapter Ten?
7. How do the townspeople of Winnipeg react to the stories of Ben's relationship with animals?
8. What reasons does the author give in Chapter Three for why Ben wishes to become a bird?
9. Describe why the MacDonald family finally accepts Ben's story as complete truth.
10. Why is Ben afraid of the badger when she returns to her den and finds him there?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)