|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the neighbor's dog?
2. Why does the badger decide not to go out and hunt at the end of Chapter Six?
(a) She is afraid of predators.
(b) She is exhausted.
(c) She isn't hungry.
(d) She is afraid of finding another trap.
3. Instead of resting after the digging project is completed, the female badger begins to do what?
(b) Look for her mate.
(d) Gather grasses.
4. How do the MacDonald animals respond when they see Ben coming?
(a) They do not move at all.
(b) They run away from him.
(c) They run to him.
(d) They ignore him.
5. While the female badger is digging, what other animal catches her attention for a few minutes?
(a) Prairie dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. From how far away can a male badger detect a female's scent?
2. Where does the female badger frequently hunt while her babies are nursing?
3. The MacDonalds have an argument after their new neighbor leaves in Chapter One. About what are they arguing?
4. At the beginning of Chapter Two, how old is the female badger?
5. Normally the badger is a nocturnal animal. Why was she out during the day she encountered Ben?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does William give Esther for why he agreed to let Burton run traps on their land?
2. Describe the difference between William and Esther's opinions of Ben's development in Chapter Two.
3. Describe the process by which the female badger keeps her den clean and the purpose of her behavior.
4. Describe the growth of the MacDonald farm in the early years of the settlement.
5. Why is Ben so happy at dinner at the end of Chapter Three?
6. As the prologue ends, what does the author say is the MacDonald family's greatest problem and why is that problem strange?
7. Describe how the female badger hunts prairie dogs, and what problem she might encounter in the process.
8. Why does William think Ben isn't normal, as stated in Chapter One?
9. How do the townspeople of Winnipeg react to the stories of Ben's relationship with animals?
10. Describe how the female badger escapes from the trap in Chapter Six.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)