|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect does hearing the dying cries of the pups have on the badger while she is stuck in the trap?
(a) It gives her another burst of energy.
(b) It makes her give up.
(c) It convinces her to leave the area.
(d) It has no effect.
2. While the female badger is digging, what other animal catches her attention for a few minutes?
(d) Prairie dog.
3. In Chapter Five, Burton mentions that badgers are better fighters than all but which animal?
4. What kind of bird inspired the MacDonalds to name their farm site Hawk's Hill?
(a) Peregrine hawk.
(b) Red-tailed hawk.
(c) Buzzard hawk.
(d) Coopers hawk.
5. From what country was the man who originally built Fort Rouge near Winnipeg?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter Four, how old are the badger's babies?
2. How does Ben react when the neighbor's dog charges him?
3. How does William MacDonald feel about the new neighbor?
4. In what year does the prologue say this story takes place?
5. What reaction do the neighbors say Ben's siblings have when they attempt to discuss Ben with them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the hawk not frighten the badger while she searches for a site for her den?
2. Esther is concerned about her son all morning in Chapter Nine, and yet she does not go look for him. Why?
3. One of the pups is still alive when the female badger finally escapes the trap and returns to her den. Why does the last pup die?
4. Describe how Ben gets clean after his first night in the badger den.
5. Describe the badger's appearance at the opening of Chapter Two.
6. Describe how the female badger escapes from the trap in Chapter Six.
7. Why does Burton wish to trap on the MacDonald's land?
8. Why is the female badger luckier in her experience with the trap than her mate?
9. Describe Ben's appearance when John finds him and returns home.
10. Describe the difference between William and Esther's opinions of Ben's development in Chapter Two.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)