|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of bird inspired the MacDonalds to name their farm site Hawk's Hill?
(a) Coopers hawk.
(b) Red-tailed hawk.
(c) Buzzard hawk.
(d) Peregrine hawk.
2. What does Ben notice when he examines the badger's body that assures him it's not the badger he met?
(a) He realizes it's a male badger.
(b) The badger is too big.
(c) He notices that the fur color is wrong.
(d) The badger doesn't have a torn ear.
3. Why does the author say the real agony begins for the badger at dawn of the second morning?
(a) She knows she is going to die.
(b) She can hear her pups crying for food.
(c) She has to hunt with her injuries.
(d) She realizes that her mate is dead.
4. Why is Esther so angry with her husband over his attitude toward Ben?
(a) She thinks William pampers Ben too much.
(b) She doesn't like the way William disciplines Ben.
(c) She doesn't think William tries to understand Ben.
(d) She thinks William hates Ben.
5. How did the MacDonalds originally plan to chose the site for their farm?
(a) They wanted to be close to family.
(b) A friend had already bought it for them.
(c) They picked it from a catalogue.
(d) They would know it when they found it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Burton say he can make off the male badger's pelt?
2. By dawn of the second morning caught in the trap, what has the female badger accomplished?
3. How does the MacDonald family react to seeing the badger Burton caught?
4. In what year does the prologue say this story takes place?
5. At the end of Chapter One, what animal is Ben following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does William hit Ben when Ben tries to stop him from skinning the badger?
2. During dinner in Chapter Five, who does Burton tell John carries badger fangs?
3. According to the townspeople of Winnipeg, why does Burton take his dog, Lobo, with him wherever he goes?
4. Explain the development of the baby badgers as described in Chapter Four.
5. Describe the process by which the female badger keeps her den clean and the purpose of her behavior.
6. Describe Mr. Burton's appearance as discussed in Chapter One.
7. Why does William think Ben isn't normal, as stated in Chapter One?
8. Describe how the female badger escapes from the trap in Chapter Six.
9. In Chapter Five, Burton tells a story of a fight Lobo had when he was a puppy. Describe the fight.
10. Describe the badger's appearance at the opening of Chapter Two.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)