|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ben notice when he examines the badger's body that assures him it's not the badger he met?
(a) He notices that the fur color is wrong.
(b) He realizes it's a male badger.
(c) The badger doesn't have a torn ear.
(d) The badger is too big.
2. How long ago did the MacDonalds come to the region to settle their farm?
(a) Two years.
(b) Fifty years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) Five years.
3. As Chapter Three opens, what has prompted the string of visitors to the MacDonald farm?
(a) They are completing seasonal visits.
(b) They wish to see Ben.
(c) They need advice from William.
(d) They want to know about the new neighbor.
4. The MacDonalds have an argument after their new neighbor leaves in Chapter One. About what are they arguing?
(c) The farm.
(d) The neighbor.
5. In what year does the prologue say this story takes place?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following fates did NOT befall the female badger's previous litter?
2. How does Ben react when the neighbor's dog charges him?
3. How does the author say Esther MacDonald reacts to the journey in the prologue?
4. How does Esther react when Ben refuses to come inside for dinner after Burton shows them the dead male badger?
5. The neighbor is surprised to learn that Ben is six years old, because Ben looks as though he ought to be how old?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does William give Esther for why he agreed to let Burton run traps on their land?
2. In the prologue, how is Esther MacDonald described?
3. How do the townspeople of Winnipeg react to the stories of Ben's relationship with animals?
4. What occurrence leads the MacDonalds to name the site for the new farm?
5. According to the townspeople of Winnipeg, why does Burton take his dog, Lobo, with him wherever he goes?
6. Describe how the female badger hunts prairie dogs, and what problem she might encounter in the process.
7. Describe Ben's behavior when the family goes inside to dinner and he is left alone with the dead badger's body.
8. Describe the den the badger creates for herself and her litter.
9. Describe the process by which the female badger keeps her den clean and the purpose of her behavior.
10. What does Esther suggest in Chapter One as the real reason Ben acts as though he is afraid of his father?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)