|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the MacDonald animals respond when they see Ben coming?
(a) They run away from him.
(b) They ignore him.
(c) They do not move at all.
(d) They run to him.
2. The female badger has a scar on her right ear as a result of fighting what animal?
3. Why does the badger decide not to go out and hunt at the end of Chapter Six?
(a) She is afraid of predators.
(b) She isn't hungry.
(c) She is afraid of finding another trap.
(d) She is exhausted.
4. How far away from the female's den has Burton laid the trap intended to catch her?
(a) Twelve feet.
(b) Sixty feet.
(c) One mile.
(d) Two yards.
5. Instead of resting after the digging project is completed, the female badger begins to do what?
(b) Look for her mate.
(d) Gather grasses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What noise does the author say Ben makes in Chapter Three that seems to soothe any animal?
2. In Chapter Four, how much longer will it be before the baby badgers are ready to try solid food?
3. How much of the female badger's body gets caught in Burton's trap in Chapter Six?
4. Why does Burton decide not to shoot the male badger?
5. For what reason is Ben eager to start school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the hawk not frighten the badger while she searches for a site for her den?
2. Describe the growth of the MacDonald farm in the early years of the settlement.
3. Describe Ben's behavior when the family goes inside to dinner and he is left alone with the dead badger's body.
4. Why does Burton wish to trap on the MacDonald's land?
5. Explain the development of the baby badgers as described in Chapter Four.
6. Explain why the female badger did not run after her meeting with Ben.
7. Describe the way in which William and Esther MacDonald planned to find the site for their farm.
8. What reasons does William give Esther for why he agreed to let Burton run traps on their land?
9. What does Esther suggest in Chapter One as the real reason Ben acts as though he is afraid of his father?
10. According to the townspeople of Winnipeg, why does Burton take his dog, Lobo, with him wherever he goes?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)