|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does William MacDonald feel about the new neighbor?
(a) He wants to be friends with the man.
(b) He's not fond of the man.
(c) He thinks the man is annoying.
(d) He hopes the man will stay awhile.
2. What does Ben notice when he examines the badger's body that assures him it's not the badger he met?
(a) The badger doesn't have a torn ear.
(b) He realizes it's a male badger.
(c) He notices that the fur color is wrong.
(d) The badger is too big.
3. What reaction do the neighbors say Ben's siblings have when they attempt to discuss Ben with them?
(a) They are uncomfortable and don't want to talk about him.
(b) They admit Ben is odd and laugh.
(c) They avoid the neighbors in the first place.
(d) They shrug and say they don't know what's wrong with him.
4. When did William first meet the neighbor?
(a) He hasn't met him.
(b) Last week.
(c) Last month.
(d) Three weeks ago.
5. What is the name of the neighbor's dog?
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect does hearing the dying cries of the pups have on the badger while she is stuck in the trap?
2. What reason does Burton give for Lobo's respect of badgers?
3. Which Native American tribe used to inhabit the lands that make up the MacDonald farm?
4. In Chapter Three, how does the hawk react when Ben tries to watch it eat?
5. How does Ben react when the neighbor's dog charges him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does William give Esther for why he agreed to let Burton run traps on their land?
2. During dinner in Chapter Five, who does Burton tell John carries badger fangs?
3. Describe the difference between William and Esther's opinions of Ben's development in Chapter Two.
4. Why is Ben so happy at dinner at the end of Chapter Three?
5. How do the townspeople of Winnipeg react to the stories of Ben's relationship with animals?
6. As the prologue ends, what does the author say is the MacDonald family's greatest problem and why is that problem strange?
7. What does Esther suggest in Chapter One as the real reason Ben acts as though he is afraid of his father?
8. As the book opens, how does the author describe William MacDonald?
9. Describe the way in which William and Esther MacDonald planned to find the site for their farm.
10. What reasons does the author give in Chapter Three for why Ben wishes to become a bird?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)