|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Chapter One opens, what animal is Ben MacDonald following?
2. Why does Burton move his trap after the male badger is killed?
(a) The badger has left too much scent in the area.
(b) He doubts there is anything else to trap in the area.
(c) He has thought of a better place to put the trap.
(d) He needs to clean the trap.
3. The Hudson Bay Company builds a second fort close to the North West Company fort. What is the name of the second fort?
(a) Fort Kearney.
(b) Fort Riley.
(c) Fort Gibraltar.
(d) Fort Douglas.
4. Which Native American tribe used to inhabit the lands that make up the MacDonald farm?
(b) Dakota Sioux.
5. Why does the badger decide not to go out and hunt at the end of Chapter Six?
(a) She is afraid of finding another trap.
(b) She is exhausted.
(c) She is afraid of predators.
(d) She isn't hungry.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1806, the North West Company builds on top of what had been Fort Rouge. What is the name of the new fort?
2. How does Esther ask Ben to respond to the new neighbor?
3. How does the female badger free herself from the trap?
4. How does the author say Esther MacDonald reacts to the journey in the prologue?
5. In Chapter Three, how does the hawk react when Ben tries to watch it eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the difference between William and Esther's opinions of Ben's development in Chapter Two.
2. During dinner in Chapter Five, who does Burton tell John carries badger fangs?
3. Why was the male badger unable to detect the danger of the trap?
4. Why is Ben so happy at dinner at the end of Chapter Three?
5. What occurrence leads the MacDonalds to name the site for the new farm?
6. Explain why the female badger did not run after her meeting with Ben.
7. What reasons does the author give in Chapter Three for why Ben wishes to become a bird?
8. As the prologue ends, what does the author say is the MacDonald family's greatest problem and why is that problem strange?
9. Describe the growth of the MacDonald farm in the early years of the settlement.
10. Why does Burton wish to trap on the MacDonald's land?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)