|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By dawn of the second morning caught in the trap, what has the female badger accomplished?
(a) She has chewed the trap free from the chain.
(b) She has completely freed herself from the trap.
(c) She has accomplished nothing.
(d) She has drug the trap forty feet closer to the den.
2. How does the MacDonald family react to seeing the badger Burton caught?
(a) They say nothing.
(b) They are disgusted.
(c) They are disinterested.
(d) They congratulate him.
3. In Chapter One, what is William's attitude toward Ben?
(a) William thinks Ben is disrespectful.
(b) William thinks Ben is perfectly average.
(c) William thinks Ben isn't normal.
(d) William thinks Ben is too big for his age.
4. How does the author say Esther MacDonald reacts to the journey in the prologue?
(a) She shows no fear.
(b) She cries most of the time.
(c) She is very frightened.
(d) She spends the trip mad at her husband.
5. As Chapter One opens, what animal is Ben MacDonald following?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter Six, how long does the female badger stay in the den with her pups after her last hunt?
2. At the beginning of Chapter Four, how old are the badger's babies?
3. What reputation does the neighbor have with the townspeople of Winnipeg?
4. What kind of bird inspired the MacDonalds to name their farm site Hawk's Hill?
5. While the female badger is digging, what other animal catches her attention for a few minutes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the female badger luckier in her experience with the trap than her mate?
2. Describe how the female badger escapes from the trap in Chapter Six.
3. Describe how the female badger hunts prairie dogs, and what problem she might encounter in the process.
4. According to the townspeople of Winnipeg, why does Burton take his dog, Lobo, with him wherever he goes?
5. What happened to the badger's last litter?
6. One of the pups is still alive when the female badger finally escapes the trap and returns to her den. Why does the last pup die?
7. Explain why the female badger did not run after her meeting with Ben.
8. In Chapter Five, Burton tells a story of a fight Lobo had when he was a puppy. Describe the fight.
9. Describe the badger's appearance at the opening of Chapter Two.
10. What does Esther suggest in Chapter One as the real reason Ben acts as though he is afraid of his father?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)