|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the prologue, the author states that William MacDonald is what ethnicity?
2. Why does Burton move his trap after the male badger is killed?
(a) He doubts there is anything else to trap in the area.
(b) He has thought of a better place to put the trap.
(c) The badger has left too much scent in the area.
(d) He needs to clean the trap.
3. How does William MacDonald feel about the new neighbor?
(a) He's not fond of the man.
(b) He thinks the man is annoying.
(c) He wants to be friends with the man.
(d) He hopes the man will stay awhile.
4. What favor does the new neighbor ask of William MacDonald?
(a) To hide out at MacDonald's house.
(b) To borrow MacDonald's horse.
(c) To trap on MacDonald's land.
(d) To buy MacDonald's crops.
5. At the beginning of Chapter Four, how old are the badger's babies?
(a) Sixty-four days.
(b) Twelve days.
(c) Forty-two days.
(d) Thirty-three days.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the neighbor leaves, how does Esther MacDonald say she feels about the man?
2. From what country was the man who originally built Fort Rouge near Winnipeg?
3. As Chapter One opens, what animal is Ben MacDonald following?
4. What is the name of the new neighbor Ben's father wants him to meet?
5. The Hudson Bay Company builds a second fort close to the North West Company fort. What is the name of the second fort?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is William initially unconcerned about Ben's location in Chapter Nine?
2. Why does the author make a point of saying that Ben cries for his father at the end of Chapter Eight?
3. Why does William think Ben isn't normal, as stated in Chapter One?
4. According to the townspeople of Winnipeg, why does Burton take his dog, Lobo, with him wherever he goes?
5. What explains the badger's behavior in feeding Ben during Chapter Ten?
6. Describe the way in which William and Esther MacDonald planned to find the site for their farm.
7. Why does the badger follow John's horse when he rides for home with Ben?
8. Describe Ben's appearance when John finds him and returns home.
9. What reasons does the author give in Chapter Three for why Ben wishes to become a bird?
10. Why does the hawk not frighten the badger while she searches for a site for her den?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)