|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author at the end of Chapter Two, a normal life span for a badger is how long?
(a) Twenty-five years.
(b) Fourteen years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Six years.
2. In Chapter Three, what animal does Ben most wish he could turn into?
3. After the neighbor leaves, how does Esther MacDonald say she feels about the man?
(a) She thinks he is dishonest.
(b) She is furious with him for asking for favors.
(c) He scares her.
(d) She likes him a lot.
4. In 1806, the North West Company builds on top of what had been Fort Rouge. What is the name of the new fort?
(a) Fort Riley.
(b) Fort Gibraltar.
(c) Fort Leonard.
(d) Fort Kearney.
5. What purpose does the badger's second tunnel serve as she completes her digging project?
(a) Main entrance.
(b) Predator confusion.
(c) Light source.
(d) Emergency escape.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following animals does the prologue NOT mention as present on the MacDonald farm?
2. How does Ben react when William begins to skin the male badger?
3. Lord Selkirk, who manages the Hudson Bay Company, brings in settlers from which country to farm the Winnipeg area?
4. In Chapter Three, how does the hawk react when Ben tries to watch it eat?
5. In Chapter One, what is William's attitude toward Ben?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Five, Burton tells a story of a fight Lobo had when he was a puppy. Describe the fight.
2. Why is Ben so happy at dinner at the end of Chapter Three?
3. Describe how the female badger hunts prairie dogs, and what problem she might encounter in the process.
4. As the prologue ends, what does the author say is the MacDonald family's greatest problem and why is that problem strange?
5. What reasons does the author give in Chapter Three for why Ben wishes to become a bird?
6. Describe how the female badger escapes from the trap in Chapter Six.
7. During dinner in Chapter Five, who does Burton tell John carries badger fangs?
8. According to the townspeople of Winnipeg, why does Burton take his dog, Lobo, with him wherever he goes?
9. Explain why the female badger did not run after her meeting with Ben.
10. What does Esther suggest in Chapter One as the real reason Ben acts as though he is afraid of his father?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)