|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Chapter Five opens, Burton arrives at the MacDonald farm just in time for what?
2. How far away from the female's den has Burton laid the trap intended to catch her?
(a) Twelve feet.
(b) One mile.
(c) Sixty feet.
(d) Two yards.
3. How long does the male badger struggle in the trap before Burton finds him?
(a) Three days.
(b) Two hours.
(c) One day.
(d) Two days.
4. Where is Burton while the female badger is struggling with the trap?
(a) At home asleep.
(b) At a saloon in Winnipeg.
(c) Checking his other traps.
(d) At the MacDonald farm.
5. At the beginning of Chapter Two, how old is the female badger?
Short Answer Questions
1. Normally the badger is a nocturnal animal. Why was she out during the day she encountered Ben?
2. At the end of Chapter One, what animal is Ben following?
3. While the female badger is digging, what other animal catches her attention for a few minutes?
4. What purpose does the badger's second tunnel serve as she completes her digging project?
5. In Chapter Three, what animal does Ben most wish he could turn into?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Five, Burton tells a story of a fight Lobo had when he was a puppy. Describe the fight.
2. One of the pups is still alive when the female badger finally escapes the trap and returns to her den. Why does the last pup die?
3. Describe Ben's behavior when the family goes inside to dinner and he is left alone with the dead badger's body.
4. Why does William hit Ben when Ben tries to stop him from skinning the badger?
5. As the book opens, how does the author describe William MacDonald?
6. Why is Ben so happy at dinner at the end of Chapter Three?
7. Describe the badger's appearance at the opening of Chapter Two.
8. As the prologue ends, what does the author say is the MacDonald family's greatest problem and why is that problem strange?
9. Why was the male badger unable to detect the danger of the trap?
10. What reasons does William give Esther for why he agreed to let Burton run traps on their land?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)