|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Burton give for Lobo's respect of badgers?
(a) He knows they're bigger than he is.
(b) He doesn't like the way they smell.
(c) He thinks they're good hunters.
(d) He fought one when he was a pup.
2. As Chapter Four opens, which of the following reasons does the author NOT say kept the badger from attacking Ben?
(a) She was frightened of him.
(b) She is stronger than he.
(c) He is small.
(d) He is defenseless.
3. How does the author say Esther MacDonald reacts to the journey in the prologue?
(a) She spends the trip mad at her husband.
(b) She cries most of the time.
(c) She is very frightened.
(d) She shows no fear.
4. For what reason is Ben eager to start school?
(a) To learn about animals.
(b) To learn about math.
(c) To learn how to read.
(d) To learn history.
5. In the prologue, the author states that William MacDonald is what ethnicity?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the MacDonald animals respond when they see Ben coming?
2. From how far away can a male badger detect a female's scent?
3. How does William MacDonald feel about the new neighbor?
4. How does the female badger free herself from the trap?
5. In Chapter Five, Burton mentions that badgers are better fighters than all but which animal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do both William and Ben believe they are responsible for William hitting Ben during the badger skinning?
2. Why does the author make a point of saying that Ben cries for his father at the end of Chapter Eight?
3. Describe the badger's appearance at the opening of Chapter Two.
4. Describe Ben's behavior when the family goes inside to dinner and he is left alone with the dead badger's body.
5. Why does the MacDonald family allow the badger to move in with them?
6. Esther is concerned about her son all morning in Chapter Nine, and yet she does not go look for him. Why?
7. Why is Ben so happy at dinner at the end of Chapter Three?
8. Describe how the female badger hunts prairie dogs, and what problem she might encounter in the process.
9. Describe the difference between William and Esther's opinions of Ben's development in Chapter Two.
10. Why does the search team from North Corners not turn up any sign of Ben in the two days they spend looking?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)