|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Chapter Three opens, what has prompted the string of visitors to the MacDonald farm?
(a) They want to know about the new neighbor.
(b) They wish to see Ben.
(c) They are completing seasonal visits.
(d) They need advice from William.
2. Which of the following animals does the prologue NOT mention as present on the MacDonald farm?
(b) Milk cow.
3. Which of the following does Burton NOT mention as a use for badger pelts in Chapter Five?
(a) Shaving brushes.
(b) Snow shoes.
(d) Hand muffs.
4. What favor does the new neighbor ask of William MacDonald?
(a) To buy MacDonald's crops.
(b) To trap on MacDonald's land.
(c) To hide out at MacDonald's house.
(d) To borrow MacDonald's horse.
5. The MacDonalds have an argument after their new neighbor leaves in Chapter One. About what are they arguing?
(a) The farm.
(d) The neighbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following fates did NOT befall the female badger's previous litter?
2. How much money does Burton say he can make off the male badger's pelt?
3. What is the name of the new neighbor Ben's father wants him to meet?
4. Why does the badger decide not to go out and hunt at the end of Chapter Six?
5. In Chapter Three, how is the relationship between William and Esther?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mr. Burton's appearance as discussed in Chapter One.
2. Esther is concerned about her son all morning in Chapter Nine, and yet she does not go look for him. Why?
3. Describe the den the badger creates for herself and her litter.
4. Describe the fight between Lobo, Ben, and the badger.
5. Describe the difference between William and Esther's opinions of Ben's development in Chapter Two.
6. Why is the bird in Chapter Seven leading Ben away from the house?
7. What explains the badger's behavior in feeding Ben during Chapter Ten?
8. Explain why the female badger did not run after her meeting with Ben.
9. What occurrence leads the MacDonalds to name the site for the new farm?
10. What are William's thoughts when Ben asks if the badger will live?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)