|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the author say Esther MacDonald reacts to the journey in the prologue?
(a) She cries most of the time.
(b) She shows no fear.
(c) She is very frightened.
(d) She spends the trip mad at her husband.
2. For what is the badger searching when the author first introduces the character?
3. By the end of the prologue, the MacDonalds have how many children?
4. Why does the neighbor say the dog's reaction to Ben is unusual?
(a) The dog only lets his owner close to him.
(b) The dog is usually friendly to strangers.
(c) The dog doesn't normally care about kids.
(d) The dog doesn't usually obey verbal commands.
5. How does Ben react when William begins to skin the male badger?
(a) He begins to laugh hysterically.
(b) He shrieks and knocks the knife out of William's hand.
(c) He throws himself on top of the badger's body.
(d) He screams and runs away.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Three, how does the hawk react when Ben tries to watch it eat?
2. Where does Burton decide to set his trap after the male badger's death?
3. What favor does the new neighbor ask of William MacDonald?
4. Toward the end of Chapter Two, the author states that the gestation period for badgers is how long?
5. At the end of Chapter Three, William comments on what behavior from Ben?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Burton wish to trap on the MacDonald's land?
2. Why does William hit Ben when Ben tries to stop him from skinning the badger?
3. Describe how the female badger hunts prairie dogs, and what problem she might encounter in the process.
4. Describe the den the badger creates for herself and her litter.
5. Why does William think Ben isn't normal, as stated in Chapter One?
6. Describe the process by which the female badger keeps her den clean and the purpose of her behavior.
7. Why does the hawk not frighten the badger while she searches for a site for her den?
8. Explain why the female badger did not run after her meeting with Ben.
9. Describe the badger's appearance at the opening of Chapter Two.
10. According to the townspeople of Winnipeg, why does Burton take his dog, Lobo, with him wherever he goes?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)