|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The MacDonalds have an argument after their new neighbor leaves in Chapter One. About what are they arguing?
(c) The neighbor.
(d) The farm.
2. In 1870, the Hudson Bay Company transfers the title of its entire territory to which government?
3. What purpose does the badger's second tunnel serve as she completes her digging project?
(a) Light source.
(b) Emergency escape.
(c) Main entrance.
(d) Predator confusion.
4. The Hudson Bay Company builds a second fort close to the North West Company fort. What is the name of the second fort?
(a) Fort Douglas.
(b) Fort Kearney.
(c) Fort Riley.
(d) Fort Gibraltar.
5. Why does William agree to skin the male badger when Burton suggests it?
(a) He knows it will upset Ben.
(b) He thinks it might be interesting.
(c) He can't think of a good reason not to.
(d) John wants him to.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Chapter One opens, what animal is Ben MacDonald following?
2. Why does the author say the real agony begins for the badger at dawn of the second morning?
3. As Chapter Three opens, what has prompted the string of visitors to the MacDonald farm?
4. How long does the male badger struggle in the trap before Burton finds him?
5. In Chapter One, what is William's attitude toward Ben?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Five, Burton tells a story of a fight Lobo had when he was a puppy. Describe the fight.
2. According to the townspeople of Winnipeg, why does Burton take his dog, Lobo, with him wherever he goes?
3. What occurrence leads the MacDonalds to name the site for the new farm?
4. Why does the hawk not frighten the badger while she searches for a site for her den?
5. Describe how the female badger escapes from the trap in Chapter Six.
6. Why is Ben so happy at dinner at the end of Chapter Three?
7. One of the pups is still alive when the female badger finally escapes the trap and returns to her den. Why does the last pup die?
8. During dinner in Chapter Five, who does Burton tell John carries badger fangs?
9. Why was the male badger unable to detect the danger of the trap?
10. Describe the way in which William and Esther MacDonald planned to find the site for their farm.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)