|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With which of Ben's siblings does he NOT have a good relationship?
2. Which of the following animals does the prologue NOT mention as present on the MacDonald farm?
(d) Milk cow.
3. Instead of resting after the digging project is completed, the female badger begins to do what?
(b) Gather grasses.
(d) Look for her mate.
4. At the beginning of Chapter Six, how long does the female badger stay in the den with her pups after her last hunt?
(a) Six hours.
(b) Twenty-four hours.
(c) Five days.
(d) Three days.
5. Where is Burton while the female badger is struggling with the trap?
(a) At home asleep.
(b) Checking his other traps.
(c) At a saloon in Winnipeg.
(d) At the MacDonald farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ben react when the neighbor's dog charges him?
2. By the time she gets to her den after escaping the trap, how many of the badger's pups are still alive?
3. As far as the townspeople can tell, the new neighbor originally comes from where?
4. Lord Selkirk, who manages the Hudson Bay Company, brings in settlers from which country to farm the Winnipeg area?
5. What purpose does the badger's second tunnel serve as she completes her digging project?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the difference between William and Esther's opinions of Ben's development in Chapter Two.
2. Describe the badger's appearance at the opening of Chapter Two.
3. What occurrence leads the MacDonalds to name the site for the new farm?
4. In the prologue, how is Esther MacDonald described?
5. Why does William hit Ben when Ben tries to stop him from skinning the badger?
6. As the prologue ends, what does the author say is the MacDonald family's greatest problem and why is that problem strange?
7. Explain the development of the baby badgers as described in Chapter Four.
8. How do the townspeople of Winnipeg react to the stories of Ben's relationship with animals?
9. Describe the growth of the MacDonald farm in the early years of the settlement.
10. During dinner in Chapter Five, who does Burton tell John carries badger fangs?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)