|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far away from the female's den has Burton laid the trap intended to catch her?
(a) Twelve feet.
(b) Sixty feet.
(c) Two yards.
(d) One mile.
2. Where does the female badger take shelter after collapsing in her den?
(a) One of her old burrows.
(b) Under Burton's porch.
(c) In a cave.
(d) The MacDonald barn.
3. For what reason is Ben eager to start school?
(a) To learn about animals.
(b) To learn how to read.
(c) To learn about math.
(d) To learn history.
4. After the initial digging, the badger moves away and begins to dig again at what distance from the first site?
(a) 360 yards.
(b) Fifty feet.
(c) Two feet.
(d) A mile.
5. What is the name of the new neighbor Ben's father wants him to meet?
(a) Mr. McCray.
(b) Mr. Lobo.
(c) Mr. Hill.
(d) Mr. Burton.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the MacDonald animals respond when they see Ben coming?
2. By the time she gets to her den after escaping the trap, how many of the badger's pups are still alive?
3. How does William respond to Ben's reaction over the badger skinning?
4. Which of the following animals does the prologue NOT mention as present on the MacDonald farm?
5. As Chapter Four opens, which of the following reasons does the author NOT say kept the badger from attacking Ben?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the growth of the MacDonald farm in the early years of the settlement.
2. Describe the process by which the female badger keeps her den clean and the purpose of her behavior.
3. What happened to the badger's last litter?
4. Why is the female badger luckier in her experience with the trap than her mate?
5. Why does Burton wish to trap on the MacDonald's land?
6. How do the townspeople of Winnipeg react to the stories of Ben's relationship with animals?
7. Why was the male badger unable to detect the danger of the trap?
8. Describe the way in which William and Esther MacDonald planned to find the site for their farm.
9. Describe the badger's appearance at the opening of Chapter Two.
10. What does Esther suggest in Chapter One as the real reason Ben acts as though he is afraid of his father?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)