|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter Five, Burton mentions that badgers are better fighters than all but which animal?
2. By the end of the prologue, the MacDonalds have how many children?
3. Which of the following does Burton NOT mention as a use for badger pelts in Chapter Five?
(a) Hand muffs.
(c) Shaving brushes.
(d) Snow shoes.
4. In 1870, the Hudson Bay Company transfers the title of its entire territory to which government?
5. Where does the female badger frequently hunt while her babies are nursing?
(a) Prairie dog town.
(b) The stream by her den.
(c) The MacDonald farm.
(d) The forest away from her den.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ben notice when he examines the badger's body that assures him it's not the badger he met?
2. How long ago did the MacDonalds come to the region to settle their farm?
3. Lord Selkirk, who manages the Hudson Bay Company, brings in settlers from which country to farm the Winnipeg area?
4. What reaction do the neighbors say Ben's siblings have when they attempt to discuss Ben with them?
5. At the beginning of Chapter Two, how old is the female badger?
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurrence leads the MacDonalds to name the site for the new farm?
2. Describe how the female badger hunts prairie dogs, and what problem she might encounter in the process.
3. What does Esther suggest in Chapter One as the real reason Ben acts as though he is afraid of his father?
4. Describe the growth of the MacDonald farm in the early years of the settlement.
5. Describe the den the badger creates for herself and her litter.
6. Why does William think Ben isn't normal, as stated in Chapter One?
7. Describe the process by which the female badger keeps her den clean and the purpose of her behavior.
8. According to the townspeople of Winnipeg, why does Burton take his dog, Lobo, with him wherever he goes?
9. Why is the female badger luckier in her experience with the trap than her mate?
10. Why does William hit Ben when Ben tries to stop him from skinning the badger?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)