|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far away from the female's den has Burton laid the trap intended to catch her?
(a) Twelve feet.
(b) Two yards.
(c) One mile.
(d) Sixty feet.
2. The female badger has a scar on her right ear as a result of fighting what animal?
3. How does the author say Esther MacDonald reacts to the journey in the prologue?
(a) She spends the trip mad at her husband.
(b) She shows no fear.
(c) She is very frightened.
(d) She cries most of the time.
4. How does Ben react when the neighbor's dog charges him?
(a) Screams and kicks at it.
(b) Drops to all fours and whines.
(c) Runs and hides.
(d) Smacks it on the nose.
5. Where does the female badger frequently hunt while her babies are nursing?
(a) The stream by her den.
(b) Prairie dog town.
(c) The forest away from her den.
(d) The MacDonald farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Burton put on a leather glove when setting his traps?
2. Which of the following fates did NOT befall the female badger's previous litter?
3. Toward the end of Chapter Two, the author states that the gestation period for badgers is how long?
4. While examining his find in Chapter Three, Ben finds himself face to face with what animal?
5. Why does the author say the real agony begins for the badger at dawn of the second morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the female badger hunts prairie dogs, and what problem she might encounter in the process.
2. Why does the hawk not frighten the badger while she searches for a site for her den?
3. Why was the male badger unable to detect the danger of the trap?
4. What happened to the badger's last litter?
5. Describe the way in which William and Esther MacDonald planned to find the site for their farm.
6. Explain the development of the baby badgers as described in Chapter Four.
7. Why does William think Ben isn't normal, as stated in Chapter One?
8. During dinner in Chapter Five, who does Burton tell John carries badger fangs?
9. Describe the process by which the female badger keeps her den clean and the purpose of her behavior.
10. What reasons does the author give in Chapter Three for why Ben wishes to become a bird?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)