|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What noise does the female badger NOT make while digging?
2. At the end of Chapter Three, William comments on what behavior from Ben?
(a) He's smiling to himself.
(b) He's rude.
(c) He's doesn't stop talking through the meal.
(d) He's quieter than ever.
3. As Chapter One opens, what animal is Ben MacDonald following?
4. While examining his find in Chapter Three, Ben finds himself face to face with what animal?
5. For what reason is Ben eager to start school?
(a) To learn about animals.
(b) To learn how to read.
(c) To learn history.
(d) To learn about math.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the neighbor's dog?
2. Why does the neighbor say the dog's reaction to Ben is unusual?
3. Toward the end of Chapter Two, the author states that the gestation period for badgers is how long?
4. While the female badger is digging, what other animal catches her attention for a few minutes?
5. As the book opens, the author says that the name "Winnipeg" originated with which Native American tribe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does William hit Ben when Ben tries to stop him from skinning the badger?
2. Describe the badger's appearance at the opening of Chapter Two.
3. Why does William think Ben isn't normal, as stated in Chapter One?
4. Describe the difference between William and Esther's opinions of Ben's development in Chapter Two.
5. Why was the male badger unable to detect the danger of the trap?
6. Why does the hawk not frighten the badger while she searches for a site for her den?
7. In Chapter Five, Burton tells a story of a fight Lobo had when he was a puppy. Describe the fight.
8. What does Esther suggest in Chapter One as the real reason Ben acts as though he is afraid of his father?
9. Describe how the female badger hunts prairie dogs, and what problem she might encounter in the process.
10. Describe the way in which William and Esther MacDonald planned to find the site for their farm.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)