|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reputation does the neighbor have with the townspeople of Winnipeg?
(a) They think he's a coward and a bully.
(b) They are afraid of him.
(c) They don't know anything about him.
(d) They think he is kind and friendly.
2. How does Ben react to seeing the badger Burton caught?
(a) He yells and screams.
(b) He says nothing.
(c) He congratulates Burton.
(d) He runs away.
3. Which of the following animals does the prologue NOT mention as present on the MacDonald farm?
(a) Milk cow.
4. While examining the mouse skull abandoned by the hawk, Ben discovers what?
(a) An anthill.
(b) The mouse's nest.
(c) An interesting plant.
(d) The mouse's tail.
5. Instead of resting after the digging project is completed, the female badger begins to do what?
(a) Look for her mate.
(d) Gather grasses.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Chapter Four opens, which of the following reasons does the author NOT say kept the badger from attacking Ben?
2. The North West Company's original fort is seized and destroyed by the Hudson Bay Company; what is the name of the fort that replaces this original fort?
3. In Chapter Five, Burton mentions that badgers are better fighters than all but which animal?
4. At the beginning of Chapter Four, how old are the badger's babies?
5. In 1806, the North West Company builds on top of what had been Fort Rouge. What is the name of the new fort?
Short Essay Questions
1. One of the pups is still alive when the female badger finally escapes the trap and returns to her den. Why does the last pup die?
2. Describe the process by which the female badger keeps her den clean and the purpose of her behavior.
3. What reasons does William give Esther for why he agreed to let Burton run traps on their land?
4. Describe Ben's behavior when the family goes inside to dinner and he is left alone with the dead badger's body.
5. Describe the badger's appearance at the opening of Chapter Two.
6. According to the townspeople of Winnipeg, why does Burton take his dog, Lobo, with him wherever he goes?
7. What does Esther suggest in Chapter One as the real reason Ben acts as though he is afraid of his father?
8. Describe how the female badger hunts prairie dogs, and what problem she might encounter in the process.
9. Describe Mr. Burton's appearance as discussed in Chapter One.
10. As the prologue ends, what does the author say is the MacDonald family's greatest problem and why is that problem strange?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)