|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While examining his find in Chapter Three, Ben finds himself face to face with what animal?
2. While the female badger is digging, what other animal catches her attention for a few minutes?
(a) Prairie dog.
3. How does the female badger free herself from the trap?
(a) She manages to pry the trap open.
(b) She chews off the part of her body stuck in the trap.
(c) She separates the chain from the rock.
(d) She separates the trap from the chain.
4. Where does the female badger frequently hunt while her babies are nursing?
(a) The forest away from her den.
(b) The MacDonald farm.
(c) Prairie dog town.
(d) The stream by her den.
5. Why does the author say the real agony begins for the badger at dawn of the second morning?
(a) She realizes that her mate is dead.
(b) She knows she is going to die.
(c) She can hear her pups crying for food.
(d) She has to hunt with her injuries.
Short Answer Questions
1. Instead of resting after the digging project is completed, the female badger begins to do what?
2. In 1806, the North West Company builds on top of what had been Fort Rouge. What is the name of the new fort?
3. How do the MacDonald animals respond when they see Ben coming?
4. The neighbor is surprised to learn that Ben is six years old, because Ben looks as though he ought to be how old?
5. What noise does the female badger NOT make while digging?
Short Essay Questions
1. During dinner in Chapter Five, who does Burton tell John carries badger fangs?
2. As the book opens, how does the author describe William MacDonald?
3. One of the pups is still alive when the female badger finally escapes the trap and returns to her den. Why does the last pup die?
4. In Chapter Five, Burton tells a story of a fight Lobo had when he was a puppy. Describe the fight.
5. Describe the difference between William and Esther's opinions of Ben's development in Chapter Two.
6. What occurrence leads the MacDonalds to name the site for the new farm?
7. Why was the male badger unable to detect the danger of the trap?
8. Describe how the female badger escapes from the trap in Chapter Six.
9. According to the townspeople of Winnipeg, why does Burton take his dog, Lobo, with him wherever he goes?
10. Why does William think Ben isn't normal, as stated in Chapter One?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)