|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Esther not initially go to look for her son when she realizes she hasn't seen him for awhile?
(a) She is too busy with housework.
(b) She knows Ben is upset with her.
(c) She is trying not to smother him.
(d) She doesn't want to interrupt if he's spending time with William.
2. What is William's response to the search party giving up in Chapter Nine?
(a) He calls his neighbors traitors.
(b) His family will not give up.
(c) He agrees that it is probably hopeless.
(d) He is angry with the neighbors.
3. Where do Ben and the badger sleep after Ben's return home?
(a) On the floor in his room.
(b) In his bed.
(c) In the barn.
(d) Under the front porch.
4. As daylight breaks in Chapter Ten, the badger brings Ben what to eat?
(d) Prairie dog.
5. What area does everyone think is most likely for Ben to have chosen and disappeared in Chapter Eleven?
(a) Toward the river.
(b) Toward Winnipeg.
(c) North of the farm.
(d) Into the woods.
6. As William and Esther sit down to lunch in Chapter Nine, where does William suggest Ben is?
(a) Hiding under the house.
(b) Playing in the barn.
(c) Talking to a chipmunk.
(d) Sleeping by the stream.
7. What issue do the MacDonalds face at the end of Chapter Twelve?
(a) The whole town now knows Ben's story.
(b) Ben refuses to attend school without the badger.
(c) Ben becomes very ill.
(d) Ben retreats again and will not speak.
8. How long does the search party look for Ben before giving up the search in Chapter Nine?
(a) Two days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Four days.
(d) Six hours.
9. What is the most surprising part of the changes in Ben for his family in Chapter Twelve?
(a) He continues to act like a badger.
(b) He begins talking to them more.
(c) He doesn't think his family missed him.
(d) He is so skinny.
10. What hiding place does Ben stumble into during the storm in Chapter Seven?
(a) Abandoned barn.
(c) Badger den.
(d) Rock pile.
11. With what prized possession does John mark the spot where he finds Ben's missing article of clothing?
(d) Walking stick.
12. When Ben awakens from his difficult night in Chapter Eight, what is the weather like?
(a) Still storming.
(c) Raining lightly.
(d) Blue sky.
13. As Chapter Nine begins, at what point does Esther begin to wonder where Ben is?
(a) When the school bus arrives.
(b) After dinner.
(c) As soon as breakfast is over.
(d) About noon.
14. How does Ben react when the badger returns at the beginning of Chapter Eight?
(a) He welcomes her back warmly.
(b) He is angry and scolds her.
(c) He is terrified and screams.
(d) He doesn't notice that she has returned.
15. When Ben notices that the badger's foot is bothering her, what does he initially use to clean the wound?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ben finally decide to head for home during Chapter Seven?
2. In the first week after Ben's disappearance, how many hours does William spend looking for Ben each day?
3. Why is the MacDonald family's search for Ben so difficult in Chapter Eleven?
4. To what conclusion has John come at the beginning of Chapter Eleven?
5. What article(s) of clothing does Ben lose while trying to find shelter from the storm?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)