|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ben initially react when Esther tries to take him from John after he is found?
(a) He clings tightly to John.
(b) He grabs for his mother.
(c) He wrestles free and runs to hide.
(d) He begins to cry.
2. When the badger shows up at the MacDonald house, how does William initially react?
(a) He throws a heavy pot at her.
(b) He opens the door to let her in.
(c) He grabs his rifle.
(d) He tells Ben to send her away.
3. What tool does Ben use to enlarge the burrow in Chapter Eight?
(a) His trousers.
(b) An abandoned bucket.
(c) His hands.
(d) A basket made from prairie grass.
4. With what prized possession does John mark the spot where he finds Ben's missing article of clothing?
(a) Walking stick.
5. How does the badger react when John pulls Ben from the tunnel and heads toward his horse?
(a) She does not come out.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She charges John.
(d) She sits and watches.
6. What visitor arrives as Chapter Twelve ends?
7. How does Ben react when the badger returns at the beginning of Chapter Eight?
(a) He is angry and scolds her.
(b) He doesn't notice that she has returned.
(c) He is terrified and screams.
(d) He welcomes her back warmly.
8. After the relationship between Ben and the badger begins to grow, how long does he spend most of his time underground?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) One week.
(c) Two days.
(d) One month.
9. Who does Ben ask to help bury the badger?
10. How long does the search party look for Ben before giving up the search in Chapter Nine?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Six hours.
(c) Two days.
(d) Four days.
11. How old is John in Chapter Eleven as he searches for his baby brother?
12. Why does Ben finally decide to head for home during Chapter Seven?
(a) He has lost interest in the animals.
(b) The storm seems closer than he thought.
(c) He hears his mother calling.
(d) He knows it is probably bed time.
13. What does William tell his son about the badger's chances to live?
(a) She may never be able walk again.
(b) He thinks she's already dead.
(c) She'll probably be fine.
(d) She'll probably die of shock.
14. Why does Ben initially decide not to head for home in Chapter Seven?
(a) He is looking for the female badger.
(b) He doesn't think the storm is close.
(c) He knows his parents are looking for him.
(d) He thinks Burton might be at his house.
15. What is the most surprising part of the changes in Ben for his family in Chapter Twelve?
(a) He continues to act like a badger.
(b) He is so skinny.
(c) He begins talking to them more.
(d) He doesn't think his family missed him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Burton says, when the search party is unable to locate Ben, that the boy must have gone where?
2. What animal does the badger bring for Ben to eat that he cannot bring himself to eat in Chapter Ten?
3. What animal do Ben and the badger fight and kill at the end of Chapter Ten?
4. Why does Esther not initially go to look for her son when she realizes she hasn't seen him for awhile?
5. As William continues his search for Ben in Chapter Nine, which of the following animals does he NOT worry may have attacked the boy?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)