|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ben respond when William offers to help him bury the badger?
(c) Starts screaming.
(d) Doesn't respond.
2. What has been different about the MacDonald family since the evening Burton brought the dead badger over?
(a) Ben is getting much more attention.
(b) Nothing has changed.
(c) Ben is getting much less attention.
(d) Everyone is mad at Ben.
3. How long does John wait for Ben to emerge from the rock pile after finding him?
(a) Two days.
(b) Ten minutes.
(c) Three hours.
(d) Half an hour.
4. For which of the following does Ben NOT cry at the end of Chapter Eight?
5. In Chapter Ten, how many horsemen does Ben see when he leaves the burrow for a drink?
6. After Ben eats the meal the badger has brought him, how else does she attempt to feed him?
(a) She tries to teach him to dig.
(b) She tries to nurse him.
(c) She tries to teach him how to fish.
(d) She tries to keep him in the burrow.
7. What leads Ben to conclude that the badger was not a dream after his first night in the badger den?
(a) He finds her footprints around the den.
(b) He finds badger fur on his clothes.
(c) He remembers her presence clearly.
(d) The badger is sitting outside waiting for him.
8. As John continues his search southwest of the farm in Chapter Eleven, what article of clothing does he find belonging to his brother?
9. When the other children return home from school, William asks John to continue the search for Ben in which direction?
10. How does the badger react when John pulls Ben from the tunnel and heads toward his horse?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She does not come out.
(c) She charges John.
(d) She sits and watches.
11. What article(s) of clothing does Ben lose while trying to find shelter from the storm?
12. As Chapter Seven opens, what are Ben's siblings doing?
(a) Playing tag in the yard.
(b) Helping William with barn work.
(c) Cleaning the house.
(d) Last day of school.
13. What hiding place does Ben stumble into during the storm in Chapter Seven?
(a) Badger den.
(b) Rock pile.
(c) Abandoned barn.
14. Why is the MacDonald family's search for Ben so difficult in Chapter Eleven?
(a) They no longer think he is alive.
(b) Their neighbors are unwilling to help.
(c) The weather is bad.
(d) They have no idea which direction he went.
15. Once John manages to mount his horse with Ben, how does Ben react?
(a) He falls asleep.
(b) He goes limp.
(c) He continues to fight.
(d) He begins to cry.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ben react when the badger returns at the beginning of Chapter Eight?
2. What does William tell his son about the badger's chances to live?
3. The members of the search party agree before they begin that whomever finds Ben will fire how many shots?
4. Why does Ben initially decide not to head for home in Chapter Seven?
5. What occurs to Ben when he awakens after his first night in the badger den?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)