|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much of the female badger's body gets caught in Burton's trap in Chapter Six?
(a) Two toes.
(b) Both front legs.
(d) One front leg.
2. In what year does the prologue say this story takes place?
3. The female badger has a scar on her right ear as a result of fighting what animal?
4. How do the MacDonald animals respond when they see Ben coming?
(a) They run away from him.
(b) They do not move at all.
(c) They ignore him.
(d) They run to him.
5. As Chapter One opens, what animal is Ben MacDonald following?
6. How does the animal Ben encounters in Chapter Three respond when he tries to feed it?
(a) The animal attacks him.
(b) The animal ignores him.
(c) The animals runs from him.
(d) The animal accepts the food.
7. Why is Esther so angry with her husband over his attitude toward Ben?
(a) She doesn't think William tries to understand Ben.
(b) She thinks William pampers Ben too much.
(c) She thinks William hates Ben.
(d) She doesn't like the way William disciplines Ben.
8. What noise does the author say Ben makes in Chapter Three that seems to soothe any animal?
9. From which city did the MacDonalds set out when traveling to Winnipeg looking for a site to farm?
10. How does Esther ask Ben to respond to the new neighbor?
(a) Offer a gift.
(b) Be quiet.
(c) Shake hands.
(d) Run and hide.
11. Where is Burton while the female badger is struggling with the trap?
(a) At a saloon in Winnipeg.
(b) Checking his other traps.
(c) At the MacDonald farm.
(d) At home asleep.
12. In Chapter Three, how does the hawk react when Ben tries to watch it eat?
(a) It doesn't see him.
(b) It attacks him.
(c) It flies away.
(d) It allows him to watch.
13. Where does the female badger take shelter after collapsing in her den?
(a) Under Burton's porch.
(b) One of her old burrows.
(c) In a cave.
(d) The MacDonald barn.
14. In Chapter Three, how is the relationship between William and Esther?
(a) They barely speak to each other.
(b) They are closer than ever.
(c) They are fighting less than they used to.
(d) They are fighting more than they used to.
15. As the book opens, the author says that the name "Winnipeg" originated with which Native American tribe?
(c) Dakota Sioux.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the initial digging, the badger moves away and begins to dig again at what distance from the first site?
2. Which of the following fates did NOT befall the female badger's previous litter?
3. The Hudson Bay Company builds a second fort close to the North West Company fort. What is the name of the second fort?
4. How does Esther react when Ben refuses to come inside for dinner after Burton shows them the dead male badger?
5. What favor does the new neighbor ask of William MacDonald?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)