|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The North West Company's original fort is seized and destroyed by the Hudson Bay Company; what is the name of the fort that replaces this original fort?
(a) Fort Kearney.
(b) Fort Riley.
(c) Fort Leonard.
(d) Fort Garry.
2. How far away from the female's den has Burton laid the trap intended to catch her?
(a) Twelve feet.
(b) One mile.
(c) Two yards.
(d) Sixty feet.
3. Which Native American tribe used to inhabit the lands that make up the MacDonald farm?
(c) Dakota Sioux.
4. As Chapter Five opens, Burton arrives at the MacDonald farm just in time for what?
5. From which city did the MacDonalds set out when traveling to Winnipeg looking for a site to farm?
6. How does Ben react when William begins to skin the male badger?
(a) He shrieks and knocks the knife out of William's hand.
(b) He screams and runs away.
(c) He throws himself on top of the badger's body.
(d) He begins to laugh hysterically.
7. While examining his find in Chapter Three, Ben finds himself face to face with what animal?
8. What reputation does the neighbor have with the townspeople of Winnipeg?
(a) They don't know anything about him.
(b) They are afraid of him.
(c) They think he's a coward and a bully.
(d) They think he is kind and friendly.
9. At the beginning of Chapter Two, how old is the female badger?
10. At the beginning of Chapter Four, how old are the badger's babies?
(a) Twelve days.
(b) Sixty-four days.
(c) Thirty-three days.
(d) Forty-two days.
11. How long does the male badger struggle in the trap before Burton finds him?
(a) Two days.
(b) One day.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Three days.
12. Where does the female badger take shelter after collapsing in her den?
(a) The MacDonald barn.
(b) One of her old burrows.
(c) In a cave.
(d) Under Burton's porch.
13. How does the MacDonald family react to seeing the badger Burton caught?
(a) They say nothing.
(b) They are disinterested.
(c) They are disgusted.
(d) They congratulate him.
14. How does the female badger free herself from the trap?
(a) She separates the chain from the rock.
(b) She chews off the part of her body stuck in the trap.
(c) She manages to pry the trap open.
(d) She separates the trap from the chain.
15. What noise does the female badger NOT make while digging?
Short Answer Questions
1. Instead of resting after the digging project is completed, the female badger begins to do what?
2. As Chapter Three opens, what has prompted the string of visitors to the MacDonald farm?
3. The MacDonalds have an argument after their new neighbor leaves in Chapter One. About what are they arguing?
4. In Chapter Three, what animal does Ben most wish he could turn into?
5. What kind of bird inspired the MacDonalds to name their farm site Hawk's Hill?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)