|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following animals does the prologue NOT mention as present on the MacDonald farm?
(b) Milk cow.
2. How does William respond to Ben's reaction over the badger skinning?
(a) He throws the badger at Burton.
(b) He hits Ben.
(c) He yells at Ben.
(d) He turns the knife on Ben.
3. In Chapter Five, Burton mentions that badgers are better fighters than all but which animal?
4. The female badger has a scar on her right ear as a result of fighting what animal?
5. The North West Company's original fort is seized and destroyed by the Hudson Bay Company; what is the name of the fort that replaces this original fort?
(a) Fort Kearney.
(b) Fort Leonard.
(c) Fort Riley.
(d) Fort Garry.
6. Why is Esther so angry with her husband over his attitude toward Ben?
(a) She thinks William hates Ben.
(b) She doesn't think William tries to understand Ben.
(c) She doesn't like the way William disciplines Ben.
(d) She thinks William pampers Ben too much.
7. In Chapter Three, how does the hawk react when Ben tries to watch it eat?
(a) It allows him to watch.
(b) It flies away.
(c) It doesn't see him.
(d) It attacks him.
8. In Chapter One, what is William's attitude toward Ben?
(a) William thinks Ben is too big for his age.
(b) William thinks Ben is disrespectful.
(c) William thinks Ben isn't normal.
(d) William thinks Ben is perfectly average.
9. In Chapter Four, how much longer will it be before the baby badgers are ready to try solid food?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Twelve weeks.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Four weeks.
10. At the beginning of Chapter Two, how old is the female badger?
11. Lord Selkirk, who manages the Hudson Bay Company, brings in settlers from which country to farm the Winnipeg area?
12. For what is the badger searching when the author first introduces the character?
13. Where does the female badger frequently hunt while her babies are nursing?
(a) The MacDonald farm.
(b) The forest away from her den.
(c) Prairie dog town.
(d) The stream by her den.
14. When did William first meet the neighbor?
(a) Three weeks ago.
(b) Last week.
(c) Last month.
(d) He hasn't met him.
15. How does William MacDonald feel about the new neighbor?
(a) He's not fond of the man.
(b) He thinks the man is annoying.
(c) He hopes the man will stay awhile.
(d) He wants to be friends with the man.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far away from the female's den has Burton laid the trap intended to catch her?
2. While examining the mouse skull abandoned by the hawk, Ben discovers what?
3. Which of the following does Burton NOT mention as a use for badger pelts in Chapter Five?
4. How does the MacDonald family react to seeing the badger Burton caught?
5. What reason does Burton give for Lobo's respect of badgers?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)