|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By dawn of the second morning caught in the trap, what has the female badger accomplished?
(a) She has chewed the trap free from the chain.
(b) She has completely freed herself from the trap.
(c) She has drug the trap forty feet closer to the den.
(d) She has accomplished nothing.
2. Which of the following animals does the prologue NOT mention as present on the MacDonald farm?
(a) Milk cow.
3. As far as the townspeople can tell, the new neighbor originally comes from where?
4. While examining his find in Chapter Three, Ben finds himself face to face with what animal?
5. In 1870, the Hudson Bay Company transfers the title of its entire territory to which government?
6. What is the name of the new neighbor Ben's father wants him to meet?
(a) Mr. Lobo.
(b) Mr. Burton.
(c) Mr. Hill.
(d) Mr. McCray.
7. Why does Burton decide not to shoot the male badger?
(a) He forgot his rifle.
(b) He doesn't want to alert neighbors.
(c) He doesn't want to put a hole in the pelt.
(d) He forgot to pack bullets.
8. The neighbor is surprised to learn that Ben is six years old, because Ben looks as though he ought to be how old?
(a) Eleven or twelve.
(b) One or two.
(c) Eight or nine.
(d) Three or four.
9. The Hudson Bay Company builds a second fort close to the North West Company fort. What is the name of the second fort?
(a) Fort Gibraltar.
(b) Fort Kearney.
(c) Fort Riley.
(d) Fort Douglas.
10. How does Ben react to seeing the badger Burton caught?
(a) He congratulates Burton.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He yells and screams.
(d) He says nothing.
11. How far away from the female's den has Burton laid the trap intended to catch her?
(a) Sixty feet.
(b) Two yards.
(c) One mile.
(d) Twelve feet.
12. How much money does Burton say he can make off the male badger's pelt?
(a) Eighteen or twenty dollars.
(b) Twelve or fifteen dollars.
(c) Thirty or forty dollars.
(d) Five or six dollars.
13. In Chapter Five, Burton mentions that badgers are better fighters than all but which animal?
14. At the end of Chapter Three, William comments on what behavior from Ben?
(a) He's quieter than ever.
(b) He's rude.
(c) He's smiling to himself.
(d) He's doesn't stop talking through the meal.
15. What reputation does the neighbor have with the townspeople of Winnipeg?
(a) They are afraid of him.
(b) They think he is kind and friendly.
(c) They think he's a coward and a bully.
(d) They don't know anything about him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the problem with the first site the badger examined in Chapter Two?
2. In Chapter Three, how is the relationship between William and Esther?
3. Why did Burton leave Lobo at home when going to check his traps?
4. What is the name of the neighbor's dog?
5. By the end of the prologue, the MacDonalds have how many children?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)