|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Chapter One, what animal is Ben following?
2. How does Esther react when Ben refuses to come inside for dinner after Burton shows them the dead male badger?
(a) She tells him she'll put a plate aside for him.
(b) She forces him in the house.
(c) She gets angry with him.
(d) She yells and spanks him.
3. How does the author say Esther MacDonald reacts to the journey in the prologue?
(a) She is very frightened.
(b) She shows no fear.
(c) She spends the trip mad at her husband.
(d) She cries most of the time.
4. As the book opens, the author says that the name "Winnipeg" originated with which Native American tribe?
(c) Dakota Sioux.
5. Toward the end of Chapter Two, the author states that the gestation period for badgers is how long?
(a) Six months.
(b) Six to eight weeks.
(c) Twenty-four weeks.
(d) Sixty to sixty-five days.
6. The Hudson Bay Company builds a second fort close to the North West Company fort. What is the name of the second fort?
(a) Fort Gibraltar.
(b) Fort Kearney.
(c) Fort Douglas.
(d) Fort Riley.
7. What scent does the female badger encounter and ignore that her mate later smells during Chapter Four?
(c) Prairie dogs.
8. As Chapter Five opens, Burton arrives at the MacDonald farm just in time for what?
9. Where does Burton decide to set his trap after the male badger's death?
(a) Near the stream.
(b) Near the MacDonald farm.
(c) Near the prairie dog town.
(d) Near the female's den.
10. Which Native American tribe used to inhabit the lands that make up the MacDonald farm?
(b) Dakota Sioux.
11. By dawn of the second morning caught in the trap, what has the female badger accomplished?
(a) She has drug the trap forty feet closer to the den.
(b) She has chewed the trap free from the chain.
(c) She has completely freed herself from the trap.
(d) She has accomplished nothing.
12. By the time she gets to her den after escaping the trap, how many of the badger's pups are still alive?
13. How long does the male badger struggle in the trap before Burton finds him?
(a) Two hours.
(b) One day.
(c) Three days.
(d) Two days.
14. From what country was the man who originally built Fort Rouge near Winnipeg?
15. The MacDonalds have an argument after their new neighbor leaves in Chapter One. About what are they arguing?
(b) The neighbor.
(c) The farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect does hearing the dying cries of the pups have on the badger while she is stuck in the trap?
2. While the female badger is digging, what other animal catches her attention for a few minutes?
3. In 1870, the Hudson Bay Company transfers the title of its entire territory to which government?
4. Which of the following does Burton NOT mention as a use for badger pelts in Chapter Five?
5. The neighbor is surprised to learn that Ben is six years old, because Ben looks as though he ought to be how old?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)