|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ben react to seeing the badger Burton caught?
(a) He yells and screams.
(b) He says nothing.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He congratulates Burton.
2. Why does the neighbor say the dog's reaction to Ben is unusual?
(a) The dog is usually friendly to strangers.
(b) The dog doesn't usually obey verbal commands.
(c) The dog only lets his owner close to him.
(d) The dog doesn't normally care about kids.
3. How does the author say Esther MacDonald reacts to the journey in the prologue?
(a) She cries most of the time.
(b) She shows no fear.
(c) She spends the trip mad at her husband.
(d) She is very frightened.
4. How do the MacDonald animals respond when they see Ben coming?
(a) They run away from him.
(b) They run to him.
(c) They do not move at all.
(d) They ignore him.
5. How does Ben react when the neighbor's dog charges him?
(a) Drops to all fours and whines.
(b) Runs and hides.
(c) Smacks it on the nose.
(d) Screams and kicks at it.
6. While the female badger is digging, what other animal catches her attention for a few minutes?
(c) Prairie dog.
7. As Chapter Three opens, what has prompted the string of visitors to the MacDonald farm?
(a) They want to know about the new neighbor.
(b) They need advice from William.
(c) They are completing seasonal visits.
(d) They wish to see Ben.
8. The MacDonalds have an argument after their new neighbor leaves in Chapter One. About what are they arguing?
(a) The farm.
(b) The neighbor.
9. Which of the following animals does the prologue NOT mention as present on the MacDonald farm?
(c) Milk cow.
10. Which Native American tribe used to inhabit the lands that make up the MacDonald farm?
(a) Dakota Sioux.
11. Lord Selkirk, who manages the Hudson Bay Company, brings in settlers from which country to farm the Winnipeg area?
12. By dawn of the second morning caught in the trap, what has the female badger accomplished?
(a) She has accomplished nothing.
(b) She has completely freed herself from the trap.
(c) She has drug the trap forty feet closer to the den.
(d) She has chewed the trap free from the chain.
13. In the prologue, the author states that William MacDonald is what ethnicity?
14. Why is Esther so angry with her husband over his attitude toward Ben?
(a) She thinks William hates Ben.
(b) She doesn't like the way William disciplines Ben.
(c) She thinks William pampers Ben too much.
(d) She doesn't think William tries to understand Ben.
15. Why does Burton put on a leather glove when setting his traps?
(a) So that he doesn't have to touch the bait.
(b) To cover his scent.
(c) In case he acciedentally springs the trap.
(d) To prevent leaving fingerprints.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter Six, how long does the female badger stay in the den with her pups after her last hunt?
2. How far away from the female's den has Burton laid the trap intended to catch her?
3. When did William first meet the neighbor?
4. What reaction do the neighbors say Ben's siblings have when they attempt to discuss Ben with them?
5. Which of the following does Burton NOT mention as a use for badger pelts in Chapter Five?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)