|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lord Selkirk, who manages the Hudson Bay Company, brings in settlers from which country to farm the Winnipeg area?
2. In 1806, the North West Company builds on top of what had been Fort Rouge. What is the name of the new fort?
(a) Fort Gibraltar.
(b) Fort Riley.
(c) Fort Kearney.
(d) Fort Leonard.
3. For what is the badger searching when the author first introduces the character?
4. What kind of bird inspired the MacDonalds to name their farm site Hawk's Hill?
(a) Coopers hawk.
(b) Red-tailed hawk.
(c) Buzzard hawk.
(d) Peregrine hawk.
5. In what year does the prologue say this story takes place?
Short Answer Questions
1. As the book opens, the author says that the name "Winnipeg" originated with which Native American tribe?
2. Which Native American tribe used to inhabit the lands that make up the MacDonald farm?
3. After the neighbor leaves, how does Esther MacDonald say she feels about the man?
4. The North West Company's original fort is seized and destroyed by the Hudson Bay Company; what is the name of the fort that replaces this original fort?
5. Why is Esther so angry with her husband over his attitude toward Ben?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)