|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What school did Ernst Hanfstaengl attend?
2. What was Joseph Schachno beaten with?
3. How long did Schachno wait before going to the consulate after the beating?
4. What was William E. Dodd's position according to Chapter 1?
5. What did Dodd do that broke customs according to Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What aspirations did Dodd have?
2. Why was FDR not speaking out about the growing violence against the Jews?
3. What did Messersmith want from a new Ambassador to Germany?
4. What happened despite not having evidence?
5. What was happening since the German chancellor was named?
6. How did the American consulates feel?
7. What was one of the most difficult jobs that would face President Roosevelt?
8. Why did Messersmith feel alone?
9. What became a new presence?
10. What were William and Martha like according to Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the conflict between the United States State Department and William Dodd.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Papen and discuss why he was allowed to live while others were killed.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why people thought that the brutality in Germany under Hitler was being exaggerated.
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)