|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Marinus van der Lubbe sentenced to?
(a) 20 years hard labor.
(d) Life in prison.
2. Where did Diels flee to?
3. Where was Dodd going to go at the end of Chapter 24?
(a) The Japanese embassy.
(b) The Soviet embassy.
(c) The British embassy.
(d) The French embassy.
4. What was Martha disturbed by in Chapter 23?
(a) Boris' mockery of her father.
(b) Boris' mockery of capitalism.
(c) Boris' mockery of free will.
(d) Boris' mockery of Christ.
5. What did Dodd encourage the State Department officials to do?
(a) Try to spy on other countries.
(b) Live frugally.
(c) Get him a raise.
(d) Spend money on parties.
6. Who did Dodd write a letter to in response to Phillips accusations?
(a) Secretary Hum.
(d) The Vice President.
7. What was driving Boris mad, according to Chapter 25?
(a) Martha not leaving for Russia with him.
(b) Martha not wanting to marry him.
(c) Martha seeing other men.
(d) Martha being Christian.
8. Who did Martha witness the brutal treatment of?
(a) An old woman.
(b) A young boy.
(c) A young woman.
(d) An old man.
9. What did Mowrer refer to Messersmith as before departing Germany?
10. What idea did Hitler reject when proposed by Dodd?
(a) That Hitler nominate a successor in case of an accident.
(b) That the U.S. buy the freedom of the Jews.
(c) That Hitler learn about the Jewish religion.
(d) A refugee program for the Jews.
11. What did the State Department consider doing in Chapter 12?
(a) Forbidding Americans from traveling to Germany.
(b) Requiring visas for Nazi officials.
(c) Issuing a warning about traveling to Germany.
(d) Evacuating all Americans from Germany.
12. Why did Hitler order Rohm to be killed?
(a) He believed he was a homosexual.
(b) He believed him to be communist.
(c) Rohm had a liaison with Martha.
(d) Rohm wanted to leave Germany.
13. What did Dodd think of Hitler in Chapter 20?
(a) He was tall.
(b) His physical appearance was not impressive.
(c) His hair was great.
(d) His mustache was fashionable.
14. Who didn't believe what Hitler told Dodd about world peace?
(a) The State Department.
15. What did Messersmith think of Diels?
(a) That he was a spy.
(b) That he was a monster.
(c) That he was trying to recruit him as a spy.
(d) He was the most decent fellow of the entire regime.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Neurath ask Dodd to stop in Chapter 33?
2. Who did Martha date before starting to see Rudolf Diels?
3. Who did Martha maintain strong support for?
4. Who did Martha have to thank for attending the "great Reichstag Building arson trial" according to Chapter 22?
5. Who was Diels supporting in the Nazi hierarchy?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)