|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Franz von Papen position in the Nazi government according to Chapter 26?
(a) Inspector General.
(c) High Commander of the Army.
(d) Vice President.
2. What did Phillips accuse Dodd of in Chapter 29?
(a) A Nazi sympathizer.
(c) A communist.
(d) Weak in the face of the Nazi.
3. What was Dodd surprised to see in every town and village according to Chapter 11?
(b) Pictures of von Papen.
(c) Pictures of Hitler.
(d) Nazi banners.
4. Why did Baroness Poulette von Huhn lose her job as a columnist?
(a) She was Jewish.
(b) She criticized Hitler.
(c) Her husband was Jewish.
(d) She was a communist.
5. Who did Martha have to thank for attending the "great Reichstag Building arson trial" according to Chapter 22?
(b) Her father.
6. Who did Hitler complain about?
(a) The British.
(b) The French.
(c) The German people.
(d) The Japanese.
7. What was Martha disturbed by in Chapter 23?
(a) Boris' mockery of her father.
(b) Boris' mockery of Christ.
(c) Boris' mockery of free will.
(d) Boris' mockery of capitalism.
8. Who did Martha date before starting to see Rudolf Diels?
(a) Only German men.
(b) Nobody as she decided to leave Germany.
(c) A flying ace, an under secretary and a biophysicist.
(d) Boris exclusively.
9. What was H. V. Kaltenborn's occupation?
(b) Radio commentator.
10. What was Louis Lochner's occupation?
(a) Writer for the London Times.
(b) Associated Press reporter.
(c) Radio reporter.
(d) Military attache at the U.S. embassy.
11. Who was being blamed for starting the Reichstag fire?
12. Why did Dodd start to resent Messersmith?
(a) He thought he was one of Martha' lovers.
(b) He thought he liked Hitler.
(c) He thought he was trying to kill him.
(d) He thought he was after his job.
13. Why was Messersmith reluctant to fulfill Diels' request?
(a) He was forbidden to intervene by the State Department.
(b) He found Martha's affairs revolting.
(c) He didn't like Diels.
(d) He made a promise to Himmler.
14. Where was Dodd going to go at the end of Chapter 24?
(a) The Soviet embassy.
(b) The Japanese embassy.
(c) The French embassy.
(d) The British embassy.
15. Who did Dodd write a letter to in response to Phillips accusations?
(a) The Vice President.
(d) Secretary Hum.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which comment did Rohm make about Hitler that prompted him to say "We'll have to let the thing ripen"?
2. What was the German Vice-consul who came to Dodd bringing?
3. What did the State Department consider doing in Chapter 12?
4. Who blocked Dodd's speech from being published according to Chapter 18?
5. How did many refer to Rudolf Diels?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)