|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Dodd feel was wasted in Chapter 12?
(a) Money on parties.
(b) Energy in trying to convince Nazis to embrace peace.
(c) Water in the fountain.
(d) Steel in tanks.
2. What was Herbert Packebusch's rank according to Chapter 17?
(a) SS Captain.
(b) SS Colonel.
(c) SS Major.
(d) SS Sergeant.
3. What did the Nazis go at great length to do?
(a) Get people to vote.
(b) Prevent women from voting.
(c) Get Jews to vote.
(d) Prevent people from voting.
4. What did Diels show Martha to prove the growing culture of surveillance of the Nazis regime in Chapter 31?
(a) Recording equipment in his office.
(b) He played a recording of a conversation she had.
(c) He played a recording of her father.
(d) He showed a live video from Hitler's office.
5. Who didn't believe what Hitler told Dodd about world peace?
(c) The State Department.
6. Why did Dodd start to resent Messersmith?
(a) He thought he liked Hitler.
(b) He thought he was one of Martha' lovers.
(c) He thought he was trying to kill him.
(d) He thought he was after his job.
7. What was driving Boris mad, according to Chapter 25?
(a) Martha not wanting to marry him.
(b) Martha not leaving for Russia with him.
(c) Martha seeing other men.
(d) Martha being Christian.
8. Where did Diels flee to?
9. What was Dodd surprised to see in every town and village according to Chapter 11?
(b) Pictures of von Papen.
(c) Nazi banners.
(d) Pictures of Hitler.
10. What idea did Hitler reject when proposed by Dodd?
(a) That the U.S. buy the freedom of the Jews.
(b) That Hitler learn about the Jewish religion.
(c) A refugee program for the Jews.
(d) That Hitler nominate a successor in case of an accident.
11. Where did Hitler reassign Rohm's unit to?
(b) Reichstag security.
(d) Border control.
12. When was Marinus van der Lubbe sentenced according to Chapter 28?
(a) January 9, 1934.
(b) January 29, 1934.
(c) January 19, 1934.
(d) January 30, 1934.
13. What was Franz von Papen position in the Nazi government according to Chapter 26?
(b) Inspector General.
(c) Vice President.
(d) High Commander of the Army.
14. What was the predecessor of the KGB?
(a) The AKP.
(b) The GRU.
(c) The NKVD.
(d) The Stazi.
15. Why did Martha and Boris Winogradov choose to keep their relationship secret according to Chapter 14?
(a) Diels wanted Martha for himself.
(b) The Soviet Union was not recognized by the U.S.
(c) The Soviet Secret Service requested it.
(d) Boris was a communist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the "great Reichstag Building arson trial" prove to the world?
2. Who was being blamed for starting the Reichstag fire?
3. How long of a leave did Dodd ask for?
4. What did Mowrer refer to Messersmith as before departing Germany?
5. What did Dodd tell the reporters who met him at his return to the U.S. in Chapter 33?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)