|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the shape of the universe in chapter 4?
2. What were the first men constructed to be?
3. Why did the raven make woman?
4. Who is the Creator in chapter 5?
5. Who created the dawn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Phan Ku look like?
2. Why might the god in chapter four burst out from an egg?
3. Quat is the solar god of the Bank Islands. What parts of his story have to do with the sunlight and creation?
4. What did the woman want the Old Man to decide?
5. What is the curse Maidere puts on Dog?
6. How many gods are responsible for creation in chapter three?
7. What did Quat create after he traveled to the far edge of the sky?
8. Where is Karora asleep when as chapter nine begins?
9. Who were the first men created by Quat and what were they made of?
10. Who are Mawu and Lisa and what do they rule?
Essay Topic 1
Which stories involve a trickster? What are the characteristics of a trickster? How do things usually end up for the trickster? Give examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The female characters in these stories fall into two distinct categories: mother and shrew.
1) Which stories feature females as mothers? Are these women considered to be the creator gods?
2) Which stories feature females as shrews? What is often the result of their misbehavior?
What do these myths tell the reader about the role of women in these cultures?
Essay Topic 3
How does the story of Sa and Alatangana (chapter three) attempt to explain the different cultures, languages and races that populate the earth? Are these differences considered good or bad? Provide details from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,330 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)