|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the raven make more sheep?
2. Where did the raven take the man when it returned?
3. What did Quat use to cut a hole in the Night?
4. According to the story, why is there a separation between the races?
5. How many years did Phan Ku live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first man who fell from a pea pod in chapter one.
2. Where is the story of the Pea Pod Man from?
3. Why was Sa upset when Alatangana married his daughter?
4. Describe Sa's home?
5. What were Alatangana's children like?
6. What did Alatangana think about Sa's home?
7. What is the death rattle, and what effect does it have on people?
8. How did Phan Ku's body contribute to the creation of the world?
9. How many gods are responsible for creation in chapter three?
10. Why did the raven decide to make the bear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do cultures have a need to explain the origins of man, the earth and the heavens? How do the stories presented in the book help to explain these things? Give specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does the story of Sa and Alatangana (chapter three) attempt to explain the different cultures, languages and races that populate the earth? Are these differences considered good or bad? Provide details from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the myths blame the creation of death on an individual or a group of individuals.
1) Which stories blame humankind for death?
2) Which stories blame women for death?
3) Which stories blame another god for death?
What does this say about the culture's attitude towards death. For example: Is it something man is to blame for? Is it something that is out of their control? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)