|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Fool do with his puppets?
2. What did he make a mother and child out of?
3. Who is Alatangana?
4. What were nine of the brothers named after?
5. Who created death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is the story of the Pea Pod Man from?
2. Why did Sa turn down Alatangana's marriage proposal?
3. Who is the Old Man in chapter five?
4. What were Alatangana's children like?
5. What did Phan Ku look like?
6. What does the Creator look like in chapter one?
7. Why did the raven decide to make the bear?
8. Why might the god in chapter four burst out from an egg?
9. What did the man think about the sheep the raven created?
10. Why did the raven create the sheep and other animals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the stories have animals as main characters. Why is there a common theme about animals? Why might these cultures value animals so highly?
Essay Topic 2
Which stories involve a trickster? What are the characteristics of a trickster? How do things usually end up for the trickster? Give examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How many of the stories have a ruler of death, the dead or the underworld? How were these rulers created? Are they equal to the creator god? Why or why not? How can you tell? Are the rules of the dead fearful gods? Happy gods? Neither? Both? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)