|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who created the earth, sky, stars and sun?
2. Why did Alatangana create plants and animals?
3. Where did the children go when they grew up?
4. What did he make a mother and child out of?
5. How many sons did she have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the man think about the sheep the raven created?
2. After Quat was born, he showed himself to be different than his brothers. What did Quat do that made him stand out?
3. What were Alatangana's children like?
4. How many gods are responsible for creation in chapter three?
5. Why might the Eskimo's contribute the creation of pea-pods, and man, to birds?
6. Who is the Old Man in chapter five?
7. What does the Creator look like in chapter one?
8. What did the woman want the Old Man to decide?
9. Why did the raven create the sheep and other animals?
10. Why was Sa upset when Alatangana married his daughter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The gods in each story have different relationships with man. What are some of the relationships between god and man presented in the stories? Are these positive relationships? Personal relationships?
Essay Topic 2
Almost all of the creators in the myths presented are male. Why do so many stories feature men? What does this tell the reader about the cultures the stories come from?
Essay Topic 3
Often the sun and moon are seen as opposites. One is said to exist before the other.
1) Which stories begin with darkness?
2) Which stories begin with light?
3) Do more stories begin with darkness or with light? Why might this be?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)