|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the raven make woman?
2. What was the animal made of?
3. What did the Old Man say when the stone sank?
4. What did the Old Man throw into the water to determine if the woman and child would live forever?
5. What did the man look like when he fell out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Creator look like in chapter one?
2. What is the death rattle, and what effect does it have on people?
3. Who was Phan Ku?
4. Why was Sa upset when Alatangana married his daughter?
5. How did Old Man decide if mankind would live forever or die?
6. Why did Sa turn down Alatangana's marriage proposal?
7. Where is the story of the Pea Pod Man from?
8. What did the man think about the sheep the raven created?
9. How did the woman and child come into being?
10. Who is the Old Man in chapter five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often the sun and moon are seen as opposites. One is said to exist before the other.
1) Which stories begin with darkness?
2) Which stories begin with light?
3) Do more stories begin with darkness or with light? Why might this be?
Essay Topic 2
How does the story of Sa and Alatangana (chapter three) attempt to explain the different cultures, languages and races that populate the earth? Are these differences considered good or bad? Provide details from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The gods in each story have different relationships with man. What are some of the relationships between god and man presented in the stories? Are these positive relationships? Personal relationships?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)