|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who made the Earth?
2. What is the name of the mother in chapter 2?
3. How many children did Alatangana and Sa's daughter have?
4. What did the Old Man tell the mother and child to do on the fourth day?
5. What did Quat use to cut a hole in the Night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is the story of the Pea Pod Man from?
2. What did the woman want the Old Man to decide?
3. What is the death rattle, and what effect does it have on people?
4. Why did the raven create the sheep and other animals?
5. Who is the Old Man in chapter five?
6. Why might the Eskimo's contribute the creation of pea-pods, and man, to birds?
7. Why didn't Quat the Fools puppets turn out like his brother's six puppets?
8. What did Quat create after he traveled to the far edge of the sky?
9. Who was Phan Ku?
10. Why did Sa turn down Alatangana's marriage proposal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The female characters in these stories fall into two distinct categories: mother and shrew.
1) Which stories feature females as mothers? Are these women considered to be the creator gods?
2) Which stories feature females as shrews? What is often the result of their misbehavior?
What do these myths tell the reader about the role of women in these cultures?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the creation myths presented in the book begin with water covering the earth. Why do you think this is? How is dry land created in the stories? Why is dry land created in the stories?
Essay Topic 3
How do the stories deal with fate vs. free will? Are the people created int he different stories under the god(s) control? Do they have free will? Examine at least three of stories in your answer and provide details from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)