|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the raven take the man when it returned?
2. What did the Fool do with his puppets?
3. Where did Alatangana and his wife live?
4. How did he feel while moving across the soft ground?
5. How many people did Quat make?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Phan Ku?
2. What curse did Sa put on Alatangana's children?
3. What did Phan Ku look like?
4. How did Phan Ku's body contribute to the creation of the world?
5. Why did the raven create the sheep and other animals?
6. Who were the first men created by Quat and what were they made of?
7. Where the first men alive?
8. Why did Sa turn down Alatangana's marriage proposal?
9. Quat is the solar god of the Bank Islands. What parts of his story have to do with the sunlight and creation?
10. Who is the Old Man in chapter five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How many of the stories have a ruler of death, the dead or the underworld? How were these rulers created? Are they equal to the creator god? Why or why not? How can you tell? Are the rules of the dead fearful gods? Happy gods? Neither? Both? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Which stories involve a trickster? What are the characteristics of a trickster? How do things usually end up for the trickster? Give examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Are the gods in the stories omnipotent? Which ones are and which are not? How can you tell? Provide specific examples from the text. Analyze at least three stories in your answer.
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)