|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the raven create the mountain sheep?
2. Where did the children go when they grew up?
3. What is the shape of the universe in chapter 4?
4. What was the animal made of?
5. What did the Old Man tell the mother and child to do on the fourth day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the woman and child come into being?
2. Who is the Old Man in chapter five?
3. How were Quat and his brothers created in chapter two?
4. Why was Sa upset when Alatangana married his daughter?
5. What does the Creator look like in chapter one?
6. Why might the god in chapter four burst out from an egg?
7. How did Old Man decide if mankind would live forever or die?
8. Describe Sa's home?
9. What did Quat create after he traveled to the far edge of the sky?
10. Why might the Eskimo's contribute the creation of pea-pods, and man, to birds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are the gods in the stories omnipotent? Which ones are and which are not? How can you tell? Provide specific examples from the text. Analyze at least three stories in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The story of Karora is an imperfect creation story. What does this mean? Why is the the creation imperfect? Provide examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Often the sun and moon are seen as opposites. One is said to exist before the other.
1) Which stories begin with darkness?
2) Which stories begin with light?
3) Do more stories begin with darkness or with light? Why might this be?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)