|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the first men constructed to be?
2. What did the Fool do with his puppets?
3. Where did the raven take the man when it returned?
4. When did Quat tell his brothers they should sleep?
5. Why did Quat create chirping birds?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the Old Man in chapter five?
2. Why was Sa upset when Alatangana married his daughter?
3. What did Alatangana think about Sa's home?
4. Where the first men alive?
5. What were Alatangana's children like?
6. Quat is the solar god of the Bank Islands. What parts of his story have to do with the sunlight and creation?
7. Why did the raven decide to make the bear?
8. What does the Creator look like in chapter one?
9. Why didn't Quat the Fools puppets turn out like his brother's six puppets?
10. Why did Sa turn down Alatangana's marriage proposal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which stories involve a trickster? What are the characteristics of a trickster? How do things usually end up for the trickster? Give examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The story of Karora is an imperfect creation story. What does this mean? Why is the the creation imperfect? Provide examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How many of the stories have a ruler of death, the dead or the underworld? How were these rulers created? Are they equal to the creator god? Why or why not? How can you tell? Are the rules of the dead fearful gods? Happy gods? Neither? Both? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)