|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a person hear when they are called to death?
2. What did the Old Man tell the mother and child to do on the fourth day?
3. What type of god is the raven?
4. Why did Ra create an endless sea of mud?
5. What is the name of the great mass inside the egg?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the man think about the sheep the raven created?
2. How were Quat and his brothers created in chapter two?
3. What happens to man and the world as time passes in this story?
4. What does the Creator look like in chapter one?
5. Who was Phan Ku?
6. How did Phan Ku's body contribute to the creation of the world?
7. Why did Sa turn down Alatangana's marriage proposal?
8. How did Quat the Fool create death?
9. Describe the first man who fell from a pea pod in chapter one.
10. How did the woman and child come into being?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which stories involve a trickster? What are the characteristics of a trickster? How do things usually end up for the trickster? Give examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How many of the stories have a ruler of death, the dead or the underworld? How were these rulers created? Are they equal to the creator god? Why or why not? How can you tell? Are the rules of the dead fearful gods? Happy gods? Neither? Both? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the creation myths presented in the book begin with water covering the earth. Why do you think this is? How is dry land created in the stories? Why is dry land created in the stories?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)