|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the mother in chapter 2?
2. What was different about six of Alatangana's children?
3. What did the Old Man determine would happen to people?
4. How many years did Phan Ku live?
5. Who made the Earth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the woman want the Old Man to decide?
2. How did the woman and child come into being?
3. Who is the Old Man in chapter five?
4. What happens to man and the world as time passes in this story?
5. Where is the story of the Pea Pod Man from?
6. After Quat was born, he showed himself to be different than his brothers. What did Quat do that made him stand out?
7. What were Alatangana's children like?
8. Why didn't Quat the Fools puppets turn out like his brother's six puppets?
9. What did Quat create after he traveled to the far edge of the sky?
10. Where the first men alive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the stories have animals as main characters. Why is there a common theme about animals? Why might these cultures value animals so highly?
Essay Topic 2
The female characters in these stories fall into two distinct categories: mother and shrew.
1) Which stories feature females as mothers? Are these women considered to be the creator gods?
2) Which stories feature females as shrews? What is often the result of their misbehavior?
What do these myths tell the reader about the role of women in these cultures?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the myths blame the creation of death on an individual or a group of individuals.
1) Which stories blame humankind for death?
2) Which stories blame women for death?
3) Which stories blame another god for death?
What does this say about the culture's attitude towards death. For example: Is it something man is to blame for? Is it something that is out of their control? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)