|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the being inside the universe?
2. When did Quat tell his brothers they should sleep?
3. When did Quat begin thinking of creating man, animals and plants?
4. What is the name of Quat's eleven brothers?
5. How did the drink make him feel inside?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the woman want the Old Man to decide?
2. Quat is the solar god of the Bank Islands. What parts of his story have to do with the sunlight and creation?
3. What did Phan Ku look like?
4. How did Quat the Fool create death?
5. Where the first men alive?
6. What happens to man and the world as time passes in this story?
7. Who is the Old Man in chapter five?
8. What did the man think about the sheep the raven created?
9. How were Quat and his brothers created in chapter two?
10. Describe the first man who fell from a pea pod in chapter one.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the stories deal with fate vs. free will? Are the people created int he different stories under the god(s) control? Do they have free will? Examine at least three of stories in your answer and provide details from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the myths blame the creation of death on an individual or a group of individuals.
1) Which stories blame humankind for death?
2) Which stories blame women for death?
3) Which stories blame another god for death?
What does this say about the culture's attitude towards death. For example: Is it something man is to blame for? Is it something that is out of their control? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The gods in each story have different relationships with man. What are some of the relationships between god and man presented in the stories? Are these positive relationships? Personal relationships?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)