|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the bird turn into?
2. This story spread from Siberia to what country?
3. Who made the Earth?
4. Who made the pea pod?
5. Where did the raven take the man when it returned?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Earth Starter create a lake for the people of the earth?
2. How did Quat the Fool create death?
3. What curse did Sa put on Alatangana's children?
4. What did the woman want the Old Man to decide?
5. Describe the first man who fell from a pea pod in chapter one.
6. Who is the Old Man in chapter five?
7. Why was Sa upset when Alatangana married his daughter?
8. What did the man think about the sheep the raven created?
9. What does the Creator look like in chapter one?
10. How did the woman and child come into being?
Essay Topic 1
How do the stories deal with fate vs. free will? Are the people created int he different stories under the god(s) control? Do they have free will? Examine at least three of stories in your answer and provide details from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast some of the stories of Wulbari (chapter ten) and Nyambi (chapter twelve).
How are the gods similar?
How are the gods different?
Who is Wulbari's nemesis?
Who is Nyambi's nemesis?
What are some similarities between the stories?
What are some differences between the stories?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the Earth Starter myth in chapter seven with the Divine Woman myth in chapter eleven. How are these myths similar? Where are the cultures who tell these myths located? Why might their stories be similar?
This section contains 1,280 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)