|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the first men constructed to be?
2. What did Quat make the first men from?
3. How many people did Quat make?
4. Where did the children go when they grew up?
5. Who did Alatangana turn to for help with his children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first man who fell from a pea pod in chapter one.
2. What did Phan Ku look like?
3. Who was Phan Ku?
4. How did the woman and child come into being?
5. How many gods are responsible for creation in chapter three?
6. Why might the Eskimo's contribute the creation of pea-pods, and man, to birds?
7. Why was Sa upset when Alatangana married his daughter?
8. Why didn't Quat the Fools puppets turn out like his brother's six puppets?
9. Why did the raven create the sheep and other animals?
10. How did Quat the Fool create death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How many of the stories have a ruler of death, the dead or the underworld? How were these rulers created? Are they equal to the creator god? Why or why not? How can you tell? Are the rules of the dead fearful gods? Happy gods? Neither? Both? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the creation myths presented in the book begin with water covering the earth. Why do you think this is? How is dry land created in the stories? Why is dry land created in the stories?
Essay Topic 3
Often the sun and moon are seen as opposites. One is said to exist before the other.
1) Which stories begin with darkness?
2) Which stories begin with light?
3) Do more stories begin with darkness or with light? Why might this be?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)