|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the growth on Eric's head?
2. What kind of salesman is Dave referred to as?
3. What is the famous five's author's name (as written by Lennon)?
4. How is the growth on Eric's head described in "The Fat Growth on Eric Hearble"?
5. What kind of boots does the famous five's uncle wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the plot of "The Fat Growth on Eric Hearble."
2. What did Paul McCartney say of the collection in the Introduction of the book?
3. What does the dentist tell the woman about the state of her teeth in "At the Denis"? What does this prompt her to do?
4. Discuss the use of language in "Randolf's Party" and "The Wrestling Dog." How does Lennon use portmanteau in each?
5. What is the story "At the Denis" about? What genre is this story?
6. Describe the women in the following selections: "Partly Dave," "No Flies on Frank," and "At the Denis." Compare and contrast each.
7. Describe how Lennon uses the illustrations to complement the writings in this book.
8. Where do the flies arrive in "No Flies on Frank"? What does Frank do about them?
9. What is "Good Dog Nigel" about?
10. Describe the essential plot for "Randolf's Party"? What are the characters' actions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the themes which are prevalent in the works of In His Own Write as a whole. Which themes are the most predominant? What examples illustrate this?
Essay Topic 2
What is "All Abord Speeching" about? What is this selection a satire of? How does this example differ when spoken aloud versus when it is read?
Essay Topic 3
Describe "Absurdism" and "Surrealism" as they apply to Lennon's work in the book. What elements of the selections reflect these stylistic elements?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)