|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The famous five "talked Craig and ____ into foing the dirty worj."
2. How tall is Frank's wife in "No Flies on Frank"?
3. What does Randolf get from his dad "who did not live there"?
4. Frank's wife is described as a former what in "No Flies on Frank"?
5. How does Randolf log in "Randolf's Party"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the most notable feature of John Lennon's writing in this collection?
2. Describe the basic plot of the short story "Partly Dave."
3. What did Paul McCartney say of the collection in the Introduction of the book?
4. Who are the main characters in the short story, "Randolf's Party"?
5. What is the story "At the Denis" about? What genre is this story?
6. Define the term "portmanteau" and give examples of this in "At the Denis."
7. Describe the rhyme and meter of the short poem, "Good Dog Nigel."
8. Describe how Lennon uses the illustrations to complement the writings in this book.
9. Who was one of the major influences of John Lennon in terms of writing style? Cite an example from "No Flies on Frank", which shows this.
10. Why does Frank argue with his wife in "No Flies on Frank"? What happens because of this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Lennon's treatment of women, minorities, and the disabled in his selections from the book. Are these satirical? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
Define portmanteau and describe how John Lennon uses it in his works throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Lennon's imagery in the different poems and stories in In His Own Write. What comparisons does the author use, and to what effect? How do these create a more vivid picture of his subjects?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)