|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who fires Eric Hearble in "The Fat Growth on Eric Hearble"?
2. What does Frank refer to his mother-in-law as in "No Flies on Frank"?
3. What does Randolf hang in "Randolf's Party"?
4. Who do the famous five notice getting off the train?
5. What color hair does the famous five's uncle have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare the characters of Eric Hearble and Frank. How are these characters similar? How do they differ?
2. What is the setting of "Randolf's Party"? What imagery is described?
3. Describe the plot of "The Fat Growth on Eric Hearble."
4. Describe how Lennon uses the illustrations to complement the writings in this book.
5. Describe the essential plot for "Randolf's Party"? What are the characters' actions?
6. What did Paul McCartney say of the collection in the Introduction of the book?
7. How does Lennon create the imagery in the story "The Wrestling Dog"? What is the setting?
8. Describe the basic plot of the short story "Partly Dave."
9. What does the dentist tell the woman about the state of her teeth in "At the Denis"? What does this prompt her to do?
10. Describe the women in the following selections: "Partly Dave," "No Flies on Frank," and "At the Denis." Compare and contrast each.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the short play, "Scene three Act one." What characters are in this selection? What is the plot? What is the theme?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Lennon's use of rhyme and meter in his poetry selections from the book. Does Lennon maintain consistency or break from it? How does he use structure to reiterate the poems' themes?
Essay Topic 3
What is the subject of "The Fingletoad Resort of Teddiviscious"? What pop-cultural references does Lennon make in this excerpt?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)