|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of the article titled "The Return of the Native to the Indiana Mill Town"?
(a) Grover Dill.
(c) Miss Bryfogel.
2. The main character grew up in Hohman, but now lives in:
(a) New England.
(c) New York.
3. Who was on hand to help celebrate the "major award"?
(a) Friends and neighbors.
(b) Extended family members.
(c) Just the Parkers.
(d) Ralph's schoolmates.
4. Most people were ___ during the Great Depression?
5. What did Grover Dill do to make Ralph's lip bleed?
(a) He bit Ralph.
(b) He hit Ralph.
(c) He kicked Ralph.
(d) He tripped Ralph.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Ralph smile near the end of the expedition in Chapter 8?
2. The author believes children and parents were tougher back then, proven by the way:
3. How did Ralph describe the "special kid place" to his mother?
4. What does Ralph claim to be several stories high at the fair?
5. What was Grover Dill doing at the bar when Ralph was back in town visiting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ralph an Outsider Looking In during the fishing trip?
2. Why were the movie night contests so important to the people of Hohman?
3. Why does Ralph retell Uncle Ben's joke if he truly did not understand the joke?
4. Why is Ralph paralyzed with fear when he reaches the top of Magic Mountain?
5. What does Ralph like about Treasure Island?
6. Describe the setting in chapters 9 and 10 and why the author chose such vastly different settings.
7. What skills does Wilbur Duckworth display during the final band performance of his high school career?
8. What are the settings in chapters 19 and 20?
9. Why didn't Ralph's parents both share the same feelings about the "major award"?
10. How does Ralph's mother react to the fight?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)