|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How can kids figure out the secret message on the radio show?
(a) By listening to the program every day.
(b) By using a special decoder pin.
(c) By sending in a postcard.
(d) By knowing a secret language.
2. Who is Sandy?
(a) Annie's faithful companion.
(b) The radio show narrator.
(c) Flick's dog.
(d) Ralph's younger sibling.
3. What fascinated Ralph's father in his spare time?
(b) Reading the newspaper.
(c) Puzzles and contests.
(d) Fishing and cooking.
4. Who told the author his dream present was a bad idea because it would harm him?
(a) His mother, his teacher, and Santa.
(b) His teacher, his principal, and his neighbor.
(c) His mother, his teacher, and his best friend.
(d) His father, his mother, and his brother.
5. What is the name of the tavern owner?
(a) The Old Man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ralph describes his date as:
2. How does Ralph's mother feel about the "major award"?
3. How does Ralph get down?
4. How did Ralph obtain membership in the secret club?
5. Why is Ralph disappointed when he finally figures out what the secret message reads?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ralph believe exists inside every male child?
2. Why is Ralph's encounter with the woman at the Automat so important to the story?
3. How does Ralph's mother react to the fight?
4. How important was the "major award" to the Old Man?
5. Why is Ralph's life changed forever after the jawbreaker incident at Pulaski's store?
6. What does the reader learn about the main character in the opening chapter?
7. What have we learned about Ralph and his desires in the first eight chapters?
8. Why were the movie night contests so important to the people of Hohman?
9. Why does Ralph go looking for a book in his parents' room?
10. Why is Ralph paralyzed with fear when he reaches the top of Magic Mountain?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)