|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Most people were ___ during the Great Depression?
2. What did Grover Dill do to make Ralph's lip bleed?
(a) He tripped Ralph.
(b) He kicked Ralph.
(c) He bit Ralph.
(d) He hit Ralph.
3. How did Ralph describe the "special kid place" to his mother?
(a) He said it was fun.
(b) He said it was scary.
(c) He was unable to put it into words.
(d) He said it was too high.
4. How old was Ralph when he had his first "searchlight" moment?
5. What paralyzes Ralph with fear at the top of the "special kid thing"?
(a) Kids are screaming and disappearing into darkness.
(b) Kids are running around with masks.
(c) There is no way back down.
(d) There are adults at the top.
6. Why is Ralph's sporting choice so unusual?
(a) He lives, breathes, and dreams the sport but never gets the chance to participate.
(b) He lives, breathes, and dreams the sport, but his father does not let him participate.
(c) He lives, breathes, and dreams the sport, but his mother does not let him participate.
(d) He lives, breathes, and dreams the sport, but he is not very good.
7. What does Santa tell the author about the present he wants?
(a) "How about some tinker toys?"
(b) "You'll shoot your eye out, kid."
(c) "Happy holidays, kid."
(d) "Good choice for a present, kid."
8. What was the reaction of Ralph's mom to the "special kid thing"?
(a) She was more interested in Ralph's brother.
(b) She was angry it took so long.
(c) She was eager to hear the details.
(d) She was jealous she could not see it for herself.
9. Who was on hand to help celebrate the "major award"?
(a) Extended family members.
(b) Just the Parkers.
(c) Friends and neighbors.
(d) Ralph's schoolmates.
10. Ralph describes his date as:
(a) He did not comment on his date.
(b) The best-looking girl he has ever seen.
(c) Someone with whom he did not have the courage to speak.
(d) The worst-looking girl he has ever seen.
11. Hohman's weather is described as having:
(a) Several thunderstorms each year.
(b) Less rain than other nearby towns.
(c) Lots of snow and lots of rain.
(d) Harsh winters and equally extreme summers.
12. How did the "major award" get broken?
(a) It fell while being cleaned.
(b) It was dropped while being moved to the front window.
(c) It broke when someone changed the light bulb.
(d) It was knocked over when someone was watering plants.
13. Who breaks the "major award"?
(b) Ralph's friend.
(c) Ralph's father.
(d) Ralph's mother.
14. What makes Ralph smile near the end of the expedition in Chapter 8?
(a) Cleaning fish.
(b) The pretty girls at the lake.
(c) Going to sleep after a long trip.
(d) The adults drinking beer and telling dirty jokes.
15. How is Ralph's date behaving?
(a) She talks incessantly.
(b) She is not saying anything.
(c) She is laughing at all of Ralph's jokes.
(d) She is shy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does everyone travel during the blind date?
2. Why was Ralph on a blind date?
3. What is a crappie?
4. What does Ralph's father do when he figures out what the "major award" is?
5. What was the magazine of choice for young boys during Ralph and Flick's childhood?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)