|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ralph's mother find Ralph during his incident with Grover Dill?
(a) Ralph's friend Flick got his mom.
(b) Ralph's brother got his mom.
(c) Ralph's teacher got his mom.
(d) Ralph's friend Schwartz got his mom.
2. What is the name of Ralph's father throughout the book?
(a) The Friendly Bartender.
(b) The Man.
(c) Hairy Gertz.
(d) The Old Man.
3. The author believes children and parents were tougher back then, proven by the way:
(a) The kids always went to school in harsh weather.
(b) The kids never complained about supper.
(c) The kids always worked on the farms.
(d) The kids always did chores outside.
4. What does Ralph think is being built with Lincoln Logs?
(a) Magic Mountain.
(b) Treasure Island.
(c) Fort Bragg.
(d) Fort Sheridan.
5. Hohman's weather is described as having:
(a) Less rain than other nearby towns.
(b) Lots of snow and lots of rain.
(c) Several thunderstorms each year.
(d) Harsh winters and equally extreme summers.
6. What is the name of the tavern owner?
(a) The Old Man.
7. How do Ralph's parents fight about the "major award"?
(a) They stop eating dinner together.
(b) They each open or close the curtain to show off or hide the "major award."
(c) They yell at each other.
(d) They have Ralph choose sides.
8. How does Ralph get down?
(a) He calls his parents for help.
(b) He walks back down the stairs.
(c) The attendant pushes him.
(d) He gets on a ride.
9. Because of the Great Depression, people are in need of:
(a) Free entertainment.
(b) More time to go fishing.
(c) Good advice.
10. Who was the childhood hero displayed in a full-color ad in the back of a magazine in Chapter 2?
(a) Black Bart.
(b) Davy Crockett.
(c) John Wayne.
(d) Red Ryder.
11. Who tells Ralph "Get in there, kid, you're holding up the line"?
(a) His parents.
(b) The Magic Mountain attendant.
(c) The World's Fair police.
(d) The Treasure Island worker.
12. Who is the author of the article titled "The Return of the Native to the Indiana Mill Town"?
(a) Miss Bryfogel.
(c) Grover Dill.
13. How would Ralph describe Grover Dill as a child?
(a) A drop-out.
(b) An athlete.
(c) An intelligent student.
(d) A bully.
14. What was the "major award"?
(a) A lamp in the shape of a leg.
(b) A leg in the shape of a lamp.
(c) A new house.
(d) A bowling alley.
15. What does Ralph's first secret message say?
(a) Be sure to drink Ovaltine.
(b) Be sure to drink milk.
(c) Be sure to eat fruit.
(d) Be sure to eat your vegetables.
Short Answer Questions
1. What teacher makes the class write a theme on Christmas in Chapter 2?
2. Cedar Lake is best described as:
3. What Christmas present does the main character want more than anything during his childhood?
4. Why is Ralph's sporting choice so unusual?
5. What major event is going on in the United States during the main character's childhood?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)