|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The social life in Hohman is described as being in:
(a) Taverns, barber shops, and dance halls.
(b) High school football stadiums.
(c) Marching band grounds.
(d) Bowling halls, union halls, or beer halls.
2. How old was Ralph when he had his first "searchlight" moment?
3. How does Ralph feel when his father pulls up in the driveway when he gets home after his incident with Grover Dill?
(a) He is shaking.
(b) He is proud.
(c) He is terrified.
(d) He is happy.
4. How did Ralph describe the "special kid place" to his mother?
(a) He said it was fun.
(b) He was unable to put it into words.
(c) He said it was scary.
(d) He said it was too high.
5. What were Ralph and his brother doing when Grover Dill came out of nowhere during their childhood?
(a) Playing soccer.
(b) Playing baseball.
(c) Playing football.
(d) Playing kick the can.
6. What was the "major award"?
(a) A new house.
(b) A lamp in the shape of a leg.
(c) A bowling alley.
(d) A leg in the shape of a lamp.
7. What is the "special kid thing" at the World's Fair?
(a) Treasure Island.
(b) Magic Mountain.
(c) Fort Sheridan.
(d) Fort Bragg.
8. What best friend of Ralph is introduced in Chapter 6?
(b) Junie Jo Prewitt.
9. Why is Ralph's sporting choice so unusual?
(a) He lives, breathes, and dreams the sport but never gets the chance to participate.
(b) He lives, breathes, and dreams the sport, but his father does not let him participate.
(c) He lives, breathes, and dreams the sport, but his mother does not let him participate.
(d) He lives, breathes, and dreams the sport, but he is not very good.
10. What was the name of Ralph's favorite radio show?
(a) The Asp Strikes Again.
(b) TM Bar Ralston Show.
(c) Red Ryder Rustles the Range.
(d) Little Orphan Annie.
11. What holiday does the author reflect most on during that first day in Hohman?
12. How would Ralph describe Grover Dill as a child?
(a) A drop-out.
(b) An intelligent student.
(c) An athlete.
(d) A bully.
13. What major event is going on in the United States during the main character's childhood?
(a) The Black Death.
(b) World War I.
(c) The American Civil War.
(d) The Great Depression.
14. What is the relationship between Ralph and Flick?
(a) They were on the same bowling team.
(b) They were good friends during their childhood.
(c) They went to the same college.
(d) They are brothers.
15. How did Ralph obtain membership in the secret club?
(a) He sang the theme song for a radio show.
(b) He filled out an application.
(c) He won a contest.
(d) He covertly obtained a silver Ovaltine seal and mailed it in.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ralph's mother feel about the "major award"?
2. How do Ralph's parents fight about the "major award"?
3. Who is Sandy?
4. Whom does Ralph join on Chapter 8's expedition?
5. As what does Ralph use the "Get in there, kid, you're holding up the line" comment?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)