Chapter 1, Meet Flick the Friendly Bartender
• Ralph Parker, the main character, takes a cab through Hohman, Indiana, as he makes his return to his hometown.
• The cab driver correctly guesses that he is from out of town, as Ralph has since moved to New York.
• Ralph makes observations about Hohman being a simple city filled with mills, plants, freight yards and where people socialize at union halls, beer halls, and pool parlors.
• Ralph goes to Flick's Tavern, a bar now owned by his good childhood friend Flick.
• Ralph explains that he is writing an article titled "The Return of the Native to the Indiana Mill Town."
• The two friends tell stories of their past as Ralph checks out the holiday decorations throughout the tavern.
• The holiday decorations and a story about a woman wearing a button that says "Disarm the Toy Industry" remind Ralph about one of his...
This section contains 3,356 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)