|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements does not describe Jake Casto?
2. What does Pandora threaten to do to Leonardo in Chapter 2 when she finds him with Eve and Mavis?
3. Which of the following statements is not a reason Mavis so cheerful at the beginning of Chapter 8, despite her recent arrest?
4. In the novel's opening line, what does the protagonist say is murder?
5. What does Leonardo say in Chapter 1 will make Eve look like a goddess?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Eve's nightmares and why Eve is terrified of facing memories of her childhood.
2. How does Roarke promise to help Eve clear Mavis in Chapter 7?
3. How does Eve's session with Dr. Mira leave Eve feeling at the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. What incidents in Chapter 2 show Eve's competence as a police officer?
5. What does Pandora threaten to do to Leonardo if he doesn't stop seeing Mavis?
6. What physical evidence implicates Mavis in Pandora's murder and makes it necessary for Eve to arrest her friend?
7. How has Eve's relationship with her superior officer, Commander Whitney, changed since Eve's last case?
8. What is the history of Roarke's relationship with Summerset?
9. How does Eve's relationship with Commander Whitney foreshadow the conflict she encounters while investigating Pandora's murder in Chapter 5?
10. Why does Eve think that Pandora's murder and Boomer's are linked?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of gender role in Immortal in Death. Give examples of how at least three of the following characters exhibit typical or atypical gender role behavior for the era in which the novel is set: Crack, Eve, Leonardo, and Mavis. What do you think the author is trying to say about gender role in 2058 society through these characters? Is she also perhaps trying to say something about gender role in present day society? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss symbolism and metaphor in Immortal in Death. Give three examples of symbolism in the plays in this book and discuss what the symbols are used to convey.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Eve's relationship with Summerset and how it changes or grows during the course of the novel. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)