Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eve use to locate Roarke's whereabouts in the apartment at the beginning of Chapter 10?
2. What do the toxicology reports on Pandora's corpse reveal?
3. What is Eve going shopping for at the beginning of Chapter 1?
4. Why does Mavis want Leonardo to meet with Eve?
5. Which of the following statements does not describe the pool area in Roarke's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Peabody and Casto in Chapter 13 and what does Eve think of the change in her coworkers' relationship?
2. What does Jake Casto do in Chapter 9 to get Eve's cooperation in the murder case and why is Eve unwilling to fully trust Casto?
3. Describe Eve's nightmares and why Eve is terrified of facing memories of her childhood.
4. Why is Eve surprised to find human employees at the Zigzag Club?
5. In Chapter 3, how does Roarke assist Eve with her investigation of Boomer's murder?
6. What is Casto's relationship with Eve?
7. What clears Mavis of murder charges in Chapter 16?
8. Describe Eve's relationship with Roarke.
9. What does Pandora threaten to do to Leonardo if he doesn't stop seeing Mavis?
10. Why does Eve think she should be arrested for murder in Chapter 13 and what does Dr. Mira help her to realize about the killing that so distresses her?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Eve's relationship with Summerset and how it changes or grows during the course of the novel. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Although this novel is primarily a mystery, it contains a romance subplot and a subplot about the heroine's struggle to deal with the memories of the abuse she suffered as a child, and a subplot about the heroine's friendship with Mavis. Discuss how each of the subplots relate to the main plot and how they deepen the characterization of the heroine and depict her growth throughout the course of the novel. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of gender role in Immortal in Death. Give examples of how at least three of the following characters exhibit typical or atypical gender role behavior for the era in which the novel is set: Crack, Eve, Leonardo, and Mavis. What do you think the author is trying to say about gender role in 2058 society through these characters? Is she also perhaps trying to say something about gender role in present day society? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)