|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leonardo do in Eve's office in Chapter 5?
2. Who broke Eve's arm when she was a child?
3. Why does Commander Whitney advise Eve to step down as primary investigator in Pandora's homicide?
4. Who in Chapter 4 claims that Pandora was high on drugs the night she died?
5. Who accompanies Eve to Leonardo's apartment to assist Mavis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Eve approach her interview of Mavis concerning Pandora's murder in Chapter 4 as a cop or as a friend and how does Mavis respond to Eve's approach?
2. What is the history of Roarke's relationship with Summerset?
3. How has Eve's relationship with her superior officer, Commander Whitney, changed since Eve's last case?
4. What physical evidence implicates Mavis in Pandora's murder and makes it necessary for Eve to arrest her friend?
5. Who is Pandora and why does she attack Eve and Mavis in Chapter 2?
6. What incidents in Chapter 2 show Eve's competence as a police officer?
7. What does Jerry Fitzgerald's blue health drink contain and how does this ingredient relate to Pandora's murder?
8. What happens between Peabody and Casto in Chapter 13 and what does Eve think of the change in her coworkers' relationship?
9. How is Eve able to fight off Pandora's killer and keep from becoming another of his victims after being drugged?
10. Why does Eve go to the media about Pandora's murder and why does she go to Nadine Furst?
Essay Topic 1
The idea of looking younger motivates characters in Immortal in Death to take the drug Immortality. Discuss the influence of the entertainment industry in which many of the characters of the novel are involved on their desire to look perpetually young and their willingness to take addictive and potentially fatal drugs in an attempt to do so. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Although this novel is primarily a mystery, it contains a romance subplot and a subplot about the heroine's struggle to deal with the memories of the abuse she suffered as a child, and a subplot about the heroine's friendship with Mavis. Discuss how each of the subplots relate to the main plot and how they deepen the characterization of the heroine and depict her growth throughout the course of the novel. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of gender role in Immortal in Death. Give examples of how at least three of the following characters exhibit typical or atypical gender role behavior for the era in which the novel is set: Crack, Eve, Leonardo, and Mavis. What do you think the author is trying to say about gender role in 2058 society through these characters? Is she also perhaps trying to say something about gender role in present day society? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,996 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)