|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are "Free-Agers"?
2. Where do Eve and Peabody find Jake Casto when they return to the police station after meeting with Dickie Berenski in Chapter 8?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 10, when Eve comes home after her session with Dr. Mira, who does she expect to greet her?
4. What tactic does Eve use to get the report she needs from Dickie Berenski?
5. What security measure is present in the lobby of Boomer's flophouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What testimony does Leonardo give about the night of Pandora's murder?
2. What is the history of Roarke's relationship with Summerset?
3. What does Pandora threaten to do to Leonardo if he doesn't stop seeing Mavis?
4. Why is Eve terrified of marriage?
5. Describe the futuristic world in which Immortal in Death is set.
6. Who is Pandora and why does she attack Eve and Mavis in Chapter 2?
7. How does Eve's session with Dr. Mira leave Eve feeling at the beginning of Chapter 10?
8. How does Roarke promise to help Eve clear Mavis in Chapter 7?
9. Why does Roarke have such a state of the art gym?
10. What do Eve and Peabody find when they search Pandora's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the novel's theme of getting too personally involved in a situation. Include a discussion of the danger Eve faces of getting too personally involved in the investigation of Pandora's murder when her friend Mavis is charged with the crime, a discussion of how Commander Whitney got too personally involved in a previous case, and how Peabody becomes too personally involved with Casto during the murder investigation to see his true character. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Although this novel is primarily a mystery, it contains a romance subplot and a subplot about the heroine's struggle to deal with the memories of the abuse she suffered as a child, and a subplot about the heroine's friendship with Mavis. Discuss how each of the subplots relate to the main plot and how they deepen the characterization of the heroine and depict her growth throughout the course of the novel. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Casto is the antagonist of the novel and Eve is the protagonist of the novel. What character flaws and strengths do you see in each character? How do these flaws and strengths help or hinder the characters in their relationships throughout the course of the novel and in their homicide investigations? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)