|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual to Eve about the employees in Club Zigzag?
2. What are "Free-Agers"?
3. Which fellow police officer does Eve request as her assistant in the investigation of Boomer's murder?
4. What is Justin Young's relationship with Pandora?
5. What does Leonardo do in Eve's office in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mavis call Eve in a panic in the middle of the night at the beginning of Chapter 4?
2. Why is Eve surprised to find human employees at the Zigzag Club?
3. What prompts Eve to make an appointment with the police psychologist?
4. Does Eve approach her interview of Mavis concerning Pandora's murder in Chapter 4 as a cop or as a friend and how does Mavis respond to Eve's approach?
5. What does Pandora threaten to do to Leonardo if he doesn't stop seeing Mavis?
6. Explain how Eve uses physical and scientific evidence to corroborate eyewitness testimony.
7. Why is Mavis calm at breakfast in Chapter 8 despite the fact that a murder charge is hanging over her head?
8. How does Roarke promise to help Eve clear Mavis in Chapter 7?
9. What does Jake Casto do in Chapter 9 to get Eve's cooperation in the murder case and why is Eve unwilling to fully trust Casto?
10. How does Eve get Dickie Berenski to speed up his report on the evidence from Boomer's apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Immortal in Death takes place in New York in 2058. Discuss how the geographical and chronological setting affect the story and how the characters and story might differ if the author had set the novel in present day New York instead. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Although this novel is primarily a mystery, it contains a romance subplot and a subplot about the heroine's struggle to deal with the memories of the abuse she suffered as a child, and a subplot about the heroine's friendship with Mavis. Discuss how each of the subplots relate to the main plot and how they deepen the characterization of the heroine and depict her growth throughout the course of the novel. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the relationships of Mavis and Leonardo, Justin and Jerry, and Peabody and Casto. Do either of the secondary characters' romances mirror that of Eve and Roarke? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)