|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who broke Eve's arm when she was a child?
2. Who posts bail for Mavis?
3. What is Justin Young's profession?
4. Where in Boomer's room do Eve and her partner find a blue powder that turns out to be an illegal substance, i.e. a drug?
5. Who goes with Eve to Boomer's flophouse at the beginning of Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Eve's relationship with her superior officer, Commander Whitney, changed since Eve's last case?
2. What data does Dickie Berenski provide about the unknown substance Eve retrieved from Boomer's apartment?
3. Why is Eve surprised to find human employees at the Zigzag Club?
4. What incidents in Chapter 2 show Eve's competence as a police officer?
5. How does Eve get Dickie Berenski to speed up his report on the evidence from Boomer's apartment?
6. Why does Eve have to treat Mavis with more aggression than a usual suspect?
7. What is Paul Redford's history with Pandora?
8. How does Eve's session with Dr. Mira leave Eve feeling at the beginning of Chapter 10?
9. When Eve and Peabody investigate Boomer's flophouse in Chapter 3, what do they find under his mattress and how does Eve believe this discovery relates to Boomer's murder?
10. How does Eve's relationship with Commander Whitney foreshadow the conflict she encounters while investigating Pandora's murder in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several murders and attempted murders occur in the novel. Discuss the theme of murder in the novel. What are the motivations for the murders and attempted murders? What theme(s) or lesson(s) do you think the author is trying to convey through these incidents? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Casto is the antagonist of the novel and Eve is the protagonist of the novel. What character flaws and strengths do you see in each character? How do these flaws and strengths help or hinder the characters in their relationships throughout the course of the novel and in their homicide investigations? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Immortal in Death takes place in New York in 2058. Discuss how the geographical and chronological setting affect the story and how the characters and story might differ if the author had set the novel in present day New York instead. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)