|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Michel's mother die?
2. Why does Michel prefer to take his walks alone?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 8, to which city does Michel choose to walk?
4. Why do Michel and his wife decide to leave the hotel?
5. Which phrase does Michel use to describe the first time he makes love with his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Marceline's role in Michel's life now that he has fully recovered from tuberculosis?
2. Michel doesn't really know Marceline when they marry. Why does he grow to love and respect his new wife on their honeymoon?
3. How much time does Michel tell his friends has passed since Marceline's death, and where is she buried?
4. What does the fact that Michel accepts a teaching job signify to the story?
5. What changes does autumn bring to Michel in Part 2, Chapter 1?
6. Discuss Michel's life and interests following the death of his mother at age 15.
7. What do Michel's recovery and discoveries, and his plunge into the cold pond symbolize?
8. Is Michel attracted to Alcide? What kinds of things do Michel and Alcide do together?
9. Why does Michel take on a supervisory role when he returns to the family estate?
10. What is Marceline's opinion of Menalque and why?
Essay Topic 1
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevails in The Immoralist? Select a different type of conflict and explain how the story would have differed under that particular type of conflict.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of Charles to the story? How might the novel have differed if he had not been introduced as a minor character?
Essay Topic 3
What religious actions are insinuated when Michel jumps into a cold pond in Part 1? How are these actions important to the story?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)