|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Michel's health improves he still experiences...
2. In Part 1, Chapter 3, Michel returns to the hotel from a walk to find his wife...
3. Who is the protagonist of The Immoralist?
4. What does Michel's wife immediately do when she learns he is sick?
5. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 3, who is Michel's favorite boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Marceline's opinion of Menalque and why?
2. Discuss Michel's actions when he realizes a madman is driving Marceline's carriage.
3. What does Michel have the barber do and why is he startled with the results?
4. After making love for the first time, what emotions does Michel experience?
5. As Michel's interest in boys grows, so do the lies he tells his wife. What does Michel tell his wife he is doing in the shady groves, and what is he really doing when she walks ahead into the sunlight?
6. What does the fact that Michel accepts a teaching job signify to the story?
7. What is Menalque's theory of why Michel let the boy in Biskra steal Marceline's scissors?
8. What changes does autumn bring to Michel in Part 2, Chapter 1?
9. What do Michel's recovery and discoveries, and his plunge into the cold pond symbolize?
10. Is Michel attracted to Alcide? What kinds of things do Michel and Alcide do together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the two examples of situational irony present in the last part of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of tuberculosis in The Immoralist?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)