|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 9, the couple spends several happy days in which town first?
2. What is one obstacle in the relationship between Michel and his wife?
3. What thoughts does Michel have while watching his wife sleep after making love to her the first time?
4. What is the main character's nationality?
5. Why is Michel walking to the city in Part 1, Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Michel decide to move back to the family estate in Part 2, Chapter 3?
2. What does the fact that Michel accepts a teaching job signify to the story?
3. How much time does Michel tell his friends has passed since Marceline's death, and where is she buried?
4. Why does Michel's interest in Charles fade?
5. As Michel's interest in boys grows, so do the lies he tells his wife. What does Michel tell his wife he is doing in the shady groves, and what is he really doing when she walks ahead into the sunlight?
6. When is the novel written and what time period serves as the novel's setting?
7. Describe how Michel spends his days and nights upon returning to Biskra with Marceline.
8. Michel comes to a realization on the ship during his honeymoon travels. What does Michel realize and how does the realization physically affect Michel?
9. What does Michel approve pricey expenditures for and why?
10. What is the importance of the alliteration and repetition used in Part 2, Chapter 1 when the author writes "Autumn is advancing?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of tuberculosis in The Immoralist?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character description of Michel. Is he a major or minor character? Protagonist or antagonist? Support your answer with specific evidence form the story.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character, Michel, and his character development throughout the novel
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)