|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapters 5-7, what do Michel's physical changes mirror?
2. Who are the friends to which Michel confesses?
3. What is one obstacle in the relationship between Michel and his wife?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 8, what does Michel do to the carriage driver?
5. What does Michel ask the barber to do in Part 1, Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. When do Marceline and Michel move to the family estate and who greets them when they arrive?
2. What is Marceline's opinion of Menalque and why?
3. What happens to Marceline's health after losing the baby?
4. Who is the letter written to that outlines the story and who wrote the letter?
5. What two events give Michel and Marceline a feeling of a commitment from their marriage?
6. How does Marceline help in Michel's recovery from tuberculosis?
7. What does Michel begin to notice in his weakened physical condition?
8. Michel and Marceline decide to leave Biskra before the harsh winter weather arrives. What does Michel do on his last night in town and how does he feel?
9. How does the reader know that Michel has no interest initially in the operation of the family estate?
10. Why does Michel decide he and his wife should moved to the family's country estate after accepting a temporary teaching job? Where is the estate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does social class play in The Immoralist? To which social class does Michel belong? To which social class does Menalque belong?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Menalque and Marceline as foils in The Immoralist.
Essay Topic 3
Why doesn't Michel simply divorce Marceline and live the life he secretly wants to lead? What does this tell us about Michel's character or beliefs?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)