|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Michel and his wife shop on their honeymoon?
2. How does Michel greet his friends outside when they arrive at his home?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 7, how does Michel try to act around his wife?
4. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 3, who is Michel's favorite boy?
5. What word or phrase best describes Michel's persona in Part 1, Chapters 5-7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much time does Michel tell his friends has passed since Marceline's death, and where is she buried?
2. What two events give Michel and Marceline a feeling of a commitment from their marriage?
3. Why does Michel want to travel in Part 3?
4. Discuss Michel's pursuit of physical vitality.
5. Is Michel attracted to Alcide? What kinds of things do Michel and Alcide do together?
6. After making love for the first time, what emotions does Michel experience?
7. How does Michel know Marceline's health has taken a turn for the worse and what does he do to help?
8. Michel doesn't really know Marceline when they marry. Why does he grow to love and respect his new wife on their honeymoon?
9. Why does Michel visit Menalque despite Marceline's opinion of the man and her illness the night of the scheduled visit? What does this say about Michel's commitment to his wife?
10. How does Michel deal with Marceline's reaction to his new look?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Menalque and Marceline as foils in The Immoralist.
Essay Topic 2
What is Michel's tone at the beginning and end of the novel? What does the change in tone throughout the novel suggest?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of health throughout the novel.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)