|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Michel find when he returns to the new walking place alone one evening?
2. How does Michel greet his friends outside when they arrive at his home?
3. What two major changes does Michel make to help him toward a full recovery?
4. What is the diagnosis the doctor gives Michel?
5. How does Michel's wife feel about seeing him take action in Part 1, Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Moktir is Michel's favorite boy.
2. What two events give Michel and Marceline a feeling of a commitment from their marriage?
3. Discuss Michel's pursuit of physical vitality.
4. What does Michel begin to notice in his weakened physical condition?
5. What does Michel's honeymoon trip symbolize? Explain why.
6. What is Marceline's role in Michel's life now that he has fully recovered from tuberculosis?
7. How does Michel deal with Marceline's reaction to his new look?
8. What do Michel and Menalque do during their last visit?
9. How does the reader know that Michel has no interest initially in the operation of the family estate?
10. Why does Michel marry Marceline?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does social class play in The Immoralist? To which social class does Michel belong? To which social class does Menalque belong?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss health as a motif in The Immoralist.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character, Michel, and his character development throughout the novel
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)