|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Michel's wife walk ahead in their new walking place?
2. Who witnesses the Arab boy stealing from Michel's room?
3. Why is Michel walking to the city in Part 1, Chapter 8?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 3, Michel returns to the hotel from a walk to find his wife...
5. How does Michel feel about the work he asked the barber to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Michel's recovery and discoveries, and his plunge into the cold pond symbolize?
2. As Michel's interest in boys grows, so do the lies he tells his wife. What does Michel tell his wife he is doing in the shady groves, and what is he really doing when she walks ahead into the sunlight?
3. Why does Michel walk to Positano?
4. Why does Michel visit Menalque despite Marceline's opinion of the man and her illness the night of the scheduled visit? What does this say about Michel's commitment to his wife?
5. What are some of the symptoms of tuberculosis? How does Michel know his condition is serious?
6. Michel feels beautiful, strong, and sensual for the first time. For what possible reasons might he have decided to shave his beard?
7. How do Michel and Charles spend their days?
8. How does Michel spend his time on the night Marceline dies?
9. What does Michel have the barber do and why is he startled with the results?
10. After making love for the first time, what emotions does Michel experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does social class play in The Immoralist? To which social class does Michel belong? To which social class does Menalque belong?
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of tuberculosis in The Immoralist?
Essay Topic 3
How does the use of the first person point of view affect the reader's perception of Michel and his story?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)