|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon accepting the job offered in Part 1, Chapter 9, in which town does Michel decide he and his wife will live?
2. What is Michel really doing as his wife walks ahead at their new walking place?
3. What does Michel rub his body with after jumping into a cold pond?
4. To how many friends does Michel confess?
5. What thoughts does Michel have while watching his wife sleep after making love to her the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Michel walk to Positano?
2. What are two reasons that the small walks that Michel and Marceline take are important in the development of Michel's character in the story?
3. Discuss Michel's actions when he realizes a madman is driving Marceline's carriage.
4. How does Michel know Marceline's health has taken a turn for the worse and what does he do to help?
5. What does Michel learn when he returns home from his visit with Menalque and what is his reaction?
6. Why does Michel want to travel in Part 3?
7. What is Menalque's theory of why Michel let the boy in Biskra steal Marceline's scissors?
8. Explain why Moktir is Michel's favorite boy.
9. What do Michel and Menalque do during their last visit?
10. As Michel's interest in boys grows, so do the lies he tells his wife. What does Michel tell his wife he is doing in the shady groves, and what is he really doing when she walks ahead into the sunlight?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the two examples of situational irony present in the last part of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the character, Michel, and his character development throughout the novel
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)