|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Michel greet his friends once they are inside his house?
2. How is the main character's story introduced in the book?
3. Who witnesses the Arab boy stealing from Michel's room?
4. How old is Michel's wife when they marry?
5. Why does Michel sunbathe nude and explore the craggy area?
Short Essay Questions
1. When do Marceline and Michel move to the family estate and who greets them when they arrive?
2. Who is the letter written to that outlines the story and who wrote the letter?
3. Is Michel attracted to Alcide? What kinds of things do Michel and Alcide do together?
4. Discuss Michel's actions when he realizes a madman is driving Marceline's carriage.
5. Explain why Moktir is Michel's favorite boy.
6. What changes does autumn bring to Michel in Part 2, Chapter 1?
7. Why does Michel marry Marceline?
8. Why does Michel want to travel in Part 3?
9. Why does Michel take on a supervisory role when he returns to the family estate?
10. What do Michel's recovery and discoveries, and his plunge into the cold pond symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of health throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
What role does social class play in The Immoralist? To which social class does Michel belong? To which social class does Menalque belong?
Essay Topic 3
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevails in The Immoralist? Select a different type of conflict and explain how the story would have differed under that particular type of conflict.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)