|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 8, who is driving the carriage in which Michel's wife is riding?
2. When is the last time the friends have all been together?
3. How does Michel receive notification of his job offer in Part 1, Chapter 9?
4. What are Michel's studies that he returns to after his honeymoon?
5. What job is offered to Michel in Part 1, Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Michel and Charles spend their days?
2. Discuss the foreshadowing that appears as a side thought after Michel and Marceline make love for the first time.
3. Michel comes to a realization on the ship during his honeymoon travels. What does Michel realize and how does the realization physically affect Michel?
4. Discuss Michel's life and interests following the death of his mother at age 15.
5. How does Michel spend his time on the night Marceline dies?
6. What is Marceline's role in Michel's life now that he has fully recovered from tuberculosis?
7. Why does Michel suddenly take an interest in the operation of the family estate?
8. Why does Michel decide he and his wife should moved to the family's country estate after accepting a temporary teaching job? Where is the estate?
9. Michel feels beautiful, strong, and sensual for the first time. For what possible reasons might he have decided to shave his beard?
10. Michel and Marceline decide to leave Biskra before the harsh winter weather arrives. What does Michel do on his last night in town and how does he feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss types of figurative language used by the author in The Immoralist.
Essay Topic 3
What role does social class play in The Immoralist? To which social class does Michel belong? To which social class does Menalque belong?
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)