|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gathers to see Michel on his daily walks?
2. What contributes to the delicate health Michel experiences early in the story?
3. What best summarizes the passage Michel read when he couldn't sleep on his last night in Biskra?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 3, Michel's wife introduces him to a new place to walk. What is this place?
5. How long do Michel and his wife stay at the hotel while he recuperates?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Michel's pursuit of physical vitality.
2. Why does Michel summon his friends at the end of the story?
3. Why does Michel decide he and his wife should moved to the family's country estate after accepting a temporary teaching job? Where is the estate?
4. What does Michel's honeymoon trip symbolize? Explain why.
5. What does Michel begin to notice in his weakened physical condition?
6. How does Michel know Marceline's health has taken a turn for the worse and what does he do to help?
7. How do Michel and Charles spend their days?
8. Michel doesn't really know Marceline when they marry. Why does he grow to love and respect his new wife on their honeymoon?
9. What does the fact that Michel accepts a teaching job signify to the story?
10. What is Marceline's role in Michel's life now that he has fully recovered from tuberculosis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Menalque and Marceline as foils in The Immoralist.
Essay Topic 2
What is Michel's tone at the beginning and end of the novel? What does the change in tone throughout the novel suggest?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss health as a motif in The Immoralist.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)