|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Michel realize he's never had a break from his studies?
2. Where does Michel's wife sit on completion of her carriage ride into town in Part 1, Chapter 8?
3. Who introduces Michel to more boys at the new walking place?
4. To how many friends does Michel confess?
5. How does Michel regard his wife's feelings in Part 1, Chapters 5-7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Michel attracted to Alcide? What kinds of things do Michel and Alcide do together?
2. How does Michel know Marceline's health has taken a turn for the worse and what does he do to help?
3. How does Michel feel about his studies after returning from his honeymoon? Why does he feel this way?
4. What does Michel learn when he returns home from his visit with Menalque and what is his reaction?
5. Why does Michel's interest in Charles fade?
6. Why does Michel decide to move back to the family estate in Part 2, Chapter 3?
7. Discuss Michel's life and interests following the death of his mother at age 15.
8. What are two reasons that the small walks that Michel and Marceline take are important in the development of Michel's character in the story?
9. Why does Michel decide he and his wife should moved to the family's country estate after accepting a temporary teaching job? Where is the estate?
10. What does Michel begin to notice in his weakened physical condition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character description of Michel. Is he a major or minor character? Protagonist or antagonist? Support your answer with specific evidence form the story.
Essay Topic 2
Identify and discuss three points of foreshadowing from the novel. Does the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What aspects and experiences of the author's own life might be drawn upon for inspiration in The Immoralist? Explain your answers.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)