Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 3, who is Michel's favorite boy?
2. Why does Michel sunbathe nude and explore the craggy area?
3. Why does Michel pick the location and house he does for their residence during his new job in Part 1, Chapter 9?
4. What is one obstacle in the relationship between Michel and his wife?
5. Where does Michel's wife take him for small walks when he's able to venture out?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Michel marry Marceline?
2. How does the reader know that Michel has no interest initially in the operation of the family estate?
3. What does the fact that Michel accepts a teaching job signify to the story?
4. When do Marceline and Michel move to the family estate and who greets them when they arrive?
5. Michel and Marceline decide to leave Biskra before the harsh winter weather arrives. What does Michel do on his last night in town and how does he feel?
6. Why does Michel take on a supervisory role when he returns to the family estate?
7. What two events give Michel and Marceline a feeling of a commitment from their marriage?
8. What big news does Michel receive while at the family estate, and how does he react to it?
9. Explain why Moktir is Michel's favorite boy.
10. Michel comes to a realization on the ship during his honeymoon travels. What does Michel realize and how does the realization physically affect Michel?
Essay Topic 1
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevails in The Immoralist? Select a different type of conflict and explain how the story would have differed under that particular type of conflict.
Essay Topic 2
What religious actions are insinuated when Michel jumps into a cold pond in Part 1? How are these actions important to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character description of Michel. Is he a major or minor character? Protagonist or antagonist? Support your answer with specific evidence form the story.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)