|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Michel greet his friends outside when they arrive at his home?
2. Who does Michel find when he returns to the new walking place alone one evening?
3. What does Michel tell his wife he is doing while she walks ahead when they visit their new walking place?
4. How does Michel greet his friends once they are inside his house?
5. How does Michel feel about the work he asked the barber to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Moktir is Michel's favorite boy.
2. As Michel's interest in boys grows, so do the lies he tells his wife. What does Michel tell his wife he is doing in the shady groves, and what is he really doing when she walks ahead into the sunlight?
3. What does Michel's honeymoon trip symbolize? Explain why.
4. What is Marceline's role in Michel's life now that he has fully recovered from tuberculosis?
5. Why does Michel want to travel in Part 3?
6. How does the reader know that Michel has no interest initially in the operation of the family estate?
7. What does Michel approve pricey expenditures for and why?
8. Discuss Michel's actions when he realizes a madman is driving Marceline's carriage.
9. How does Michel know Marceline's health has taken a turn for the worse and what does he do to help?
10. Why does Michel take on a supervisory role when he returns to the family estate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why doesn't Michel simply divorce Marceline and live the life he secretly wants to lead? What does this tell us about Michel's character or beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the two examples of situational irony present in the last part of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What role does social class play in The Immoralist? To which social class does Michel belong? To which social class does Menalque belong?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)