|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Michel grow to respect and love his wife during his illness?
2. Why does Michel's wife initially invite the boy to come play in their hotel room?
3. What is the final destination of Michel's honeymoon trip?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 3, Michel's wife introduces him to a new place to walk. What is this place?
5. What startles the boy who comes to play in Michel's hotel room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Michel know Marceline's health has taken a turn for the worse and what does he do to help?
2. Michel feels beautiful, strong, and sensual for the first time. For what possible reasons might he have decided to shave his beard?
3. Why does Michel marry Marceline?
4. What does Michel learn when he returns home from his visit with Menalque and what is his reaction?
5. Michel receives information in the mail about tuberculosis from a friend. After reading that information, what changes does Michel make in his treatment and why?
6. Why does Michel visit Menalque despite Marceline's opinion of the man and her illness the night of the scheduled visit? What does this say about Michel's commitment to his wife?
7. What repulses Michel when he walks in on Marceline nursing an Arab boy in their hotel room? What does this prove regarding Michel's growing interest in boys?
8. What two events give Michel and Marceline a feeling of a commitment from their marriage?
9. How does Michel spend his time on the night Marceline dies?
10. Discuss Michel's life and interests following the death of his mother at age 15.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of tuberculosis in The Immoralist?
Essay Topic 2
Why doesn't Michel simply divorce Marceline and live the life he secretly wants to lead? What does this tell us about Michel's character or beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and discuss three points of foreshadowing from the novel. Does the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)