|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Michel's wife walk ahead in their new walking place?
2. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 7, Michel begins to see his life with...
3. What word or phrase best describes Michel's persona in Part 1, Chapters 5-7?
4. Who is the protagonist of The Immoralist?
5. Why does Michel want to tell his story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the reader know that Michel has no interest initially in the operation of the family estate?
2. Where does Michel begin sleeping in Part 2, Chapter 3, and why?
3. What happens when Marceline asks Michel to pray for her?
4. What is the importance of the alliteration and repetition used in Part 2, Chapter 1 when the author writes "Autumn is advancing?"
5. How does Michel spend his time on the night Marceline dies?
6. What does Michel have the barber do and why is he startled with the results?
7. Why does Michel marry Marceline?
8. Why does Michel take on a supervisory role when he returns to the family estate?
9. Why does Michel walk to Positano?
10. Discuss Michel's pursuit of physical vitality.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Michel's tone at the beginning and end of the novel? What does the change in tone throughout the novel suggest?
Essay Topic 2
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevails in The Immoralist? Select a different type of conflict and explain how the story would have differed under that particular type of conflict.
Essay Topic 3
Michel's conflict is due to his repressed homosexual desires that were very controversial in the late 1800s when the story was set and the early 1900s when the book was actually published. How would The Immoralist be perceived in today's day and time with our culture's standards?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)