|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Michel really doing as his wife walks ahead at their new walking place?
2. Why does Michel grow to respect and love his wife during his illness?
3. What does Michel ask the barber to do in Part 1, Chapter 7?
4. Why is Michel walking to the city in Part 1, Chapter 8?
5. Where do Michel and his wife shop on their honeymoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two events give Michel and Marceline a feeling of a commitment from their marriage?
2. Why does Michel take on a supervisory role when he returns to the family estate?
3. What are some of the symptoms of tuberculosis? How does Michel know his condition is serious?
4. Why does Michel suddenly take an interest in the operation of the family estate?
5. Why does Michel decide to move back to the family estate in Part 2, Chapter 3?
6. Discuss Michel's actions when he realizes a madman is driving Marceline's carriage.
7. Describe how Michel spends his days and nights upon returning to Biskra with Marceline.
8. What does Michel have the barber do and why is he startled with the results?
9. Michel and Marceline decide to leave Biskra before the harsh winter weather arrives. What does Michel do on his last night in town and how does he feel?
10. Where does Michel begin sleeping in Part 2, Chapter 3, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the two examples of situational irony present in the last part of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of tuberculosis in The Immoralist?
Essay Topic 3
Write a character description of Michel. Is he a major or minor character? Protagonist or antagonist? Support your answer with specific evidence form the story.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)