|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Michel's studies that he returns to after his honeymoon?
2. At the end of Part 1, Chapters 5-7, what does the reader learn that Michel's change in attitude and appearance demonstrate?
3. How old is Michel's wife when they marry?
4. How does Michel regard his wife's feelings in Part 1, Chapters 5-7?
5. Upon accepting the job offered in Part 1, Chapter 9, in which town does Michel decide he and his wife will live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two reasons that the small walks that Michel and Marceline take are important in the development of Michel's character in the story?
2. How does Michel spend his time on the night Marceline dies?
3. Michel feels beautiful, strong, and sensual for the first time. For what possible reasons might he have decided to shave his beard?
4. After making love for the first time, what emotions does Michel experience?
5. How does Michel know Marceline's health has taken a turn for the worse and what does he do to help?
6. Why does Michel want to travel in Part 3?
7. Who is the letter written to that outlines the story and who wrote the letter?
8. Why does Michel decide he and his wife should moved to the family's country estate after accepting a temporary teaching job? Where is the estate?
9. What do Michel's recovery and discoveries, and his plunge into the cold pond symbolize?
10. Why does Michel visit Menalque despite Marceline's opinion of the man and her illness the night of the scheduled visit? What does this say about Michel's commitment to his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the primary theme of The Immoralist? How does the author present this theme? How does the theme develop throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character description of Michel. Is he a major or minor character? Protagonist or antagonist? Support your answer with specific evidence form the story.
Essay Topic 3
Identify and discuss three points of foreshadowing from the novel. Does the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)