|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Michel works aggressively toward a full recovery, what does Michel put aside to concentrate more on his physical recovery?
2. When does Michel realize he's never had a break from his studies?
3. Who gathers to see Michel on his daily walks?
4. What is the reason for Michel's feelings toward his studies?
5. At the end of Part 1, Chapters 5-7, what does the reader learn that Michel's change in attitude and appearance demonstrate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Michel's actions when he realizes a madman is driving Marceline's carriage.
2. Why does Michel want to travel in Part 3?
3. What are some of the symptoms of tuberculosis? How does Michel know his condition is serious?
4. How does Marceline feel about her role as Michel's wife by the end of Part 2, and why?
5. Describe how Michel spends his days and nights upon returning to Biskra with Marceline.
6. What do Michel and Menalque do during their last visit?
7. Why does Michel's interest in Charles fade?
8. Why does Michel decide to move back to the family estate in Part 2, Chapter 3?
9. Why does Michel decide he and his wife should moved to the family's country estate after accepting a temporary teaching job? Where is the estate?
10. When do Michel and Marceline consummate their marriage? Give an approximate time frame from the date of their marriage.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss health as a motif in The Immoralist.
Essay Topic 2
Identify and discuss three points of foreshadowing from the novel. Does the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Menalque and Marceline as foils in The Immoralist.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)