Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which house will Michel and his wife live in when he starts his new job?
2. Who gathers to see Michel on his daily walks?
3. To how many friends does Michel confess?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 3, Michel returns to the hotel from a walk to find his wife...
5. What makes Michel realize his illness is getting serious during his honeymoon trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Menalque's theory of why Michel let the boy in Biskra steal Marceline's scissors?
2. Why does Michel take on a supervisory role when he returns to the family estate?
3. Discuss Michel's pursuit of physical vitality.
4. Describe how Michel spends his days and nights upon returning to Biskra with Marceline.
5. What do Michel's recovery and discoveries, and his plunge into the cold pond symbolize?
6. How does Marceline help in Michel's recovery from tuberculosis?
7. What is Marceline's opinion of Menalque and why?
8. What does Michel have the barber do and why is he startled with the results?
9. What are two reasons that the small walks that Michel and Marceline take are important in the development of Michel's character in the story?
10. How does Michel deal with Marceline's reaction to his new look?
What is the difference between conflict and crisis in a novel? How are they similar?
Michel's conflict is due to his repressed homosexual desires that were very controversial in the late 1800s when the story was set and the early 1900s when the book was actually published. How would The Immoralist be perceived in today's day and time with our culture's standards?
What is the significance of Charles to the story? How might the novel have differed if he had not been introduced as a minor character?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)