|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 9, why does Michel doubt his ability to take good care of his wife?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 8, who completes driving the carriage into town?
3. Where do Michel and his wife shop on their honeymoon?
4. Why do Michel and his wife decide to leave the hotel?
5. What best summarizes the passage Michel read when he couldn't sleep on his last night in Biskra?
Short Essay Questions
1. How much time does Michel tell his friends has passed since Marceline's death, and where is she buried?
2. What is Menalque's theory of why Michel let the boy in Biskra steal Marceline's scissors?
3. Why does Michel decide he and his wife should moved to the family's country estate after accepting a temporary teaching job? Where is the estate?
4. What does Michel begin to notice in his weakened physical condition?
5. When he was bedridden, Michel appreciated Marceline's attentive care. Now that he's better, he prefers to go for walks without her. Explain why.
6. What repulses Michel when he walks in on Marceline nursing an Arab boy in their hotel room? What does this prove regarding Michel's growing interest in boys?
7. What does Michel's honeymoon trip symbolize? Explain why.
8. What happens when Marceline asks Michel to pray for her?
9. How does Marceline feel about her role as Michel's wife by the end of Part 2, and why?
10. Where does Michel begin sleeping in Part 2, Chapter 3, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What aspects and experiences of the author's own life might be drawn upon for inspiration in The Immoralist? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of health throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write a character description of Michel. Is he a major or minor character? Protagonist or antagonist? Support your answer with specific evidence form the story.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)