|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Michel's wife walk ahead in their new walking place?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 8, who is driving the carriage in which Michel's wife is riding?
3. As Michel works aggressively toward a full recovery, what does Michel put aside to concentrate more on his physical recovery?
4. Why does Michel pick the location and house he does for their residence during his new job in Part 1, Chapter 9?
5. As Michel's health improves he still experiences...
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Michel's honeymoon trip symbolize? Explain why.
2. What is ironic about Michel's decision to stay at the family estate while pursuing his academic interests?
3. What is Menalque's theory of why Michel let the boy in Biskra steal Marceline's scissors?
4. When do Michel and Marceline consummate their marriage? Give an approximate time frame from the date of their marriage.
5. What changes does autumn bring to Michel in Part 2, Chapter 1?
6. Why does Michel take on a supervisory role when he returns to the family estate?
7. What happens when Marceline asks Michel to pray for her?
8. What are two reasons that the small walks that Michel and Marceline take are important in the development of Michel's character in the story?
9. What two events give Michel and Marceline a feeling of a commitment from their marriage?
10. How does Michel know Marceline's health has taken a turn for the worse and what does he do to help?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevails in The Immoralist? Select a different type of conflict and explain how the story would have differed under that particular type of conflict.
Essay Topic 2
What is Michel's tone at the beginning and end of the novel? What does the change in tone throughout the novel suggest?
Essay Topic 3
Why doesn't Michel simply divorce Marceline and live the life he secretly wants to lead? What does this tell us about Michel's character or beliefs?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)