|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michel study during his scholarly life?
2. What makes Michel realize his illness is getting serious during his honeymoon trip?
3. Why does Michel's wife initially invite the boy to come play in their hotel room?
4. How old is Michel's wife when they marry?
5. What does Michel's wife do while he is sick?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the letter written to that outlines the story and who wrote the letter?
2. Why does Michel visit Menalque despite Marceline's opinion of the man and her illness the night of the scheduled visit? What does this say about Michel's commitment to his wife?
3. Discuss Michel's actions when he realizes a madman is driving Marceline's carriage.
4. What does Michel begin to notice in his weakened physical condition?
5. Why does Michel summon his friends at the end of the story?
6. How does Marceline feel about her role as Michel's wife by the end of Part 2, and why?
7. When do Michel and Marceline consummate their marriage? Give an approximate time frame from the date of their marriage.
8. Why does Michel marry Marceline?
9. When he was bedridden, Michel appreciated Marceline's attentive care. Now that he's better, he prefers to go for walks without her. Explain why.
10. Why does Michel suddenly take an interest in the operation of the family estate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the two examples of situational irony present in the last part of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
What aspects and experiences of the author's own life might be drawn upon for inspiration in The Immoralist? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Michel's conflict is due to his repressed homosexual desires that were very controversial in the late 1800s when the story was set and the early 1900s when the book was actually published. How would The Immoralist be perceived in today's day and time with our culture's standards?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)