|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 8, who completes driving the carriage into town?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 8, what does Michel do to the carriage driver?
3. What does Michel's wife think about her husband's new persona?
4. What does Michel tell his wife he is doing while she walks ahead when they visit their new walking place?
5. Who gathers to see Michel on his daily walks?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Michel's interest in boys grows, so do the lies he tells his wife. What does Michel tell his wife he is doing in the shady groves, and what is he really doing when she walks ahead into the sunlight?
2. What is the importance of the alliteration and repetition used in Part 2, Chapter 1 when the author writes "Autumn is advancing?"
3. Michel comes to a realization on the ship during his honeymoon travels. What does Michel realize and how does the realization physically affect Michel?
4. After making love for the first time, what emotions does Michel experience?
5. How does Michel deal with Marceline's reaction to his new look?
6. How does Michel know Marceline's health has taken a turn for the worse and what does he do to help?
7. Why does Michel decide to move back to the family estate in Part 2, Chapter 3?
8. What happens when Marceline asks Michel to pray for her?
9. Who is the letter written to that outlines the story and who wrote the letter?
10. Why does Michel marry Marceline?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and discuss three points of foreshadowing from the novel. Does the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What aspects and experiences of the author's own life might be drawn upon for inspiration in The Immoralist? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What role does social class play in The Immoralist? To which social class does Michel belong? To which social class does Menalque belong?
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)