|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 3, Michel returns to the hotel from a walk to find his wife...
2. Where do Michel and his wife shop on their honeymoon?
3. At the end of Part 1, Chapters 5-7, what does the reader learn that Michel's change in attitude and appearance demonstrate?
4. With his new attitude at the end of Part 1, Chapters 5-7, how does Michel view each day?
5. What does Michel ask the barber to do in Part 1, Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Michel begin sleeping in Part 2, Chapter 3, and why?
2. How much time does Michel tell his friends has passed since Marceline's death, and where is she buried?
3. What are two reasons that the small walks that Michel and Marceline take are important in the development of Michel's character in the story?
4. What does Michel's honeymoon trip symbolize? Explain why.
5. Why does Michel take on a supervisory role when he returns to the family estate?
6. Michel feels beautiful, strong, and sensual for the first time. For what possible reasons might he have decided to shave his beard?
7. Why does Michel's interest in Charles fade?
8. What does the fact that Michel accepts a teaching job signify to the story?
9. What does Michel learn when he returns home from his visit with Menalque and what is his reaction?
10. Explain why Moktir is Michel's favorite boy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss health as a motif in The Immoralist.
Essay Topic 2
What religious actions are insinuated when Michel jumps into a cold pond in Part 1? How are these actions important to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of health throughout the novel.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)