|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the diagnosis the doctor gives Michel?
2. Why does Michel sunbathe nude and explore the craggy area?
3. What does one of the Arab boys steal from Michel's hotel room?
4. What does Michel's wife immediately do when she learns he is sick?
5. Why does Michel pick the location and house he does for their residence during his new job in Part 1, Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Michel feels beautiful, strong, and sensual for the first time. For what possible reasons might he have decided to shave his beard?
2. Why does Michel marry Marceline?
3. What is ironic about Michel's decision to stay at the family estate while pursuing his academic interests?
4. What happens when Marceline asks Michel to pray for her?
5. What two events give Michel and Marceline a feeling of a commitment from their marriage?
6. Why does Michel's interest in Charles fade?
7. Why does Michel walk to Positano?
8. Where does Michel begin sleeping in Part 2, Chapter 3, and why?
9. Is Michel attracted to Alcide? What kinds of things do Michel and Alcide do together?
10. Discuss Michel's pursuit of physical vitality.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why doesn't Michel simply divorce Marceline and live the life he secretly wants to lead? What does this tell us about Michel's character or beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Menalque and Marceline as foils in The Immoralist.
Essay Topic 3
What religious actions are insinuated when Michel jumps into a cold pond in Part 1? How are these actions important to the story?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)