|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which institution offers the job to Michel in Part 1, Chapter 9?
2. Who witnesses the Arab boy stealing from Michel's room?
3. Where do Michel and his wife shop on their honeymoon?
4. Where does Michel's wife take him for small walks when he's able to venture out?
5. How does Michel regard his wife's feelings in Part 1, Chapters 5-7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Michel's decision to stay at the family estate while pursuing his academic interests?
2. What does Michel have the barber do and why is he startled with the results?
3. What does Michel learn when he returns home from his visit with Menalque and what is his reaction?
4. How does Michel know Marceline's health has taken a turn for the worse and what does he do to help?
5. Why does Michel walk to Positano?
6. What happens to Marceline's health after losing the baby?
7. Is Michel attracted to Alcide? What kinds of things do Michel and Alcide do together?
8. What does Michel's honeymoon trip symbolize? Explain why.
9. How does Michel spend his time on the night Marceline dies?
10. Where does Michel begin sleeping in Part 2, Chapter 3, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of health throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the two examples of situational irony present in the last part of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Why doesn't Michel simply divorce Marceline and live the life he secretly wants to lead? What does this tell us about Michel's character or beliefs?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)