|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Michel love his wife?
(a) He tries to.
(b) No, he thinks she is weak.
(c) Yes, with all his heart.
(d) No, she has angered him for the last time.
2. While Marceline is sick in Part 2, Chapter 2, Michel chooses to visit...
3. How does Michel feel about Marceline's news?
(a) He feels a new tenderness toward her.
(b) He avoids her.
(c) He wants her to leave the house.
(d) He tells her to leave France.
4. In Part 2, Chapter 3, where does Michel prefer to sleep?
(a) At a hotel.
(b) On the floor.
(c) In his bed.
(d) In the barn.
5. Why does Michel decide to start supervising the work crews?
(a) Because he fired Bocage.
(b) So he can gaze at the men.
(c) So he can show Bocage how he wants the estate run.
(d) Because he lost his teaching job.
6. What do Michel and his friend do during their visit?
(a) Think of ways for Michel to leave his wife.
(b) Stay up all night drinking wine and talking.
(c) Tour the family estate one last time.
(d) Walk together in a shady park.
7. The author uses a sentence twice: "The autumn was advancing." This technique creates a sense of urgency. The technique is called...
8. What new hobby does Michel develop after returning to the family's country estate?
(b) He likes to feed the animals.
(c) Collecting spring insects.
(d) He likes to watch the workers.
9. At their spring home, why does Michel leave his wife to take walks?
(a) Her health has improved and he can leave her alone for a short time.
(b) He has been neglecting his own exercise.
(c) Someone else is there to take care of her.
(d) To get away so his wife won't see him cry.
10. Who returns a stolen item to Michel?
11. How many men are sent to clear out some of the trees on the family estate?
12. Who coughs up blood in Part 3?
13. In what month does Part 2, Chapter 1 begin?
14. What does the last traveler to Biskra learn about Michel there?
(a) That Michel stole something from a boy in the park.
(b) Michel liked going to the park alone and liked spending time with the boys instead of his wife.
(c) That he had contracted a venereal disease there and took a long time to recuperate.
(d) That Michel was there alone for a short vacation.
15. When nursing Marceline back to health, when does Michel leave her side?
(a) To go for walks in the nearby shady grove.
(b) Only when he must lecture at the college.
(c) Whenever he wants to see his friend.
(d) Every chance he gets.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Michel approve the expenditures for furnishings in Part 2, Chapter 2?
2. Michel befriends another of Bocage's sons. What is his name?
3. Where does Michel spend most of his night after leaving the Moorish cafe?
4. How much money does Michel spend on furnishing his new dwelling?
5. Which is an example of simile?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)