|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Michel no longer attracted to Charles?
(a) Because Charles has let his hair grow out.
(b) He doesn'l like his mustache.
(c) Because he is not as muscular as before.
(d) Because he seems more noble and less like a peasant.
2. Why does Michel become interested in the management of the estate?
(a) Because he wants to sell the property.
(b) Because Marceline is.
(c) Because Charles is.
(d) Because he wants to increase his wealth.
3. Who is Charles' father?
4. Who has convulsions?
5. While Marceline is sick in Part 2, Chapter 2, Michel chooses to visit...
6. Why does Michel get angry with Bocage?
(a) Bocage told him to mind his own business.
(b) Bocage made a pass at Marceline.
(c) Bocage fired a man that Michel was attracted to.
(d) For no reason.
7. When nursing Marceline back to health, when does Michel leave her side?
(a) Only when he must lecture at the college.
(b) Every chance he gets.
(c) Whenever he wants to see his friend.
(d) To go for walks in the nearby shady grove.
8. What does the caretaker try to explain to Michel?
(a) The estate and tenant farm operations.
(b) How to budget for the estate.
(c) How to harvest the crops and fruit.
(d) How to plant the crops.
9. Michel befriends another of Bocage's sons. What is his name?
10. How does Michel think travel will affect his wife?
(a) It will make her stronger.
(b) The exertion will likely kill her.
(c) It will be a nice treat.
(d) It will improve her health.
11. Why does Michel decide to start supervising the work crews?
(a) Because he lost his teaching job.
(b) So he can gaze at the men.
(c) Because he fired Bocage.
(d) So he can show Bocage how he wants the estate run.
12. Why does Michel approve the expenditures for furnishings in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) To make his wife happy.
(b) He hopes it will curb his impulses to wander.
(c) He was bullied into it by his brother-in-law.
(d) To impress Charles.
13. Who dies in Part 3?
14. Which boy -- now a man-- is still attractive to Michel?
15. Which is an example of alliteration?
(a) "The nights melted."
(b) "Autumn was kicking summer out the door."
(c) "The leaves drift aimlessly."
(d) "The autumn was advancing."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who returns a stolen item to Michel?
2. Which two friends are both irreverent and disdainful of Parisian society?
3. Why does Marceline immediately dislike Michel's new friend in Part 2, Chapter 2?
4. Where does Michel spend most of his night after leaving the Moorish cafe?
5. What distracts Michel once he begins concentrating on his academics again?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)