|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who pleads for the person to stay instead of leaving the family estate in the autumn?
2. Who is poaching at Michel's family estate?
(a) Alcide and Marceline.
(b) Charles and Michel.
(c) Alcide and Michel.
(d) Bocage and Michel.
3. Why is Michel no longer attracted to Charles?
(a) Because Charles has let his hair grow out.
(b) Because he seems more noble and less like a peasant.
(c) He doesn'l like his mustache.
(d) Because he is not as muscular as before.
4. Which is an example of simile?
(a) "Night melted into morning."
(b) "The days were yoked to the days and the slightest emotion could be read on Marceline's face."
(c) "Just as a breath of wind sometimes ripples smooth water, the slightest emotion could be read on Marceline's face."
(d) "The autumn was advancing."
5. What is "poaching?"
6. Who denies the request to have the person stay on at the estate instead of leaving in the autumn?
7. What kind of housing do Michel and his wife choose when they move in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) They live with his wife's brother.
(b) The family estate.
(c) An apartment.
(d) An old castle.
8. Where has the 18-year-old man (in Part 2, Chapter 1) been working before returning to Michel's family estate?
(a) At an animal treatment facility.
(b) In a church.
(c) At an experimental farm.
(d) In a commune.
9. How does Michel feel about Marceline's news?
(a) He wants her to leave the house.
(b) He avoids her.
(c) He feels a new tenderness toward her.
(d) He tells her to leave France.
10. In what month does Part 2, Chapter 1 begin?
11. What new hobby does Michel develop after returning to the family's country estate?
(a) Collecting spring insects.
(b) He likes to watch the workers.
(d) He likes to feed the animals.
12. What happens to Marceline while Michel is visiting his friend?
(a) She faints.
(b) She goes into premature labor and the baby dies.
(c) She gets very sick and dies.
(d) She is angry that Michel left to visit a friend so she packs her stuff and leaves.
13. Why isn't Michel attracted to Charles' brother?
(a) Because he is ugly.
(b) Because he has curly hair.
(c) Because he is too old.
(d) Because he is too young.
14. Why does Michel become interested in the management of the estate?
(a) Because he wants to increase his wealth.
(b) Because Charles is.
(c) Because Marceline is.
(d) Because he wants to sell the property.
15. Is Michel interested in what the caretaker tries to explain?
(a) No, and he tells the man to never mind.
(b) Yes, he appreciates the man's time.
(c) Yes, but he doesn't comprehend it easily.
(d) No, but he pretends to be so he won't hurt the man's feelings.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who expresses concern about the expenditures of the new furnishings in Part 2, Chapter 2?
2. Which is an example of alliteration?
3. Why do Michel and his wife choose to move in the spring?
4. In Part 3, which hotel do Michel and Marceline stay in upon reaching their final destination?
5. Where do Michel and Marceline's travels take them in Part 3?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)