|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Michel and his wife choose to move in the spring?
(a) They want to get away to another country.
(b) So someone else can take care of Marceline.
(c) They think the social life will boost Marceline's spirits.
(d) They hope the fresh air will help Marceline's recovery.
2. What does the caretaker try to explain to Michel?
(a) How to budget for the estate.
(b) The estate and tenant farm operations.
(c) How to harvest the crops and fruit.
(d) How to plant the crops.
3. Who has been assigned a diplomatic duty in another country?
4. How does Michel sum up his thoughts on his marriage?
(a) It is "rest for a man who is not tired."
(b) It is "the next best thing."
(c) It is "like being hunted and trapped."
(d) It is "bliss."
5. When does Michel walk away from Marceline?
(a) When she tells him she doesn't love him.
(b) When she asks him to pray for her.
(c) When she tells him she knows his secret.
(d) When she yells at him.
6. What happens to Marceline while Michel is visiting his friend?
(a) She gets very sick and dies.
(b) She goes into premature labor and the baby dies.
(c) She is angry that Michel left to visit a friend so she packs her stuff and leaves.
(d) She faints.
7. Where has the 18-year-old man (in Part 2, Chapter 1) been working before returning to Michel's family estate?
(a) At an animal treatment facility.
(b) At an experimental farm.
(c) In a commune.
(d) In a church.
8. According to Michel's friend in Part 2, Chapter 2, having possessions gives a man...
(a) Something to pay more taxes on.
(b) A sense of security.
(c) A false sense of security.
(d) Something to be proud of.
9. Michel befriends another of Bocage's sons. What is his name?
10. Who is poaching at Michel's family estate?
(a) Charles and Michel.
(b) Alcide and Marceline.
(c) Alcide and Michel.
(d) Bocage and Michel.
11. While Marceline is sick in Part 2, Chapter 2, Michel chooses to visit...
12. Who dies in Part 3?
13. What distracts Michel once he begins concentrating on his academics again?
(a) The work of harvesting the crops and fruit trees.
(b) Planting the fall crops and fruit trees.
(c) The opulence and sensuality of the ripening crops and fruit trees.
14. How does Michel spend most of his days after learning Marceline's news?
(a) He spends time alone in the fields.
(b) He spends time at school.
(c) He spends almost every minute by her side.
(d) He does not change his routine at all.
15. What is the name of the18-year-old man Michel meets in Part 2, Chapter 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. At their spring home, why does Michel leave his wife to take walks?
2. Which character believes that each joy and sorrow must be abandoned immediately to make room for the next new thing?
3. Why does the person leave the family estate in autumn?
4. Which boy -- now a man-- is still attractive to Michel?
5. Where does Michel spend most of his night after leaving the Moorish cafe?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)