|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What activities do Michel and his new male friend enjoy together in Part 2, Chapter 1?
(a) Inspecting crops, creating fruit hybrids, and riding horses.
(b) Inspecting fields, riding horses, discussing property changes.
(c) Gardening, supervising work crews, riding horses.
(d) Riding horses, inspecting orchards and crops.
2. What new hobby does Michel develop after returning to the family's country estate?
(a) He likes to watch the workers.
(b) He likes to feed the animals.
(d) Collecting spring insects.
3. What is "poaching?"
4. How does Michel resolve the jealousy?
(a) He promises not to see the prostitute anymore and invites the jealous person to his bed.
(b) He starts seeing the prostitute in a different location.
(c) He tells the jealous person that he'll do what he wants to do.
(d) He gives the jealous person money to "forget" about it.
5. How does Michel think travel will affect his wife?
(a) It will make her stronger.
(b) It will improve her health.
(c) The exertion will likely kill her.
(d) It will be a nice treat.
6. Where has the 18-year-old man (in Part 2, Chapter 1) been working before returning to Michel's family estate?
(a) At an experimental farm.
(b) In a church.
(c) At an animal treatment facility.
(d) In a commune.
7. According to Michel's friend in Part 2, Chapter 2, having possessions gives a man...
(a) A false sense of security.
(b) Something to pay more taxes on.
(c) Something to be proud of.
(d) A sense of security.
8. Why does Michel seek the help of his friends?
(a) He needs help making travel arrangements.
(b) He has no more money left.
(c) He is being tried for murder and needs them as character witnesses.
(d) He can't decide on his next course of action and he needs to confess.
9. When nursing Marceline back to health, when does Michel leave her side?
(a) Only when he must lecture at the college.
(b) To go for walks in the nearby shady grove.
(c) Whenever he wants to see his friend.
(d) Every chance he gets.
10. What happens to Marceline while Michel is visiting his friend?
(a) She gets very sick and dies.
(b) She goes into premature labor and the baby dies.
(c) She faints.
(d) She is angry that Michel left to visit a friend so she packs her stuff and leaves.
11. What does the caretaker try to explain to Michel?
(a) How to plant the crops.
(b) How to budget for the estate.
(c) The estate and tenant farm operations.
(d) How to harvest the crops and fruit.
12. Which is an example of simile?
(a) "The autumn was advancing."
(b) "The days were yoked to the days and the slightest emotion could be read on Marceline's face."
(c) "Just as a breath of wind sometimes ripples smooth water, the slightest emotion could be read on Marceline's face."
(d) "Night melted into morning."
13. Whose homosexual tendencies are surfacing stronger in Part 2, Chapter 1?
14. Who is Charles' father?
15. Who coughs up blood in Part 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, which hotel do Michel and Marceline stay in upon reaching their final destination?
2. What city do Michel and his wife move to in Part 2, Chapter 2?
3. Who runs errands for Michel every day?
4. Who catches Michel and the prostitute in bed and gets jealous?
5. Which character believes that each joy and sorrow must be abandoned immediately to make room for the next new thing?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)