|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who expresses concern about the expenditures of the new furnishings in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(b) Michel's brother-in-law.
2. Why isn't Michel attracted to Charles' brother?
(a) Because he is too young.
(b) Because he is too old.
(c) Because he has curly hair.
(d) Because he is ugly.
3. What is "poaching?"
4. Who returns a stolen item to Michel?
5. At their spring home, why does Michel leave his wife to take walks?
(a) He has been neglecting his own exercise.
(b) Her health has improved and he can leave her alone for a short time.
(c) To get away so his wife won't see him cry.
(d) Someone else is there to take care of her.
6. Which friend does Michel see when leaving his classroom one day?
7. In Part 2, Chapter 3, where does Michel prefer to sleep?
(a) In his bed.
(b) At a hotel.
(c) On the floor.
(d) In the barn.
8. What impacts Michel's feelings about the social activities of their life in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) He was embarassed by Marceline at one gathering.
(b) The inane conversations and trivial commitments.
(c) He is money-hungry and loves the attention.
(d) He has never liked socializing.
9. How does Michel spend most of his days after learning Marceline's news?
(a) He spends time at school.
(b) He spends almost every minute by her side.
(c) He spends time alone in the fields.
(d) He does not change his routine at all.
10. Which two friends are both irreverent and disdainful of Parisian society?
(a) Charles and Bocage.
(b) Michel and Charles.
(c) Menalque and Michel.
(d) Charles and Motkir.
11. Where has the 18-year-old man (in Part 2, Chapter 1) been working before returning to Michel's family estate?
(a) At an experimental farm.
(b) In a church.
(c) In a commune.
(d) At an animal treatment facility.
12. What is the time span between the death in Part 3 and the meeting of Michel with his friends?
(a) Three days.
(b) Three months.
(c) Three years.
(d) Three weeks.
13. What impacts Marceline's feelings about the social activities of their life in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) She is money-hungry and loves the attention.
(b) Her pregnacy and recent move make her tired.
(c) She has never liked socializing.
(d) She was embarassed by Michel at one gathering.
14. How does Michel feel about Marceline's news?
(a) He tells her to leave France.
(b) He feels a new tenderness toward her.
(c) He wants her to leave the house.
(d) He avoids her.
15. Why do Michel and his wife choose to move in the spring?
(a) They hope the fresh air will help Marceline's recovery.
(b) They think the social life will boost Marceline's spirits.
(c) So someone else can take care of Marceline.
(d) They want to get away to another country.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Michel and his wife feel about the social activities at their home in Part 2, Chapter 2?
2. What news does Marceline share after arriving at the family estate?
3. What interest does Michel have in Charles in Part 2, Chapter 1?
4. Where is El Kantara located?
5. What does Michel think when the prostitute tells him why she thinks he stays in Tunis?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)