|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who pleads for the person to stay instead of leaving the family estate in the autumn?
2. Who has been assigned a diplomatic duty in another country?
3. What impacts Michel's feelings about the social activities of their life in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) He was embarassed by Marceline at one gathering.
(b) He is money-hungry and loves the attention.
(c) He has never liked socializing.
(d) The inane conversations and trivial commitments.
4. At their spring home, why does Michel leave his wife to take walks?
(a) He has been neglecting his own exercise.
(b) To get away so his wife won't see him cry.
(c) Her health has improved and he can leave her alone for a short time.
(d) Someone else is there to take care of her.
5. Who attends an open house hosted by Michel and his wife in Part 2, Chapter 2?
6. What news does Marceline share after arriving at the family estate?
(a) She is sick.
(b) She hates France.
(c) She wants to leave.
(d) She is pregnant.
7. What is the name of the18-year-old man Michel meets in Part 2, Chapter 1?
8. What is the stolen item that is returned to Michel?
9. Is Michel interested in what the caretaker tries to explain?
(a) No, and he tells the man to never mind.
(b) No, but he pretends to be so he won't hurt the man's feelings.
(c) Yes, but he doesn't comprehend it easily.
(d) Yes, he appreciates the man's time.
10. What does the caretaker try to explain to Michel?
(a) How to harvest the crops and fruit.
(b) How to plant the crops.
(c) The estate and tenant farm operations.
(d) How to budget for the estate.
11. Why does Michel get angry with Bocage?
(a) Bocage made a pass at Marceline.
(b) For no reason.
(c) Bocage fired a man that Michel was attracted to.
(d) Bocage told him to mind his own business.
12. What happens to Marceline while Michel is visiting his friend?
(a) She faints.
(b) She goes into premature labor and the baby dies.
(c) She gets very sick and dies.
(d) She is angry that Michel left to visit a friend so she packs her stuff and leaves.
13. Who is the long-time caretaker of the family estate?
14. Why does Michel decide to start supervising the work crews?
(a) Because he lost his teaching job.
(b) So he can show Bocage how he wants the estate run.
(c) Because he fired Bocage.
(d) So he can gaze at the men.
15. Why does Michel seek the help of his friends?
(a) He can't decide on his next course of action and he needs to confess.
(b) He has no more money left.
(c) He is being tried for murder and needs them as character witnesses.
(d) He needs help making travel arrangements.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the time span between the death in Part 3 and the meeting of Michel with his friends?
2. Why does Michel approve the expenditures for furnishings in Part 2, Chapter 2?
3. What is "poaching?"
4. Who meets Michel and his wife when they arrive at the family estate?
5. How does Michel sum up his thoughts on his marriage?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)