|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many men are sent to clear out some of the trees on the family estate?
2. At their spring home, why does Michel leave his wife to take walks?
(a) To get away so his wife won't see him cry.
(b) Someone else is there to take care of her.
(c) Her health has improved and he can leave her alone for a short time.
(d) He has been neglecting his own exercise.
3. What is "poaching?"
4. Who coughs up blood in Part 3?
5. Which boy -- now a man-- is still attractive to Michel?
6. What makes Marceline feel that she is dispensable to Michel?
(a) He tells her that she is.
(b) His impassive stare when she talks about her symptoms.
(c) She reads his thoughts in a letter he has written.
7. Who is poaching at Michel's family estate?
(a) Alcide and Michel.
(b) Alcide and Marceline.
(c) Charles and Michel.
(d) Bocage and Michel.
8. Who returns a stolen item to Michel?
9. What interest does Michel have in Charles in Part 2, Chapter 1?
(b) Love interest.
(c) Admiration of his studies.
(d) Admiration of his muscles.
10. Why does Michel decide to start supervising the work crews?
(a) So he can gaze at the men.
(b) So he can show Bocage how he wants the estate run.
(c) Because he lost his teaching job.
(d) Because he fired Bocage.
11. In Part 3, which hotel do Michel and Marceline stay in upon reaching their final destination?
(a) The one where Michel caught his veneral disease.
(b) A new one with all new amenities.
(c) The same one in which Michel had TB.
(d) The one where Marceline got pregnant.
12. Why does Michel approve the expenditures for furnishings in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) To make his wife happy.
(b) He was bullied into it by his brother-in-law.
(c) To impress Charles.
(d) He hopes it will curb his impulses to wander.
13. Why does Marceline immediately dislike Michel's new friend in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) He made a pass at her when Michel wasn't in the room.
(b) He is not in their same social class.
(c) She believes he is a bad influence on her husband.
(d) He is a drunkard and made a fool of himself at their party.
14. Why is Michel no longer attracted to Charles?
(a) He doesn'l like his mustache.
(b) Because he is not as muscular as before.
(c) Because he seems more noble and less like a peasant.
(d) Because Charles has let his hair grow out.
15. Why does the person leave the family estate in autumn?
(a) To have the baby.
(b) To return to the university.
(c) To retire.
(d) To return to the experimental farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Marceline is sick in Part 2, Chapter 2, Michel chooses to visit...
2. In Part 2, Chapter 3, which character misses dinner due to illness?
3. How do Michel and his wife feel about the social activities at their home in Part 2, Chapter 2?
4. Which friend does Michel see when leaving his classroom one day?
5. Who pleads for the person to stay instead of leaving the family estate in the autumn?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)