|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Michel's friend in Part 2, Chapter 2, having possessions gives a man...
(a) A sense of security.
(b) Something to be proud of.
(c) A false sense of security.
(d) Something to pay more taxes on.
2. Who dies in Part 3?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 3, where does Michel prefer to sleep?
(a) In his bed.
(b) At a hotel.
(c) On the floor.
(d) In the barn.
4. Who coughs up blood in Part 3?
5. Which is an example of simile?
(a) "The autumn was advancing."
(b) "The days were yoked to the days and the slightest emotion could be read on Marceline's face."
(c) "Night melted into morning."
(d) "Just as a breath of wind sometimes ripples smooth water, the slightest emotion could be read on Marceline's face."
6. What kind of housing do Michel and his wife choose when they move in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) An old castle.
(b) An apartment.
(c) They live with his wife's brother.
(d) The family estate.
7. Why does Michel approve the expenditures for furnishings in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) To make his wife happy.
(b) To impress Charles.
(c) He was bullied into it by his brother-in-law.
(d) He hopes it will curb his impulses to wander.
8. How does Michel think travel will affect his wife?
(a) The exertion will likely kill her.
(b) It will be a nice treat.
(c) It will make her stronger.
(d) It will improve her health.
9. Which character believes that each joy and sorrow must be abandoned immediately to make room for the next new thing?
10. At their spring home, why does Michel leave his wife to take walks?
(a) He has been neglecting his own exercise.
(b) To get away so his wife won't see him cry.
(c) Her health has improved and he can leave her alone for a short time.
(d) Someone else is there to take care of her.
11. What is the name of the18-year-old man Michel meets in Part 2, Chapter 1?
12. When nursing Marceline back to health, when does Michel leave her side?
(a) Only when he must lecture at the college.
(b) Whenever he wants to see his friend.
(c) To go for walks in the nearby shady grove.
(d) Every chance he gets.
13. How many men are sent to clear out some of the trees on the family estate?
14. What impacts Michel's feelings about the social activities of their life in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) He was embarassed by Marceline at one gathering.
(b) The inane conversations and trivial commitments.
(c) He is money-hungry and loves the attention.
(d) He has never liked socializing.
15. Why does the person leave the family estate in autumn?
(a) To retire.
(b) To have the baby.
(c) To return to the experimental farm.
(d) To return to the university.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Michel and his wife choose to move in the spring?
2. Who runs errands for Michel every day?
3. While Marceline is sick in Part 2, Chapter 2, Michel chooses to visit...
4. How does Michel feel about Marceline's news?
5. How do Michel and his wife feel about the social activities at their home in Part 2, Chapter 2?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)