|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 3, which character misses dinner due to illness?
2. How do Michel and his wife feel about the social activities at their home in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) They enjoy them and want more.
(b) They hate the social scene.
(c) They love the social scene, but not together.
(d) They enjoy them at first, but quickly tire.
3. Who denies the request to have the person stay on at the estate instead of leaving in the autumn?
4. Why does Michel seek the help of his friends?
(a) He has no more money left.
(b) He can't decide on his next course of action and he needs to confess.
(c) He needs help making travel arrangements.
(d) He is being tried for murder and needs them as character witnesses.
5. How does Michel resolve the jealousy?
(a) He gives the jealous person money to "forget" about it.
(b) He starts seeing the prostitute in a different location.
(c) He promises not to see the prostitute anymore and invites the jealous person to his bed.
(d) He tells the jealous person that he'll do what he wants to do.
6. When nursing Marceline back to health, when does Michel leave her side?
(a) Every chance he gets.
(b) Whenever he wants to see his friend.
(c) Only when he must lecture at the college.
(d) To go for walks in the nearby shady grove.
7. Why does the person leave the family estate in autumn?
(a) To retire.
(b) To return to the university.
(c) To return to the experimental farm.
(d) To have the baby.
8. Which character believes that each joy and sorrow must be abandoned immediately to make room for the next new thing?
9. Which two friends are both irreverent and disdainful of Parisian society?
(a) Michel and Charles.
(b) Menalque and Michel.
(c) Charles and Bocage.
(d) Charles and Motkir.
10. In Part 2, Chapter 3, where does Michel prefer to sleep?
(a) On the floor.
(b) In his bed.
(c) At a hotel.
(d) In the barn.
11. What is the time span between the death in Part 3 and the meeting of Michel with his friends?
(a) Three months.
(b) Three days.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Three years.
12. Where do Michel and his wife move in the spring?
(c) La Moriniere.
(d) To her brother's home.
13. What does the last traveler to Biskra learn about Michel there?
(a) Michel liked going to the park alone and liked spending time with the boys instead of his wife.
(b) That Michel was there alone for a short vacation.
(c) That he had contracted a venereal disease there and took a long time to recuperate.
(d) That Michel stole something from a boy in the park.
14. What interest does Michel have in Charles in Part 2, Chapter 1?
(a) Admiration of his muscles.
(b) Love interest.
(c) Admiration of his studies.
15. Why do the young boys Michel once knew and liked repulse him now?
(a) They want money instead of candy now.
(b) They are thieves.
(c) They told Michel's friend about his first visit.
(d) They are men with families or criminal records
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Michel and his wife choose to move in the spring?
2. Why isn't Michel attracted to Charles' brother?
3. What distracts Michel once he begins concentrating on his academics again?
4. Which is an example of personification?
5. What city do Michel and his wife move to in Part 2, Chapter 2?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)