|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the18-year-old man Michel meets in Part 2, Chapter 1?
2. Who expresses concern about the expenditures of the new furnishings in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(b) Michel's brother-in-law.
3. Which character do we learn in Part 2, Chapter 2, has taken a recent trip to Biskra?
4. Why does Michel decide to start supervising the work crews?
(a) Because he lost his teaching job.
(b) So he can gaze at the men.
(c) So he can show Bocage how he wants the estate run.
(d) Because he fired Bocage.
5. What happens to Marceline while Michel is visiting his friend?
(a) She is angry that Michel left to visit a friend so she packs her stuff and leaves.
(b) She goes into premature labor and the baby dies.
(c) She faints.
(d) She gets very sick and dies.
6. Who is Charles' father?
7. Which is an example of personification?
(a) "The men enjoyed riding horses."
(b) "The slightest emotion could be read..."
(c) "Michel spent every minute by her side."
(d) "Just as a breath of wind...."
8. How much money does Michel spend on furnishing his new dwelling?
(a) Not as much as his wife would like.
(b) A reasonable amount.
(c) Not much at all.
(d) An exorbitant amount.
9. Why do the young boys Michel once knew and liked repulse him now?
(a) They are thieves.
(b) They are men with families or criminal records
(c) They told Michel's friend about his first visit.
(d) They want money instead of candy now.
10. The author uses a sentence twice: "The autumn was advancing." This technique creates a sense of urgency. The technique is called...
11. How many men are sent to clear out some of the trees on the family estate?
12. What does Michel think when the prostitute tells him why she thinks he stays in Tunis?
(a) He knows she is wrong.
(b) He dismisses the thoughts of a prostitute.
(c) He denies her accusations.
(d) He thinks she might be right.
13. Is Michel interested in what the caretaker tries to explain?
(a) Yes, but he doesn't comprehend it easily.
(b) Yes, he appreciates the man's time.
(c) No, but he pretends to be so he won't hurt the man's feelings.
(d) No, and he tells the man to never mind.
14. Who denies the request to have the person stay on at the estate instead of leaving in the autumn?
15. Why does the person leave the family estate in autumn?
(a) To have the baby.
(b) To return to the experimental farm.
(c) To retire.
(d) To return to the university.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is an example of simile?
2. Who is poaching at Michel's family estate?
3. Who coughs up blood in Part 3?
4. What does the caretaker try to explain to Michel?
5. Which two friends are both irreverent and disdainful of Parisian society?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)