|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the young boys Michel once knew and liked repulse him now?
(a) They want money instead of candy now.
(b) They are thieves.
(c) They told Michel's friend about his first visit.
(d) They are men with families or criminal records
2. In Part 2, Chapter 3, which character misses dinner due to illness?
3. What is the stolen item that is returned to Michel?
4. Why does Michel get angry with Bocage?
(a) Bocage told him to mind his own business.
(b) For no reason.
(c) Bocage fired a man that Michel was attracted to.
(d) Bocage made a pass at Marceline.
5. Whose sister is a prostitute?
6. Michel befriends another of Bocage's sons. What is his name?
7. In what month does Part 2, Chapter 1 begin?
8. How does Michel feel about Marceline's news?
(a) He wants her to leave the house.
(b) He tells her to leave France.
(c) He avoids her.
(d) He feels a new tenderness toward her.
9. Who is poaching at Michel's family estate?
(a) Charles and Michel.
(b) Alcide and Marceline.
(c) Alcide and Michel.
(d) Bocage and Michel.
10. What impacts Michel's feelings about the social activities of their life in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) He was embarassed by Marceline at one gathering.
(b) The inane conversations and trivial commitments.
(c) He has never liked socializing.
(d) He is money-hungry and loves the attention.
11. Which boy -- now a man-- is still attractive to Michel?
12. Which two friends are both irreverent and disdainful of Parisian society?
(a) Charles and Bocage.
(b) Menalque and Michel.
(c) Michel and Charles.
(d) Charles and Motkir.
13. Why does Marceline immediately dislike Michel's new friend in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) He is not in their same social class.
(b) He is a drunkard and made a fool of himself at their party.
(c) She believes he is a bad influence on her husband.
(d) He made a pass at her when Michel wasn't in the room.
14. Which is an example of personification?
(a) "The men enjoyed riding horses."
(b) "Michel spent every minute by her side."
(c) "Just as a breath of wind...."
(d) "The slightest emotion could be read..."
15. How does Michel sum up his thoughts on his marriage?
(a) It is "rest for a man who is not tired."
(b) It is "the next best thing."
(c) It is "like being hunted and trapped."
(d) It is "bliss."
Short Answer Questions
1. When nursing Marceline back to health, when does Michel leave her side?
2. What does the last traveler to Biskra learn about Michel there?
3. Who attends an open house hosted by Michel and his wife in Part 2, Chapter 2?
4. Who has convulsions?
5. Where does Michel spend most of his night after leaving the Moorish cafe?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)