|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose homosexual tendencies are surfacing stronger in Part 2, Chapter 1?
2. Where do Michel and his wife move in the spring?
(a) La Moriniere.
(d) To her brother's home.
3. Why does Michel seek the help of his friends?
(a) He needs help making travel arrangements.
(b) He can't decide on his next course of action and he needs to confess.
(c) He has no more money left.
(d) He is being tried for murder and needs them as character witnesses.
4. Why does Michel become interested in the management of the estate?
(a) Because Marceline is.
(b) Because he wants to sell the property.
(c) Because he wants to increase his wealth.
(d) Because Charles is.
5. What impacts Michel's feelings about the social activities of their life in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) The inane conversations and trivial commitments.
(b) He was embarassed by Marceline at one gathering.
(c) He has never liked socializing.
(d) He is money-hungry and loves the attention.
6. What is the stolen item that is returned to Michel?
7. Who has convulsions?
8. Why is Michel no longer attracted to Charles?
(a) Because he seems more noble and less like a peasant.
(b) Because Charles has let his hair grow out.
(c) Because he is not as muscular as before.
(d) He doesn'l like his mustache.
9. Which two friends are both irreverent and disdainful of Parisian society?
(a) Menalque and Michel.
(b) Michel and Charles.
(c) Charles and Motkir.
(d) Charles and Bocage.
10. While Marceline is sick in Part 2, Chapter 2, Michel chooses to visit...
11. Which character do we learn in Part 2, Chapter 2, has taken a recent trip to Biskra?
12. What activities do Michel and his new male friend enjoy together in Part 2, Chapter 1?
(a) Inspecting fields, riding horses, discussing property changes.
(b) Gardening, supervising work crews, riding horses.
(c) Inspecting crops, creating fruit hybrids, and riding horses.
(d) Riding horses, inspecting orchards and crops.
13. According to Michel's friend in Part 2, Chapter 2, having possessions gives a man...
(a) A sense of security.
(b) A false sense of security.
(c) Something to be proud of.
(d) Something to pay more taxes on.
14. Does Michel love his wife?
(a) Yes, with all his heart.
(b) No, he thinks she is weak.
(c) He tries to.
(d) No, she has angered him for the last time.
15. Which is an example of personification?
(a) "Michel spent every minute by her side."
(b) "Just as a breath of wind...."
(c) "The slightest emotion could be read..."
(d) "The men enjoyed riding horses."
Short Answer Questions
1. The author uses a sentence twice: "The autumn was advancing." This technique creates a sense of urgency. The technique is called...
2. Why does Marceline immediately dislike Michel's new friend in Part 2, Chapter 2?
3. Who has been assigned a diplomatic duty in another country?
4. Whose sister is a prostitute?
5. What interest does Michel have in Charles in Part 2, Chapter 1?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)