|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What impacts Marceline's feelings about the social activities of their life in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) She is money-hungry and loves the attention.
(b) She has never liked socializing.
(c) Her pregnacy and recent move make her tired.
(d) She was embarassed by Michel at one gathering.
2. What distracts Michel once he begins concentrating on his academics again?
(a) Planting the fall crops and fruit trees.
(c) The opulence and sensuality of the ripening crops and fruit trees.
(d) The work of harvesting the crops and fruit trees.
3. Who dies in Part 3?
4. Which is an example of personification?
(a) "The men enjoyed riding horses."
(b) "Just as a breath of wind...."
(c) "The slightest emotion could be read..."
(d) "Michel spent every minute by her side."
5. Why is Michel no longer attracted to Charles?
(a) Because Charles has let his hair grow out.
(b) Because he seems more noble and less like a peasant.
(c) Because he is not as muscular as before.
(d) He doesn'l like his mustache.
6. Who is Charles' father?
7. Why does Michel approve the expenditures for furnishings in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) To impress Charles.
(b) He was bullied into it by his brother-in-law.
(c) To make his wife happy.
(d) He hopes it will curb his impulses to wander.
8. How much money does Michel spend on furnishing his new dwelling?
(a) An exorbitant amount.
(b) Not much at all.
(c) Not as much as his wife would like.
(d) A reasonable amount.
9. What is the name of the18-year-old man Michel meets in Part 2, Chapter 1?
10. Who has been assigned a diplomatic duty in another country?
11. Who pleads for the person to stay instead of leaving the family estate in the autumn?
12. Whose sister is a prostitute?
13. Who is the long-time caretaker of the family estate?
14. What news does Marceline share after arriving at the family estate?
(a) She is sick.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She hates France.
(d) She wants to leave.
15. How many men are sent to clear out some of the trees on the family estate?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Michel walk away from Marceline?
2. In Part 3, which hotel do Michel and Marceline stay in upon reaching their final destination?
3. Why does Marceline immediately dislike Michel's new friend in Part 2, Chapter 2?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 3, where does Michel prefer to sleep?
5. Who attends an open house hosted by Michel and his wife in Part 2, Chapter 2?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)