|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Michel and his wife feel about the social activities at their home in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) They enjoy them and want more.
(b) They enjoy them at first, but quickly tire.
(c) They love the social scene, but not together.
(d) They hate the social scene.
2. Which is an example of personification?
(a) "The men enjoyed riding horses."
(b) "Just as a breath of wind...."
(c) "The slightest emotion could be read..."
(d) "Michel spent every minute by her side."
3. Who is poaching at Michel's family estate?
(a) Bocage and Michel.
(b) Alcide and Michel.
(c) Alcide and Marceline.
(d) Charles and Michel.
4. What kind of housing do Michel and his wife choose when they move in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) An apartment.
(b) An old castle.
(c) They live with his wife's brother.
(d) The family estate.
5. Which friend does Michel see when leaving his classroom one day?
6. Who coughs up blood in Part 3?
7. Why does Michel become interested in the management of the estate?
(a) Because he wants to increase his wealth.
(b) Because Marceline is.
(c) Because Charles is.
(d) Because he wants to sell the property.
8. Who pleads for the person to stay instead of leaving the family estate in the autumn?
9. Why do Michel and his wife choose to move in the spring?
(a) They want to get away to another country.
(b) They hope the fresh air will help Marceline's recovery.
(c) They think the social life will boost Marceline's spirits.
(d) So someone else can take care of Marceline.
10. How does Michel feel about Marceline's news?
(a) He wants her to leave the house.
(b) He avoids her.
(c) He feels a new tenderness toward her.
(d) He tells her to leave France.
11. At their spring home, why does Michel leave his wife to take walks?
(a) To get away so his wife won't see him cry.
(b) Someone else is there to take care of her.
(c) Her health has improved and he can leave her alone for a short time.
(d) He has been neglecting his own exercise.
12. What is the time span between the death in Part 3 and the meeting of Michel with his friends?
(a) Three days.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Three months.
(d) Three years.
13. Michel befriends another of Bocage's sons. What is his name?
14. Does Michel love his wife?
(a) He tries to.
(b) No, she has angered him for the last time.
(c) No, he thinks she is weak.
(d) Yes, with all his heart.
15. When do Michel and his wife depart for their new destination?
(b) Five days after Michel mentions that he'd like to go.
(c) Five months after Michel first mentions that he'd like to go.
(d) They don't go. They stay at the family estate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is Michel interested in what the caretaker tries to explain?
2. When does Michel walk away from Marceline?
3. Why do the young boys Michel once knew and liked repulse him now?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 3, where does Michel prefer to sleep?
5. Who must leave the family estate when autumn arrives?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)