|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 3, which hotel do Michel and Marceline stay in upon reaching their final destination?
(a) The one where Michel caught his veneral disease.
(b) A new one with all new amenities.
(c) The one where Marceline got pregnant.
(d) The same one in which Michel had TB.
2. How does Michel spend most of his days after learning Marceline's news?
(a) He spends time alone in the fields.
(b) He does not change his routine at all.
(c) He spends time at school.
(d) He spends almost every minute by her side.
3. According to Michel's friend in Part 2, Chapter 2, having possessions gives a man...
(a) A sense of security.
(b) Something to be proud of.
(c) Something to pay more taxes on.
(d) A false sense of security.
4. How does Michel feel about Marceline's news?
(a) He feels a new tenderness toward her.
(b) He avoids her.
(c) He wants her to leave the house.
(d) He tells her to leave France.
5. What impacts Marceline's feelings about the social activities of their life in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) She has never liked socializing.
(b) She was embarassed by Michel at one gathering.
(c) She is money-hungry and loves the attention.
(d) Her pregnacy and recent move make her tired.
6. What is the stolen item that is returned to Michel?
7. Why does Michel get angry with Bocage?
(a) Bocage made a pass at Marceline.
(b) For no reason.
(c) Bocage told him to mind his own business.
(d) Bocage fired a man that Michel was attracted to.
8. How does Michel sum up his thoughts on his marriage?
(a) It is "bliss."
(b) It is "like being hunted and trapped."
(c) It is "rest for a man who is not tired."
(d) It is "the next best thing."
9. Michel befriends another of Bocage's sons. What is his name?
10. How does Michel think travel will affect his wife?
(a) The exertion will likely kill her.
(b) It will make her stronger.
(c) It will improve her health.
(d) It will be a nice treat.
11. Where do Michel and Marceline's travels take them in Part 3?
(a) Italy, Spain, and South Africa.
(b) South America and North America.
(c) Spain, Switerland, and France.
(d) Italy, Switzerland, and North Africa.
12. What new hobby does Michel develop after returning to the family's country estate?
(a) He likes to watch the workers.
(b) He likes to feed the animals.
(c) Collecting spring insects.
13. Which two friends are both irreverent and disdainful of Parisian society?
(a) Michel and Charles.
(b) Charles and Motkir.
(c) Menalque and Michel.
(d) Charles and Bocage.
14. Does Michel love his wife?
(a) He tries to.
(b) No, she has angered him for the last time.
(c) Yes, with all his heart.
(d) No, he thinks she is weak.
15. What activities do Michel and his new male friend enjoy together in Part 2, Chapter 1?
(a) Inspecting crops, creating fruit hybrids, and riding horses.
(b) Riding horses, inspecting orchards and crops.
(c) Gardening, supervising work crews, riding horses.
(d) Inspecting fields, riding horses, discussing property changes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Michel spend on furnishing his new dwelling?
2. Where has the 18-year-old man (in Part 2, Chapter 1) been working before returning to Michel's family estate?
3. At their spring home, why does Michel leave his wife to take walks?
4. What impacts Michel's feelings about the social activities of their life in Part 2, Chapter 2?
5. What does the last traveler to Biskra learn about Michel there?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)