|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Is Michel interested in what the caretaker tries to explain?
(a) Yes, but he doesn't comprehend it easily.
(b) No, and he tells the man to never mind.
(c) Yes, he appreciates the man's time.
(d) No, but he pretends to be so he won't hurt the man's feelings.
2. What does the last traveler to Biskra learn about Michel there?
(a) That Michel was there alone for a short vacation.
(b) That he had contracted a venereal disease there and took a long time to recuperate.
(c) Michel liked going to the park alone and liked spending time with the boys instead of his wife.
(d) That Michel stole something from a boy in the park.
3. What does the caretaker try to explain to Michel?
(a) How to budget for the estate.
(b) How to plant the crops.
(c) The estate and tenant farm operations.
(d) How to harvest the crops and fruit.
4. Which two friends are both irreverent and disdainful of Parisian society?
(a) Menalque and Michel.
(b) Michel and Charles.
(c) Charles and Bocage.
(d) Charles and Motkir.
5. Who must leave the family estate when autumn arrives?
6. In what month does Part 2, Chapter 1 begin?
7. What is "poaching?"
8. What kind of housing do Michel and his wife choose when they move in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) An apartment.
(b) The family estate.
(c) An old castle.
(d) They live with his wife's brother.
9. What distracts Michel once he begins concentrating on his academics again?
(a) The work of harvesting the crops and fruit trees.
(c) Planting the fall crops and fruit trees.
(d) The opulence and sensuality of the ripening crops and fruit trees.
10. In Part 2, Chapter 3, which character misses dinner due to illness?
11. Who attends an open house hosted by Michel and his wife in Part 2, Chapter 2?
12. Where is El Kantara located?
(a) Near a private garden Marceline liked.
(b) In Florence.
(c) Near the family estate in Normandy.
(d) Near the apartment in Paris.
13. Who dies in Part 3?
14. Where do Michel and his wife move in the spring?
(a) La Moriniere.
(c) To her brother's home.
15. When does Michel walk away from Marceline?
(a) When she asks him to pray for her.
(b) When she tells him she knows his secret.
(c) When she tells him she doesn't love him.
(d) When she yells at him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Michel spend most of his night after leaving the Moorish cafe?
2. Who is poaching at Michel's family estate?
3. What is the name of the18-year-old man Michel meets in Part 2, Chapter 1?
4. When nursing Marceline back to health, when does Michel leave her side?
5. At their spring home, why does Michel leave his wife to take walks?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)