|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the long-time caretaker of the family estate?
2. Why does Marceline immediately dislike Michel's new friend in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) She believes he is a bad influence on her husband.
(b) He is a drunkard and made a fool of himself at their party.
(c) He is not in their same social class.
(d) He made a pass at her when Michel wasn't in the room.
3. At their spring home, why does Michel leave his wife to take walks?
(a) He has been neglecting his own exercise.
(b) Someone else is there to take care of her.
(c) To get away so his wife won't see him cry.
(d) Her health has improved and he can leave her alone for a short time.
4. Why does Michel decide to start supervising the work crews?
(a) Because he fired Bocage.
(b) So he can gaze at the men.
(c) Because he lost his teaching job.
(d) So he can show Bocage how he wants the estate run.
5. In what month does Part 2, Chapter 1 begin?
6. How do Michel and his wife feel about the social activities at their home in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) They hate the social scene.
(b) They love the social scene, but not together.
(c) They enjoy them and want more.
(d) They enjoy them at first, but quickly tire.
7. In Part 2, Chapter 3, which character misses dinner due to illness?
8. What new hobby does Michel develop after returning to the family's country estate?
(b) He likes to feed the animals.
(c) Collecting spring insects.
(d) He likes to watch the workers.
9. What is the stolen item that is returned to Michel?
10. According to Michel's friend in Part 2, Chapter 2, having possessions gives a man...
(a) Something to pay more taxes on.
(b) Something to be proud of.
(c) A sense of security.
(d) A false sense of security.
11. Where does Michel want to go when leaving the family estate?
(a) South America.
12. Which is an example of simile?
(a) "Night melted into morning."
(b) "The autumn was advancing."
(c) "The days were yoked to the days and the slightest emotion could be read on Marceline's face."
(d) "Just as a breath of wind sometimes ripples smooth water, the slightest emotion could be read on Marceline's face."
13. What is the name of the18-year-old man Michel meets in Part 2, Chapter 1?
14. Who expresses concern about the expenditures of the new furnishings in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(d) Michel's brother-in-law.
15. Which friend does Michel see when leaving his classroom one day?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who runs errands for Michel every day?
2. What does the caretaker try to explain to Michel?
3. When does Michel walk away from Marceline?
4. Where has the 18-year-old man (in Part 2, Chapter 1) been working before returning to Michel's family estate?
5. Does Michel love his wife?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)