|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who pleads for the person to stay instead of leaving the family estate in the autumn?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 3, where does Michel prefer to sleep?
(a) In the barn.
(b) At a hotel.
(c) On the floor.
(d) In his bed.
3. Which is an example of alliteration?
(a) "The nights melted."
(b) "Autumn was kicking summer out the door."
(c) "The autumn was advancing."
(d) "The leaves drift aimlessly."
4. Which friend does Michel see when leaving his classroom one day?
5. When does Michel walk away from Marceline?
(a) When she asks him to pray for her.
(b) When she yells at him.
(c) When she tells him she doesn't love him.
(d) When she tells him she knows his secret.
6. Michel befriends another of Bocage's sons. What is his name?
7. Which is an example of personification?
(a) "The slightest emotion could be read..."
(b) "The men enjoyed riding horses."
(c) "Just as a breath of wind...."
(d) "Michel spent every minute by her side."
8. While Marceline is sick in Part 2, Chapter 2, Michel chooses to visit...
9. Why do the young boys Michel once knew and liked repulse him now?
(a) They are men with families or criminal records
(b) They want money instead of candy now.
(c) They told Michel's friend about his first visit.
(d) They are thieves.
10. What impacts Michel's feelings about the social activities of their life in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) The inane conversations and trivial commitments.
(b) He has never liked socializing.
(c) He was embarassed by Marceline at one gathering.
(d) He is money-hungry and loves the attention.
11. Why does Marceline immediately dislike Michel's new friend in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) He is a drunkard and made a fool of himself at their party.
(b) He is not in their same social class.
(c) She believes he is a bad influence on her husband.
(d) He made a pass at her when Michel wasn't in the room.
12. What impacts Marceline's feelings about the social activities of their life in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) She has never liked socializing.
(b) Her pregnacy and recent move make her tired.
(c) She was embarassed by Michel at one gathering.
(d) She is money-hungry and loves the attention.
13. Who returns a stolen item to Michel?
14. Who runs errands for Michel every day?
15. Which two friends are both irreverent and disdainful of Parisian society?
(a) Menalque and Michel.
(b) Charles and Bocage.
(c) Charles and Motkir.
(d) Michel and Charles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What activities do Michel and his new male friend enjoy together in Part 2, Chapter 1?
2. Who meets Michel and his wife when they arrive at the family estate?
3. Who is the long-time caretaker of the family estate?
4. Why does Michel decide to start supervising the work crews?
5. What does Michel think when the prostitute tells him why she thinks he stays in Tunis?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)