|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Michel sum up his thoughts on his marriage?
(a) It is "rest for a man who is not tired."
(b) It is "the next best thing."
(c) It is "like being hunted and trapped."
(d) It is "bliss."
2. What is the name of the18-year-old man Michel meets in Part 2, Chapter 1?
3. In Part 3, which hotel do Michel and Marceline stay in upon reaching their final destination?
(a) The one where Michel caught his veneral disease.
(b) A new one with all new amenities.
(c) The one where Marceline got pregnant.
(d) The same one in which Michel had TB.
4. Who must leave the family estate when autumn arrives?
5. How do Michel and his wife feel about the social activities at their home in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) They love the social scene, but not together.
(b) They hate the social scene.
(c) They enjoy them at first, but quickly tire.
(d) They enjoy them and want more.
6. What new hobby does Michel develop after returning to the family's country estate?
(a) He likes to feed the animals.
(c) Collecting spring insects.
(d) He likes to watch the workers.
7. Who dies in Part 3?
8. What kind of housing do Michel and his wife choose when they move in Part 2, Chapter 2?
(a) An apartment.
(b) An old castle.
(c) They live with his wife's brother.
(d) The family estate.
9. Who is Charles' father?
10. What is the stolen item that is returned to Michel?
11. Why does Michel decide to start supervising the work crews?
(a) Because he fired Bocage.
(b) Because he lost his teaching job.
(c) So he can gaze at the men.
(d) So he can show Bocage how he wants the estate run.
12. Why does Michel get angry with Bocage?
(a) Bocage told him to mind his own business.
(b) Bocage fired a man that Michel was attracted to.
(c) Bocage made a pass at Marceline.
(d) For no reason.
13. Where does Michel want to go when leaving the family estate?
(b) South America.
14. Which two friends are both irreverent and disdainful of Parisian society?
(a) Michel and Charles.
(b) Charles and Bocage.
(c) Menalque and Michel.
(d) Charles and Motkir.
15. Where has the 18-year-old man (in Part 2, Chapter 1) been working before returning to Michel's family estate?
(a) At an animal treatment facility.
(b) At an experimental farm.
(c) In a church.
(d) In a commune.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who meets Michel and his wife when they arrive at the family estate?
2. Whose homosexual tendencies are surfacing stronger in Part 2, Chapter 1?
3. Why does the person leave the family estate in autumn?
4. How does Michel spend most of his days after learning Marceline's news?
5. Where do Michel and his wife move in the spring?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)