|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Part 1, Chapters 5-7, what does the reader learn that Michel's change in attitude and appearance demonstrate?
(a) That Michel desires to be a trendsetter.
(b) That Michel loves tradition and convention.
(c) That Michel is leaving his old life behind and assuming a new identity.
(d) That Michel only wants his wife to be proud of him.
2. To how many friends does Michel confess?
3. Where does Michel's wife sit on completion of her carriage ride into town in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) She walks beside the carriage.
(b) In the box next to Michel.
(c) In the back.
(d) On the back of the horse.
4. What does Michel's wife immediately do when she learns he is sick?
(a) Calls for room service.
(d) Calls for a doctor.
5. Where does Michel's wife take him for small walks when he's able to venture out?
(a) In a park near the hotel.
(b) In an orchard across town.
(c) In an alley behind the hotel.
(d) On the sidewalk in front of the hotel.
6. What does Michel wonder about himself as he watches his wife sleep after they have made love for the first time?
(a) Whether he could ever return her devotion if she were sick.
(b) Whether she would join him in his quest for vitality.
(c) Whether he would ever be able to leave her.
(d) Whether she would expect him to complete his studies.
7. In Part 1, Chapter 8, who completes driving the carriage into town?
(a) Michel's wife.
(c) The carriage driver.
(d) A young boy.
8. What does Michel's wife think about her husband's new persona?
(a) She hates it and becomes very angry.
(b) She doesn't mind as long as he's still got plenty of money.
(c) She is mildly unnerved.
(d) She is excited.
9. What is the diagnosis the doctor gives Michel?
10. When is the last time the friends have all been together?
(a) At Michel's father's funeral last year.
(b) At Michel's wedding last year.
(c) At Michel's father's funeral three years ago.
(d) At Michel's wedding three years ago.
11. How does Michel's wife feel about seeing him take action in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) She is impressed.
(b) She is mad.
(c) She is embarrassed.
(d) She is indifferent.
12. How does Michel feel about returning to his studies?
(a) He is indifferent to his studies.
(b) He hates them now.
(c) He liked the vacation, but is ready to study again.
(d) He realizes he missed them.
13. Why does Michel marry his wife?
(a) Because he had loved her all his life.
(b) To get citizenship.
(c) He fell in love at first sight with her.
(d) He promised his father he would.
14. What is the name of the country estate Michel and his wife decide to visit in Part 1, Chapter 9?
(a) La Marinara
(b) La Molinaire.
(c) La Millionaire.
(d) La Moriniere.
15. Why does Michel's wife initially invite the boy to come play in their hotel room?
(a) To cheer up herself.
(b) To care for the boy's wounds.
(c) To feed the starving boy.
(d) To cheer up Michel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What startles the boy who comes to play in Michel's hotel room?
2. What does Michel tell his wife he is doing while she walks ahead when they visit their new walking place?
3. As Michel's health improves he still experiences...
4. What sound does Michel hear as he approaches the town on foot in Part 1, Chapter 8?
5. What are Michel's studies that he returns to after his honeymoon?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)