|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 2, who sends Michel a letter and pamphlets regarding his illness?
(a) His brother-in-law.
(b) A friend.
(c) His father.
(d) His mother.
2. What contributes to the delicate health Michel experiences early in the story?
(a) Lack of money for regular doctor visits.
(b) Lack of fresh fruits and vegetables.
(c) His dislike of sunlight.
(d) His sheltered and sedentary life.
3. Who witnesses the Arab boy stealing from Michel's room?
(a) A hotel employee.
(b) No one.
(d) Michel's wife.
4. When is the last time the friends have all been together?
(a) At Michel's father's funeral last year.
(b) At Michel's father's funeral three years ago.
(c) At Michel's wedding three years ago.
(d) At Michel's wedding last year.
5. Where does Michel's wife sit on completion of her carriage ride into town in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) She walks beside the carriage.
(b) In the back.
(c) On the back of the horse.
(d) In the box next to Michel.
6. Why do Michel and his wife decide to leave the hotel?
(a) Harsh winter weather is approaching.
(b) The expense is getting ridiculous.
(c) They are fighting and want to get back home.
(d) They want a change of scenery.
7. As Michel works aggressively toward a full recovery, what does Michel put aside to concentrate more on his physical recovery?
(a) His intellectual pursuits.
(b) His emphasis on diet.
(c) His marriage.
(d) Reading his Bible.
8. What does Michel's wife think about her husband's new persona?
(a) She hates it and becomes very angry.
(b) She is excited.
(c) She doesn't mind as long as he's still got plenty of money.
(d) She is mildly unnerved.
9. What is the reason for Michel's feelings toward his studies?
(a) He cannot imagine life without being a scholar.
(b) He hates the thought of anything dying or decaying.
(c) He doesn't have anything to prove now that his father is dead.
(d) Taking a break made him appreciate school more.
10. What makes Michel realize his illness is getting serious during his honeymoon trip?
(a) He has chest pains.
(b) He can't stop wheezing.
(c) He coughs up blood.
(d) His eyes begin to bleed.
11. What job is offered to Michel in Part 1, Chapter 9?
(a) Full time teaching position.
(b) Temporary teaching position.
(c) Temporary writer.
(d) Full time writer.
12. Michel ghostwrites books for...
(a) His father.
(b) The king.
(c) An educational company.
(d) His university.
13. Who gathers to see Michel on his daily walks?
(a) His old friends.
(b) Old women from the market.
(c) More and more Arab children.
(d) Students who have read his books.
14. How does Michel greet his friends once they are inside his house?
(a) With hugs.
(b) With a hearty handshake.
(c) With no emotion or enthusiasm.
(d) By offering them tea.
15. In Part 1, Chapters 5-7, what do Michel's physical changes mirror?
(a) His family's estate.
(b) His inner changes.
(c) His new hair-do.
(d) An old, married man.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 3, who is Michel's favorite boy?
2. At what time of day do Michel and his wife leave their hotel?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 9, the couple spends several happy days in which town first?
4. Why does Michel pick the location and house he does for their residence during his new job in Part 1, Chapter 9?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 8, to which city does Michel choose to walk?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)