|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main character's nationality?
(a) South American.
2. Which institution offers the job to Michel in Part 1, Chapter 9?
(a) Syracuse University.
(b) Die Universitat in Deutchland.
(c) The College of Normandy.
(d) The College de France.
3. Where is the first stop for Michel and his wife when they leave Biskra?
4. What does Michel wonder about himself as he watches his wife sleep after they have made love for the first time?
(a) Whether she would join him in his quest for vitality.
(b) Whether he could ever return her devotion if she were sick.
(c) Whether she would expect him to complete his studies.
(d) Whether he would ever be able to leave her.
5. Why does Michel grow to respect and love his wife during his illness?
(a) She has a beautiful voice and sings to him while he is sick.
(b) He appreciates her artwork.
(c) He knows she will have to make a living for the family.
(d) For her practicality and kindness in nursing him back to health.
6. What two major changes does Michel make to help him toward a full recovery?
(a) He eats less fat and insists on fresh air.
(b) He eats vegetables only and keeps his window closed.
(c) He exercises daily and eats less.
(d) He eats heartier and insists on fresh air.
7. How does Michel feel on his last night in Biskra?
(a) Like he's going to have a relapse.
(b) So alive that everything else seems dead.
(c) Like he wants to write a book.
(d) Like he's ready to get back to his studies.
8. Who does Michel find when he returns to the new walking place alone one evening?
(b) His wife.
(c) A deformed little boy.
(d) A handsome 12-year-old goatherd.
9. Michel ghostwrites books for...
(a) His university.
(b) The king.
(c) His father.
(d) An educational company.
10. In Part 1, Chapter 3, Michel's wife introduces him to a new place to walk. What is this place?
(a) A grove of cypress trees.
(b) A park full of playground equipment.
(c) A pathway to an orchard.
(d) A shady grove of gardens.
11. What is the reason for Michel's feelings toward his studies?
(a) He doesn't have anything to prove now that his father is dead.
(b) He hates the thought of anything dying or decaying.
(c) He cannot imagine life without being a scholar.
(d) Taking a break made him appreciate school more.
12. Why is Michel walking to the city in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) To meet his wife's carriage.
(b) To meet young boys.
(c) To pick up a delivery.
(d) For fun.
13. Who is the first Arab boy invited to play in Michel's hotel room?
14. Which house will Michel and his wife live in when he starts his new job?
(a) They will build their own home.
(b) They will stay with his wife's brother.
(c) His family's country estate.
(d) One they find to buy.
15. In Part 1, Chapter 8, who completes driving the carriage into town?
(b) Michel's wife.
(c) The carriage driver.
(d) A young boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the final destination of Michel's honeymoon trip?
2. Why does Michel's wife walk ahead in their new walking place?
3. What does Michel's weakened condition show him?
4. In Part 1, Chapters 5-7, what do Michel's physical changes mirror?
5. How does Michel greet his friends once they are inside his house?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)