|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Michel regard his wife's feelings in Part 1, Chapters 5-7?
(a) Michel belittles his wife every chance he gets.
(b) He sees her as a weak link since she is not as strong and beautiful as he himself.
(c) He doesn't care if he hurts her feelings or not.
(d) He has a positive attitude and doesn't want to hurt her feelings.
2. Where does Michel's wife take him for small walks when he's able to venture out?
(a) In an orchard across town.
(b) In an alley behind the hotel.
(c) In a park near the hotel.
(d) On the sidewalk in front of the hotel.
3. Where do Michel and his wife settle down for him to resume his studies?
4. Who does Michel find when he returns to the new walking place alone one evening?
(a) A deformed little boy.
(b) His wife.
(d) A handsome 12-year-old goatherd.
5. Why do Michel and his wife decide to leave the hotel?
(a) They are fighting and want to get back home.
(b) Harsh winter weather is approaching.
(c) They want a change of scenery.
(d) The expense is getting ridiculous.
6. What contributes to the delicate health Michel experiences early in the story?
(a) His dislike of sunlight.
(b) Lack of fresh fruits and vegetables.
(c) His sheltered and sedentary life.
(d) Lack of money for regular doctor visits.
7. Upon accepting the job offered in Part 1, Chapter 9, in which town does Michel decide he and his wife will live?
8. How does Michel receive notification of his job offer in Part 1, Chapter 9?
(a) In a letter.
(b) In a phone call.
(c) In person.
(d) In a telegraph.
9. What startles the boy who comes to play in Michel's hotel room?
(a) Michel's father.
(b) Michel's collection of skulls.
(c) Michel's ghastly appearance.
(d) Michel's wife.
10. Which phrase does Michel use to describe the first time he makes love with his wife?
(a) "Living life for that very moment."
(b) "An old man should reach out his hands."
(c) "A momentary laughter in which our souls united."
(d) "The joy made me want to laugh."
11. What happens the night Michel and his wife arrive at the destination they set out for in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) They argue over the carriage incident.
(b) They consummate their marriage.
(c) They entertain small boys in their hotel room.
(d) They go shopping.
12. In Part 1, Chapter 8, who completes driving the carriage into town?
(a) Michel's wife.
(c) The carriage driver.
(d) A young boy.
13. Which institution offers the job to Michel in Part 1, Chapter 9?
(a) The College de France.
(b) Syracuse University.
(c) Die Universitat in Deutchland.
(d) The College of Normandy.
14. In Part 1, Chapter 9, why does Michel doubt his ability to take good care of his wife?
(a) He doesn't like to do much work.
(b) He knows he isn't very smart.
(c) He realizes he doesn't love her.
(d) He knows his limits and capabilities, especially now that he's self-absorbed.
15. What does Michel read on his last night in Biskra when he can't sleep?
(a) A random passage from his Bible.
(b) A specific passage he looked up in the hotel Bible.
(c) A random passage in the hotel Bible.
(d) A specific passage he looked up in his own Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is the last time the friends have all been together?
2. What does Michel tell his wife he is doing while she walks ahead when they visit their new walking place?
3. What word or phrase best describes Michel's persona in Part 1, Chapters 5-7?
4. What is the diagnosis the doctor gives Michel?
5. What does one of the Arab boys steal from Michel's hotel room?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)