|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 8, who completes driving the carriage into town?
(b) A young boy.
(c) The carriage driver.
(d) Michel's wife.
2. Why does Michel want to tell his story?
(a) He needs their permission to use their names in his book.
(b) In order to be free.
(c) He wants to write a book.
(d) To see how his friends react.
3. How does Michel greet his friends once they are inside his house?
(a) By offering them tea.
(b) With no emotion or enthusiasm.
(c) With hugs.
(d) With a hearty handshake.
4. What is the reason for Michel's feelings toward his studies?
(a) Taking a break made him appreciate school more.
(b) He doesn't have anything to prove now that his father is dead.
(c) He cannot imagine life without being a scholar.
(d) He hates the thought of anything dying or decaying.
5. What thoughts does Michel have while watching his wife sleep after making love to her the first time?
(a) He is overcome with joy at the sheer physical experience.
(b) He is overcome with the staggering thought that he is tied down to her for life.
(c) He is overcome with love for her and appreciates her devotion.
(d) He is overcome with guilt for the feelings he has toward young boys.
6. In Part 1, Chapter 9, why does Michel doubt his ability to take good care of his wife?
(a) He knows he isn't very smart.
(b) He realizes he doesn't love her.
(c) He knows his limits and capabilities, especially now that he's self-absorbed.
(d) He doesn't like to do much work.
7. Where do Michel and his wife shop on their honeymoon?
8. What does the information Michel receives in the mail regarding his illness show him?
(a) He should make use of leeches to get rid of the disease.
(b) The treatment he has been following is not appropriate for a full recovery.
(c) He has been taking the wrong medicine all along.
(d) The doctor misdiagnosed him.
9. Who gathers to see Michel on his daily walks?
(a) Students who have read his books.
(b) Old women from the market.
(c) His old friends.
(d) More and more Arab children.
10. In Part 1, Chapter 7, Michel begins to see himself as...
(a) A workout guru.
(b) Meek, weak, and plain.
(c) Beautiful, strong, and sensual.
(d) A lucky husband.
11. In Part 1, Chapter 9, where do Michel and his wife decide to visit before going home?
(a) Rome and Florence.
(b) Sorrento and London.
(c) Baskra and Tunisia.
(d) Normandy and Paris.
12. Why does Michel marry his wife?
(a) He fell in love at first sight with her.
(b) To get citizenship.
(c) He promised his father he would.
(d) Because he had loved her all his life.
13. What does Michel's wife think about her husband's new persona?
(a) She hates it and becomes very angry.
(b) She is mildly unnerved.
(c) She doesn't mind as long as he's still got plenty of money.
(d) She is excited.
14. What does Michel ask the barber to do in Part 1, Chapter 7?
(a) To shave off his beard.
(b) To give him a goatee.
(c) To use leeches to make him healthier.
(d) To shave his mustache off.
15. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 3, who is Michel's favorite boy?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one obstacle in the relationship between Michel and his wife?
2. Why does Michel prefer to take his walks alone?
3. Why is Michel walking to the city in Part 1, Chapter 8?
4. What does Michel rub his body with after jumping into a cold pond?
5. What two major changes does Michel make to help him toward a full recovery?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)