|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Michel marry his wife?
(a) To get citizenship.
(b) He fell in love at first sight with her.
(c) Because he had loved her all his life.
(d) He promised his father he would.
2. How does Michel greet his friends outside when they arrive at his home?
(a) He sends a butler to welcome them.
(b) With hugs and kisses on each side of the face.
(c) With a hearty handshake.
(d) With no emotion or enthusiasm.
3. What thoughts does Michel have while watching his wife sleep after making love to her the first time?
(a) He is overcome with the staggering thought that he is tied down to her for life.
(b) He is overcome with love for her and appreciates her devotion.
(c) He is overcome with joy at the sheer physical experience.
(d) He is overcome with guilt for the feelings he has toward young boys.
4. In Part 1, Chapter 3, Michel returns to the hotel from a walk to find his wife...
(a) Is missing.
(b) Nursing an ill Arab boy.
(c) Reading his journal.
(d) With another man.
5. Where does Michel recuperate from his illness on the honeymoon trip?
(a) In the hospital.
(b) At his Normandy estate.
(c) In the hotel.
(d) At the university.
6. What best summarizes the passage Michel read when he couldn't sleep on his last night in Biskra?
(a) A young man walks where he should, but an older man should stretch out his hands.
(b) Not to covet neighbors.
(c) An old man walks where he should, but a younger man should stretch out his hands.
(d) Love others as you love yourself.
7. In Part 1, Chapter 7, how does Michel try to act around his wife?
(a) Like a studly man she can be proud of.
(b) Like his old self in demeanor.
(c) Like her hero.
(d) Like he is better than she is.
8. What job is offered to Michel in Part 1, Chapter 9?
(a) Full time writer.
(b) Full time teaching position.
(c) Temporary writer.
(d) Temporary teaching position.
9. What word or phrase best describes Michel's persona in Part 1, Chapters 5-7?
(a) Positive, yet cruel to his wife.
(c) Negative and very cruel to his wife.
10. Where is the first stop for Michel and his wife when they leave Biskra?
11. In Part 1, Chapter 2, who sends Michel a letter and pamphlets regarding his illness?
(a) His mother.
(b) His brother-in-law.
(c) His father.
(d) A friend.
12. Why is Michel walking to the city in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) To pick up a delivery.
(b) For fun.
(c) To meet young boys.
(d) To meet his wife's carriage.
13. In Part 1, Chapters 5-7, what do Michel's physical changes mirror?
(a) His family's estate.
(b) His inner changes.
(c) His new hair-do.
(d) An old, married man.
14. Which house will Michel and his wife live in when he starts his new job?
(a) They will build their own home.
(b) One they find to buy.
(c) They will stay with his wife's brother.
(d) His family's country estate.
15. What does Michel's wife think about her husband's new persona?
(a) She is mildly unnerved.
(b) She hates it and becomes very angry.
(c) She doesn't mind as long as he's still got plenty of money.
(d) She is excited.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Michel feel about the work he asked the barber to do?
2. What does Michel study during his scholarly life?
3. With his new attitude at the end of Part 1, Chapters 5-7, how does Michel view each day?
4. What does Michel's wife do while he is sick?
5. What does one of the Arab boys steal from Michel's hotel room?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)