|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To how many friends does Michel confess?
2. What happens the night Michel and his wife arrive at the destination they set out for in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) They entertain small boys in their hotel room.
(b) They argue over the carriage incident.
(c) They go shopping.
(d) They consummate their marriage.
3. How long do Michel and his wife stay at the hotel while he recuperates?
(a) About four months.
(b) About four weeks.
(c) Amost a year.
(d) About six months.
4. How does Michel feel about the work he asked the barber to do?
(a) He feels like people can read his thoughts more easily since he's not hiding behind a beard.
(b) He wishes he'd never suggested the leeches.
(c) He is ahead of the trend by shaving off his mustache only.
(d) He thinks the goatee will impress the young goatherds he met on his honeymoon.
5. In Part 1, Chapter 9, why does Michel doubt his ability to take good care of his wife?
(a) He knows his limits and capabilities, especially now that he's self-absorbed.
(b) He realizes he doesn't love her.
(c) He knows he isn't very smart.
(d) He doesn't like to do much work.
6. Who does Michel find when he returns to the new walking place alone one evening?
(b) A deformed little boy.
(c) His wife.
(d) A handsome 12-year-old goatherd.
7. In Part 1, Chapter 8, to which city does Michel choose to walk?
8. Where does Michel's wife take him for small walks when he's able to venture out?
(a) On the sidewalk in front of the hotel.
(b) In an orchard across town.
(c) In a park near the hotel.
(d) In an alley behind the hotel.
9. What two major changes does Michel make to help him toward a full recovery?
(a) He exercises daily and eats less.
(b) He eats vegetables only and keeps his window closed.
(c) He eats heartier and insists on fresh air.
(d) He eats less fat and insists on fresh air.
10. In Part 1, Chapter 8, what does Michel do to the carriage driver?
(a) Tips him for safely delivering his wife.
(b) Knocks him out of the carriage and leaves him on the side of the road.
(c) Yells for him to slow down.
(d) Beats him then throws him to the back of the carriage.
11. In Part 1, Chapter 9, the couple spends several happy days in which town first?
12. What is the final destination of Michel's honeymoon trip?
13. Which house will Michel and his wife live in when he starts his new job?
(a) They will stay with his wife's brother.
(b) His family's country estate.
(c) One they find to buy.
(d) They will build their own home.
14. What makes Michel realize his illness is getting serious during his honeymoon trip?
(a) He can't stop wheezing.
(b) He coughs up blood.
(c) He has chest pains.
(d) His eyes begin to bleed.
15. How does Michel feel about returning to his studies?
(a) He is indifferent to his studies.
(b) He hates them now.
(c) He liked the vacation, but is ready to study again.
(d) He realizes he missed them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gathers to see Michel on his daily walks?
2. When does Michel realize he's never had a break from his studies?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 8, who collapses in front of Michel?
4. What surprises Michel about the work he and his father do together?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 2, who sends Michel a letter and pamphlets regarding his illness?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)