|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the final destination of Michel's honeymoon trip?
2. When does Michel's mother die?
(a) Shortly before his wedding.
(b) When he is 35.
(c) Shortly after his wedding.
(d) When he is 15.
3. How does Michel receive notification of his job offer in Part 1, Chapter 9?
(a) In a letter.
(b) In a phone call.
(c) In person.
(d) In a telegraph.
4. What word or phrase best describes Michel's persona in Part 1, Chapters 5-7?
(b) Positive, yet cruel to his wife.
(d) Negative and very cruel to his wife.
5. In Part 1, Chapter 9, why does Michel doubt his ability to take good care of his wife?
(a) He knows he isn't very smart.
(b) He realizes he doesn't love her.
(c) He knows his limits and capabilities, especially now that he's self-absorbed.
(d) He doesn't like to do much work.
6. How does Michel feel about returning to his studies?
(a) He hates them now.
(b) He liked the vacation, but is ready to study again.
(c) He realizes he missed them.
(d) He is indifferent to his studies.
7. Upon accepting the job offered in Part 1, Chapter 9, in which town does Michel decide he and his wife will live?
8. At what time of day do Michel and his wife leave their hotel?
(a) After lunch.
(b) At noon.
(c) At dawn.
(d) At 11 a.m.
9. What does Michel's wife think about her husband's new persona?
(a) She hates it and becomes very angry.
(b) She is mildly unnerved.
(c) She is excited.
(d) She doesn't mind as long as he's still got plenty of money.
10. What is the reason for Michel's feelings toward his studies?
(a) He hates the thought of anything dying or decaying.
(b) Taking a break made him appreciate school more.
(c) He doesn't have anything to prove now that his father is dead.
(d) He cannot imagine life without being a scholar.
11. What makes Michel realize his illness is getting serious during his honeymoon trip?
(a) He can't stop wheezing.
(b) His eyes begin to bleed.
(c) He coughs up blood.
(d) He has chest pains.
12. Where do Michel and his wife shop on their honeymoon?
13. Why does Michel want to tell his story?
(a) In order to be free.
(b) He needs their permission to use their names in his book.
(c) To see how his friends react.
(d) He wants to write a book.
14. As Michel's health improves he still experiences...
(a) Restless sleep and sweats.
(b) No desire for his new wife.
(c) Grief over the loss of his parents.
(d) High fevers and chills.
15. What best summarizes the passage Michel read when he couldn't sleep on his last night in Biskra?
(a) An old man walks where he should, but a younger man should stretch out his hands.
(b) Not to covet neighbors.
(c) Love others as you love yourself.
(d) A young man walks where he should, but an older man should stretch out his hands.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Michel and his wife settle down for him to resume his studies?
2. What two major changes does Michel make to help him toward a full recovery?
3. What does Michel rub his body with after jumping into a cold pond?
4. As Michel works aggressively toward a full recovery, what does Michel put aside to concentrate more on his physical recovery?
5. Which phrase does Michel use to describe the first time he makes love with his wife?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)