|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 8, what does Michel do to the carriage driver?
(a) Beats him then throws him to the back of the carriage.
(b) Tips him for safely delivering his wife.
(c) Yells for him to slow down.
(d) Knocks him out of the carriage and leaves him on the side of the road.
2. Why does Michel pick the location and house he does for their residence during his new job in Part 1, Chapter 9?
(a) Because it's big enough for grand parties.
(b) For it's lively night life.
(c) For it's nature walks.
(d) For it's serenity.
3. When is the last time the friends have all been together?
(a) At Michel's father's funeral last year.
(b) At Michel's wedding last year.
(c) At Michel's wedding three years ago.
(d) At Michel's father's funeral three years ago.
4. In Part 1, Chapter 8, who collapses in front of Michel?
(a) A young boy.
(b) His wife.
(c) The carriage driver.
(d) The horse pulling the carriage.
5. What surprises Michel about the work he and his father do together?
(a) The wealth they accumulate.
(b) How little they are paid.
(c) Nothing -- Michel runs the show.
(d) How much more work remains.
6. How does Michel feel on his last night in Biskra?
(a) Like he wants to write a book.
(b) So alive that everything else seems dead.
(c) Like he's going to have a relapse.
(d) Like he's ready to get back to his studies.
7. What does Michel's weakened condition show him?
(a) That he hates school.
(b) That he does not love his new wife.
(c) How to make shadow puppets as he lies in bed.
(d) Little things he's taken for granted before.
8. What is one obstacle in the relationship between Michel and his wife?
(a) Her relationships with little boys.
(b) Her frugality.
(c) Her desire to have children.
(d) Her religion.
9. At the end of Part 1, Chapters 5-7, what does the reader learn that Michel's change in attitude and appearance demonstrate?
(a) That Michel desires to be a trendsetter.
(b) That Michel loves tradition and convention.
(c) That Michel is leaving his old life behind and assuming a new identity.
(d) That Michel only wants his wife to be proud of him.
10. How does Michel's wife feel about seeing him take action in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) She is mad.
(b) She is impressed.
(c) She is embarrassed.
(d) She is indifferent.
11. Who witnesses the Arab boy stealing from Michel's room?
(a) A hotel employee.
(b) No one.
(d) Michel's wife.
12. Who introduces Michel to more boys at the new walking place?
(b) A deformed little boy.
(c) A handsome 12-year-old goatherd.
(d) His wife.
13. How does Michel receive notification of his job offer in Part 1, Chapter 9?
(a) In a phone call.
(b) In a telegraph.
(c) In person.
(d) In a letter.
14. In Part 1, Chapter 3, Michel's wife introduces him to a new place to walk. What is this place?
(a) A grove of cypress trees.
(b) A shady grove of gardens.
(c) A park full of playground equipment.
(d) A pathway to an orchard.
15. Who gathers to see Michel on his daily walks?
(a) His old friends.
(b) More and more Arab children.
(c) Old women from the market.
(d) Students who have read his books.
Short Answer Questions
1. By accepting the job he was offered in Part 1, Chapter 9, Michel is showing his desire once again toward...
2. Where does Michel's wife sit on completion of her carriage ride into town in Part 1, Chapter 8?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 8, who is driving the carriage in which Michel's wife is riding?
4. How does Michel greet his friends once they are inside his house?
5. What does Michel's wife think about her husband's new persona?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)