|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Michel feel about returning to his studies?
(a) He hates them now.
(b) He liked the vacation, but is ready to study again.
(c) He is indifferent to his studies.
(d) He realizes he missed them.
2. With his new attitude at the end of Part 1, Chapters 5-7, how does Michel view each day?
(a) With fear of his secret being discovered.
(b) With anticipation of a new joy.
(c) With anticipation that leads to ulcers.
(d) With dread and concern.
3. What best summarizes the passage Michel read when he couldn't sleep on his last night in Biskra?
(a) An old man walks where he should, but a younger man should stretch out his hands.
(b) A young man walks where he should, but an older man should stretch out his hands.
(c) Not to covet neighbors.
(d) Love others as you love yourself.
4. Why does Michel's wife walk ahead in their new walking place?
(a) She's hoping to lose her husband in the maze.
(b) She is power walking and he can't keep up.
(c) She wants to hurry back to the hotel.
(d) She wants to walk in sunshine rather than shade.
5. Why does Michel pick the location and house he does for their residence during his new job in Part 1, Chapter 9?
(a) Because it's big enough for grand parties.
(b) For it's serenity.
(c) For it's lively night life.
(d) For it's nature walks.
6. Why does Michel's wife initially invite the boy to come play in their hotel room?
(a) To cheer up Michel.
(b) To cheer up herself.
(c) To feed the starving boy.
(d) To care for the boy's wounds.
7. When is the last time the friends have all been together?
(a) At Michel's father's funeral three years ago.
(b) At Michel's wedding three years ago.
(c) At Michel's father's funeral last year.
(d) At Michel's wedding last year.
8. What thoughts does Michel have while watching his wife sleep after making love to her the first time?
(a) He is overcome with the staggering thought that he is tied down to her for life.
(b) He is overcome with love for her and appreciates her devotion.
(c) He is overcome with guilt for the feelings he has toward young boys.
(d) He is overcome with joy at the sheer physical experience.
9. What is the name of the country estate Michel and his wife decide to visit in Part 1, Chapter 9?
(a) La Marinara
(b) La Millionaire.
(c) La Moriniere.
(d) La Molinaire.
10. In Part 1, Chapter 8, to which city does Michel choose to walk?
11. How is the main character's story introduced in the book?
(a) By himself.
(b) By his wife.
(c) With a letter.
(d) By a young boy.
12. What does Michel rub his body with after jumping into a cold pond?
(a) Tree bark.
(b) Fresh mint leaves.
(c) Nearby flowers.
(d) Nearby wild sage.
13. Where does Michel recuperate from his illness on the honeymoon trip?
(a) At his Normandy estate.
(b) At the university.
(c) In the hotel.
(d) In the hospital.
14. In Part 1, Chapter 8, who completes driving the carriage into town?
(a) Michel's wife.
(b) A young boy.
(c) The carriage driver.
15. What sound does Michel hear as he approaches the town on foot in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) A carriage bearing down on the road.
(b) His wife's cries for help.
(c) A ship's whistle.
(d) A train approaching.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Michel realize he's never had a break from his studies?
2. What are Michel's studies that he returns to after his honeymoon?
3. Why does Michel grow to respect and love his wife during his illness?
4. Who gathers to see Michel on his daily walks?
5. Who is the first Arab boy invited to play in Michel's hotel room?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)