|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 3, who is Michel's favorite boy?
2. Why does Michel sunbathe nude and explore the craggy area?
(a) He likes to see women on the nude beaches.
(b) Because he is strange.
(c) Because spelunking is his hobby.
(d) In pursuit of vitality.
3. Why does Michel pick the location and house he does for their residence during his new job in Part 1, Chapter 9?
(a) For it's serenity.
(b) Because it's big enough for grand parties.
(c) For it's nature walks.
(d) For it's lively night life.
4. What is one obstacle in the relationship between Michel and his wife?
(a) Her religion.
(b) Her desire to have children.
(c) Her relationships with little boys.
(d) Her frugality.
5. Where does Michel's wife take him for small walks when he's able to venture out?
(a) In an orchard across town.
(b) In a park near the hotel.
(c) On the sidewalk in front of the hotel.
(d) In an alley behind the hotel.
6. With his new attitude at the end of Part 1, Chapters 5-7, how does Michel view each day?
(a) With anticipation of a new joy.
(b) With fear of his secret being discovered.
(c) With dread and concern.
(d) With anticipation that leads to ulcers.
7. How does Michel feel about the work he asked the barber to do?
(a) He is ahead of the trend by shaving off his mustache only.
(b) He wishes he'd never suggested the leeches.
(c) He thinks the goatee will impress the young goatherds he met on his honeymoon.
(d) He feels like people can read his thoughts more easily since he's not hiding behind a beard.
8. What does Michel read on his last night in Biskra when he can't sleep?
(a) A specific passage he looked up in his own Bible.
(b) A random passage in the hotel Bible.
(c) A specific passage he looked up in the hotel Bible.
(d) A random passage from his Bible.
9. Where does Michel recuperate from his illness on the honeymoon trip?
(a) At the university.
(b) In the hospital.
(c) In the hotel.
(d) At his Normandy estate.
10. What word or phrase best describes Michel's persona in Part 1, Chapters 5-7?
(a) Negative and very cruel to his wife.
(d) Positive, yet cruel to his wife.
11. In Part 1, Chapter 8, to which city does Michel choose to walk?
12. How does Michel regard his wife's feelings in Part 1, Chapters 5-7?
(a) He doesn't care if he hurts her feelings or not.
(b) Michel belittles his wife every chance he gets.
(c) He has a positive attitude and doesn't want to hurt her feelings.
(d) He sees her as a weak link since she is not as strong and beautiful as he himself.
13. Why does Michel want to tell his story?
(a) To see how his friends react.
(b) In order to be free.
(c) He wants to write a book.
(d) He needs their permission to use their names in his book.
14. What contributes to the delicate health Michel experiences early in the story?
(a) His sheltered and sedentary life.
(b) His dislike of sunlight.
(c) Lack of fresh fruits and vegetables.
(d) Lack of money for regular doctor visits.
15. What is the name of the country estate Michel and his wife decide to visit in Part 1, Chapter 9?
(a) La Millionaire.
(b) La Marinara
(c) La Molinaire.
(d) La Moriniere.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Michel and his wife settle down for him to resume his studies?
2. When does Michel realize he's never had a break from his studies?
3. What is the diagnosis the doctor gives Michel?
4. How does Michel's wife feel about seeing him take action in Part 1, Chapter 8?
5. What does Michel wonder about himself as he watches his wife sleep after they have made love for the first time?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)