|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Michel realize he's never had a break from his studies?
(a) When writing a letter.
(b) At his father's funeral.
(c) On his honeymoon.
(d) Talking with his friends.
2. How does Michel greet his friends outside when they arrive at his home?
(a) With no emotion or enthusiasm.
(b) With hugs and kisses on each side of the face.
(c) With a hearty handshake.
(d) He sends a butler to welcome them.
3. In Part 1, Chapters 5-7, what do Michel's physical changes mirror?
(a) His family's estate.
(b) His inner changes.
(c) An old, married man.
(d) His new hair-do.
4. What does Michel tell his wife he is doing while she walks ahead when they visit their new walking place?
(a) Resting in the shade.
(b) Playing marbles with the children.
(c) Meeting lots of new boys.
(d) Breathing exercises in the fresh air.
5. What does Michel read on his last night in Biskra when he can't sleep?
(a) A random passage from his Bible.
(b) A specific passage he looked up in his own Bible.
(c) A random passage in the hotel Bible.
(d) A specific passage he looked up in the hotel Bible.
6. In Part 1, Chapter 9, why does Michel doubt his ability to take good care of his wife?
(a) He knows his limits and capabilities, especially now that he's self-absorbed.
(b) He knows he isn't very smart.
(c) He doesn't like to do much work.
(d) He realizes he doesn't love her.
7. How long do Michel and his wife stay at the hotel while he recuperates?
(a) About four months.
(b) Amost a year.
(c) About four weeks.
(d) About six months.
8. How does Michel feel about the work he asked the barber to do?
(a) He thinks the goatee will impress the young goatherds he met on his honeymoon.
(b) He wishes he'd never suggested the leeches.
(c) He is ahead of the trend by shaving off his mustache only.
(d) He feels like people can read his thoughts more easily since he's not hiding behind a beard.
9. Which institution offers the job to Michel in Part 1, Chapter 9?
(a) The College of Normandy.
(b) Syracuse University.
(c) Die Universitat in Deutchland.
(d) The College de France.
10. At the end of Part 1, Chapters 5-7, what does the reader learn that Michel's change in attitude and appearance demonstrate?
(a) That Michel is leaving his old life behind and assuming a new identity.
(b) That Michel desires to be a trendsetter.
(c) That Michel loves tradition and convention.
(d) That Michel only wants his wife to be proud of him.
11. Who introduces Michel to more boys at the new walking place?
(a) His wife.
(b) A handsome 12-year-old goatherd.
(c) A deformed little boy.
12. What makes Michel realize his illness is getting serious during his honeymoon trip?
(a) His eyes begin to bleed.
(b) He coughs up blood.
(c) He has chest pains.
(d) He can't stop wheezing.
13. What contributes to the delicate health Michel experiences early in the story?
(a) Lack of fresh fruits and vegetables.
(b) His dislike of sunlight.
(c) His sheltered and sedentary life.
(d) Lack of money for regular doctor visits.
14. Why does Michel marry his wife?
(a) Because he had loved her all his life.
(b) He fell in love at first sight with her.
(c) To get citizenship.
(d) He promised his father he would.
15. In Part 1, Chapter 2, who sends Michel a letter and pamphlets regarding his illness?
(a) His brother-in-law.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) A friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michel wonder about himself as he watches his wife sleep after they have made love for the first time?
2. As Michel works aggressively toward a full recovery, what does Michel put aside to concentrate more on his physical recovery?
3. What is Michel really doing as his wife walks ahead at their new walking place?
4. What is the diagnosis the doctor gives Michel?
5. What happens the night Michel and his wife arrive at the destination they set out for in Part 1, Chapter 8?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)