|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Part 1, Chapters 5-7, what does the reader learn that Michel's change in attitude and appearance demonstrate?
(a) That Michel is leaving his old life behind and assuming a new identity.
(b) That Michel desires to be a trendsetter.
(c) That Michel loves tradition and convention.
(d) That Michel only wants his wife to be proud of him.
2. Why does Michel's wife initially invite the boy to come play in their hotel room?
(a) To care for the boy's wounds.
(b) To feed the starving boy.
(c) To cheer up Michel.
(d) To cheer up herself.
3. What is the diagnosis the doctor gives Michel?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 3, Michel returns to the hotel from a walk to find his wife...
(a) Reading his journal.
(b) With another man.
(c) Nursing an ill Arab boy.
(d) Is missing.
5. In Part 1, Chapter 9, where do Michel and his wife decide to visit before going home?
(a) Baskra and Tunisia.
(b) Normandy and Paris.
(c) Sorrento and London.
(d) Rome and Florence.
6. In Part 1, Chapter 3, Michel's wife introduces him to a new place to walk. What is this place?
(a) A park full of playground equipment.
(b) A pathway to an orchard.
(c) A shady grove of gardens.
(d) A grove of cypress trees.
7. Why does Michel grow to respect and love his wife during his illness?
(a) She has a beautiful voice and sings to him while he is sick.
(b) For her practicality and kindness in nursing him back to health.
(c) He knows she will have to make a living for the family.
(d) He appreciates her artwork.
8. Who gathers to see Michel on his daily walks?
(a) Old women from the market.
(b) Students who have read his books.
(c) His old friends.
(d) More and more Arab children.
9. How old is Michel's wife when they marry?
10. What contributes to the delicate health Michel experiences early in the story?
(a) Lack of money for regular doctor visits.
(b) His sheltered and sedentary life.
(c) His dislike of sunlight.
(d) Lack of fresh fruits and vegetables.
11. How does Michel feel about returning to his studies?
(a) He realizes he missed them.
(b) He liked the vacation, but is ready to study again.
(c) He hates them now.
(d) He is indifferent to his studies.
12. Who is the first Arab boy invited to play in Michel's hotel room?
13. What is the main character's nationality?
(b) South American.
14. What two major changes does Michel make to help him toward a full recovery?
(a) He eats heartier and insists on fresh air.
(b) He exercises daily and eats less.
(c) He eats less fat and insists on fresh air.
(d) He eats vegetables only and keeps his window closed.
15. In Part 1, Chapter 2, who sends Michel a letter and pamphlets regarding his illness?
(a) His father.
(b) His brother-in-law.
(c) A friend.
(d) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Michel and his wife shop on their honeymoon?
2. What is the name of the country estate Michel and his wife decide to visit in Part 1, Chapter 9?
3. How does Michel's wife feel about seeing him take action in Part 1, Chapter 8?
4. What surprises Michel about the work he and his father do together?
5. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 3, who is Michel's favorite boy?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)