|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Michel's wife sit on completion of her carriage ride into town in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) In the back.
(b) She walks beside the carriage.
(c) In the box next to Michel.
(d) On the back of the horse.
2. What does Michel's wife think about her husband's new persona?
(a) She hates it and becomes very angry.
(b) She is mildly unnerved.
(c) She doesn't mind as long as he's still got plenty of money.
(d) She is excited.
3. Why does Michel marry his wife?
(a) Because he had loved her all his life.
(b) To get citizenship.
(c) He fell in love at first sight with her.
(d) He promised his father he would.
4. How does Michel's wife feel about seeing him take action in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) She is mad.
(b) She is indifferent.
(c) She is embarrassed.
(d) She is impressed.
5. What contributes to the delicate health Michel experiences early in the story?
(a) His dislike of sunlight.
(b) His sheltered and sedentary life.
(c) Lack of fresh fruits and vegetables.
(d) Lack of money for regular doctor visits.
6. Who introduces Michel to more boys at the new walking place?
(b) A deformed little boy.
(c) A handsome 12-year-old goatherd.
(d) His wife.
7. In Part 1, Chapter 7, how does Michel try to act around his wife?
(a) Like he is better than she is.
(b) Like his old self in demeanor.
(c) Like her hero.
(d) Like a studly man she can be proud of.
8. In Part 1, Chapters 5-7, what do Michel's physical changes mirror?
(a) His inner changes.
(b) His new hair-do.
(c) His family's estate.
(d) An old, married man.
9. In Part 1, Chapter 9, why does Michel doubt his ability to take good care of his wife?
(a) He knows he isn't very smart.
(b) He doesn't like to do much work.
(c) He realizes he doesn't love her.
(d) He knows his limits and capabilities, especially now that he's self-absorbed.
10. Which house will Michel and his wife live in when he starts his new job?
(a) His family's country estate.
(b) They will build their own home.
(c) They will stay with his wife's brother.
(d) One they find to buy.
11. Why does Michel's wife walk ahead in their new walking place?
(a) She's hoping to lose her husband in the maze.
(b) She wants to walk in sunshine rather than shade.
(c) She wants to hurry back to the hotel.
(d) She is power walking and he can't keep up.
12. Which institution offers the job to Michel in Part 1, Chapter 9?
(a) Die Universitat in Deutchland.
(b) The College of Normandy.
(c) The College de France.
(d) Syracuse University.
13. What does Michel's wife immediately do when she learns he is sick?
(b) Calls for a doctor.
(c) Calls for room service.
14. As Michel's health improves he still experiences...
(a) No desire for his new wife.
(b) High fevers and chills.
(c) Restless sleep and sweats.
(d) Grief over the loss of his parents.
15. How does Michel greet his friends outside when they arrive at his home?
(a) With no emotion or enthusiasm.
(b) With hugs and kisses on each side of the face.
(c) With a hearty handshake.
(d) He sends a butler to welcome them.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Michel realize he's never had a break from his studies?
2. Who are the friends to which Michel confesses?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 8, who is driving the carriage in which Michel's wife is riding?
4. What does the information Michel receives in the mail regarding his illness show him?
5. What is the reason for Michel's feelings toward his studies?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)