|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the main character's story introduced in the book?
(a) With a letter.
(b) By himself.
(c) By his wife.
(d) By a young boy.
2. With his new attitude at the end of Part 1, Chapters 5-7, how does Michel view each day?
(a) With anticipation that leads to ulcers.
(b) With anticipation of a new joy.
(c) With fear of his secret being discovered.
(d) With dread and concern.
3. Which phrase does Michel use to describe the first time he makes love with his wife?
(a) "The joy made me want to laugh."
(b) "Living life for that very moment."
(c) "An old man should reach out his hands."
(d) "A momentary laughter in which our souls united."
4. What job is offered to Michel in Part 1, Chapter 9?
(a) Temporary writer.
(b) Temporary teaching position.
(c) Full time teaching position.
(d) Full time writer.
5. What does Michel's wife think about her husband's new persona?
(a) She doesn't mind as long as he's still got plenty of money.
(b) She is excited.
(c) She hates it and becomes very angry.
(d) She is mildly unnerved.
6. How does Michel greet his friends once they are inside his house?
(a) With hugs.
(b) By offering them tea.
(c) With a hearty handshake.
(d) With no emotion or enthusiasm.
7. What does the information Michel receives in the mail regarding his illness show him?
(a) The doctor misdiagnosed him.
(b) He has been taking the wrong medicine all along.
(c) The treatment he has been following is not appropriate for a full recovery.
(d) He should make use of leeches to get rid of the disease.
8. At the end of Part 1, Chapters 5-7, what does the reader learn that Michel's change in attitude and appearance demonstrate?
(a) That Michel only wants his wife to be proud of him.
(b) That Michel desires to be a trendsetter.
(c) That Michel loves tradition and convention.
(d) That Michel is leaving his old life behind and assuming a new identity.
9. In Part 1, Chapter 8, who collapses in front of Michel?
(a) A young boy.
(b) The horse pulling the carriage.
(c) His wife.
(d) The carriage driver.
10. Why does Michel grow to respect and love his wife during his illness?
(a) She has a beautiful voice and sings to him while he is sick.
(b) He knows she will have to make a living for the family.
(c) He appreciates her artwork.
(d) For her practicality and kindness in nursing him back to health.
11. Who gathers to see Michel on his daily walks?
(a) Old women from the market.
(b) His old friends.
(c) More and more Arab children.
(d) Students who have read his books.
12. What does Michel study during his scholarly life?
(a) German and French.
(c) Greek and Latin.
(d) Mathematics and science.
13. What is one obstacle in the relationship between Michel and his wife?
(a) Her frugality.
(b) Her relationships with little boys.
(c) Her desire to have children.
(d) Her religion.
14. In Part 1, Chapter 8, who is driving the carriage in which Michel's wife is riding?
(a) An old woman.
(b) A madman.
(c) His wife herself.
(d) A little boy.
15. What is the reason for Michel's feelings toward his studies?
(a) He cannot imagine life without being a scholar.
(b) He doesn't have anything to prove now that his father is dead.
(c) He hates the thought of anything dying or decaying.
(d) Taking a break made him appreciate school more.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Michel receive notification of his job offer in Part 1, Chapter 9?
2. How does Michel regard his wife's feelings in Part 1, Chapters 5-7?
3. Which house will Michel and his wife live in when he starts his new job?
4. What does Michel wonder about himself as he watches his wife sleep after they have made love for the first time?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 8, who completes driving the carriage into town?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)