|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 8, who completes driving the carriage into town?
(a) A young boy.
(b) The carriage driver.
(d) Michel's wife.
2. How old is Michel's wife when they marry?
3. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 3, who is Michel's favorite boy?
4. What is Michel really doing as his wife walks ahead at their new walking place?
(a) Meeting lots of new boys.
(b) Breathing exercises in the fresh air.
(c) Playing marbles with the children.
(d) Resting in the shade.
5. What does Michel ask the barber to do in Part 1, Chapter 7?
(a) To shave off his beard.
(b) To shave his mustache off.
(c) To use leeches to make him healthier.
(d) To give him a goatee.
6. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 7, Michel begins to see his life with...
(a) Shame instead of joy.
(b) Fear instead of joy.
(c) Joy instead of shame.
(d) Joy instead of fear.
7. What does Michel wonder about himself as he watches his wife sleep after they have made love for the first time?
(a) Whether she would expect him to complete his studies.
(b) Whether he could ever return her devotion if she were sick.
(c) Whether he would ever be able to leave her.
(d) Whether she would join him in his quest for vitality.
8. Why does Michel's wife walk ahead in their new walking place?
(a) She's hoping to lose her husband in the maze.
(b) She is power walking and he can't keep up.
(c) She wants to walk in sunshine rather than shade.
(d) She wants to hurry back to the hotel.
9. What is the main character's nationality?
(c) South American.
10. How does Michel feel on his last night in Biskra?
(a) Like he wants to write a book.
(b) So alive that everything else seems dead.
(c) Like he's ready to get back to his studies.
(d) Like he's going to have a relapse.
11. In Part 1, Chapter 9, where do Michel and his wife decide to visit before going home?
(a) Sorrento and London.
(b) Normandy and Paris.
(c) Rome and Florence.
(d) Baskra and Tunisia.
12. In Part 1, Chapter 8, who is driving the carriage in which Michel's wife is riding?
(a) An old woman.
(b) His wife herself.
(c) A little boy.
(d) A madman.
13. What does one of the Arab boys steal from Michel's hotel room?
(a) A pair of reading glasses.
(b) Coins and candy.
(c) A loaf of bread.
(d) A pair of scissors.
14. What contributes to the delicate health Michel experiences early in the story?
(a) Lack of money for regular doctor visits.
(b) Lack of fresh fruits and vegetables.
(c) His dislike of sunlight.
(d) His sheltered and sedentary life.
15. In Part 1, Chapter 8, what does Michel do to the carriage driver?
(a) Yells for him to slow down.
(b) Knocks him out of the carriage and leaves him on the side of the road.
(c) Beats him then throws him to the back of the carriage.
(d) Tips him for safely delivering his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound does Michel hear as he approaches the town on foot in Part 1, Chapter 8?
2. Why is Michel walking to the city in Part 1, Chapter 8?
3. What does the information Michel receives in the mail regarding his illness show him?
4. What is the diagnosis the doctor gives Michel?
5. How is the main character's story introduced in the book?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)