|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 7, Michel begins to see himself as...
(a) A lucky husband.
(b) Beautiful, strong, and sensual.
(c) A workout guru.
(d) Meek, weak, and plain.
2. In Part 1, Chapter 3, Michel returns to the hotel from a walk to find his wife...
(a) Reading his journal.
(b) Nursing an ill Arab boy.
(c) Is missing.
(d) With another man.
3. How does Michel feel about returning to his studies?
(a) He realizes he missed them.
(b) He hates them now.
(c) He liked the vacation, but is ready to study again.
(d) He is indifferent to his studies.
4. Which phrase does Michel use to describe the first time he makes love with his wife?
(a) "A momentary laughter in which our souls united."
(b) "Living life for that very moment."
(c) "The joy made me want to laugh."
(d) "An old man should reach out his hands."
5. How does Michel greet his friends once they are inside his house?
(a) With no emotion or enthusiasm.
(b) With hugs.
(c) By offering them tea.
(d) With a hearty handshake.
6. In Part 1, Chapter 8, what does Michel do to the carriage driver?
(a) Yells for him to slow down.
(b) Knocks him out of the carriage and leaves him on the side of the road.
(c) Beats him then throws him to the back of the carriage.
(d) Tips him for safely delivering his wife.
7. At the end of Part 1, Chapters 5-7, what does the reader learn that Michel's change in attitude and appearance demonstrate?
(a) That Michel only wants his wife to be proud of him.
(b) That Michel desires to be a trendsetter.
(c) That Michel loves tradition and convention.
(d) That Michel is leaving his old life behind and assuming a new identity.
8. How does Michel greet his friends outside when they arrive at his home?
(a) With no emotion or enthusiasm.
(b) With hugs and kisses on each side of the face.
(c) With a hearty handshake.
(d) He sends a butler to welcome them.
9. What is the diagnosis the doctor gives Michel?
10. To how many friends does Michel confess?
11. With his new attitude at the end of Part 1, Chapters 5-7, how does Michel view each day?
(a) With anticipation of a new joy.
(b) With fear of his secret being discovered.
(c) With anticipation that leads to ulcers.
(d) With dread and concern.
12. What does one of the Arab boys steal from Michel's hotel room?
(a) Coins and candy.
(b) A pair of reading glasses.
(c) A pair of scissors.
(d) A loaf of bread.
13. What does the information Michel receives in the mail regarding his illness show him?
(a) The treatment he has been following is not appropriate for a full recovery.
(b) He should make use of leeches to get rid of the disease.
(c) The doctor misdiagnosed him.
(d) He has been taking the wrong medicine all along.
14. What is the reason for Michel's feelings toward his studies?
(a) He hates the thought of anything dying or decaying.
(b) Taking a break made him appreciate school more.
(c) He doesn't have anything to prove now that his father is dead.
(d) He cannot imagine life without being a scholar.
15. When does Michel realize he's never had a break from his studies?
(a) When writing a letter.
(b) Talking with his friends.
(c) At his father's funeral.
(d) On his honeymoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michel rub his body with after jumping into a cold pond?
2. Where does Michel recuperate from his illness on the honeymoon trip?
3. Michel ghostwrites books for...
4. Why does Michel marry his wife?
5. Where is the first stop for Michel and his wife when they leave Biskra?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)