|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 3, Michel returns to the hotel from a walk to find his wife...
(a) Reading his journal.
(b) With another man.
(c) Nursing an ill Arab boy.
(d) Is missing.
2. What is Michel really doing as his wife walks ahead at their new walking place?
(a) Resting in the shade.
(b) Playing marbles with the children.
(c) Breathing exercises in the fresh air.
(d) Meeting lots of new boys.
3. How long do Michel and his wife stay at the hotel while he recuperates?
(a) About four months.
(b) About four weeks.
(c) About six months.
(d) Amost a year.
4. How is the main character's story introduced in the book?
(a) With a letter.
(b) By his wife.
(c) By a young boy.
(d) By himself.
5. Where do Michel and his wife shop on their honeymoon?
6. What sound does Michel hear as he approaches the town on foot in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) A ship's whistle.
(b) A train approaching.
(c) A carriage bearing down on the road.
(d) His wife's cries for help.
7. What job is offered to Michel in Part 1, Chapter 9?
(a) Full time teaching position.
(b) Full time writer.
(c) Temporary writer.
(d) Temporary teaching position.
8. Upon accepting the job offered in Part 1, Chapter 9, in which town does Michel decide he and his wife will live?
9. How does Michel receive notification of his job offer in Part 1, Chapter 9?
(a) In a telegraph.
(b) In person.
(c) In a phone call.
(d) In a letter.
10. As Michel's health improves he still experiences...
(a) Restless sleep and sweats.
(b) High fevers and chills.
(c) No desire for his new wife.
(d) Grief over the loss of his parents.
11. How does Michel feel about returning to his studies?
(a) He hates them now.
(b) He realizes he missed them.
(c) He liked the vacation, but is ready to study again.
(d) He is indifferent to his studies.
12. Why does Michel prefer to take his walks alone?
(a) So he can walk slower due to his limp.
(b) So he can think about his health.
(c) So his wife won't distract him from interacting with the children.
(d) So he can grieve over his mother's death.
13. How does Michel feel about the work he asked the barber to do?
(a) He feels like people can read his thoughts more easily since he's not hiding behind a beard.
(b) He is ahead of the trend by shaving off his mustache only.
(c) He thinks the goatee will impress the young goatherds he met on his honeymoon.
(d) He wishes he'd never suggested the leeches.
14. Where does Michel recuperate from his illness on the honeymoon trip?
(a) In the hospital.
(b) At the university.
(c) At his Normandy estate.
(d) In the hotel.
15. When does Michel realize he's never had a break from his studies?
(a) At his father's funeral.
(b) When writing a letter.
(c) Talking with his friends.
(d) On his honeymoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Michel's wife when they marry?
2. What does Michel wonder about himself as he watches his wife sleep after they have made love for the first time?
3. How does Michel greet his friends once they are inside his house?
4. Why does Michel's wife walk ahead in their new walking place?
5. What thoughts does Michel have while watching his wife sleep after making love to her the first time?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)