|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Michel study during his scholarly life?
(b) German and French.
(c) Mathematics and science.
(d) Greek and Latin.
2. What best summarizes the passage Michel read when he couldn't sleep on his last night in Biskra?
(a) Not to covet neighbors.
(b) A young man walks where he should, but an older man should stretch out his hands.
(c) Love others as you love yourself.
(d) An old man walks where he should, but a younger man should stretch out his hands.
3. What sound does Michel hear as he approaches the town on foot in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) His wife's cries for help.
(b) A carriage bearing down on the road.
(c) A train approaching.
(d) A ship's whistle.
4. Upon accepting the job offered in Part 1, Chapter 9, in which town does Michel decide he and his wife will live?
5. What startles the boy who comes to play in Michel's hotel room?
(a) Michel's collection of skulls.
(b) Michel's wife.
(c) Michel's father.
(d) Michel's ghastly appearance.
6. Why is Michel walking to the city in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) To meet young boys.
(b) For fun.
(c) To pick up a delivery.
(d) To meet his wife's carriage.
7. What does Michel tell his wife he is doing while she walks ahead when they visit their new walking place?
(a) Meeting lots of new boys.
(b) Resting in the shade.
(c) Breathing exercises in the fresh air.
(d) Playing marbles with the children.
8. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 3, who is Michel's favorite boy?
9. Who is the protagonist of The Immoralist?
10. How does Michel receive notification of his job offer in Part 1, Chapter 9?
(a) In a phone call.
(b) In person.
(c) In a telegraph.
(d) In a letter.
11. Michel ghostwrites books for...
(a) An educational company.
(b) His university.
(c) His father.
(d) The king.
12. How does Michel feel on his last night in Biskra?
(a) Like he's going to have a relapse.
(b) Like he wants to write a book.
(c) So alive that everything else seems dead.
(d) Like he's ready to get back to his studies.
13. When is the last time the friends have all been together?
(a) At Michel's wedding three years ago.
(b) At Michel's wedding last year.
(c) At Michel's father's funeral three years ago.
(d) At Michel's father's funeral last year.
14. Which phrase does Michel use to describe the first time he makes love with his wife?
(a) "Living life for that very moment."
(b) "The joy made me want to laugh."
(c) "An old man should reach out his hands."
(d) "A momentary laughter in which our souls united."
15. What is the main character's nationality?
(d) South American.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Michel greet his friends outside when they arrive at his home?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 9, the couple spends several happy days in which town first?
3. Why does Michel prefer to take his walks alone?
4. What is Michel really doing as his wife walks ahead at their new walking place?
5. How does Michel feel about returning to his studies?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)