|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Michel feel about returning to his studies?
(a) He hates them now.
(b) He realizes he missed them.
(c) He liked the vacation, but is ready to study again.
(d) He is indifferent to his studies.
2. Why does Michel want to tell his story?
(a) In order to be free.
(b) He wants to write a book.
(c) He needs their permission to use their names in his book.
(d) To see how his friends react.
3. What does one of the Arab boys steal from Michel's hotel room?
(a) A pair of reading glasses.
(b) Coins and candy.
(c) A pair of scissors.
(d) A loaf of bread.
4. Why does Michel marry his wife?
(a) To get citizenship.
(b) Because he had loved her all his life.
(c) He promised his father he would.
(d) He fell in love at first sight with her.
5. What two major changes does Michel make to help him toward a full recovery?
(a) He eats vegetables only and keeps his window closed.
(b) He eats less fat and insists on fresh air.
(c) He exercises daily and eats less.
(d) He eats heartier and insists on fresh air.
6. How does Michel feel on his last night in Biskra?
(a) Like he's going to have a relapse.
(b) Like he wants to write a book.
(c) Like he's ready to get back to his studies.
(d) So alive that everything else seems dead.
7. What does Michel's wife immediately do when she learns he is sick?
(c) Calls for room service.
(d) Calls for a doctor.
8. Where does Michel recuperate from his illness on the honeymoon trip?
(a) At his Normandy estate.
(b) In the hospital.
(c) At the university.
(d) In the hotel.
9. As Michel's health improves he still experiences...
(a) No desire for his new wife.
(b) High fevers and chills.
(c) Restless sleep and sweats.
(d) Grief over the loss of his parents.
10. Where do Michel and his wife shop on their honeymoon?
11. With his new attitude at the end of Part 1, Chapters 5-7, how does Michel view each day?
(a) With fear of his secret being discovered.
(b) With anticipation of a new joy.
(c) With dread and concern.
(d) With anticipation that leads to ulcers.
12. In Part 1, Chapter 7, Michel begins to see himself as...
(a) Beautiful, strong, and sensual.
(b) A lucky husband.
(c) Meek, weak, and plain.
(d) A workout guru.
13. What is the final destination of Michel's honeymoon trip?
14. In Part 1, Chapters 5-7, what do Michel's physical changes mirror?
(a) His inner changes.
(b) An old, married man.
(c) His family's estate.
(d) His new hair-do.
15. What contributes to the delicate health Michel experiences early in the story?
(a) Lack of money for regular doctor visits.
(b) His sheltered and sedentary life.
(c) Lack of fresh fruits and vegetables.
(d) His dislike of sunlight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michel wonder about himself as he watches his wife sleep after they have made love for the first time?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 9, where do Michel and his wife decide to visit before going home?
3. What sound does Michel hear as he approaches the town on foot in Part 1, Chapter 8?
4. What does Michel's wife do while he is sick?
5. What is the diagnosis the doctor gives Michel?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)