|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Michel about the work he and his father do together?
(a) The wealth they accumulate.
(b) How much more work remains.
(c) Nothing -- Michel runs the show.
(d) How little they are paid.
2. In Part 1, Chapter 3, Michel's wife introduces him to a new place to walk. What is this place?
(a) A park full of playground equipment.
(b) A shady grove of gardens.
(c) A grove of cypress trees.
(d) A pathway to an orchard.
3. How does Michel feel about returning to his studies?
(a) He liked the vacation, but is ready to study again.
(b) He hates them now.
(c) He is indifferent to his studies.
(d) He realizes he missed them.
4. In Part 1, Chapter 8, what does Michel do to the carriage driver?
(a) Tips him for safely delivering his wife.
(b) Beats him then throws him to the back of the carriage.
(c) Yells for him to slow down.
(d) Knocks him out of the carriage and leaves him on the side of the road.
5. Upon accepting the job offered in Part 1, Chapter 9, in which town does Michel decide he and his wife will live?
6. Why is Michel walking to the city in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) For fun.
(b) To meet his wife's carriage.
(c) To meet young boys.
(d) To pick up a delivery.
7. In Part 1, Chapters 5-7, what do Michel's physical changes mirror?
(a) His inner changes.
(b) His family's estate.
(c) His new hair-do.
(d) An old, married man.
8. In Part 1, Chapter 3, Michel returns to the hotel from a walk to find his wife...
(a) Reading his journal.
(b) Nursing an ill Arab boy.
(c) With another man.
(d) Is missing.
9. In Part 1, Chapter 9, where do Michel and his wife decide to visit before going home?
(a) Rome and Florence.
(b) Baskra and Tunisia.
(c) Sorrento and London.
(d) Normandy and Paris.
10. How does Michel feel on his last night in Biskra?
(a) Like he wants to write a book.
(b) Like he's ready to get back to his studies.
(c) So alive that everything else seems dead.
(d) Like he's going to have a relapse.
11. How does Michel regard his wife's feelings in Part 1, Chapters 5-7?
(a) Michel belittles his wife every chance he gets.
(b) He has a positive attitude and doesn't want to hurt her feelings.
(c) He doesn't care if he hurts her feelings or not.
(d) He sees her as a weak link since she is not as strong and beautiful as he himself.
12. Where does Michel recuperate from his illness on the honeymoon trip?
(a) At the university.
(b) At his Normandy estate.
(c) In the hotel.
(d) In the hospital.
13. To how many friends does Michel confess?
14. What does Michel study during his scholarly life?
(a) German and French.
(b) Greek and Latin.
(d) Mathematics and science.
15. Who are the friends to which Michel confesses?
(a) Denis and Daniel.
(c) Denis, Daniel, Menalgue, Biskra.
(d) Denis, Daniel, and an unnamed friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do Michel and his wife stay at the hotel while he recuperates?
2. What does Michel's wife do while he is sick?
3. What is the final destination of Michel's honeymoon trip?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 8, to which city does Michel choose to walk?
5. What word or phrase best describes Michel's persona in Part 1, Chapters 5-7?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)