|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 1, Chapter 8, what does Michel do to the carriage driver?
(a) Knocks him out of the carriage and leaves him on the side of the road.
(b) Beats him then throws him to the back of the carriage.
(c) Yells for him to slow down.
(d) Tips him for safely delivering his wife.
2. What does Michel rub his body with after jumping into a cold pond?
(a) Nearby flowers.
(b) Nearby wild sage.
(c) Fresh mint leaves.
(d) Tree bark.
3. Upon accepting the job offered in Part 1, Chapter 9, in which town does Michel decide he and his wife will live?
4. Who gathers to see Michel on his daily walks?
(a) More and more Arab children.
(b) Students who have read his books.
(c) Old women from the market.
(d) His old friends.
5. Who are the friends to which Michel confesses?
(a) Denis and Daniel.
(b) Denis, Daniel, and an unnamed friend.
(d) Denis, Daniel, Menalgue, Biskra.
6. Why do Michel and his wife decide to leave the hotel?
(a) The expense is getting ridiculous.
(b) They are fighting and want to get back home.
(c) They want a change of scenery.
(d) Harsh winter weather is approaching.
7. Where is the first stop for Michel and his wife when they leave Biskra?
8. What is the reason for Michel's feelings toward his studies?
(a) Taking a break made him appreciate school more.
(b) He hates the thought of anything dying or decaying.
(c) He cannot imagine life without being a scholar.
(d) He doesn't have anything to prove now that his father is dead.
9. What does Michel ask the barber to do in Part 1, Chapter 7?
(a) To shave off his beard.
(b) To shave his mustache off.
(c) To use leeches to make him healthier.
(d) To give him a goatee.
10. When does Michel's mother die?
(a) When he is 15.
(b) When he is 35.
(c) Shortly before his wedding.
(d) Shortly after his wedding.
11. In Part 1, Chapter 8, to which city does Michel choose to walk?
12. Why does Michel's wife walk ahead in their new walking place?
(a) She wants to walk in sunshine rather than shade.
(b) She wants to hurry back to the hotel.
(c) She's hoping to lose her husband in the maze.
(d) She is power walking and he can't keep up.
13. What does Michel wonder about himself as he watches his wife sleep after they have made love for the first time?
(a) Whether she would expect him to complete his studies.
(b) Whether he would ever be able to leave her.
(c) Whether she would join him in his quest for vitality.
(d) Whether he could ever return her devotion if she were sick.
14. At the end of Part 1, Chapter 3, who is Michel's favorite boy?
15. What does Michel's weakened condition show him?
(a) How to make shadow puppets as he lies in bed.
(b) That he does not love his new wife.
(c) Little things he's taken for granted before.
(d) That he hates school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Michel find when he returns to the new walking place alone one evening?
2. When does Michel realize he's never had a break from his studies?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 8, who completes driving the carriage into town?
4. What is the name of the country estate Michel and his wife decide to visit in Part 1, Chapter 9?
5. What is the final destination of Michel's honeymoon trip?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)