|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapters 8 and 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens the night Michel and his wife arrive at the destination they set out for in Part 1, Chapter 8?
(a) They consummate their marriage.
(b) They argue over the carriage incident.
(c) They entertain small boys in their hotel room.
(d) They go shopping.
2. How does Michel regard his wife's feelings in Part 1, Chapters 5-7?
(a) He has a positive attitude and doesn't want to hurt her feelings.
(b) He doesn't care if he hurts her feelings or not.
(c) He sees her as a weak link since she is not as strong and beautiful as he himself.
(d) Michel belittles his wife every chance he gets.
3. What does one of the Arab boys steal from Michel's hotel room?
(a) Coins and candy.
(b) A loaf of bread.
(c) A pair of scissors.
(d) A pair of reading glasses.
4. What contributes to the delicate health Michel experiences early in the story?
(a) His dislike of sunlight.
(b) Lack of money for regular doctor visits.
(c) His sheltered and sedentary life.
(d) Lack of fresh fruits and vegetables.
5. Which phrase does Michel use to describe the first time he makes love with his wife?
(a) "The joy made me want to laugh."
(b) "An old man should reach out his hands."
(c) "Living life for that very moment."
(d) "A momentary laughter in which our souls united."
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Michel walking to the city in Part 1, Chapter 8?
2. Why does Michel grow to respect and love his wife during his illness?
3. Why does Michel's wife walk ahead in their new walking place?
4. How is the main character's story introduced in the book?
5. How does Michel greet his friends once they are inside his house?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)