Part 1, Chapter 1
• Novel begins with a letter written by an anonymous friend of Michel's to the friend's brother.
• Letter says Michel's state of mind is in question.
• Letter asks the brother not to judge Michel harshly.
• Letter explains that it has been three years since this friend and two others have seen Michel.
• Michel greets friends with a cool manner outside.
• Michel hugs friends when they come into his home.
• After dinner, Michel thanks his friends for coming and tells them he needs to tell his story.
• Michel explains that he needs to tell his story in order to be free of guilt.
• Michel tells his friends that he did not know Marceline well when they married.
• Michel marries Marceline to fulfill a promise to his dying father.
• Michel explains that the gravity of his marriage hit him while on a ship traveling to their honeymoon destination.
This section contains 1,844 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)