* Novel begins with a letter written by an anonymous friend of Michel's to the friend's brother.
* Letter says Michel's state of mind is in question.
* Letter asks the brother not to judge Michel harshly.
* Letter explains that it has been three years since this friend and two others have seen Michel.
* Michel greets friends with a cool manner outside.
* Michel hugs friends when they come into his home.
* After dinner, Michel thanks his friends for coming and tells them he needs to tell his story.
* Michel explains that he needs to tell his story in order to be free of guilt.
* Michel tells his friends that he did not know Marceline well when they married.
* Michel marries Marceline to fulfill a promise to his dying father.
* Michel explains that the gravity of his marriage hit him while on a ship traveling to their honeymoon destination.
This section contains 1,644 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)