|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 19, whom does Toinette believe may hear something surprising?
2. How is the similarity between the doctor and Toinette explained?
3. Whom does the new doctor leave to speak to?
4. Why does Argan first refuse Cleante's proposal?
5. Argan will agree to let Cleante marry Angelique under what condition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Moliere is himself extremely ill at the time of the play's premiere, in which he plays Argan himself. After collapsing on stage toward the end of the fourth performance, he goes home and dies. Discuss the irony of Moliere writing a play about an imaginary invalid when he himself is actually ill. What do you think Moliere is trying to say?
Essay Topic 2
Several characters in the play overcome obstacles to achieve their goals. Choose one character and write an essay describing the obstacle they face and how they succeed despite it.
Essay Topic 3
Argan's illnesses are a central theme to the play. Write an essay explaining why Argan is constantly deceiving himself into thinking he is ill. What are his motivations for this deception and how does it affect the rest of his family?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)