|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Argan that he should listen to the new doctor's advice?
2. How is the similarity between the doctor and Toinette explained?
3. In Act 3, Scene 17, what does Argan fear is a dangerous activity?
4. In Act 3, Scene 12, what does Toinette promise Argan before she leaves the room?
5. Where does Toinette eventually get Argan's glass of water?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The importance of education is a focal point for Argan and others in the play. Discuss the importance of education in today's society. How does in compare to the era of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Devotion plays a key role in "The Imaginary Invalid". There is Angelique's devotion to Cleante, Argan's devotion to his illnesses and Beline's devotion to Argan's fortune to name a few. Is Moliere making the statement that devotion is always or never rewarded? What other characters in the play exhibit this characteristic and is their reward for their devotion?
Essay Topic 3
Argan's illnesses are a central theme to the play. Write an essay explaining why Argan is constantly deceiving himself into thinking he is ill. What are his motivations for this deception and how does it affect the rest of his family?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)