|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 12, what reason does Toinette give for needing to leave the room?
2. How does Toinette describe Argan's house?
3. What is Argan glad to have learned about Beline?
4. Whom does the new doctor name as the two worst doctors in Paris without exception?
5. Who says, "When the surgeon comes, send him away."?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argan's illnesses are a central theme to the play. Write an essay explaining why Argan is constantly deceiving himself into thinking he is ill. What are his motivations for this deception and how does it affect the rest of his family?
Essay Topic 2
In earlier versions of the play, Beralde and Toinette are romantically involved. How does this change the outcome of the play? What do you think the reasons are for Moliere changing this in the final version?
Essay Topic 3
Secrecy is a recurring device used throughout the play. Write an essay detailing how one of the characters in the play hides their true intentions or motives. Why do they keep their motives secret? Is their secrecy successful in achieving their goal?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)