|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does the new doctor refer to as both charming and pretty?
2. Who says, "Dead as mutton"?
3. What body parts does the new doctor suggest Argan have removed?
4. Through the use of non-verbal communication, what does Toinette try to tell Angelique?
5. How does the new doctor refer to Thomas Diaforus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether or not it is ethical for a doctor to treat a patient that is not actually ill. If the outcome of the treatment is positive, does the doctor still have an obligation to be truthful? What are the moral implications of Dr. Purgon and Thomas Diaforus and his father treating Argan?
Essay Topic 2
Argan's illnesses are a central theme to the play. Write an essay explaining why Argan is constantly deceiving himself into thinking he is ill. What are his motivations for this deception and how does it affect the rest of his family?
Essay Topic 3
Who is it that is the master of the house? Who holds the deciding power? Which characters gain or lose influence over the household in the course of the play?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)