|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Argan he must do as Angelique wishes, now that she has proven herself?
2. Who says, "Don't talk such drivel"?
3. Why does Argan first refuse Cleante's proposal?
4. What subject does Beralde bring up once the new doctor is gone?
5. In Act 3, Scene 8, how does Toinette describe the visitor coming to see Argan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is it that is the master of the house? Who holds the deciding power? Which characters gain or lose influence over the household in the course of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Argan's illnesses are a central theme to the play. Write an essay explaining why Argan is constantly deceiving himself into thinking he is ill. What are his motivations for this deception and how does it affect the rest of his family?
Essay Topic 3
Secrecy is a recurring device used throughout the play. Write an essay detailing how one of the characters in the play hides their true intentions or motives. Why do they keep their motives secret? Is their secrecy successful in achieving their goal?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)