|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Toinette believe loves Argan with all her heart?
2. What does Beralde believe all achievements require?
3. How does Toinette describe Argan's house?
4. In Act 3, Scene 16, to prove Beline's love, what does Toinette ask Argan to pretend?
5. Why does Toinette say the new doctor has not returned?
Essay Topic 1
Several characters in the play overcome obstacles to achieve their goals. Choose one character and write an essay describing the obstacle they face and how they succeed despite it.
Essay Topic 2
A central theme of this play is the internal struggle of mind versus body. There is credible doubt as to whether Argan is truly sick or if he is imagining his illness. Write an essay discussing another internal conflict presented in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Secrecy is a recurring device used throughout the play. Write an essay detailing how one of the characters in the play hides their true intentions or motives. Why do they keep their motives secret? Is their secrecy successful in achieving their goal?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)