|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Toinette believe loves Argan with all her heart?
2. What does Beralde believe all achievements require?
3. How does Toinette describe Argan's house?
4. In Act 3, Scene 16, to prove Beline's love, what does Toinette ask Argan to pretend?
5. Why does Toinette say the new doctor has not returned?
Essay Topic 1
Argan's illnesses are a central theme to the play. Write an essay explaining why Argan is constantly deceiving himself into thinking he is ill. What are his motivations for this deception and how does it affect the rest of his family?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing how Argan is altered by the end of the play. What does he learn about himself and the other characters in the play?
Essay Topic 3
One of the central themes of the play is that reality and appearances are hard to tell apart. Discuss instances of this occurring in the play and what you think Moliere is trying to say through this theme.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)