|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Toinette say works a miracle?
2. How is the similarity between the doctor and Toinette explained?
3. In Act 3, Scene 20, why is Angelique most distressed?
4. In Act 3, Scene 21, whom does Toinette announce has appeared in the doorway?
5. How old does Argan think the new doctor is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is it that is the master of the house? Who holds the deciding power? Which characters gain or lose influence over the household in the course of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Do you believe Argan really thinks he is sick? Why does he create these illnesses for himself?
Essay Topic 3
Moliere is himself extremely ill at the time of the play's premiere, in which he plays Argan himself. After collapsing on stage toward the end of the fourth performance, he goes home and dies. Discuss the irony of Moliere writing a play about an imaginary invalid when he himself is actually ill. What do you think Moliere is trying to say?
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)