|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Beline say is caterwauling?
2. Who says, "I don't like the idea at all"?
3. In Act 3, Scene 16, to prove Beline's love, what does Toinette ask Argan to pretend?
4. Why does Angelique say she cannot marry Cleante?
5. Who comments on all the mysterious doors in Argan's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing how Argan is altered by the end of the play. What does he learn about himself and the other characters in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Argan's illnesses are a central theme to the play. Write an essay explaining why Argan is constantly deceiving himself into thinking he is ill. What are his motivations for this deception and how does it affect the rest of his family?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether or not it is ethical for a doctor to treat a patient that is not actually ill. If the outcome of the treatment is positive, does the doctor still have an obligation to be truthful? What are the moral implications of Dr. Purgon and Thomas Diaforus and his father treating Argan?
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)