|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new profession does Beralde suggest for Argan?
2. Who does Beralde send to fetch the faculty?
3. Who reassures Argan that the new doctor's disappearance is nothing to worry about?
4. Whom does Toinette say works a miracle?
5. Whom does the new doctor refer to as both charming and pretty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether or not it is ethical for a doctor to treat a patient that is not actually ill. If the outcome of the treatment is positive, does the doctor still have an obligation to be truthful? What are the moral implications of Dr. Purgon and Thomas Diaforus and his father treating Argan?
Essay Topic 2
Several characters in the play overcome obstacles to achieve their goals. Choose one character and write an essay describing the obstacle they face and how they succeed despite it.
Essay Topic 3
Moliere is himself extremely ill at the time of the play's premiere, in which he plays Argan himself. After collapsing on stage toward the end of the fourth performance, he goes home and dies. Discuss the irony of Moliere writing a play about an imaginary invalid when he himself is actually ill. What do you think Moliere is trying to say?
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)