|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is scolded for aggravating Argan?
2. What is the name of the person that beats Louison?
3. This person arrives before Toinette can leave to find them.
4. The operetta performed is the story of what two people?
5. In Act Three, Scene Six, what warning does Mr. Purgon issue to Argan regarding his health?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Argan's desire to have his children cut out of his will further demonstrate his obsession with his illnesses?
2. How does Cleante's presence aid in Angelique's portrayal of remorse at her father's death?
3. What is the reason that Mr. Purgon cut all ties with Argan once his prescription was refused?
4. How is Argan's belief that he is an important man reinforced by the new doctor's appearance?
5. How does Beralde use Argan's own fears to help further Toinette's plans?
6. What two opinions do Beralde and Toinette have in common?
7. How is foreshadowing used in Beline's admittance of her true feelings for Argan?
8. How do Beralde and the players manage to convince Argan that the ceremony to make him a doctor is valid?
9. Besides fear of his own death, what does Argan fear his pretending may cause to occur?
10. As Angelique leaves, how do Argan's actions show his selfishness increasing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe an instance in the play when a secret is kept. Is the truth hidden for a noble purpose? Is the objective a selfish one? How does keeping the secret make that character feel? Is lying ever a justifiable action?
Essay Topic 2
Devotion plays a key role in "The Imaginary Invalid". There is Angelique's devotion to Cleante, Argan's devotion to his illnesses and Beline's devotion to Argan's fortune to name a few. Is Moliere making the statement that devotion is always or never rewarded? What other characters in the play exhibit this characteristic and is their reward for their devotion?
Essay Topic 3
Secrecy is a recurring device used throughout the play. Write an essay detailing how one of the characters in the play hides their true intentions or motives. Why do they keep their motives secret? Is their secrecy successful in achieving their goal?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)