|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Beralde believe that Angelique's husband should be chosen?
2. Who is the speech that Thomas Diaforus mistakenly delivers to Angelique actually intended for?
3. To whom does Argan wish his fortune to go to upon his death?
4. What does Beline say she cannot live without?
5. Why does Argan's brother say he has come to see him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Beralde use Argan's own illness to demonstrate that Argan was not ill?
2. How does the conversation between Angelique and Toinette demonstrate the high regard that Toinette has achieved in the house?
3. How is it demonstrated that Toinette is a trusted employee?
4. What are some of the possible motives for Beralde sending Mr. Fleurant away?
5. How does Beralde use Argan's illness to allow Toinette to leave to find the doctor?
6. How is foreshadowing used in the announcement of the arrival of Thomas Diaforus?
7. How does Toinette, as the doctor, use flattery to aid in the deception in Act 3, Scene 14?
8. In Act 3, Scene 2, what recurring plot point is introduced in the conversation between Beralde and Toinette?
9. How does Argan's selfishness come to light, even in his new found realizations about Angelique's feelings?
10. How does Argan's action of talking to himself further demonstrate his obsession with his illnesses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Obsession is a prevalent theme in the play. Using the play as an example, how do you behave if you are obsessed with love? With medicine? With food?
Essay Topic 2
Do you believe Argan really thinks he is sick? Why does he create these illnesses for himself?
Essay Topic 3
Does desire and obsession cloud the ability to see the truth? What examples in the play demonstrate a desire that clouds someone's judgment or encourages them to act a certain way?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)