|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is told to wait with Angelique for an announcement?
2. Who is the person pretending to have an ankle injury?
3. Whom does Toinette see talking to themselves?
4. What profession does Argan believe is best for a future son-in-law?
5. Why does Beralde call Argan a fool?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason that Mr. Purgon cut all ties with Argan once his prescription was refused?
2. How does Argan's action of talking to himself further demonstrate his obsession with his illnesses?
3. How did Beralde use Argan's own illness to demonstrate that Argan was not ill?
4. As Angelique leaves, how do Argan's actions show his selfishness increasing?
5. How does Toinette manage to convince Argan that she is two people?
6. What are some of the possible motives for Beralde sending Mr. Fleurant away?
7. How does Toinette affect Angelique's discovery of her fathers death?
8. In Act 3, Scene 10, how does Toinette appearance demonstrate Argan's obsession with his illnesses?
9. How does the doctor deflect Argan's inquiries about his resemblance to Toinette?
10. How does the operetta that is performed show both Cleante and Angelique's feelings are true?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argan's illnesses are a central theme to the play. Write an essay explaining why Argan is constantly deceiving himself into thinking he is ill. What are his motivations for this deception and how does it affect the rest of his family?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether or not it is ethical for a doctor to treat a patient that is not actually ill. If the outcome of the treatment is positive, does the doctor still have an obligation to be truthful? What are the moral implications of Dr. Purgon and Thomas Diaforus and his father treating Argan?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Beralde so dismissive of the medical profession? Is his attitude influenced by his brothers obsession? Is Beralde or Argan more indicative of Moliere's opinion on the medical profession?
This section contains 1,331 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)