|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Argan say he arranged for Angelique's marriage?
2. In Act 1, Scene 10, who does Beline accuse of listening at the door?
3. Who does Beline say is only trying to do what's right?
4. Who is called "every inch a splendid gentleman"?
5. Who is scolded for aggravating Argan?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 18, in addition to the discovery of Beline's motives, what other information is revealed about her marriage to Argan?
2. How does Toinette use Argan's illness to keep him away from Angelique's wedding?
3. What is the reason that Mr. Purgon cut all ties with Argan once his prescription was refused?
4. In Act 3, Scene 10, how does Toinette appearance demonstrate Argan's obsession with his illnesses?
5. How does Cleante's presence aid in Angelique's portrayal of remorse at her father's death?
6. Why did Argan mysteriously leave the room for the second time in the play?
7. As Angelique leaves, how do Argan's actions show his selfishness increasing?
8. How does Beline's treatment of Argan deepen his belief that he is ill?
9. How does Beline's reaction to seeing her husband dead affect Argan?
10. How does Argan's illness affect his realization of Angelique's feelings towards him?
Essay Topic 1
Moliere is himself extremely ill at the time of the play's premiere, in which he plays Argan himself. After collapsing on stage toward the end of the fourth performance, he goes home and dies. Discuss the irony of Moliere writing a play about an imaginary invalid when he himself is actually ill. What do you think Moliere is trying to say?
Essay Topic 2
One of the central themes of the play is that reality and appearances are hard to tell apart. Discuss instances of this occurring in the play and what you think Moliere is trying to say through this theme.
Essay Topic 3
Describe an instance in the play when a secret is kept. Is the truth hidden for a noble purpose? Is the objective a selfish one? How does keeping the secret make that character feel? Is lying ever a justifiable action?
This section contains 1,315 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)