|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Thomas and Mr. Diaforus determine Argan's illness?
2. Who agrees that Angelique finds a good match?
3. Instead of telling Argan what she saw, what does his youngest daughter offer to do instead?
4. Whom does Toinette say will be put in a convent?
5. What is Argan adding up in the beginning of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Argan's action of talking to himself further demonstrate his obsession with his illnesses?
2. How is foreshadowing used to set up the ordeal that makes Argan a doctor?
3. How did Beralde use Argan's own illness to demonstrate that Argan was not ill?
4. In Act 1, Scene 6, Argan demonstrates moments of conflict within himself. What is he conflicted about?
5. What two opinions do Beralde and Toinette have in common?
6. How does Beline's treatment of Argan deepen his belief that he is ill?
7. How does Beralde justify the doctor's likeness to Toinette?
8. How is foreshadowing used in Toinette's announcement of a new doctor's arrival?
9. How is foreshadowing used in the announcement of the arrival of Thomas Diaforus?
10. How does Beline's reaction to seeing her husband dead affect Argan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Beralde so dismissive of the medical profession? Is his attitude influenced by his brothers obsession? Is Beralde or Argan more indicative of Moliere's opinion on the medical profession?
Essay Topic 2
Devotion plays a key role in "The Imaginary Invalid". There is Angelique's devotion to Cleante, Argan's devotion to his illnesses and Beline's devotion to Argan's fortune to name a few. Is Moliere making the statement that devotion is always or never rewarded? What other characters in the play exhibit this characteristic and is their reward for their devotion?
Essay Topic 3
The importance of education is a focal point for Argan and others in the play. Discuss the importance of education in today's society. How does in compare to the era of the play?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)