|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Beline's relation to Angelique?
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, whom does Toinette tell to get out of the house?
3. Instead of telling Argan what she saw, what does his youngest daughter offer to do instead?
4. Who is called "every inch a splendid gentleman"?
5. Which two characters speak of Angelique's "ordained" meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Argan's desire to have his children cut out of his will further demonstrate his obsession with his illnesses?
2. How does Argan's selfishness come to light, even in his new found realizations about Angelique's feelings?
3. Why does Beline report on Angelique before she goes into town?
4. How is Argan's selfishness in choosing a husband for his daughter a result of his imaginary illness?
5. In Act 3, Scene 18, in addition to the discovery of Beline's motives, what other information is revealed about her marriage to Argan?
6. How does Beline's treatment of Argan deepen his belief that he is ill?
7. How can we tell that Louison is loyal to Angelique?
8. How does Beline's reaction to seeing her husband dead affect Argan?
9. How do Beralde and the players manage to convince Argan that the ceremony to make him a doctor is valid?
10. How does Beralde use Argan's illness to allow Toinette to leave to find the doctor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Moliere is himself extremely ill at the time of the play's premiere, in which he plays Argan himself. After collapsing on stage toward the end of the fourth performance, he goes home and dies. Discuss the irony of Moliere writing a play about an imaginary invalid when he himself is actually ill. What do you think Moliere is trying to say?
Essay Topic 2
Do you believe Argan really thinks he is sick? Why does he create these illnesses for himself?
Essay Topic 3
A central theme of this play is the internal struggle of mind versus body. There is credible doubt as to whether Argan is truly sick or if he is imagining his illness. Write an essay discussing another internal conflict presented in the play.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)