|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Argan ask to draw up a marriage contract?
2. Whom does Louison say was in Angelique's room?
3. This person arrives before Toinette can leave to find them.
4. Who does Beline say is only trying to do what's right?
5. In Act 2, Scene 1, whom does Toinette tell to get out of the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is foreshadowing used in Beline's admittance of her true feelings for Argan?
2. How does Beline's reaction to seeing her husband dead affect Argan?
3. How does the operetta that is performed show both Cleante and Angelique's feelings are true?
4. How does Beralde further demonstrate his disbelief in Argan's illnesses, once Mr. Purgon leaves?
5. What is the dilemma caused by the doctor's proposed severe treatment of losing an arm and an eye?
6. How does Beralde justify the doctor's likeness to Toinette?
7. What is the reason that Mr. Purgon cut all ties with Argan once his prescription was refused?
8. As Angelique leaves, how do Argan's actions show his selfishness increasing?
9. How does Beline's treatment of Argan deepen his belief that he is ill?
10. How does irony come into play with Beralde and Toinette's suggestion that Argan become a doctor himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether or not it is ethical for a doctor to treat a patient that is not actually ill. If the outcome of the treatment is positive, does the doctor still have an obligation to be truthful? What are the moral implications of Dr. Purgon and Thomas Diaforus and his father treating Argan?
Essay Topic 2
Obsession is a prevalent theme in the play. Using the play as an example, how do you behave if you are obsessed with love? With medicine? With food?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay detailing how Argan is easily fooled. Is it because of his willingness to agree with anything that supports his belief that he is ill? Is it because of the quality of the deception?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)