|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beralde believe about Argan's illnesses?
2. What is the name of the person that beats Louison?
3. In Act 3, Scene 2, what does Beralde make Argan promise?
4. Who is the speech that Thomas Diaforus mistakenly delivers to Angelique actually intended for?
5. Who would rather die than leave Angelique to herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Beralde further demonstrate his disbelief in Argan's illnesses, once Mr. Purgon leaves?
2. How is foreshadowing used in Toinette's announcement of a new doctor's arrival?
3. What is the reason that Mr. Purgon cut all ties with Argan once his prescription was refused?
4. How does Argan's illness affect his realization of Angelique's feelings towards him?
5. How does Beline's reaction to seeing her husband dead affect Argan?
6. How does Argan's action of talking to himself further demonstrate his obsession with his illnesses?
7. How is it demonstrated that Toinette is a trusted employee?
8. Highlight some of the differences between the relationship of father and daughter in "The Imaginary Invalid" and current father daughter relationships.
9. Explain how the plot element of secrecy is introduced in Act 1, Scene 3.
10. How does Argan's selfishness come to light, even in his new found realizations about Angelique's feelings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you believe Argan really thinks he is sick? Why does he create these illnesses for himself?
Essay Topic 2
In earlier versions of the play, Beralde and Toinette are romantically involved. How does this change the outcome of the play? What do you think the reasons are for Moliere changing this in the final version?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Argan with Beralde, especially in their final confrontation.
This section contains 1,439 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)