Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the person that beats Louison?
2. What does Beralde believe about Argan's illnesses?
3. Who does Beline say is only trying to do what's right?
4. When does Argan say Angelique will be married?
5. Who does Beline remind Argan is rewarded in his new will?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the dilemma caused by the doctor's proposed severe treatment of losing an arm and an eye?
2. How does Toinette use irony to convince Argan to pretend to be dead and test Beline?
3. How does Cleante's appearance in disguise demonstrate his love for Angelique?
4. How does the doctor deflect Argan's inquiries about his resemblance to Toinette?
5. How does the transitional scene, after Mr. Fleurant leaves, further inform Argan's hypochondria?
6. How does Beralde use Argan's own fears to help further Toinette's plans?
7. What is the reason that Mr. Purgon cut all ties with Argan once his prescription was refused?
8. In Act 3, Scene 10, how does Toinette appearance demonstrate Argan's obsession with his illnesses?
9. As Angelique leaves, how do Argan's actions show his selfishness increasing?
10. How is foreshadowing used in the announcement of the arrival of Thomas Diaforus?
Essay Topic 1
Who is it that is the master of the house? Who holds the deciding power? Which characters gain or lose influence over the household in the course of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay detailing how Argan is easily fooled. Is it because of his willingness to agree with anything that supports his belief that he is ill? Is it because of the quality of the deception?
Essay Topic 3
Argan's illnesses are a central theme to the play. Write an essay explaining why Argan is constantly deceiving himself into thinking he is ill. What are his motivations for this deception and how does it affect the rest of his family?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)