|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who agrees that Angelique finds a good match?
2. Toinette tries unsuccessfully to convince Argan of what in Act 2, Scene 3?
3. Who does Beline bring to Argan's house?
4. What body part does Mr. Diaforus believe that Argan's illness stems from?
5. How does Toinette plan to help Angelique marry Cleante?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Beline take offense at Angelique's comments about marriage?
2. As Angelique leaves, how do Argan's actions show his selfishness increasing?
3. In Act 3, Scene 18, in addition to the discovery of Beline's motives, what other information is revealed about her marriage to Argan?
4. How does Toinette, as the doctor, use her deception to aid Angelique?
5. How is Argan's selfishness in choosing a husband for his daughter a result of his imaginary illness?
6. What is the dilemma caused by the doctor's proposed severe treatment of losing an arm and an eye?
7. How does Angelique's indifference to her stepmother's selfish intent show the depth of her feelings for Cleante?
8. How does Toinette affect Angelique's discovery of her fathers death?
9. How is it demonstrated that Toinette is a trusted employee?
10. What does Beralde say about Beline that agrees with an earlier statement made by Toinette?
Essay Topic 1
Does desire and obsession cloud the ability to see the truth? What examples in the play demonstrate a desire that clouds someone's judgment or encourages them to act a certain way?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether or not it is ethical for a doctor to treat a patient that is not actually ill. If the outcome of the treatment is positive, does the doctor still have an obligation to be truthful? What are the moral implications of Dr. Purgon and Thomas Diaforus and his father treating Argan?
Essay Topic 3
Who is it that is the master of the house? Who holds the deciding power? Which characters gain or lose influence over the household in the course of the play?
This section contains 1,373 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)