|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Thomas and Mr. Diaforus determine Argan's illness?
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, whom does Toinette tell to get out of the house?
3. What does Beralde believe about Argan's illnesses?
4. What is Beline's relation to Angelique?
5. Who agrees that Angelique finds a good match?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the plot element of suspense used as Argan calls Angelique to her music lesson?
2. Why does Beline report on Angelique before she goes into town?
3. How does irony come into play with Beralde and Toinette's suggestion that Argan become a doctor himself?
4. What is the reason that Mr. Purgon cut all ties with Argan once his prescription was refused?
5. How does Cleante's presence aid in Angelique's portrayal of remorse at her father's death?
6. How did Beralde use Argan's own illness to demonstrate that Argan was not ill?
7. How does Toinette use Argan's illness to keep him away from Angelique's wedding?
8. As Angelique leaves, how do Argan's actions show his selfishness increasing?
9. How does Angelique's initial reaction to her father's death show her true feelings?
10. What are some of the possible motives for Beralde sending Mr. Fleurant away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you believe Argan really thinks he is sick? Why does he create these illnesses for himself?
Essay Topic 2
Several characters in the play overcome obstacles to achieve their goals. Choose one character and write an essay describing the obstacle they face and how they succeed despite it.
Essay Topic 3
Moliere states that the purpose of comedy is to correct men by making them laugh. Identify several behaviors or characters that Moliere demonstrates needing correction.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)