|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Argan trying to remember when he is counting?
2. Who is Argan calling for when he shouts "Come quick. I'm dying!"?
3. When does Argan say Angelique will be married?
4. Who does Beline say is only trying to do what's right?
5. What does Argan tell Angelique she cannot do until the wedding ceremony?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Toinette, as the doctor, use flattery to aid in the deception in Act 3, Scene 14?
2. Why does Beline take offense at Angelique's comments about marriage?
3. What is the reason that Mr. Purgon cut all ties with Argan once his prescription was refused?
4. As Angelique leaves, how do Argan's actions show his selfishness increasing?
5. How does the operetta that is performed show both Cleante and Angelique's feelings are true?
6. Besides fear of his own death, what does Argan fear his pretending may cause to occur?
7. How does Beline's reaction to seeing her husband dead affect Argan?
8. How does Argan's action of talking to himself further demonstrate his obsession with his illnesses?
9. How does Toinette dismiss Argan's fears that Louison hates him?
10. How does Angelique's initial reaction to her father's death show her true feelings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay detailing how Argan is easily fooled. Is it because of his willingness to agree with anything that supports his belief that he is ill? Is it because of the quality of the deception?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether or not it is ethical for a doctor to treat a patient that is not actually ill. If the outcome of the treatment is positive, does the doctor still have an obligation to be truthful? What are the moral implications of Dr. Purgon and Thomas Diaforus and his father treating Argan?
Essay Topic 3
Do you believe Argan really thinks he is sick? Why does he create these illnesses for himself?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)