|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Argan angry with his brother?
2. Who is told to wait with Angelique for an announcement?
3. What is Beline's relation to Angelique?
4. Whom does Toinette see talking to themselves?
5. Who tells Angelique that Beline is conspiring against her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cleante's presence aid in Angelique's portrayal of remorse at her father's death?
2. How is foreshadowing used in Toinette's announcement of a new doctor's arrival?
3. How does Argan's desire to have his children cut out of his will further demonstrate his obsession with his illnesses?
4. In Act 3, Scene 10, how does Toinette appearance demonstrate Argan's obsession with his illnesses?
5. How does Argan's illness affect his realization of Angelique's feelings towards him?
6. How does irony come into play with Beralde and Toinette's suggestion that Argan become a doctor himself?
7. As Angelique leaves, how do Argan's actions show his selfishness increasing?
8. How is Argan's fear that "playing dead" causes his real death ironic?
9. How does the doctor deflect Argan's inquiries about his resemblance to Toinette?
10. How does the conversation between Angelique and Toinette demonstrate the high regard that Toinette has achieved in the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Devotion plays a key role in "The Imaginary Invalid". There is Angelique's devotion to Cleante, Argan's devotion to his illnesses and Beline's devotion to Argan's fortune to name a few. Is Moliere making the statement that devotion is always or never rewarded? What other characters in the play exhibit this characteristic and is their reward for their devotion?
Essay Topic 2
Does desire and obsession cloud the ability to see the truth? What examples in the play demonstrate a desire that clouds someone's judgment or encourages them to act a certain way?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay detailing how Argan is easily fooled. Is it because of his willingness to agree with anything that supports his belief that he is ill? Is it because of the quality of the deception?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)