|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Argan's brother say he has come to see him?
2. Who suggests to Toinette that Argan get a new doctor?
3. In Act 3, Scene 2, what does Beralde make Argan promise?
4. Who is Mr. Diaforus?
5. Toinette tries unsuccessfully to convince Argan of what in Act 2, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Beline report on Angelique before she goes into town?
2. In Act 1, Scene 6, Argan demonstrates moments of conflict within himself. What is he conflicted about?
3. How does Cleante's appearance in disguise demonstrate his love for Angelique?
4. How is the author's use of irony exhibited in Toinette's comments about Argan's health?
5. How is foreshadowing used in Toinette's announcement of a new doctor's arrival?
6. How does Moliere use the diagnosis of Argan to express an opinion on doctors?
7. How does Toinette, as the doctor, use her deception to aid Angelique?
8. What physical tactics were used to help Toinette's disguise work?
9. How is foreshadowing used to set up the ordeal that makes Argan a doctor?
10. How does Beline's reaction to seeing her husband dead affect Argan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe an instance in the play when a secret is kept. Is the truth hidden for a noble purpose? Is the objective a selfish one? How does keeping the secret make that character feel? Is lying ever a justifiable action?
Essay Topic 2
Does desire and obsession cloud the ability to see the truth? What examples in the play demonstrate a desire that clouds someone's judgment or encourages them to act a certain way?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay detailing how Argan is easily fooled. Is it because of his willingness to agree with anything that supports his belief that he is ill? Is it because of the quality of the deception?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)