|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Bonnefoy's profession?
2. How do Thomas and Mr. Diaforus determine Argan's illness?
3. Why does Argan's brother say he has come to see him?
4. Why does Argan ask God to forgive him?
5. Whom does Toinette see talking to themselves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason that Mr. Purgon cut all ties with Argan once his prescription was refused?
2. How does the operetta that is performed show both Cleante and Angelique's feelings are true?
3. In Act 3, Scene 18, in addition to the discovery of Beline's motives, what other information is revealed about her marriage to Argan?
4. How does Beralde further demonstrate his disbelief in Argan's illnesses, once Mr. Purgon leaves?
5. How does Toinette dismiss Argan's fears that Louison hates him?
6. In Act 3, Scene 10, how does Toinette appearance demonstrate Argan's obsession with his illnesses?
7. How is Argan's fear that "playing dead" causes his real death ironic?
8. Highlight some of the differences between the relationship of father and daughter in "The Imaginary Invalid" and current father daughter relationships.
9. How does Toinette, as the doctor, use flattery to aid in the deception in Act 3, Scene 14?
10. What two opinions do Beralde and Toinette have in common?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In earlier versions of the play, Beralde and Toinette are romantically involved. How does this change the outcome of the play? What do you think the reasons are for Moliere changing this in the final version?
Essay Topic 2
Moliere is himself extremely ill at the time of the play's premiere, in which he plays Argan himself. After collapsing on stage toward the end of the fourth performance, he goes home and dies. Discuss the irony of Moliere writing a play about an imaginary invalid when he himself is actually ill. What do you think Moliere is trying to say?
Essay Topic 3
A central theme of this play is the internal struggle of mind versus body. There is credible doubt as to whether Argan is truly sick or if he is imagining his illness. Write an essay discussing another internal conflict presented in the play.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)