|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Beline's relation to Angelique?
2. Who is scolded for aggravating Argan?
3. After Louison exits who visits Argan?
(a) Mr. Diaforus.
4. Instead of telling Argan what she saw, what does his youngest daughter offer to do instead?
(a) Sing him a song.
(b) Move to a convent.
(c) Recite poetry.
(d) Tell him a story.
5. In Act 1, Scene 11, who startles Toinette by appearing at Argan's house unexpectedly?
Short Answer Questions
1. Toinette tries unsuccessfully to convince Argan of what in Act 2, Scene 3?
2. What relationship does Mr. Purgon accuse Beralde of interfering in?
3. Why is Cleante invited to meet Angelique's fiance?
4. Who does Beline bring to Argan's house?
5. Who is Argan calling for when he shouts "Come quick. I'm dying!"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 18, in addition to the discovery of Beline's motives, what other information is revealed about her marriage to Argan?
2. How do Beralde and the players manage to convince Argan that the ceremony to make him a doctor is valid?
3. As Angelique leaves, how do Argan's actions show his selfishness increasing?
4. How is foreshadowing used in the announcement of the arrival of Thomas Diaforus?
5. What is the reason that Mr. Purgon cut all ties with Argan once his prescription was refused?
6. How did Beralde use Argan's own illness to demonstrate that Argan was not ill?
7. What two opinions do Beralde and Toinette have in common?
8. How does Beline's reaction to seeing her husband dead affect Argan?
9. How does Beralde use Argan's own fears to help further Toinette's plans?
10. How does Cleante's presence aid in Angelique's portrayal of remorse at her father's death?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)