|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1, why does Cleante come to Argan's home?
(a) To examine Argan.
(b) To talk to Angelique.
(c) To steal Argan's money.
(d) To talk to Beline.
2. The operetta performed is the story of what two people?
(a) A master and servant.
(b) A doctor and patient.
(c) An ugly duckling.
(d) A shepard and shepardess.
3. In Act 2, Scene 1, whom does Toinette tell to get out of the house?
4. What profession does Argan believe is a good idea for Louison's husband?
(a) A notary.
(b) An apothacary.
(c) A music teacher.
(d) A gypsy.
5. In Act Three, Scene Six, what warning does Mr. Purgon issue to Argan regarding his health?
(a) That Argan's brother is after his money.
(b) That Argan will die without his prescriptions.
(c) That he will sue Argan for damages.
(d) That Beline is after his money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Toinette say will be put in a convent?
2. Who accompanies Mr. Diaforus to Argan's home?
3. What body part does Mr. Diaforus believe that Argan's illness stems from?
4. What is Beline's relation to Angelique?
5. What is the relationship between Mr. Purgon and Mr. Fleurant?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Argan's selfishness come to light, even in his new found realizations about Angelique's feelings?
2. How does Toinette use irony to convince Argan to pretend to be dead and test Beline?
3. How does Toinette affect Angelique's discovery of her fathers death?
4. In Act 3, Scene 2, what recurring plot point is introduced in the conversation between Beralde and Toinette?
5. How does Beline's reaction to seeing her husband dead affect Argan?
6. How did Beralde use Argan's own illness to demonstrate that Argan was not ill?
7. How does Beline's treatment of Argan deepen his belief that he is ill?
8. How does Argan's desire to have his children cut out of his will further demonstrate his obsession with his illnesses?
9. How does the title of the play influence the audience's initial perception of Argan?
10. In Act 3, Scene 12, how is suspense used as a plot device when Toinette returns as herself, after appearing as the doctor?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)