|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Angelique's younger sisters name?
2. Why does Beralde call Argan a fool?
(a) For marrying Angelique to an idiot.
(b) For hiding money in his rooms.
(c) For putting up with Toinette's insolence.
(d) For believing the obvious lies of Mr. Purgon.
3. What body part does Mr. Diaforus believe that Argan's illness stems from?
(a) His liver.
(b) His stomach.
(c) His heart.
(d) His spleen.
4. Who remarks to Argan, "And you're not even ill"?
(c) Thomas Diaforus.
5. Why does Argan's brother say he has come to see him?
(a) To present a match for Angelique.
(b) To give him money.
(c) To borrow money.
(d) To ask his advice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the person that beats Louison?
2. Who questions Beline's reasons for threatening Angelique?
3. How does Mr. Fleurant express his anger towards Beralde?
4. Who initially thinks Angelique's arranged marriage is the wisest thing Argan's ever done?
5. In Act 2, Scene 1, why does Cleante come to Argan's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Beline appears to have no interest in Argan's will. What clues are given demonstrating this might not be true?
2. How do Beralde and the players manage to convince Argan that the ceremony to make him a doctor is valid?
3. How does the title of the play influence the audience's initial perception of Argan?
4. How does Toinette, as the doctor, use flattery to aid in the deception in Act 3, Scene 14?
5. Why did Argan mysteriously leave the room for the second time in the play?
6. How does Beline's reaction to seeing her husband dead affect Argan?
7. In Act 3, Scene 2, what recurring plot point is introduced in the conversation between Beralde and Toinette?
8. How does Toinette manage to convince Argan that she is two people?
9. How does Angelique's indifference to her stepmother's selfish intent show the depth of her feelings for Cleante?
10. How is foreshadowing used in Beline's admittance of her true feelings for Argan?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)