|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Thomas and Mr. Diaforus determine Argan's illness?
(a) They take his pulse.
(b) They examine his fingers.
(c) They listen to his heart.
(d) They take his temperature.
2. How many francs does Argan have hidden in his room?
3. In Act Three, Scene Six, what warning does Mr. Purgon issue to Argan regarding his health?
(a) That Beline is after his money.
(b) That he will sue Argan for damages.
(c) That Argan will die without his prescriptions.
(d) That Argan's brother is after his money.
4. Who tells Angelique that Beline is conspiring against her?
(a) Mr. de Bonnefoi.
(b) Thomas Diaforus.
5. As the play beings, which character does Argan chastise aloud, but is not present in the room?
(c) Mr. Fleurant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Toinette says that is is pointless to argue with Mr. Daiforus?
2. What is Argan trying to remember when he is counting?
3. What does Beline say she cannot live without?
4. Why does Argan ask God to forgive him?
5. What profession does Argan believe is best for a future son-in-law?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Toinette, as the doctor, use her deception to aid Angelique?
2. Explain how the plot element of secrecy is introduced in Act 1, Scene 3.
3. How does Beralde further demonstrate his disbelief in Argan's illnesses, once Mr. Purgon leaves?
4. In Act 1, Scene 6, Argan demonstrates moments of conflict within himself. What is he conflicted about?
5. How does Argan's illness affect his realization of Angelique's feelings towards him?
6. What does Beralde say about Beline that agrees with an earlier statement made by Toinette?
7. How does the title of the play influence the audience's initial perception of Argan?
8. How is it demonstrated that Toinette is a trusted employee?
9. How do Beralde and the players manage to convince Argan that the ceremony to make him a doctor is valid?
10. How does Cleante's appearance in disguise demonstrate his love for Angelique?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)