|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Argan say he arranged for Angelique's marriage?
(a) Because it increases his wealth.
(b) Because their mother is dead.
(c) To get a son-in-law useful to himself.
(d) To please Beline.
2. Who is the person pretending to have an ankle injury?
(a) Thomas Diaforus.
3. How does Toinette plan to help Angelique marry Cleante?
(a) By exposing Thomas Diaforus faults.
(b) By helping Angelique escape.
(c) By advocating Cleante's virtues.
(d) By agreeing with Argan.
4. To whom does Argan promise Angelique's hand in marriage?
(a) Mr. Fleurant.
(d) Thomas Diaforus.
5. Whom does Toinette say will be put in a convent?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who questions Beline's reasons for threatening Angelique?
2. What is the name of the person that beats Louison?
3. Who is told to wait with Angelique for an announcement?
4. How many francs does Argan have hidden in his room?
5. What is Argan trying to remember when he is counting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason that Mr. Purgon cut all ties with Argan once his prescription was refused?
2. In Act 3, Scene 12, how is suspense used as a plot device when Toinette returns as herself, after appearing as the doctor?
3. How does Moliere use the diagnosis of Argan to express an opinion on doctors?
4. How does Toinette dismiss Argan's fears that Louison hates him?
5. Why does Beline report on Angelique before she goes into town?
6. What does Beralde say about Beline that agrees with an earlier statement made by Toinette?
7. How does the transitional scene, after Mr. Fleurant leaves, further inform Argan's hypochondria?
8. How does Argan's action of talking to himself further demonstrate his obsession with his illnesses?
9. In Act 3, Scene 10, how does Toinette appearance demonstrate Argan's obsession with his illnesses?
10. How does Toinette affect Angelique's discovery of her fathers death?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)