|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Beline's relation to Angelique?
2. Whom does Toinette see talking to themselves?
(b) Mr. Purgon.
3. In Act 2, Scene 1, why does Cleante come to Argan's home?
(a) To talk to Beline.
(b) To steal Argan's money.
(c) To talk to Angelique.
(d) To examine Argan.
4. Who remarks to Argan, "And you're not even ill"?
(c) Thomas Diaforus.
5. Who tells Argan he is "the picture of health"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Act 2, Scene 3, what does Toinette say to Argan about his health?
2. Who does Beline remind Argan is rewarded in his new will?
3. Who initially thinks Angelique's arranged marriage is the wisest thing Argan's ever done?
4. Who is Mr. Purgon's nephew?
5. Which character wears a nightcap?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Angelique's indifference to her stepmother's selfish intent show the depth of her feelings for Cleante?
2. How does Argan's selfishness come to light, even in his new found realizations about Angelique's feelings?
3. How does the conversation between Angelique and Toinette demonstrate the high regard that Toinette has achieved in the house?
4. How does Toinette, as the doctor, use her deception to aid Angelique?
5. How is foreshadowing used to set up the ordeal that makes Argan a doctor?
6. How is foreshadowing used in the announcement of the arrival of Thomas Diaforus?
7. What are some of the possible motives for Beralde sending Mr. Fleurant away?
8. Explain how the plot element of secrecy is introduced in Act 1, Scene 3.
9. What is the reason that Mr. Purgon cut all ties with Argan once his prescription was refused?
10. How does the title of the play influence the audience's initial perception of Argan?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)