|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Argan's brother say he has come to see him?
(a) To give him money.
(b) To borrow money.
(c) To present a match for Angelique.
(d) To ask his advice.
2. The operetta performed is the story of what two people?
(a) A doctor and patient.
(b) A master and servant.
(c) An ugly duckling.
(d) A shepard and shepardess.
3. What profession does Argan believe is a good idea for Louison's husband?
(a) A notary.
(b) A music teacher.
(c) A gypsy.
(d) An apothacary.
4. In Act 1, Scene 11, who startles Toinette by appearing at Argan's house unexpectedly?
5. What does Argan think of the gypsy song?
(a) He has no opinion.
(b) He likes it very much.
(c) He dislikes it very much.
(d) He thinks it is simple.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Beline say is only trying to do what's right?
2. What does Beralde ask Argan to do in front of the apothecary?
3. Instead of telling Argan what she saw, what does his youngest daughter offer to do instead?
4. How are the gypsy's dressed that accompany Beralde?
5. To whom does Argan wish his fortune to go to upon his death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Beline report on Angelique before she goes into town?
2. How is Argan's selfishness in choosing a husband for his daughter a result of his imaginary illness?
3. How does Argan's illness affect his realization of Angelique's feelings towards him?
4. Besides fear of his own death, what does Argan fear his pretending may cause to occur?
5. How does Beralde use Argan's illness to allow Toinette to leave to find the doctor?
6. How is foreshadowing used to set up the ordeal that makes Argan a doctor?
7. How does Toinette use irony to convince Argan to pretend to be dead and test Beline?
8. How does Toinette affect Angelique's discovery of her fathers death?
9. In Act 3, Scene 18, in addition to the discovery of Beline's motives, what other information is revealed about her marriage to Argan?
10. How is it demonstrated that Toinette is a trusted employee?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)