|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who accompanies Mr. Diaforus to Argan's home?
(a) His son.
(b) The music teacher.
(c) Argan's doctor.
(d) His daughter.
2. How many francs does Argan have hidden in his room?
3. Act 2, Scene 3, what does Toinette say to Argan about his health?
(a) That he will soon be dead.
(b) That he is very ill and looks it.
(c) That he is not contagious.
(d) That he is looking well.
4. What kind of mixture does Mr. Purgon say he prepared for Argan?
(a) A mysterious mixture.
(b) A mixture of untold strength.
(c) A mythical mixture.
(d) A special and extraordinary mixture.
5. How do Thomas and Mr. Diaforus determine Argan's illness?
(a) They take his temperature.
(b) They listen to his heart.
(c) They take his pulse.
(d) They examine his fingers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Argan do after hearing the gypsy song?
2. Who is the person pretending to have an ankle injury?
3. Toinette tries unsuccessfully to convince Argan of what in Act 2, Scene 3?
4. What is the name of the person that beats Louison?
5. How does Argan describe his reasons for arranging Angelique's marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Argan's belief that he is an important man reinforced by the new doctor's appearance?
2. Highlight some of the differences between the relationship of father and daughter in "The Imaginary Invalid" and current father daughter relationships.
3. How does Beline's reaction to seeing her husband dead affect Argan?
4. Why does Beline report on Angelique before she goes into town?
5. How is foreshadowing used in Toinette's announcement of a new doctor's arrival?
6. How is foreshadowing used to set up the ordeal that makes Argan a doctor?
7. How does the operetta that is performed show both Cleante and Angelique's feelings are true?
8. Beline appears to have no interest in Argan's will. What clues are given demonstrating this might not be true?
9. How is it demonstrated that Toinette is a trusted employee?
10. How does Beline's treatment of Argan deepen his belief that he is ill?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)