|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many francs does Argan have hidden in his room?
2. Who initially thinks Angelique's arranged marriage is the wisest thing Argan's ever done?
(c) Mr. Fleurant.
3. What profession does Argan believe is a good idea for Louison's husband?
(a) An apothacary.
(b) A music teacher.
(c) A gypsy.
(d) A notary.
4. Who is called "every inch a splendid gentleman"?
(c) Mr. Fleurant.
5. How does Argan describe his reasons for arranging Angelique's marriage?
(a) As Beline's idea.
(b) As sensible.
(c) As whimsical.
(d) As necessary.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Argan angry with his brother?
2. What does Argan tell Angelique she cannot do until the wedding ceremony?
3. Who masquerades as a music teacher?
4. What relationship does Mr. Purgon accuse Beralde of interfering in?
5. After Louison exits who visits Argan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Toinette, as the doctor, use her deception to aid Angelique?
2. How does Toinette, as the doctor, use flattery to aid in the deception in Act 3, Scene 14?
3. How is foreshadowing used in Beline's admittance of her true feelings for Argan?
4. Why does Beline take offense at Angelique's comments about marriage?
5. How does the conversation between Angelique and Toinette demonstrate the high regard that Toinette has achieved in the house?
6. As Angelique leaves, how do Argan's actions show his selfishness increasing?
7. How is Argan's fear that "playing dead" causes his real death ironic?
8. What two opinions do Beralde and Toinette have in common?
9. How does the doctor deflect Argan's inquiries about his resemblance to Toinette?
10. How does Argan's selfishness come to light, even in his new found realizations about Angelique's feelings?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)