|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Argan ask God to forgive him?
(a) For making too much money.
(b) For being weak.
(c) For causing Beline's distress.
(d) For causing his daughter's death.
2. What does Argan think of the gypsy song?
(a) He dislikes it very much.
(b) He has no opinion.
(c) He thinks it is simple.
(d) He likes it very much.
3. Who agrees that Angelique finds a good match?
(a) Mr. Fleurant.
4. What kind of mixture does Mr. Purgon say he prepared for Argan?
(a) A mixture of untold strength.
(b) A mysterious mixture.
(c) A special and extraordinary mixture.
(d) A mythical mixture.
5. Why doesn't Argan notice his daughters reaction to seeing her music teacher?
(a) He is looking out the window.
(b) He is not in the room.
(c) He is distracted by someone at the door.
(d) Angelique does not react.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who states that Angelique's music master is called out of Paris?
2. What does Beralde ask Argan to do in front of the apothecary?
3. Who is heard singing off stage after Argan gives his ultimatum about the impending marriage?
4. What does Beline say she must do before leaving for town?
5. What causes Beralde to comment that Argan must be feeling better?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is foreshadowing used in Toinette's announcement of a new doctor's arrival?
2. How does the operetta that is performed show both Cleante and Angelique's feelings are true?
3. Beline appears to have no interest in Argan's will. What clues are given demonstrating this might not be true?
4. How is the plot element of suspense used as Argan calls Angelique to her music lesson?
5. Why does Beline report on Angelique before she goes into town?
6. How is foreshadowing used in Beline's admittance of her true feelings for Argan?
7. How does irony come into play with Beralde and Toinette's suggestion that Argan become a doctor himself?
8. Why does Beline take offense at Angelique's comments about marriage?
9. Besides fear of his own death, what does Argan fear his pretending may cause to occur?
10. How does Toinette manage to convince Argan that she is two people?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)