|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mr. Diaforus?
(a) The music teacher.
(b) Beline's lover.
(c) Argan's mistress.
(d) A doctor.
2. Act 2, Scene 3, what does Toinette say to Argan about his health?
(a) That he will soon be dead.
(b) That he is not contagious.
(c) That he is very ill and looks it.
(d) That he is looking well.
3. In Act 1, Scene 11, who startles Toinette by appearing at Argan's house unexpectedly?
4. Whom does Toinette see talking to themselves?
(d) Mr. Purgon.
5. Why doesn't Argan notice his daughters reaction to seeing her music teacher?
(a) He is distracted by someone at the door.
(b) Angelique does not react.
(c) He is not in the room.
(d) He is looking out the window.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who states that Angelique's music master is called out of Paris?
2. Instead of telling Argan what she saw, what does his youngest daughter offer to do instead?
3. Who agrees that Angelique finds a good match?
4. Who is the person pretending to have an ankle injury?
5. How does Mr. Fleurant express his anger towards Beralde?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Argan's belief that he is an important man reinforced by the new doctor's appearance?
2. What is the reason that Mr. Purgon cut all ties with Argan once his prescription was refused?
3. How is foreshadowing used to set up the ordeal that makes Argan a doctor?
4. How does Argan's desire to have his children cut out of his will further demonstrate his obsession with his illnesses?
5. How does Argan's action of talking to himself further demonstrate his obsession with his illnesses?
6. How does Beralde further demonstrate his disbelief in Argan's illnesses, once Mr. Purgon leaves?
7. How does Beralde use Argan's illness to allow Toinette to leave to find the doctor?
8. How does irony come into play with Beralde and Toinette's suggestion that Argan become a doctor himself?
9. How does Beralde justify the doctor's likeness to Toinette?
10. How is Argan's selfishness in choosing a husband for his daughter a result of his imaginary illness?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)