|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Argan describe his reasons for arranging Angelique's marriage?
(a) As necessary.
(b) As sensible.
(c) As whimsical.
(d) As Beline's idea.
2. Which two characters speak of Angelique's "ordained" meeting?
(a) Angelique and Cleante.
(b) Beline and Cleante.
(c) Angelique and Toinette.
(d) Toinette and Beline.
3. To whom does Argan wish his fortune to go to upon his death?
(a) His children.
(b) His doctor.
(c) His wife.
(d) His servant.
4. What causes Beralde to comment that Argan must be feeling better?
(a) Argan has dismissed his servants.
(b) Argan is entertaining guests.
(c) Argan is looking better.
(d) Argan can hear and speak.
5. As the play beings, which character does Argan chastise aloud, but is not present in the room?
(c) Mr. Fleurant.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 11, who startles Toinette by appearing at Argan's house unexpectedly?
2. How do Thomas and Mr. Diaforus determine Argan's illness?
3. How does Mr. Fleurant express his anger towards Beralde?
4. Whom does Louison say was in Angelique's room?
5. What does Mr. Purgon instructed Argan to eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is foreshadowing used to set up the ordeal that makes Argan a doctor?
2. What are some of the possible motives for Beralde sending Mr. Fleurant away?
3. How did Beralde use Argan's own illness to demonstrate that Argan was not ill?
4. How is the plot element of suspense used as Argan calls Angelique to her music lesson?
5. What is the dilemma caused by the doctor's proposed severe treatment of losing an arm and an eye?
6. How does Beline's reaction to seeing her husband dead affect Argan?
7. How is foreshadowing used in Beline's admittance of her true feelings for Argan?
8. How does irony come into play with Beralde and Toinette's suggestion that Argan become a doctor himself?
9. What does Beralde say about Beline that agrees with an earlier statement made by Toinette?
10. How does the conversation between Angelique and Toinette demonstrate the high regard that Toinette has achieved in the house?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)