|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who suggests to Toinette that Argan get a new doctor?
2. Who is the person pretending to have an ankle injury?
(d) Thomas Diaforus.
3. Who initially thinks Angelique's arranged marriage is the wisest thing Argan's ever done?
(c) Mr. Fleurant.
4. How does Beralde believe that Angelique's husband should be chosen?
(a) By Beline's decision.
(b) By mutually agreed match.
(c) By a singing contest.
(d) By her fathers decision.
5. Why does Argan say he arranged for Angelique's marriage?
(a) To get a son-in-law useful to himself.
(b) To please Beline.
(c) Because their mother is dead.
(d) Because it increases his wealth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Argan think of the gypsy song?
2. Whom does Toinette say will be put in a convent?
3. In Act 1, Scene 3, who leaves the room saying "Back in a minute"?
4. What is Argan adding up in the beginning of the play?
5. Who states that Angelique's music master is called out of Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Angelique leaves, how do Argan's actions show his selfishness increasing?
2. How does Beralde further demonstrate his disbelief in Argan's illnesses, once Mr. Purgon leaves?
3. Besides fear of his own death, what does Argan fear his pretending may cause to occur?
4. How does Argan's selfishness come to light, even in his new found realizations about Angelique's feelings?
5. How does Beralde use Argan's illness to allow Toinette to leave to find the doctor?
6. What does Beralde say about Beline that agrees with an earlier statement made by Toinette?
7. How does Beralde justify the doctor's likeness to Toinette?
8. How is Argan's fear that "playing dead" causes his real death ironic?
9. Beline appears to have no interest in Argan's will. What clues are given demonstrating this might not be true?
10. In Act 3, Scene 10, how does Toinette appearance demonstrate Argan's obsession with his illnesses?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)