|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thomas Diaforus call Argan?
(a) His new father.
(b) A sick old man.
(c) An esteemed gentleman.
(d) My good sir.
2. Who remarks to Argan, "And you're not even ill"?
(a) Thomas Diaforus.
3. Why does Argan say he arranged for Angelique's marriage?
(a) Because it increases his wealth.
(b) To please Beline.
(c) To get a son-in-law useful to himself.
(d) Because their mother is dead.
4. In Act 2, Scene 1, why does Cleante come to Argan's home?
(a) To examine Argan.
(b) To talk to Beline.
(c) To steal Argan's money.
(d) To talk to Angelique.
5. Who tells Argan he is "the picture of health"?
Short Answer Questions
1. After Louison exits who visits Argan?
2. Who is the person taking many prescriptions?
3. Who would rather die than leave Angelique to herself?
4. What does Beline say she cannot live without?
5. What causes Beralde to comment that Argan must be feeling better?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Toinette use Argan's illness to keep him away from Angelique's wedding?
2. How does Toinette, as the doctor, use flattery to aid in the deception in Act 3, Scene 14?
3. How does Argan's action of talking to himself further demonstrate his obsession with his illnesses?
4. What is the dilemma caused by the doctor's proposed severe treatment of losing an arm and an eye?
5. How does the conversation between Angelique and Toinette demonstrate the high regard that Toinette has achieved in the house?
6. How does Cleante's appearance in disguise demonstrate his love for Angelique?
7. Why does Beline take offense at Angelique's comments about marriage?
8. How does the doctor deflect Argan's inquiries about his resemblance to Toinette?
9. What are some of the possible motives for Beralde sending Mr. Fleurant away?
10. How does Toinette manage to convince Argan that she is two people?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)