|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Argan describe his reasons for arranging Angelique's marriage?
(a) As whimsical.
(b) As Beline's idea.
(c) As necessary.
(d) As sensible.
2. What does Beralde believe about Argan's illnesses?
(a) They they are imaginary.
(b) That they will infect Argan's household.
(c) That he will have the same illness.
(d) That they soon will kill Argan.
3. Why doesn't Argan notice his daughters reaction to seeing her music teacher?
(a) Angelique does not react.
(b) He is looking out the window.
(c) He is distracted by someone at the door.
(d) He is not in the room.
4. Who is the person pretending to have an ankle injury?
(d) Thomas Diaforus.
5. In Act Three, Scene Six, what warning does Mr. Purgon issue to Argan regarding his health?
(a) That Argan will die without his prescriptions.
(b) That Beline is after his money.
(c) That he will sue Argan for damages.
(d) That Argan's brother is after his money.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Thomas and Mr. Diaforus determine Argan's illness?
2. What does Mr. Purgon instructed Argan to eat?
3. What kind of mixture does Mr. Purgon say he prepared for Argan?
4. Who is scolded for aggravating Argan?
5. Who is the person taking many prescriptions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Argan mysteriously leave the room for the second time in the play?
2. Why does Beline report on Angelique before she goes into town?
3. In Act 3, Scene 12, how is suspense used as a plot device when Toinette returns as herself, after appearing as the doctor?
4. How is the plot element of suspense used as Argan calls Angelique to her music lesson?
5. How does Beralde use Argan's illness to allow Toinette to leave to find the doctor?
6. How does Moliere use the diagnosis of Argan to express an opinion on doctors?
7. What is the dilemma caused by the doctor's proposed severe treatment of losing an arm and an eye?
8. How does Toinette dismiss Argan's fears that Louison hates him?
9. How does the conversation between Angelique and Toinette demonstrate the high regard that Toinette has achieved in the house?
10. How can we tell that Louison is loyal to Angelique?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)