|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Argan say he arranged for Angelique's marriage?
(a) Because their mother is dead.
(b) Because it increases his wealth.
(c) To get a son-in-law useful to himself.
(d) To please Beline.
2. Who initially thinks Angelique's arranged marriage is the wisest thing Argan's ever done?
(a) Mr. Fleurant.
3. What is Angelique's younger sisters name?
4. Instead of telling Argan what she saw, what does his youngest daughter offer to do instead?
(a) Recite poetry.
(b) Sing him a song.
(c) Tell him a story.
(d) Move to a convent.
5. In Act 2, Scene 1, why does Cleante come to Argan's home?
(a) To examine Argan.
(b) To steal Argan's money.
(c) To talk to Angelique.
(d) To talk to Beline.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Louison exits who visits Argan?
2. What does Argan tell Angelique she cannot do until the wedding ceremony?
3. Who is the person pretending to have an ankle injury?
4. What relationship does Mr. Purgon accuse Beralde of interfering in?
5. What does Mr. Purgon instructed Argan to eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the doctor deflect Argan's inquiries about his resemblance to Toinette?
2. How is foreshadowing used in the announcement of the arrival of Thomas Diaforus?
3. How is foreshadowing used to set up the ordeal that makes Argan a doctor?
4. As Angelique leaves, how do Argan's actions show his selfishness increasing?
5. How does Argan's selfishness come to light, even in his new found realizations about Angelique's feelings?
6. How is the plot element of suspense used as Argan calls Angelique to her music lesson?
7. How does Toinette affect Angelique's discovery of her fathers death?
8. How does Angelique's indifference to her stepmother's selfish intent show the depth of her feelings for Cleante?
9. In Act 3, Scene 18, in addition to the discovery of Beline's motives, what other information is revealed about her marriage to Argan?
10. Why does Beline take offense at Angelique's comments about marriage?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)